Steam Beta Opens

The Steam Website now offers public downloads of the Steam beta, which will provide access to the Counter-Strike version 1.6 beta. Steam offers downloads and auto-patching of Valve games, chat, server browsing, and more. According to the site: "Stay tuned for a blast of HL2 full-motion goodness, brought to you very soon via Steam."
View : : :
74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: Downloading eh?
Jul 12, 2003, 22:48
Re: Downloading eh? Jul 12, 2003, 22:48
Jul 12, 2003, 22:48

Well Dan I just left one HELLUVA and I mean HELLUVA shity assed ISP SuperWeb it's a Newfoundland ONLY ISP and it's good thing it's in this back water shithole only no way would it be able to exsist in the real world. They almost literally changed(10 mins after) their EULA while I was on the phone canceling their service! THey changed the notice from 24 hours to 30 days and gave me some shity assed credit for them only and I know I'll never use it so I"m REALLY pissed at them.
Oh ya I'm with Aliant's Sympatico it's 1.5/640 and I get 1.2/~490 so I'm pretty happy it's $34.95(12 month contract)+ $5 for the rent to own of the modem over a buncha months. It really adds up to the same price as my last shity ISP(39.95/month) just Sympatico is good and trustworthy I'm finding already I'm having a better experience with their tech support,also SUPERWEB's tech support was something like 8am-9pm and they are so understaffed that you'd always get a gay voice mail box shit. SO anyway good ridance to them!
OH ya and it was really hillarious that they sent spam to all their customers about a promotion to entice 2 more ppl to get a free month of cable, SHIT if you enticed 2 ppl to get that crap you deserve a fucking trophy for fucking over a friend the worst way possible.
Further more IF YOU ARE IN AN AREA WITH THAT OFFERS SUPERWEB JUST SAY NO, ACTAULLY SAY "FUCK YOU SUPERWEB"!
Oh and their homo site with the now changed EULA(which you have to go to signup to access(theres really no other way, or at least no really easy to see direct way)) URL is www.superweb.ca

Re: post #4 (quoted herein)
Jul 12, 2003, 20:45
Re: post #4 (quoted herein) Jul 12, 2003, 20:45
Jul 12, 2003, 20:45

"what are the publishers going to say about this?? hehehe... I love it!!!! the balance of power is shifting towards the developers... I hope Steam kicks some ass!!!"

My guess is that steam will do okay, but not as good as Valve would hope. It will just be a novelty.

Moreover, games will cost nearly the same. Even though a huge amount of the expense of a game is the cost of pressing CDs, buying jewel cases, boxes, printing cover art, & publishers fees for everything from marketing to retailer's shelf space costs, you can expect Half-Life 2 & other games to cost pretty close to retail rates. People are used to spending $50 for a game. Valve's idea with steam is to reduce the cost of a game from $36 or whatever & pocket that $36 by charging you $40. So now instead of getting $14 a game, they get $40. Not only that, but everytime you use steam, it says it is updating something, but what it is really doing is giving you a popup ad, then soon a fucking commercial, because Valve isn't satisfied with three times the money per game, they also want a trickle money from advertisers.

I think that Steam is a good idea as far as ideas go, but so far I don't like where greed is making it go. If you really think about it, Valve would still be ahead if they charged us $25 or even $20 for Half Life 2. But they won't do that because Valve isn't our friend completely. I'm all for people making a profit, but this looks like they're bending over their customer base for a super gang-rape of historical proportions.

Jul 12, 2003, 15:37
Re: Downloading eh? Jul 12, 2003, 15:37
Jul 12, 2003, 15:37

Actually your wrong Sympatico just abolished it's caps yup even BELL they offically did it!

Ya, I just looked into that and that's good news.... if they didn't make you rent their modem for 10 dollars a month. I have my own dsl modem and I don't really have 10 dollars a month to pay to lease a 2nd DSL modem. Their site gives you a bunch of bullshit about their modems are the only ones that work with their service. Do you know what? All the DSL lines in the province are run by Bell and they are all the same no matter what provider you go through. Guess whose DSL modem is working with the DSL service? Maybe it has something to do with the hardware at the ISP but it shouldn't be hard to support my modem that is already running DSL on Bell's lines. I think this is just another way for Bell to hike their fees. You guys think Microsoft bad, come to Canada and see Bell's monopoly. They own the phones, the DSL internet, television, radio, etc.

edit: I just also want to add how I worked at a small ISP and when the city finally got DSL, Bell stalled the ISP from being able to use the technology for several months which lead to their customers leaving their existing dialup services and going for cable or Bell's high speed internet. They later went out of business probably because of this. Fucking ridiculous.

"The" Dan
Supporter of the "A happy fredster is an unmuted fredster" fanclub.
http://users.ign.com/collection/Danteloupe
This comment was edited on Jul 12, 15:40.
ExcessDan

Re: Half-Life for free
Jul 12, 2003, 14:43
Re: Half-Life for free Jul 12, 2003, 14:43
Jul 12, 2003, 14:43

It doesn't seem to be working.

Half-Life for free
Jul 12, 2003, 14:30
Half-Life for free Jul 12, 2003, 14:30
Jul 12, 2003, 14:30

Anyone not ever played Half-Life and can't be bothered to buy it?

Get Steam. Tell it to download Half-Life. Play it all the way through. Complete your life. Wait for Half-Life 2. End.

I think.

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 14:31.

A progress bar would be nice...
Jul 12, 2003, 14:18
A progress bar would be nice... Jul 12, 2003, 14:18
Jul 12, 2003, 14:18

Maybe I've done something wrong, but I've been preparing to play Counterstrike for about 10 minutes....

No subject
Jul 12, 2003, 14:13
No subject Jul 12, 2003, 14:13
Jul 12, 2003, 14:13

Im at CompUSA typing on a MAC with a spoogerific 23 inch active matrix screen.

I'm in love.

*slaps dept. manager trying to kick me off*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
PAH!
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Re: Got Steam? Down with the middle men!
Jul 12, 2003, 14:06
Re: Got Steam? Down with the middle men! Jul 12, 2003, 14:06
Jul 12, 2003, 14:06

While I think that publishers are watching steam with interest, I don't think they are shakin' in their boots just yet. Even though steam is an alternative to the traditional box method, I think at least for now, most people will want to still buy the physical box game rather than download it on the fly. Besides, I think publishers are looking for something like this. Why not have a distribution system where you can provide all the games in your library (or most at least) on demand for users. Rather than just one dev house's offerings, get the exclusive rights like they have been doing and offer many more games. This makes it easier for people to get games and perhaps easier for people to make impulse buys, as all they have to do is click a button if they see a game they like instead of going to the store.

The other thing I find interesting is the possibility for movie rentals and other things like that, where the consumer doesn't have any expectations of keeping some physical remnant of what they spent their money on.

Ofcourse this is all speculation, but I find it interesting. Plus what I have used of steam so far is pretty cool.

HL2 and Steam
Jul 12, 2003, 14:00
HL2 and Steam Jul 12, 2003, 14:00
Jul 12, 2003, 14:00

Steam is gonna be gang-raped like a prison bitch when HL2 goes live. Then the entire server farm will explode and the building will collapse, killing dozens of people.

Then there will be the riots, of course. It's going to be like Lord of the Flies for a few days until things get sorted out.

Remember to store away plenty of fresh water and water-proof matches.

Edit: And you won't be able to play it from "any" computer. You have to be connected to the 'Net with at least a 128kb/s pipe. Over twice that of a perfect dialup connection.
This comment was edited on Jul 12, 14:07.

Jul 12, 2003, 13:58
Re: Downloading eh? Jul 12, 2003, 13:58
Jul 12, 2003, 13:58

Actually your wrong Sympatico just abolished it's caps yup even BELL they offically did it!

Steam runs constantly?
Jul 12, 2003, 13:56
Steam runs constantly? Jul 12, 2003, 13:56
Jul 12, 2003, 13:56

Hmm... just downloading Steam and installed it. At the end of the install process, it tried to set itself to run at every startup with a "-silent" option, which strikes me as a bit excessive - why does it need to run all the time? And perhaps more worryingly, why didn't it tell me it was going to do that? (I run StartupMonitor on this box, which is how I caught it)

Jul 12, 2003, 13:35
Re: Downloading eh? Jul 12, 2003, 13:35
Jul 12, 2003, 13:35

Thanks for the clarification Garry. One of the other pluses of this Steam format would be that I or anyone else could play it from anywhere, including work or from public internet access. Would this still be an option if I downloaded the entire game onto my HD? Unless there is a significant price difference I will still opt for the retail edition. I think my company firewall will probably make it impossible to connect from work.

Although Steam seems to have a lot of potential I can see problems in the future. One would be if and when they choose to make certain things pay Steam exclusives. The other larger and potentially crippling issue is that broadband companies are starting to introduce monthly bandwidth limits. In Canada the DSL monster Sympatico already has them in place and most customers don't even realize it because they have never exceeded the cap! Wait until their kids fire up Steam AND Kazaa! The game may be cheaper online but you may end up paying your ISP a nice penalty.

Jul 12, 2003, 13:27
Re: Downloading eh? Jul 12, 2003, 13:27
Jul 12, 2003, 13:27

Not to advocate piracy, but piracy will never affect the price of games because the prices are now fixed at a standard.

What business would drop a set price that consumers have been willing to pay for years: "Hey Bob, I was just thinking, why do we need to make so much of a profit on this game? Why don't we just drop the price now that theres less piracy." Not gonna happen.

In this case it may be cheaper because they're trying to 'buy' people into to this new system - so they need incentives to offer the consumer. But I'll bet my left buttock that prices will not drop if this ever does become a standard distribution method.

Jul 12, 2003, 12:55
Re: Downloading eh? Jul 12, 2003, 12:55
Jul 12, 2003, 12:55

calm down dear

you can buy off steam, or you can buy it in a box. The main reason for buying through steam would be that a) you get it a little earlier and b) it's cheaper. Obviously it's sucess will rest on if they can provide the connection speed, if it works as faultless as it does from the box (no entering a cd key and no 'installing', yay!)and the price difference between that and the boxed version.

And I think we all want it to fail, god forbid someone try something to reduce the costs of games and the amount of piracy - I've ordered games before (vice city, mafia) - and been that excited that I've downloaded the warez version and played them until my retail copy came along. So i'd downloaded it anyway even tho i'd bought it. Breaking the law yeah but now we should be able to do it legally!

All they have to do is release it on steam a week early to beat the warezers - then release it in box form and have it ripped and cracked - but the people who would have payed anyway have already bought it through steam because they couldnt wait!

it's a good idea for everyone I think.

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 13:01.

Downloading eh?
Jul 12, 2003, 12:38
Downloading eh? Jul 12, 2003, 12:38
Jul 12, 2003, 12:38

Well I thought it was outrageous when Bioware went and skimped on jewel cases for NWNs but THIS this is rediculous! They don't have to give you any cd case, and manual(aside from the gay online one)and pepople will pay for this! This is a bigger monstrosity than the god damn subscriptions to IGN or Gamespot, or File Planet or File Shack. I know that bandwith doesn't just grow on trees, but if they want me to pay for something totally virtual I say fuck them. I hope Steams pay system goes down more than SW:G on it's launch days, then all the consumers will be totally pissed and never use it again.
FUCK Steam!

Got Steam? Down with the middle men!
Jul 12, 2003, 12:03
Got Steam? Down with the middle men! Jul 12, 2003, 12:03
Jul 12, 2003, 12:03

Now that Half-Life 2 is around the corner we will finally be able to see Steam in action. A lot of entrepreneurs have tried this model of game distribution in the past (during the tech boom) and failed... one of the primary reasons for failure, I believe, is that these entrepreneurs did not have the customer base.

Since HL2 is such a highly anticipated game, Gabe has all the customer base he needs. So, if the broadband distribution of games is going to work, Steam is its best chance. I personally think it will succeed. Why? Because it is attractive to dev houses as well as (some) consumers.

Attractive to devs since they are "truly" independent now, and don't have to rely on a publisher or a publisher's contractual financing to get a game on retail shelves. And the devs don't have to worry about shelf space or the extra charge that the retailer takes either. So, game prices shouldn't be as high and the developers are no longer the publisher's bitch. Furthermore, (some) consumers like it since they dont have to line up, drive to stores to find games on release dates and deal with the fucking geek employees at your local EB store. (Granted, some consumers like the smell of the new box, but I prefer the smell of a woman instead... but I digress...)

Havings said that are publishers/retailers not concerned about this trend? (assuming Steam will be successful, which I think it will be). Eventually other game devs will be leasing Steam technology to sell their wares, and other larger dev houses (id? the Unreal guys?) may even develop their own Steam-clones. ..

... so my question is: to you guys who work in the games industry... have you heard any rumblings about the possible shift in power between the devs and the publishers IF broadband game developing becomes a success? Not even some small rumblings?

Come on... at least publishers' and retailers' attention should be perked by this a little bit!

Agree? Disagree?

(taken from my qt3 forum post)

- Dr.Del
- DrDel

Re: No subject
Jul 12, 2003, 11:48
Re: No subject Jul 12, 2003, 11:48
Jul 12, 2003, 11:48

>Didn't they already release that in a 500 MB download? I'm sure what I watched wasn't a handicam version?

yes it was, if you can hear people saying "woo" and "yee haw" and "will this run on my 386" then its the cam version.

>I don't think you download any game. I don't care what broadband pipe you got. You won't be dowloading any modern games in "minutes". I think your game stays online and you have some unique identifier for saved games and multiplayer! It sounds like even in single player you have to be online... how else could you access your game "from any PC"?

you download what you need to get started playing the game, if its a single player game (ie hl2) it will be downloading level 2 whilst you're playing level 1, then level 3 etc. If its a multiplayer (ie counter-strike) it downloads what it needs to get in a game, then downloads seperate maps and sounds when it comes to them (it's a lot faster than it sounds because evrything is compressed)

It downloads a footprint, the bare minimum of what you need - then goes from there.

Ok, maybe not 2 mins of downloading, but you set it off, have a shower, check your email and you're ready to get stuck in.

>Is there going to be a monthly fee for this Steam or just the fee of the games you purchase?

The monthly fee is an option, although this won't be the case with hl2 it might be an option in the future when you rent movies or games or whatever.

Of course instead of 'streaming' the game you can right click on it and go to always keep updated and it will download the whole thing all in one go.

Steamy
Jul 12, 2003, 11:24
Steamy Jul 12, 2003, 11:24
Jul 12, 2003, 11:24

I've been playing HL DM and mods all morning via steam and I really like it so much better than the regular game menu driven UI. You can finally leave to adjust your control mapping without being dropped from the session entirely. I also seem to have had a fair game of CS for once (re; little or no cheating).

I like this Steam™!

PAH!
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Jul 12, 2003, 10:44
Re: No subject Jul 12, 2003, 10:44
Jul 12, 2003, 10:44

apparently the new HL2 media is the e3 movie that was released via handcam

Didn't they already release that in a 500 MB download? I'm sure what I watched wasn't a handicam version?

The Steam website blurb states this:
Steam consumers enjoy the benefit of starting their favorite applications within minutes of confirming their purchase. They can access their applications from any PC. They are no longer challenged to find the latest updates for these applications.

I don't think you download any game. I don't care what broadband pipe you got. You won't be dowloading any modern games in "minutes". I think your game stays online and you have some unique identifier for saved games and multiplayer! It sounds like even in single player you have to be online... how else could you access your game "from any PC"? So don't worry about formatting boys and girls.

Is there going to be a monthly fee for this Steam or just the fee of the games you purchase? Please someone help because as much hot air as this Steam has created a lot of people seem to be at a lost as to how it actually works!

Jul 12, 2003, 10:26
Re: No subject Jul 12, 2003, 10:26
Jul 12, 2003, 10:26

So many people will be buying HL2 from Steam that THE INTERNET WILL EXPLODE!!!

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22
Who knows but that, on the lower frequencies, I speak for you?
http://citizenb.com/ - Now at v1.1
74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older