AC2 Shrinks

A story on GameSpot describes plans to further consolidate Asheron's Call 2, which will ultimately reside on four servers, with the possibility that another server will be decommissioned along the way. Word is: "Players don't have to worry about losing characters, as all characters will be moved over, even if that results in some players having a number of additional characters on a single server during a 60-day transitional period"
View : : :
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: The end is near
Jul 24, 2003, 00:19
Re: The end is near Jul 24, 2003, 00:19
Jul 24, 2003, 00:19

And these are the same developers producing D&D online and Middle Earth Online. Doesn't bode well for those games futures

True-er (Truer? Trueer?) words were never spoken...

Creston

Re: No subject
Jul 23, 2003, 20:30
Re: No subject Jul 23, 2003, 20:30
Jul 23, 2003, 20:30

id like to point to shadowbane as the best game currently that deals with player controlled aspects in a MMORPG. the game has tons of player built cities and a PvP playstyle that creates real interaction between guilds and it's players. the problem though is that it looks like shit, and its servers are a mess. also, the PvP system while fun, does not have the ability to grow after the players hit their level caps for the simple reason that new players to the game can not walk around the world as they try to get to higher levels. they just get griefed by guys who have been in the game for awhile. terrible design flaw in the a completely PvP world. i really can't see a way that massively multiplayer games can work in the long run. Personally I'd rather see more games going the NWN route, but upping the amount of people allowed on the servers. I really don't see the draw of having thousands of people on the server when i only will ever ineract with 20 of them.

dave snider
co-founder | guzzlefish.com
my dvd, cd, and game collections
http://www.guzzlefish.com/?user=dave
dave snider
comicvine.com

Jul 23, 2003, 19:01
Re: No subject Jul 23, 2003, 19:01
Jul 23, 2003, 19:01

the last MMO that had a real beta was EQ.
a beta that actually tweaked and changed the game based upon players that worked to make the game enjoyable.
all other "betas" since then have been marketing hype.

That's not entirely true... open betas, yes, they're completely marketing hype (let's just call them demos)... but usually the smaller, closed betas there is at least some effort to develop the game based on player requests

Re: AC2's future.
Jul 23, 2003, 18:16
Re: AC2's future. Jul 23, 2003, 18:16
Jul 23, 2003, 18:16

"I love how you trolls use this to get your SWG digs in, lol"

It's a natural comparison. SWG sucks, AC2 sucks.. someone's gonna pick up on it sooner or later.

Hmm...
Jul 23, 2003, 17:58
Hmm... Jul 23, 2003, 17:58
Jul 23, 2003, 17:58

I am trying out the fileplanet trial for AC2.

Its a really fun world to explore...but all the world and theres nothing really fun t do but explore. Ive been going through it taking pictures. Its pretty neat but damn I wish there were more to do in these games than just level up.

Theres and island in a pond I found. Id like to be able to get some people and set up a camp or small town or something there. Just some kind of outpost. That would be neat, heh. We could, instead of having kingdom fights, have fights for actual land outside major cities.

:-\

Developing MMORPG's, bad idea
Jul 23, 2003, 17:29
Developing MMORPG's, bad idea Jul 23, 2003, 17:29
Jul 23, 2003, 17:29

Developers (and more importantly publishers) who are unwilling to truly commit to making a solid game, only hurt themselves in the long term, and hurt the industry on the whole.

I remember a speaker at the GDC (Gaming Development Conference) who spoke about how developing MMOG's is a task that developers should avoid, because the amount of effort necessary to keep the paying customers to keep shelling out money leads them into an endless battle of trying to add material while fixing the rest and rebalancing. Also, it is absolutely impossible to keep everyone happy.

I believe MMORPG's have a future, but the amount of commitment and the willingness to take risks versus "release and take all the cash we can get" policy is ultimately misguided.

Re: Anyone playing AC2?
Jul 23, 2003, 17:12
Re: Anyone playing AC2? Jul 23, 2003, 17:12
Jul 23, 2003, 17:12

Bronco, send me an email, I can help you with things if you want.

No subject
Jul 23, 2003, 16:53
No subject Jul 23, 2003, 16:53
Jul 23, 2003, 16:53

I run a NWN server and while its hardly a MMORPG ( no monthly fees ) I manage to put some sort of plot in there for my players. Atleast once a week I add a little bit to the ever incresing story about normal man vs demonic forces.
I add a bit, watch how my players react to it and that reaction leads onto the next part of the story.

Until a MMORPG allows the average user to create there own content for the game I dont ever see them catching up and I am not talking about houses or other useless buildings, but full scripting of new NPC's and Quests.

The end is near
Jul 23, 2003, 16:50
The end is near Jul 23, 2003, 16:50
Jul 23, 2003, 16:50

...and so it begins. The final death-throws of the game and the desperate actions of Microsoft to salvage some semblence of life out of it. Motorcity beat AC2 to the punch as being the first MMOG to go down, but Asheron's Call 2 probably isn't far behind.

And these are the same developers producing D&D online and Middle Earth Online. Doesn't bode well for those games futures.

Jul 23, 2003, 16:22
Re: No subject Jul 23, 2003, 16:22
Jul 23, 2003, 16:22

the last MMO that had a real beta was EQ.
a beta that actually tweaked and changed the game based upon players that worked to make the game enjoyable.
all other "betas" since then have been marketing hype.

the dev's blame this progression on the gamers, that since eq beta days, more players have joined the genre, and thus you have more crap feedback than good feedback and they don't have the time to sift through it. so they hand the "beta" to the promo department and turn it into hype on message forums and contests for 3rd party vendors.

the was a lot of criticism for ac2 during it's beta stages, and news like this proves (to me, i was in there with the critics) that most all of the criticism was ignored which lead to the current downfall.

gaming community's fault, or devs? i say it's still the dev's fault. we're consumers, it's in the very definition of "consumer" to be "unreasonable ignorant jackasses". if you get "nice" consumers, consider yourself lucky. so the dev's faulting that "most of the feedback is crap" are simply admitting "we don't want to sell many copies of this game".

least that's how i see it.

Jul 23, 2003, 15:41
cia
Re: No subject Jul 23, 2003, 15:41
Jul 23, 2003, 15:41
cia

Will they be cutting the fees in half too?

No subject
Jul 23, 2003, 14:51
No subject Jul 23, 2003, 14:51
Jul 23, 2003, 14:51

All MMORPG's are snooze fests once the inital penis inflating joy of getting loot and levels wears off... I even wanted to like AO but just couldn't force myself to do it. I'm interested in Horizons but I know its going to end up just like the others, however, i really hope it dosent.

See, I want to like a good mmo game, I love rpg's and one that actually allowed some ablity to impact the world would be awsome. Anyone remember that game Atirarch or something, where you could make your design your own houses and towns, and also reshape the land as well? Thought not, too bad too, would have been interesting, if Horizons dosen't fill my cup of tea, there will always be something else later...

"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

Jul 23, 2003, 14:28
Re: Anyone playing AC2? Jul 23, 2003, 14:28
Jul 23, 2003, 14:28

I gave up on AC2 a month or so ago... it hadn't improved, they kept re-balancing all the classes, and have now forced people to group to do absolutely anything at all because of mob armour changes. The content was building but not nearly fast enough.

I went to Anarchy Online instead and I'm having a blast! So much more to do...

That's the SAME EXACT story with me. I'm loving Anarchy Online (for the 2nd time)

Re: Content, Content, Content.....
Jul 23, 2003, 13:37
Re: Content, Content, Content..... Jul 23, 2003, 13:37
Jul 23, 2003, 13:37

the whole point of a massively multiplayer game is to build some sort of community, right? so all the stories we'd like to see are supposed to be acted out by the players.

I've heard this time and time again, most often from developers from a MMORPG. "Yeah, we're not putting in any content, because we want the players to create it!!!"
It sounds good in theory, I mean, hey let's every player be a DM! But, if you think about it, it's a very stupid idea.

The thing is, in order for a player to be able to do something in a computer game, he HAS to have something to interact with. Most MMORPGs right now don't have a handful of things to interact with, so what kind of content are players going to create?

I don't know a lot about AC2, but take SWG for example. The only mission one player can give to another is fetch something. I need 200 bones, get them for me, and I'll pay you 200 credits.
That gets old pretty quick.
There is no possibility for any other kind of player driven mission because the interaction doesn't exist.
What if one player wants another dead? In the Star Wars universe, you could hire a bounty hunter (who aren't more than assassins anyways) to find him and take care of it for you.
However, in SWG, that bounty hunter has no way to track any player. So how is he ever going to find his target?
And for that matter, since the target will simply get cloned, what's the whole point?

MMORPGs will ALWAYS fail as long as they don't take take heed of this. WITHOUT content or anything to interact with, there will NEVER be a story, and your game is nothing more than a chatroom with pretty graphics.
From the looks of it, Asheron's Call 2 is definitely in this area, and, quite frankly, I fail to see how SWG is any different.

15 dollars a month for some chatting? IRC is free, people..

Creston

Re: AC2's future.
Jul 23, 2003, 13:09
Re: AC2's future. Jul 23, 2003, 13:09
Jul 23, 2003, 13:09

I love how you trolls use this to get your SWG digs in, lol.

AC2's future.
Jul 23, 2003, 12:45
AC2's future. Jul 23, 2003, 12:45
Jul 23, 2003, 12:45

AC2 is supposed to have housing, banking, and player-run shops (well, vendors) by the end of the year -- of course, if they stay on track with that, it'll be amazing. I imagine February.

They're learning what their playbase wants. Turbine's gotten a lot of flak for doing the rebalancing pretty much at launch, but it's MUCH better to do it early than it is to wait until everyone's got high level characters that will be slaughtered by the redesigns.

The game has come a long way even since launch, but it has a long way left to go before it will live up to its predecessor (if it ever can, given the radical differences in style).

Content is still coming in monthly, but they're waiting on lore until after this new Hero system, and some of the other mechanics they want to get in.

Player and monster rebalancing was necessary, but it has hurt quite a bunch of classes in solo play, and they're not planning on giving solo some focus until .. February?

The server consolidation is a good thing, it's currently a group-oriented game, and with so many servers, with low populations, it was hard to enjoy the game. I'm imagining in a few months time, it'll suprise most who quit after beta, or the first month or two of retail.

Jul 23, 2003, 12:30
Re: Anyone playing AC2? Jul 23, 2003, 12:30
Jul 23, 2003, 12:30

Anyone playing currently who can say if this has improved? Are there shops for players yet? Are there more dungeons/mobs? I guess if they're removing servers then it can't be doing so well.

I recently (2 weeks ago) finished up a 15 day trial of AC2. It was the first game of this type I had really tried.

I didn't see anything I would consider a 'shop'. I quickly became frustrated with the navigation system. If there is an easy way to set way points, etc. I never found it. The in game map system was horrible. Why you could not scroll the map was beyond me. The servers are sparsely populated by real people. Little or no interaction between players that I could see. The opening quests were weak. Is it pretty? Yes, but boring overall.

I've moved on. I'm currently in the AO SL beta. Lots of people on line. More equipment, more character classes, more of everything.

Sadly, this game has the some of the same learning curve issues. They cover the basics pretty well; I had no trouble taking my character up to level 12 in short order by staying in the newbie 'training area'. This is where the learning ends and the confusion begins. When you leave the training area you are dumped into the main 'research' area with no map. Turns out you need to purchase your maps. With no map it is easy to get turned around, lost, whatever. If I had the time to spend 6 hours walking in circles maybe I could sort it out. I'll keep playing this one until the frustration outweighs the fun.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org
My spoon is too big!
-TPFKAS2S

Told you so
Jul 23, 2003, 12:20
Told you so Jul 23, 2003, 12:20

I told them.. but they did'nt listen.

AC2 Should have been a XBOX-LIVE Title.. that was always what it looked like.

Re: Content, Content, Content..... Jul 23, 2003, 12:20

SWG will now have story arcs
<A HREF="http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/archive.jsp?page=Monthly%20Story"> Read This</A>

Jul 23, 2003, 12:12
Re: Content, Content, Content..... Jul 23, 2003, 12:12
Jul 23, 2003, 12:12

I typically play MMORPGs like you do Wax. I tend to avoid people and try to make my own adventure, which usually doesn't work so well.

Amen to that, Darsint.

I played alot of MUD back in the mid 1990's (sweet grad school) , but I don't play any MMORPG at the moment and have only played them for rather brief periods of time before giving up on them.

I'm hoping that Blizzard's offering turns out better; I can't recall ever playing a BAD Blizzard game.
-Garrote

Pale Death with impartial tread beats at the poor man's cottage door and at the palaces of kings.
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older