On Machinima

Artery Machinima on Machinima.com offers downloads of a behind-the-scenes TV documentary on the art of making movies with game engines. John Carmack made a Slashdot post on the topic (thanks Jacek Fedoryñski), saying that seeing "noticeable popping on the environment maps" in Quake III engine machinima was his primary motivation for adding per-pixel environment map calculation to the DOOM 3 engine.
View : : :
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer

Documentary
Jul 19, 2003, 12:34
Documentary Jul 19, 2003, 12:34
Jul 19, 2003, 12:34

Yeah, as per John's posting - Fountainhead wasn't mentioned in the documentary, which they should have been. The "In the Waiting Line" is definitely a cool Machinima piece (the first for a signed band, I believe) and it would have been nice to see it in there too.

Maybe if the documentary gets picked up for air in the States, they can give more stateside Machinima teams coverage as well.

-Robs

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 12:51.

History by the writer
Jul 19, 2003, 13:29
M7
History by the writer Jul 19, 2003, 13:29
Jul 19, 2003, 13:29
M7

Nice documentary. The only thing that bugs me it, that the real "inventors" of this genere aren't mentiones with one single word.
"Diary of a Camper" by the Ranger clan started it all, even before Girlich released his Demo manipulation tools.

Also, not to step on anyones toes, but why the hell is the ILL-Clan mentioned in every friggin piece you read about machinima? Yes, hardly working was a nice flick, but it also was the only one by ILL afaik.

and, before i forget it, why didn't they mention the planned Animated series based on Masamune Shirows Appleseed, that will be produced using a modified game engine, or the incredible Anacronox?

Re: History by the writer
Jul 19, 2003, 17:50
Re: History by the writer Jul 19, 2003, 17:50
Jul 19, 2003, 17:50

"Diary of a Camper" by the Ranger clan started it all, even before Girlich released his Demo manipulation tools.

Yes, it's a common-known fact - and it's been stated in several articles about Machinima. Unfortunately, the filmmaker never really goes into it's history.

Also, not to step on anyones toes, but why the hell is the ILL-Clan mentioned in every friggin piece you read about machinima? Yes, hardly working was a nice flick, but it also was the only one by ILL afaik.

Well, the ILL Clan is commonly mentioned for a number of reasons, as the group has done quite a bit to bring visibility to the medium. And to date, is one of the only Machinima teams to have won awards in traditional film festivals with their work.

Also, Hardly Workin' is not the only film by the group. Apartment Huntin' (produced in Classic Quake) and Common Sense Cooking - a Machinima film performed and improvised live in front of the Florida Film Festival audience - are other Machinima films by The ILL Clan.

and, before i forget it, why didn't they mention the planned Animated series based on Masamune Shirows Appleseed, that will be produced using a modified game engine, or the incredible Anacronox?

Yeah, its unforunate that Anox doesn't get a mention either (particularly because it is a great film) - again, I think these films aren't mentioned because the documentary maintains a mostly Scottish POV.

Appleseed Machinima? Wow, now that's something I'd like to see.

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 17:53.

Jul 19, 2003, 17:52
Re: History by the writer Jul 19, 2003, 17:52
Jul 19, 2003, 17:52

I agree, it would have been nice if he mentioned the guys who started the whole thing, but his focus on this doc was Strange Company--they're based in Scotland and it was for Scottish TV. If it weren't for the web, we wouldn't even be seeing this thing

The reason the ILL Clan's mentioned is usually because journalists research previous articles written about a topic and contact those people. We got a lot of press when we our first film (we've done other films besides Hardly Workin' by the way) made it onto wired's animation express, and even more when we won the Showtime Alt Media award. Press begets more press etc etc.

We always make sure to mention the other machinima teams, as I did during my interview in this doc. If anyone gets a major gig, it adds validity to what we're all doing. Fountainhead should be getting alot more press given the work they did on the music video "In the waiting Line." It looks amazing and says everything about the quality of work they do. In the end though, the writers and editors do what they want, we just answer they're questions.

Jul 19, 2003, 18:19
M7
Re: History by the writer Jul 19, 2003, 18:19
Jul 19, 2003, 18:19
M7

Ok, thanx guys for clearing things up

On the Appleseed project... I read about it last year when i was researching stuff about GitS2:MMI and stumbled on some pages featuring short promo vids. I had some time too look thing up since my last post, but information is very hard to come by (most stuff is japanese etc) and i cant find any page still hosting the pre production shots fram back then.

It's actually a feature length movie (but some pages mention an 3 episode OVA) produced in a "Realtime rendering system that evolved out of a Game engine" titled...... Trintiy! (I don't have any clue if that name is coincidence or not.)

For the visual style, think high res models with cel-shaders. This (japanese) page as a screenshot.
http://www.famitsu.com/entertainment/news/2002/04/11/n05.html

Best info on a google chaced page so far.
http://www.google.de/search?q=cache:5TKOdgdbLfYJ:kukaku.free.fr/appleseed_cg_movie/index.shtml+appleseed+Cg+movie+trinity&hl=de&ie=UTF-8

Ive had alot of fun...
Jul 19, 2003, 20:53
Ive had alot of fun... Jul 19, 2003, 20:53
Jul 19, 2003, 20:53

...making battle scenes in Operation Flashpoint.

Yeah.

Jul 20, 2003, 10:49
Re: History by the writer Jul 20, 2003, 10:49
Jul 20, 2003, 10:49

Wow - you're right, that Appleseed project sounds really exciting. I wonder how far along they are, given some of the articles are over a year old.

Definitely something to keep an ear open for. Thanks for the head's up.

This comment was edited on Jul 20, 10:49.
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer