Ultima X Tease

The Electronic Arts' X Event is online offering super-secret sign ups for an event to unveil the semi-secret Ultima X project. According the information passed along to us about the event by some loose lips, "Ultima X: Odyssey is the next evolution of online gaming," and the event to unveil the RPG will be held in San Francisco on August 21-22, 2003.
View : : :
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Sons of bitches!!!
Sep 24, 2003, 21:40
Sons of bitches!!! Sep 24, 2003, 21:40
Sep 24, 2003, 21:40

Fuck the whole lot of bastards that gave us UO, UO.314, OXU.. U9 These anagrams drive my crazy! What happed to names? I suppose the same thing that happened to decent single player role playing games named ultima- They got flushed down the can! Answer me this: at the end of u9 the avatar destroyed himself and the guardian to (this is the only thing that makes sense) join back together and ascend. WHAT THE FUCK IS THE GUARDIAN DOING IN A SEQUAL? Does this piss anyone else off? WTF was 7-9 for fun? shits and giggles all that time and effort to fix the problem of the guardian and it's not really fixed? A retarded sloth hopped up on crack and ritalin could create a more sound and enjoyable storyline in a shorter amount of time. Where are the writers? Do they have a pulse? Have they all died? The janitor... they must have hired the janitor to write. DAMMIt I LOVED Ultima 7 part 2 so much and then they fuck up everything. How dare they make such a good game and then screw it all to hell. dammit. DAMMIT!

I think that's all I have to say.

Re: How will it suceed?
Aug 15, 2003, 23:08
Re: How will it suceed? Aug 15, 2003, 23:08
Aug 15, 2003, 23:08

i fully agree with you, it will succeed!

How will it suceed?
Aug 14, 2003, 10:35
How will it suceed? Aug 14, 2003, 10:35
Aug 14, 2003, 10:35

Well first of all it is backed by the biggest gaming corp in the world, for better or worse UXO has a much better chance of success with EA behind it than without. Secondly it has one of the best brand names in computer rpgs, I started playing Ultima games sometime in the early to mid 80's. Finally, it not only has the expierence of UO, one of the biggest mmorpgs still today, but the experience of the attempt to make UO2. While UO2 was a failure, I'm sure much was learned from this attempt. I'm guessing this game will be very good as EA will not want a repeat of either U9 or UO2, and I for one am very much looking forward to it.

I think the real question is if it will incorporate any of the Ultima storyline in the game (esp in light of Ultima 9). Mmorpgs rarely have good storylines and it would be a breath of fresh air to find one that does.

Richard Garriot was Fired.
Aug 13, 2003, 23:01
Richard Garriot was Fired. Aug 13, 2003, 23:01
Aug 13, 2003, 23:01

I thought they got rid of the whole team with everyone in it and they had a Ultima "Funeral" party where they burned things and sait here goodbyes, without Garriot how will this game succeed?

"There will never be another Ultima Game" Hmm weird eh?

i guess also it will be expanded into the previous idea of Ultima Online 2: Online Another World.

Re: No subject
Jul 31, 2003, 17:22
Re: No subject Jul 31, 2003, 17:22
Jul 31, 2003, 17:22

I just saw the clip and I think the scenery look pretty good. I've been a big fan of Ultima since QotA and loved UO when it first came out. I don't see how you can, from one clip, say that UXO is going to be bad. Overall the Ultima series has been great and although 9 had its problems, 9/10 isn't so bad of an average. Remember they had UO2 almost finished when they scrapped it rather than release a buggy version. I'm thinking they learned their lesson from U9 and UXO will be pretty clean. At least I hope so.

Jul 31, 2003, 08:41
Re: No subject Jul 31, 2003, 08:41
Jul 31, 2003, 08:41

No offense taken.
I am not deceived because I know that it will be a MMORPG.

I know that MMORPGs are a certain source of cashflow, but I also think that MMORPGs have to evolve, too to stay competitive. Tabula Rasa shows that there is a way to evolve this genre and I fear that UX:O may stay behind if it will just be UO in 3D.
EA has to interest single-player fans in this game, too. Otherwise it might loose against Tabula Rasa, Mythica, World of Warcraft and Middle Earth Online.

Another thing, other companies show that single-player games can be very successful. Bioware for example, their new single-player RPG "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic" sold 250,000 copies in the first four days after release. Gothic 2 ist very successful, too (in the countries it has been released as of yet).
Of course I also think that a single-player game has to be released on console as well to be successful. But with the XBox a port is not that difficult anymore.
So I think EA might miss a market by abandoning single-player RPGs.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 08:43.

Jul 31, 2003, 08:21
Re: No subject Jul 31, 2003, 08:21
Jul 31, 2003, 08:21

No offense, but if you're "deceived" into buying UX:O because you think it's a single-player game then you're an idiot. Who in their right mind would buy a game without knowing what it's about?

Anyway, EA are a corporation who want to make money. They are exceedingly good at doing so, and they know that online games are the future. Thus, they are investing as much as they can in UO, they want it to become the market leader. They are quite confident that the UXO addition to the service will significantly boost their subscriber numbers beyond the current figure.

Sure, it was a shame that they let the single player Ultima series go out with a whimper, and have clamped down on some other single player franchises, but it's just business to them. Ultima Online is their flagship product in this area, so they're finally starting to give it the treatment it deserves. All the better for the quarter of a million players of UO who each give them $13 a month. Sorry to disappoint everyone, but UO is stronger than ever, it's not "dying" as seems to be the popular opinion on general games pages like this one.

Jul 31, 2003, 06:20
Re: No subject Jul 31, 2003, 06:20
Jul 31, 2003, 06:20

@El_Cristor:
We misunderstood a lot of the history of EA?
Electronic Arts forced Garriott to release Ultima 8 early, so that an unfinished product was put on the shelves (ever wondered why the starting file was called demo.bat?).
Ultima 9 promised to become the greatest RPG ever, when Warren Spector was still Lead Designer (the world was huge, the story was complex, there was a party planned, an interactivity that surpassed that of Ultima 7, the NPCs would all have had schedules like in Ultima 7...). But when EA put the game on hold and Warren Spector left Origin, everything was lost.
Yes Garriott bugged EA that he could finish Ultima 9, but he didn't get enough time to make it right.
Electronic Arts also destoryed the Wing Commander series, they are sitting on the rights of this franchise and are doing nothing with it - Chris Roberts is trying to buy the rights for years and EA doesn't want to sell them.
EA also destroyed Crusader, Bioforge, Lands of Lore, Bard's Tale...
Sorry, but I lost all respect for EA.
They just want to make profit with the least effort, they know that their games need no quality for them to be successful. They don't even seem to know the term "innovation".

And if Ultima X: Odyssey is just an enhanced UO and nothing more then EA is deceiving and mocking the long-time single-player fans for which I despise them.

This comment was edited on Jul 31, 08:44.

EA keep it simple
Jul 31, 2003, 02:51
EA keep it simple Jul 31, 2003, 02:51
Jul 31, 2003, 02:51

If Ultima X is Ultima III with updated graphics and story then I would be happy. Keep it simple!

No subject
Jul 31, 2003, 02:00
No subject Jul 31, 2003, 02:00
Jul 31, 2003, 02:00

Ultima's broken now, for god's sake just let it die.
"Only J00 can prevent Forum Fires"
-Smokah teh ß3@|2

Re: Best outdoor areas?
Jul 31, 2003, 00:43
Re: Best outdoor areas? Jul 31, 2003, 00:43
Jul 31, 2003, 00:43

Well, that was a waste of time and a joke. That demo should have loaded in about twenty seconds but took twenty minutes and then it was cack.

Damn...

Re: Best outdoor areas?
Jul 31, 2003, 00:31
Re: Best outdoor areas? Jul 31, 2003, 00:31
Jul 31, 2003, 00:31

U9 was a great game until about halfway through and by then I was ready to throw my PC out the window because the game ran like cack. I displayed remarkable patience up to that point.

That other guy is right though. I have tried running U9 on two new PCs since the release and it still runs like cack. Just crappy code I would have to believe.

I would buy another Ultima if it was single player and it had a playable demo out before release. I will never buy another game without a demo that gives me an idea of the what to expect in the finished product. I know it is not a sure thing but I still prefer a demo over a video and screen shots. Of course some games I am willing to take a chance on... but once bitten twice shy.

Damn that teaser is taking forever to load. Looks like somebody is scimping on the bandwidth...

Best outdoor areas?
Jul 30, 2003, 23:53
Best outdoor areas? Jul 30, 2003, 23:53
Jul 30, 2003, 23:53

U9 was fragged! Damn the crew behind that pile of crud. I'm sorry to be so opinionated, but the fact is that U9 had a mishmash of good ideas thrown together, packaged and thrown on a shelf.
The engine was flawed beyond rescue, the dialouge system lacked any semblance of thought and was completely broken, to the point where clicking on certain responses would restart the conversation as though you'd never spoken to the character before (obviously wrecking any quests you'd started). The plotline was something out of Legend of Zelda and frankly I felt cheated that they would even call it an Ultima.
It had the best nothing. Morrowind was what U9 should have been... only not so hardware intensive!
The 3D Engine in U9 was so utterly flawed that even now, with a Radeon 9700 Pro, a 3.06 GHZ Pentium and a gigabyte of RAM I'm still getting chop in the midst of "Lord British" castle... which is nothing more than a box, two staircases and foul character models.

I spit on any attempt by Origin to create another installment in this series.

Re: Here's my opinion
Jul 30, 2003, 22:43
nin
Re: Here's my opinion Jul 30, 2003, 22:43
Jul 30, 2003, 22:43
nin

How comes they've called it Ultima X if it's an online jobby?

Because EA thinks we're all stupid and won't remember how that canceled their last Ultima online game and never fixed the last Ultima single player game.

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

http://www.originaltrilogy.com/

Jul 30, 2003, 20:25
Re: No subject Jul 30, 2003, 20:25
Jul 30, 2003, 20:25

Is there any way to sign up for the event?

Jul 30, 2003, 20:04
Re: No subject Jul 30, 2003, 20:04
Jul 30, 2003, 20:04

Hey I just wondering. Who deserves more credit for UO?
Raph Koster or Richard Garriot? Raph Koster is working on SWG right?
The outdoor areas on ultima 9 are the best I've seen in any game. I hope the people who designed them are working on Ultima X.

Jul 30, 2003, 19:38
Re: No subject Jul 30, 2003, 19:38

EA know exactly what they're doing, you just seem to have misunderstood quite a lot of the history of OSI/EA.

First, Garriot certainly did not fund U9 himself, EA grudgingly made the game because Garriot kept bugging them to.

Anyway, they decided 6 months after UO came out that they should start work on UO2 because the first was a success. After 3 years though, the game was still a year from launch, was fundamentally flawed in a couple of key areas, and even if it did ever get finished, it was going to cannabalise the now very successful UO (Garriot, Starr Long etc. all tried to discourage UO2 from being started for this very reason). So EA canned it.

However, they knew that they could not compete on the market with UO forever, because of the bad image it still had from the early days and the unimpressive graphics. So they decided to start making a "UO2.0" (not a sequel, but rather a huuuge upgrade). There were some leaks about this back in Summer 2001.

Recently it was discovered that "UO2.0" is really known as "Ultima X: Odyssey". This UX:O game, while a free-standing MMORPG in its own right, is actually a massive upgrade to the Ultima Online service as a whole.

The current thinking on various fan-sites is that it is an online game that takes place in the world after the events of Ultima Ascension (this is a neat way for the developers to create a brand new, fully 3D version of Britannia whilst keeping the fiction of UO consistant).

There are also rumours that characters from UO can be brought forth into the new game, but still nothing official on that yet. Just wait 3 weeks, there's going to be massive amounts of information on it then.

Re: Here's my opinion
Re: Here's my opinion Jul 30, 2003, 19:38

How comes they've called it Ultima X if it's an online jobby? Hope they create another single player Ultima in the style of the ninth,... better still in the style of Gothic II. Now -that's- how you make a great RPG. Faaaantastic. Combat needs a little work though...

Here's my opinion
Jul 30, 2003, 18:49
Here's my opinion Jul 30, 2003, 18:49
Jul 30, 2003, 18:49

Fuck you EA, and I hope the game crashes and burns.

Creston

No subject
Jul 30, 2003, 18:19
No subject Jul 30, 2003, 18:19
Jul 30, 2003, 18:19

EA needs to make up their damned minds!

At first they didn't want to do an Ultima 9, this caused Garriott to pay for it out of HIS pocket. Then they thought they needed an Ultima Online 2... then they decided it needed a name change, so it became Ultima Worlds Online, so they cancelled that. So now 3rd Dawn needed to be done, so now they decide they need an Ultima X. What the fuck.

And of course... It's the next evolution in online gaming... just like everything else coming out. Guh.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older