Jul 29, 2003, 05:48
Re: No subject Jul 29, 2003, 05:48
Jul 29, 2003, 05:48

uhm....yeah

No subject
Jul 29, 2003, 00:02
No subject Jul 29, 2003, 00:02
Jul 29, 2003, 00:02

Yeah well I care, just even at a basic human compasion level, if you say you dont or supress your feelings and cant ok fine. You also might want to consider not reading something that clearly says someone died if you have this state of mind. Also you are asking Blue to change based on your lack of feelings or caring, why would you impose your morality on others, doesnt sound that fair, does it?

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 00:04.

Re: A hoax or not?
Jul 28, 2003, 21:49
Re: A hoax or not? Jul 28, 2003, 21:49
Jul 28, 2003, 21:49

Feeling and actually caring are two completely different things.

A hoax or not?
Jul 28, 2003, 16:59
A hoax or not? Jul 28, 2003, 16:59
Jul 28, 2003, 16:59

First, Wasrad.....I am a mother of two teens. Mothers are special for what they had done and try to do. You raise your kids the best way you can. Hopefully, the knowledge, wisdom, advice you gave will be taken in and they outlive you. When I read in the papers or hear about a senseless killing of a teen or child, I do feel. As John Donne wrote: "No Man is an Island unto himself", that goes for women too.

As for Ratboy, I did receive your comments and thanks for the help/links. There are others who have also been searching and come up with the same. It does look like a hoax...a very sad, sick one at that. I still do not think it's Bosatsu, though...at least I am hoping it is not.

Yes, I do realize this is a stranger posting under Bosatsu's account, at first. Then the person registered under their own name and started posting shortly after. We are all waiting to see if this person comes back. The IPs have been checked. At Runegame.com, all registrations are finalized manually to prevent hacking and "spoofing" after what happened in early 2002. The boards were updated and secured shortly afterwards. Never had another incident since. This is why this is so troubling.

I am well aware hoaxes and false stories are rampant in the Internet. Just like making up Newspaper stories to fill slow day or listening to good "whopper" while getting your leg pulled. Nothing new. Yes, you do develop a hard shell and can become very cynical after several burnings.

I come to Blue's News to keep up on what is going on in the Gaming World. This is great site for what I need to know to keep up on all the technology. Get a kick out of the "etc." findings/links and post some of them in our own "misc." forum ("Biting the Shield").

So to whomever found and posted the Runegame.com topic to your "news" section, "Thank you". To all those who posted their thoughts about it, skeptical or not, they are appreciated.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 17:07.

No subject
Jul 28, 2003, 16:02
No subject Jul 28, 2003, 16:02
Jul 28, 2003, 16:02

Thanks Ratboy for all the work
Looks like you guys were right it was a hoax, sad.
The thread tile on Runegame now reads "read the hoax"
I wish my friend Tammmys death was a hoax, O well.

Re: Lita's "Death"
Jul 28, 2003, 11:04
Re: Lita's "Death" Jul 28, 2003, 11:04
Jul 28, 2003, 11:04

Lita was allegedly shot in a Toronto neighbourhood I have lived in. I'm a Toronto resident, and this morning I called the cemetary where Lita is allegedly buried. I gave her name as listed in the first post in her "death" thread, and there is nobody by that name buried in the Mount Pleasant Cemetary.

I've searched for any news stories on the alleged incident and haven't found anything. I don't recall such a shooting incident being on the Toronto TV, radio, or print news in April of this year.

Given the lack of evidence in support of the story, and the presence of evidence refuting the story, I'm inclined to think the whole affair is a cruel joke.

Re: Lita/Bosatsu Runegame topic
Jul 28, 2003, 07:23
Re: Lita/Bosatsu Runegame topic Jul 28, 2003, 07:23
Jul 28, 2003, 07:23

Will Gamasutra do a postmortem?
Jul 28, 2003, 07:22
Will Gamasutra do a postmortem? Jul 28, 2003, 07:22
Jul 28, 2003, 07:22

sorry, I'm confused. That's only a term reserved for the "post-release analysis" of a non-vaporware game.

"I like to play female characters in MMORPGs to trick men into homosexual chat." - space captain, June 18th, 2009.

Jul 28, 2003, 07:15
nin

Re: Lita/Bosatsu Runegame topic Jul 28, 2003, 07:15
Jul 28, 2003, 07:15
 nin

I see people are starting to question the validity in the Rune thread, also.

Laurie, just remember - you have a complete stranger who's telling you all kinds of sad stuff and wanting your attention (even offering to chat with people at one point). It could be true, or you could be getting played. I don't mean to seem harsh or unkind, but I'm skeptical. You hadn't heard of this person until a few days ago, and now they're the center of attention - doesn't that seem a little odd?

Are you sure Bosatsu's account on your board wasn't hijacked? Has anyone there compared IPs to earlier posts from her (granted they won't be the same, but they should be in the same range)?

I have to agree with (I believe it was) c r i s p y's post. It's sad that the internet has allowed people to fake this soft of thing just to get noticed. And it's even worse when, the next time someone "dies", people have to research it online just to prove a person's not lying. The problem here is, both people HERE AND on the Rune thread HAVE researched it, and so far, no info to prove this person is correct has been found. Doesn't THAT seem a little odd?

We're a close community here at Blue's, also...but we're also a skeptical, jaded bunch. That's what happens when you get burnt one too many times. And I smell a fire on the Rune board...

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

http://www.originaltrilogy.com/

Jul 28, 2003, 06:57
Re: Lita/Bosatsu Runegame topic Jul 28, 2003, 06:57
Jul 28, 2003, 06:57

Uhm, ok, thats sad and all but my point is, I dont care to know about it, just as much as I would want people to know I died if I stopped posting here all of the sudden.

Keep it on the Rune forums, these is a news site for games, not the gaming communities obituaries.

Do you care when families who you dont know loose someone?

I didnt think so.

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 06:58.

Lita/Bosatsu Runegame topic
Jul 28, 2003, 04:46
Lita/Bosatsu Runegame topic Jul 28, 2003, 04:46
Jul 28, 2003, 04:46

As a long time member of the Runegame.com community, I must say this. Bosatsu was not given to these kinds of practical jokes. She was a very real, very huge supporter of the Human Head Studios game, RUNE, since before it came out. Bosatsu was also one of the community's best "skinners". She gladly helped so many others with their "skins" and sigs when asked. Her rolicking humor was greatly appreciated in the forums and was known to be a "tough" cookie with a good heart. Bosatsu was a hard fighter in the MP servers and great to "chat" with (even while lopping your head off) She did have her share of problems and had some close calls with cars accidents. But "acting out", as some of you are thinking, was not her "style".

Cookies get cleared when you log off but if you stay "logged in", no password is needed to be typed in again. It is "saved". This not a case of "spoofing" an account either. The person may have inherited Bo's computer as she said. Not that unusual, as pointed out. In this case, the poster used Bosatsu's Runegame account to post the info at first. The poster says she is a close of friend of Bo's. This person has since registered under her own name and posting with it.

Since when has given free reign to emotions while posting, a "no no"? Flames are common enough in forums, but any heartfelt outpourings? "Fake", you cry. I am older than most of you probably....I have seen enough "passing" away of friends and family to have my share of grieving. To have heard lame comments and even given a few unintentionably. There are no classes in this sort of thing. How else is a friend supposed to feel while conveying bad news like this on a phone or writing? Ok, guys are supposed to be of "sterner" stuff and no tears.
Bull.

There are gaming communities, like Runegame's, that are small enough and close knit enough, where members know each other over the years. More like a big family, than a huge faceless crowd. When someone does die, then we do feel the loss. Death comes when it does...a fact of life. Senseless or not. A good name left behind and to be remembered by family and friends. To know you lived a good a life as possible, even if in small ways. To leave a woven life tapestry behind, full of bright colors and few drab threads. Sorry, I dont believe in the Greek version of the Fates spinning single web. In Greek mythology, only the great Kings and heroes got Golden threads...the rest might get Silver ones and the vast majority of people, course grey ones. The Old Norse/Vikings has a broader concept. The Norns wove your life's tapestry as you lived it. By the choices you make and their effects. The cynics, in this bunch, should think about their own reality.

We are all hoping this is NOT a hoax, as horrible a thought that sounds. I would rather hope that Bosatsu would come popping back after some months long absence, as she would. Find the Runegame topic and make some kind "Mark Twainlike" remark about "rumors of their own death".

Laurie "the DeepMinded"
Viking Myth//forums moderator
Runegame.com

This comment was edited on Jul 28, 05:22.

No subject
Jul 28, 2003, 04:12
No subject Jul 28, 2003, 04:12
Jul 28, 2003, 04:12

seems as fake as hell to me..

i also hate when people try to be holy by saying stuff they heard in movies like

"MAY HER BODY REST IN PEICE"

it's so stupid..

Um yea...
Jul 28, 2003, 02:06
Um yea... Jul 28, 2003, 02:06
Jul 28, 2003, 02:06

I didn't think this was fake after I read the post. However after reading your comments and such, I'm thinking differently.

Wouldn't the cookies expire and the passwords be lost to the forum and shit? What would compell a "friend" to post on her gamer forum that she died? You think she would be trying to get over the lost of her not "advertise" her death to every online friend she had.

If I kicked the bucket tomorrow, and somehow my friends got my computer. They would not go post on devianART, where I usually hangout, that I died and you should all send me email.

For one, thye wouldn't spend the time to get the password, then tell all ym online friends that I'm dead.

I wasn't moved when I read this story. For one, this shit happens everyday, and this is important to bluesnews because she played a video game!? Wow....that's a pretty general thign to have in common. Maybe if this person was a professional gamer, or when around killing people with an axe because she played Rune so much...That would make it news worthy..

Re: Ok, what is this...
Jul 28, 2003, 01:41
indiv

Re: Ok, what is this... Jul 28, 2003, 01:41
Jul 28, 2003, 01:41
 indiv

And sure, they could ask an ISP to change an account, but they're (the poster) saying the ISP willingly changed over all the billing information and account info to a different person?

For the record, I used to work at an ISP years ago and we'd do stuff like this all the time. In the field of computers, working at an ISP is analogous to working at McDonalds, from my experience. The most entertaining situation related to changing billing info over was a feuding husband and wife who kept calling back and taking control over the account--we didn't particularly care either way. If a simple PPP modem account was worth hacking, it'd be easy to do a little "social engineering" with the ISP to obtain the passwords.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

No subject
Jul 27, 2003, 23:46
No subject Jul 27, 2003, 23:46
Jul 27, 2003, 23:46

Very compelling information, I can only hope you guys are right she just needed attention.

Thou I am playing it safe tonight, I have already had a German guy say I was insualting he was a Naz.., that was a stinger
I would never do that, he was caught off guard, got mad and spuuuueddd that on to the thread, quite shocking, fortunatly there were several other Germans on the thread who said he was full of it and way out of line.

Question
Jul 27, 2003, 23:39
Enahs

Question Jul 27, 2003, 23:39
Jul 27, 2003, 23:39
 Enahs

Ok, Silly question. Who is this girl suppose to be "in the community". I mean, was she just a game player? Or one of those top notch gamers, was she involved in making a game? Was she just same average gamer? Should I know her? Does anyone that claims to be a family/friend of a gamer say they die, blah blah blah and get mentioned on gaming sites?

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Jul 27, 2003, 23:11
Re: Ok, what is this... Jul 27, 2003, 23:11
Jul 27, 2003, 23:11

I don't mind hearing about what happens to people in the gaming community, but for some reason that I can't quite explain, this one feels like a hoax. Her friend "inherits" her computer, and just happens to know all her passwords to everything, including obscure forums she may have frequented. And the narrative was almost silly, with all the "omg I have to break now so I can cry... ok I'm back".

Yep, that was the clincher for me to. It's BS. Which leads me to question what kind of sick person solicits sympathy mail from total strangers?

I hate humans.
---
Chris.

Jul 27, 2003, 22:58
Re: Ok, what is this... Jul 27, 2003, 22:58
Jul 27, 2003, 22:58

I fell bad for not believe this story. But reading these other posts I realize this whole thing smells of a hoax

Jul 27, 2003, 22:50
D
Re: Ok, what is this... Jul 27, 2003, 22:50
Jul 27, 2003, 22:50
D

Lookup:

The Star (no mention)
The Toronto Sun (no mention)
Globe and Mail (no mention)
National Post (no mention)

The wife grew up in Parkdale, Toronto

"Honey could you phone ya family nada nada nada"

FAKE

Jul 27, 2003, 21:49
Re: Ok, what is this... Jul 27, 2003, 21:49
Jul 27, 2003, 21:49

I live in Toronto (Mississauga, but close enough). I'm pretty sure a case like this, an innocent good looking girl getting shot during what appears to be gang violence then dying after a coma, would of recieved more publicity.

Not totally dismissing the possibilty but I've heard nothing even remotely like that (and TO papers tend to talk about something big like murder for weeks).

I love the power glove. It's so bad.