Condition Zero Website

The official Counter Strike: Condition Zero has opened (thanks Gamer's Hell), dedicated to Ritual's upcoming Counter-Strike game. The site offers descriptions of the missions in the game's five global hotspots of the USA, Argentina, Russia, Iraq, and Japan, models, screenshots, a history of the Counter-Strike mod, wallpapers, a previously released trailer, and more.
View : : :
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: The scoop from an (ex)CSer
Jul 27, 2003, 01:51
Re: The scoop from an (ex)CSer Jul 27, 2003, 01:51
Jul 27, 2003, 01:51

For the record: "super-anal-realistic simulation" was a thinly-veiled stab at the Clancy franchise; I hated those games.

IMO, the thing that keeps such games from truly being Fun (And not simply "Rewarding" or "Engaging") is that currently the PC can only fullfill a fraction of the total sensory perception available to most human beings. In reality we can notice subtle noises, patterns in movement, and even smells that indicate the presence of another human being for example in the vicinity or somewhere distant. What more a highly skilled and superbly trained counter-terrorist?

While I have no doubt that the creators of the R6 series took this into account, still there are plenty of frustrating situations in their games caused purely by the lack of perception. CS successfully struck a balance in this regard by making the gameplay more forgiving while keeping the look and feel of a realistic shooter.
"Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak

Re: "What is it about CS"
Jul 27, 2003, 00:56
Re: "What is it about CS" Jul 27, 2003, 00:56
Jul 27, 2003, 00:56

I guess that’s it, CS just feels right.

Y'know, this comment reminded me of a theory I once had. Basically the theory has it that the original Q1 engine somehow managed to get the 'feel' just right. I base this on the notion that two of my all-time favorite games (Q1 and CS) were both based on that engine, and both games just 'felt right'. I have no idea what makes it so.

It could also be that because Q1 was my first real online multiplayer gaming experience, that my brain thinks every other game should feel the same.
---
Chris.

Re: Day of Defeat
Jul 26, 2003, 23:18
Re: Day of Defeat Jul 26, 2003, 23:18
Jul 26, 2003, 23:18

I dunno, there can be some teamplay in DOD, but I don't feel it at all. In fact, I rarely go prone or camp in that game at all. I basically play it like a CS rush & run as fast as possible to the enemy & gun everybody down. Sounds stupid right? Well no one expects it & I pretty much own any server I go into with that strat. So I don't think of it as a team game. But hey, if you're having fun, that's the thing right?

Re: bunny hopping
Jul 26, 2003, 23:14
Re: bunny hopping Jul 26, 2003, 23:14
Jul 26, 2003, 23:14

They took care of that. That was so stupid. What made it worse was that children will use any exploit. They have no honor.

No subject
Jul 26, 2003, 22:05
No subject Jul 26, 2003, 22:05
Jul 26, 2003, 22:05

Personally, I don't like CS very much. Bunny hopping, unrealism and cheaters. I like DoD much more. It requires more teamplay and has better gameplay mechanics. It has a great weapon system with realistic accuracy and recoil. Man, that game never gets old.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 22:08.
Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1

Re:
Jul 26, 2003, 21:08
Re: Jul 26, 2003, 21:08
Jul 26, 2003, 21:08

"People running around at 70mph is just stupid"

And bunny hopping terrorists and CT's aren't? Hehe.

I love the bullet penetration in CS, its amazing no game has done it worth a fuck compared to CS, I hate round based play, and a big part of the CS community, enough that I can't have any fun playing the game.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 21:08.

"What is it about CS"
Jul 26, 2003, 19:35
"What is it about CS" Jul 26, 2003, 19:35
Jul 26, 2003, 19:35

When doom2 was hot, I was there, playing the game. It had a fast action feel. But maybe too fast. UT23K is way too fast. People running around at 70mph is just stupid. They might as well have put people in jets, at least then it would have seemed more immersive. Quake3 looks great, but any mod created off of it makes the player feel like he’s stomping around through a foot-and-a-half of water in an atmosphere of jello. It just feels like shit. Counter-Strike has a perfect feel. You run fast, but not even Olympic speed, but you don’t crawl through Quake3 mud either. I guess that’s it, CS just feels right. You can give me all the eye-candy in the world, if the game doesn’t feel as good as CS then its just a pretty clump of cotton candy with a chunk of dog shit in the middle.

Now onto the subject of CS:CZ & why they even made it & who its for.
CS:CZ single-player: Hey, it might be fun. The maps look interesting. Womb-Raider. Japanese school girls. Blow-torch. Hmm… this could get interesting.
CS:CZ multi-player: Valve is releasing 1.7 to coincide with CS:CZ. Players of CS:CZ don’t have to upgrade, but that’s not a big deal. But if you like the game & buy it, the gimmick is that you get to have the high-detailed player models. The school girl will look more realistic, but the map & effects will look the same. So, for someone like me that enjoys CS & has no problem with a few extra bucks spent in that direction, I’ll have better player models to brag about to teenagers that can’t get mommy to buck up for a new game. If Brian the Bitch had a summer job he could buy CS:CZ, play it through, & sell it on ebay, probably paying just $5 for it after all is said & done. Too bad Brian & all his other teenage bitch ass punks don’t think with their brain & spend a couple hours mowing a lawn or something, anything…

Re: CS
Jul 26, 2003, 17:08
Re: CS Jul 26, 2003, 17:08
Jul 26, 2003, 17:08

"What is it about CS that makes it such a loved mod?"

more than anything i like the locational damage system and weapon recoil, together with some good compitition it makes for some rather intense matchs.

CS
Jul 26, 2003, 16:05
CS Jul 26, 2003, 16:05
Jul 26, 2003, 16:05

CS is definitely a game where finding a good server matters a lot. There are a lot of immature and annoying players out there. You just have to find a server with mature admins that don't allow that crap. I've found several servers like that over the couple years I've played CS. It makes the game MUCH more enjoyable. Of course it was the same way with other games like UT or Q2/3 as well. The admins make all the difference.

Supporter of the "a happy fredster is a wet fredster with jumper cables attached to his nads" fanclub.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Jul 26, 2003, 14:24
Re: The scoop from an (ex)CSer Jul 26, 2003, 14:24
Jul 26, 2003, 14:24

That would probably be why he said "more realism than most games of the same era" instead of "more realism than any other game of the same era". You see the difference? That and how he goes on to say that it struck the right balance and didn't try to be too realistic. Maybe read the post next time and then respond.

DUDE!!!

Thanks for saving me time by stating exactly what I would have to that guy.

For the record: "super-anal-realistic simulation" was a thinly-veiled stab at the Clancy franchise; I hated those games.
---
Chris.

Re: No subject
Jul 26, 2003, 11:53
Re: No subject Jul 26, 2003, 11:53
Jul 26, 2003, 11:53

Heh, I remember the second time, yes the second time I ever played the game I went on a hot streak (okay, lucky streak) and before I knew it I had half a dozen players calling me a cheater and crying for me to be banned??? It wasn't a very welcoming group of folks. I've never even downloaded a cheat for a game to see how they work. I wouldn't know an aimbot from a wall hack. It was this sort of crap that contiuously popped up that did the game in for me.

Re: No subject
Jul 26, 2003, 11:14
Re: No subject Jul 26, 2003, 11:14
Jul 26, 2003, 11:14

Pretty much how I felt about CS as well. I played it for about a year none stop. One thing you could guarantee if you went on a public server was there being at least one cock on there who was either cheating blatantly or acting like a knob doing his own thing which ruined everybody elses game.

I stopped playing because of people annoying me on it, and also that the gameplay got very dated after a year of playing it when newer team games like RTCW came out.

No subject
Jul 26, 2003, 10:32
No subject Jul 26, 2003, 10:32
Jul 26, 2003, 10:32

I think one of the things that made CS so popular, aside from it's gameplay, was that virtually anybody with a computer could run the thing because it had such low system specs (P133 and up... yeah right). This point hasn't evaded Valve as one of their main goals in HL 2 is scalability (P600 and up... yeah right).

I think the biggest negative, turn off about CS was it's own popularity (community). Finding a server that wasn't populated by a bunch of cheating jerks or a server that wasn't populated by a bunch of jerks accusing others of cheating was a task at times. This reason alone is probably why I could never get into the game. Although I installed it several times and played sporadically I could never play it long enough to become familiar with a group of mature, well administrated servers.

Single Player
Jul 26, 2003, 08:31
Single Player Jul 26, 2003, 08:31
Jul 26, 2003, 08:31

Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't the free Counter Strike a multiplayer only game and the retail Condition Zero a single player game?
If so, then it sounds like two different types of game playing.
And two different types of game often equal two different purchases.

snafu

Opinions are like A**holes, everybody has one and they usually stink
(all except mine of course)
Eye 4N Eye

Opinions are like A**holes, everybody has one and they usually stink
(all except mine of course)

Re:
Jul 26, 2003, 08:23
Re: Jul 26, 2003, 08:23
Jul 26, 2003, 08:23

I'm not a CS player but I can see it's appeal, or at least it's possible appeal to someone like me.

I can play Quake 3 and UT easily enough as it's all very simple to understand and easy for me to get into it. From what I've heard, there is a bit more to CS and having to buy(?) weapons and so forth. These days, the time I have to play, I want to spend playing and not being abused for doing something wrong or screwing up another teams enjoyment.

If this replicates the multiplayer experience and it's a good experience and I can learn the ins and outs, then maybe I'll start playing CS online, too.

As for the tech....yeah, I'm an eye candy fan and all that, but I can't devote the funds to keeping on the cutting edge anymore, plus a lot of new games have failed to attract me in any way, so I'm more interested in getting a blast from what runs well. NOLF 2 pushed this system too hard for the settings I used, so I'm not holding any hope for HL2 running any better.

I think CZ might do quite well. It certainly doesn't look bad to my eyes.

As for Enemy Territory, which I've just d/l'd. Before they dropped the single player aspect, they were going to charge for it. There's been more than 1 HL mod you can get free or buy and I think that's a great idea to give, what I assume, are not commercially experienced teams something back for their efforts.

Well, my rambling 0.2 worth:)

Jul 26, 2003, 07:57
... Jul 26, 2003, 07:57
Jul 26, 2003, 07:57

I feel very sorry for Ritual...

I hope they get at least paid well for it (it is just a commission from valve, isn't it?)...

...but damn, this looks dated... (couldn't resist )

--------------------------------------------------
just because of Ray...

http://users.ign.com/collection/species8472
--------------------------------------------------
"...you don't see me - 'cause I don't have much to say..."
http://www.gathering.nl

Jul 26, 2003, 06:54
Re: The scoop from an (ex)CSer Jul 26, 2003, 06:54
Jul 26, 2003, 06:54

Um realism? Guess you never heard of a game called Rainbow Six that was out at the time.
That would probably be why he said "more realism than most games of the same era" instead of "more realism than any other game of the same era". You see the difference? That and how he goes on to say that it struck the right balance and didn't try to be too realistic. Maybe read the post next time and then respond.

Supporter of the "a happy fredster is a wet fredster with jumper cables attached to his nads" fanclub.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Jul 26, 2003, 05:37
Re: The scoop from an (ex)CSer Jul 26, 2003, 05:37
Jul 26, 2003, 05:37

Um realism? Guess you never heard of a game called Rainbow Six that was out at the time. Nothing real about a guy jumping around with semi/automatic weapons.

And about Condition Zero, I'd rather stick to Raven Shield or the original CS (not that I play it anymore), then waste money (yes I said waste, cause to me it would be a waste of money to purchase something I already have) on this game.

oh god
Jul 26, 2003, 05:01
oh god Jul 26, 2003, 05:01
Jul 26, 2003, 05:01

lol, Japanese schoolgirl hostages in the screenshots.

yeah, just think what some bastards are gonna do with that.

I MIGHT buy it, depends on how close it is to HL2. Or i might just borrow it from a friend. either way, i'll try it. Probably just wate for HL2 and TF2 (i have a feeling TF2 is HL2's MP)

No subject
Jul 26, 2003, 04:50
No subject Jul 26, 2003, 04:50
Jul 26, 2003, 04:50

I think its a crime that they try to sell this shit when they give enemy territory away for free...

I also think they are making this mainly to port cs to consoles.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older