AC2 Shrinks

A story on GameSpot describes plans to further consolidate Asheron's Call 2, which will ultimately reside on four servers, with the possibility that another server will be decommissioned along the way. Word is: "Players don't have to worry about losing characters, as all characters will be moved over, even if that results in some players having a number of additional characters on a single server during a 60-day transitional period"
View : : :
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  ] Newer

Content, Content, Content.....
Jul 23, 2003, 10:03
Content, Content, Content..... Jul 23, 2003, 10:03
Jul 23, 2003, 10:03

Does it take a rocket scientist to figure out that MMORPG's with all these bells and whistles are nowhere without story-driven, immersive content. It doesn't even have to be part of some main complicated theme as far as I'm concerned. Just add a small, basic story with a theme driven area to hunt, viola! The worst is that SWG didn't even learn from AC2's mistake. <smacks head>

Anyone playing AC2?
Jul 23, 2003, 10:13
Anyone playing AC2? Jul 23, 2003, 10:13
Jul 23, 2003, 10:13

I was very psyched for AC2 when it came out, but after beta testing it right up until release, I decided I wouldn't be purchasing it. The lack of NPC stores made it difficult to get the equipment I needed/wanted, and there was very little content. Not to mention the bugs. But boy was it beautiful. (sounds a lot like SWG)

Anyone playing currently who can say if this has improved? Are there shops for players yet? Are there more dungeons/mobs? I guess if they're removing servers then it can't be doing so well.

Re: Anyone playing AC2?
Jul 23, 2003, 10:35
Re: Anyone playing AC2? Jul 23, 2003, 10:35
Jul 23, 2003, 10:35

this is great news!!! (for the future of mmorpgs) hopefully future mmorpg designers will take heed of AC2's folly...

- Dr.Del
- DrDel

Re: Content, Content, Content.....
Jul 23, 2003, 10:40
Re: Content, Content, Content..... Jul 23, 2003, 10:40
Jul 23, 2003, 10:40

#1,

yeah, i sort of agree with you on this, but i think the problem is people like us shouldn't be playing these kind of games. the whole point of a massively multiplayer game is to build some sort of community, right? so all the stories we'd like to see are supposed to be acted out by the players. i know it's a stretch, but that's what role playing is.

then there's people like me. i'm playing star wars galaxies and i'm thinking "gosh, it'd be cool if i didn't have to talk to people for all kinds of different things." talk about missing the point! it's weird, though... i never want to go up to someone and ask them for help, or items, or whatever... i feel like i'm interupting them and they'll get mad at me. god, i'm shy even in the virtual world

Jul 23, 2003, 10:41
Re: Anyone playing AC2? Jul 23, 2003, 10:41
Jul 23, 2003, 10:41

I gave up on AC2 a month or so ago... it hadn't improved, they kept re-balancing all the classes, and have now forced people to group to do absolutely anything at all because of mob armour changes. The content was building but not nearly fast enough.

I went to Anarchy Online instead and I'm having a blast! So much more to do...

Jul 23, 2003, 10:43
Re: Anyone playing AC2? Jul 23, 2003, 10:43
Jul 23, 2003, 10:43

We warned turbine that this would happen. There were still enough subscribers way back in the beginning of the game, but unfortunatly they chose not to listen to their players and outright lie to them. We finally told them how with felt with our wallets. Maybe next time they will actually listen to their players instead of following their so called vision for the game. You have to make it enjoyable for the players not the developers. Continual nerfs instead of making the game better is not the way to go.

The whole premise for the game was their downfall. Yes it's cool to have a wartorn world be built from the ground up before your very eyes, but untill years later the "early years" of the growing world is downright boring and there is nothing to do and does not make for a great MMORPG.

Jul 23, 2003, 11:04
Re: Content, Content, Content..... Jul 23, 2003, 11:04
Jul 23, 2003, 11:04

#4, Yes the ability or desire of the players to create a community greatly helps make an MMORPG a more enjoyable experience, but with a game like AC2, which is all frosting and no cake, you may as well do your role playing in IRC. You'd actually have more ability to communicate with others, since the chat servers are always down in AC2.

I typically play MMORPGs like you do Wax. I tend to avoid people and try to make my own adventure, which usually doesn't work so well. It's hard to play online games like single player games, especially AC2, with its lack of NPCs.

I think it's funny that no 3D MMORPG right now gives you the ability to perform simple person-to-person interactions with others, and that's something I'd like to see in the future. Things like a hug, pat on the shoulder, or a smack across the face. Sure, you can emote, but imagine if your characters actually physically interacted. Haha, that would make walking in on a couple at the inn all the more embarassing.
This comment was edited on Jul 23, 11:09.

Jul 23, 2003, 12:07
Re: Content, Content, Content..... Jul 23, 2003, 12:07
Jul 23, 2003, 12:07

Hopefully we will be reading about this happeneing to SWG soon. AC2 was bad but SWG is so much worse. Pretty graphics and tons of dollars for marketing hype should not be a substitute for gameplay content.

I hope these companies get the message that MMORPG players want a lot more than a pretty chat room.

Jul 23, 2003, 12:10
Re: Anyone playing AC2? Jul 23, 2003, 12:10
Jul 23, 2003, 12:10

Anarchy Online has only had 2 real servers since launch.

It made it a lot easier to deal with the lag issues when I realized that the guild im in has as many players as many of the other MMOG's servers.

They are obviously realizing that they won't get a huge playerbase anytime soon, and probably trying to figure out the best way to keep the game up with the lowest cost possible to make sure the current players don't lose out.

Jul 23, 2003, 12:12
Re: Content, Content, Content..... Jul 23, 2003, 12:12
Jul 23, 2003, 12:12

I typically play MMORPGs like you do Wax. I tend to avoid people and try to make my own adventure, which usually doesn't work so well.

Amen to that, Darsint.

I played alot of MUD back in the mid 1990's (sweet grad school) , but I don't play any MMORPG at the moment and have only played them for rather brief periods of time before giving up on them.

I'm hoping that Blizzard's offering turns out better; I can't recall ever playing a BAD Blizzard game.
-Garrote

Pale Death with impartial tread beats at the poor man's cottage door and at the palaces of kings.

Jul 23, 2003, 12:20
Re: Content, Content, Content..... Jul 23, 2003, 12:20

SWG will now have story arcs
<A HREF="http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/archive.jsp?page=Monthly%20Story"> Read This</A>

Told you so
Told you so Jul 23, 2003, 12:20

I told them.. but they did'nt listen.

AC2 Should have been a XBOX-LIVE Title.. that was always what it looked like.

Jul 23, 2003, 12:30
Re: Anyone playing AC2? Jul 23, 2003, 12:30
Jul 23, 2003, 12:30

Anyone playing currently who can say if this has improved? Are there shops for players yet? Are there more dungeons/mobs? I guess if they're removing servers then it can't be doing so well.

I recently (2 weeks ago) finished up a 15 day trial of AC2. It was the first game of this type I had really tried.

I didn't see anything I would consider a 'shop'. I quickly became frustrated with the navigation system. If there is an easy way to set way points, etc. I never found it. The in game map system was horrible. Why you could not scroll the map was beyond me. The servers are sparsely populated by real people. Little or no interaction between players that I could see. The opening quests were weak. Is it pretty? Yes, but boring overall.

I've moved on. I'm currently in the AO SL beta. Lots of people on line. More equipment, more character classes, more of everything.

Sadly, this game has the some of the same learning curve issues. They cover the basics pretty well; I had no trouble taking my character up to level 12 in short order by staying in the newbie 'training area'. This is where the learning ends and the confusion begins. When you leave the training area you are dumped into the main 'research' area with no map. Turns out you need to purchase your maps. With no map it is easy to get turned around, lost, whatever. If I had the time to spend 6 hours walking in circles maybe I could sort it out. I'll keep playing this one until the frustration outweighs the fun.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org
My spoon is too big!
-TPFKAS2S

AC2's future.
Jul 23, 2003, 12:45
AC2's future. Jul 23, 2003, 12:45
Jul 23, 2003, 12:45

AC2 is supposed to have housing, banking, and player-run shops (well, vendors) by the end of the year -- of course, if they stay on track with that, it'll be amazing. I imagine February.

They're learning what their playbase wants. Turbine's gotten a lot of flak for doing the rebalancing pretty much at launch, but it's MUCH better to do it early than it is to wait until everyone's got high level characters that will be slaughtered by the redesigns.

The game has come a long way even since launch, but it has a long way left to go before it will live up to its predecessor (if it ever can, given the radical differences in style).

Content is still coming in monthly, but they're waiting on lore until after this new Hero system, and some of the other mechanics they want to get in.

Player and monster rebalancing was necessary, but it has hurt quite a bunch of classes in solo play, and they're not planning on giving solo some focus until .. February?

The server consolidation is a good thing, it's currently a group-oriented game, and with so many servers, with low populations, it was hard to enjoy the game. I'm imagining in a few months time, it'll suprise most who quit after beta, or the first month or two of retail.

Re: AC2's future.
Jul 23, 2003, 13:09
Re: AC2's future. Jul 23, 2003, 13:09
Jul 23, 2003, 13:09

I love how you trolls use this to get your SWG digs in, lol.

Jul 23, 2003, 13:37
Re: Content, Content, Content..... Jul 23, 2003, 13:37
Jul 23, 2003, 13:37

the whole point of a massively multiplayer game is to build some sort of community, right? so all the stories we'd like to see are supposed to be acted out by the players.

I've heard this time and time again, most often from developers from a MMORPG. "Yeah, we're not putting in any content, because we want the players to create it!!!"
It sounds good in theory, I mean, hey let's every player be a DM! But, if you think about it, it's a very stupid idea.

The thing is, in order for a player to be able to do something in a computer game, he HAS to have something to interact with. Most MMORPGs right now don't have a handful of things to interact with, so what kind of content are players going to create?

I don't know a lot about AC2, but take SWG for example. The only mission one player can give to another is fetch something. I need 200 bones, get them for me, and I'll pay you 200 credits.
That gets old pretty quick.
There is no possibility for any other kind of player driven mission because the interaction doesn't exist.
What if one player wants another dead? In the Star Wars universe, you could hire a bounty hunter (who aren't more than assassins anyways) to find him and take care of it for you.
However, in SWG, that bounty hunter has no way to track any player. So how is he ever going to find his target?
And for that matter, since the target will simply get cloned, what's the whole point?

MMORPGs will ALWAYS fail as long as they don't take take heed of this. WITHOUT content or anything to interact with, there will NEVER be a story, and your game is nothing more than a chatroom with pretty graphics.
From the looks of it, Asheron's Call 2 is definitely in this area, and, quite frankly, I fail to see how SWG is any different.

15 dollars a month for some chatting? IRC is free, people..

Creston

Jul 23, 2003, 14:28
Re: Anyone playing AC2? Jul 23, 2003, 14:28
Jul 23, 2003, 14:28

I gave up on AC2 a month or so ago... it hadn't improved, they kept re-balancing all the classes, and have now forced people to group to do absolutely anything at all because of mob armour changes. The content was building but not nearly fast enough.

I went to Anarchy Online instead and I'm having a blast! So much more to do...

That's the SAME EXACT story with me. I'm loving Anarchy Online (for the 2nd time)

No subject
Jul 23, 2003, 14:51
No subject Jul 23, 2003, 14:51
Jul 23, 2003, 14:51

All MMORPG's are snooze fests once the inital penis inflating joy of getting loot and levels wears off... I even wanted to like AO but just couldn't force myself to do it. I'm interested in Horizons but I know its going to end up just like the others, however, i really hope it dosent.

See, I want to like a good mmo game, I love rpg's and one that actually allowed some ablity to impact the world would be awsome. Anyone remember that game Atirarch or something, where you could make your design your own houses and towns, and also reshape the land as well? Thought not, too bad too, would have been interesting, if Horizons dosen't fill my cup of tea, there will always be something else later...

"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

Re: No subject
Jul 23, 2003, 15:41
cia
Re: No subject Jul 23, 2003, 15:41
Jul 23, 2003, 15:41
cia

Will they be cutting the fees in half too?

Re: No subject
Jul 23, 2003, 16:22
Re: No subject Jul 23, 2003, 16:22
Jul 23, 2003, 16:22

the last MMO that had a real beta was EQ.
a beta that actually tweaked and changed the game based upon players that worked to make the game enjoyable.
all other "betas" since then have been marketing hype.

the dev's blame this progression on the gamers, that since eq beta days, more players have joined the genre, and thus you have more crap feedback than good feedback and they don't have the time to sift through it. so they hand the "beta" to the promo department and turn it into hype on message forums and contests for 3rd party vendors.

the was a lot of criticism for ac2 during it's beta stages, and news like this proves (to me, i was in there with the critics) that most all of the criticism was ignored which lead to the current downfall.

gaming community's fault, or devs? i say it's still the dev's fault. we're consumers, it's in the very definition of "consumer" to be "unreasonable ignorant jackasses". if you get "nice" consumers, consider yourself lucky. so the dev's faulting that "most of the feedback is crap" are simply admitting "we don't want to sell many copies of this game".

least that's how i see it.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  ] Newer