Out of the Blue

Sigh. I went against the old adage about not fixing something that was not broken yesterday, and tried to uninstall one of the multiple versions of Java installed on my computer and, naturally enough, broke something really badly. Now the odd behavior I am not able to shake is a memory leak with FrontPage (which I have used for years as an easy HTML editor). It's a little spooky... even saving a blank page immediately triggers the leak, which continues straight on until the system crashes. Sorry about the late update and over-aged news. This has been a real nightmare, I've transferred everything to a different machine now, and I'm really beginning to suspect my aging hardware may just need to be put out to pasture at this point (hey, this may be turn into a sponsorship opportunity for some hardware type!).

Links of the Day: Beer For The Homeless.
Symantec Offering Virus Sponsorship. Thanks Ant.
Stories of the Day: Protecting Its Proprietary Pork.
Japan's 'digital shoplifting' plague.
CDs in soft drink cup caps. Thanks Tony!!!
Weird Science: Giant sea creature baffles Chilean scientists.
British troops try out 'James Bond' style X-ray specs.
Wild Science: Kraft Plans to Rethink Some Products to Fight Obesity (registration required). Hell 3/5s of their name spells fat!
U.S. Is Urged by Panel to Tell Women About Dioxins (registration required).
Image of the Day: The making of the Falcon. Thanks John W. Simms.
Follow-ups: Why the Do Not Call Registry May Not Work.
Blood, gore Video game ratings updated. Thanks Jim Hendrickson.
Auction of the Day: AIR GUITAR.... Excellent Condition!. Thanks Dave Claycomb.
Thanks Mike Martinez.
View : : :
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: FrontPage
Jul 3, 2003, 18:03
Re: FrontPage Jul 3, 2003, 18:03
Jul 3, 2003, 18:03

Adding to this list:

Hardware: www.mwave.com (Multiwave Direct). Their prices are frequently comparable to NewEgg and they also carry a high rating with www.resellerratings.com

I've ordered from them for about 4 years now and get the stuff fast with low shipping costs and no problems. I've been also ordering from newegg.com for about 6 months and have had great experiences there as well.

Memory: www.crucial.com Although I've been going with Mushkin for years.

My thought is that your desire to build vs. buy should be heavily weighted by the level of computer you want, followed by the customization of the components as the second factor, with software being a 3rd factor to consider.

With retail prices of components being what they are and the computer makers getting slim profit margins on the low-end machines, and especially if you're planning to buy a new operating system and/or MS Office Suite, you're often better off buying, since you'll be cutting quality corners on the components just to keep your build cost down.

Going for a high-end system, you can build a better system cheaper than you can buy.

No subject
Jul 3, 2003, 16:55
No subject Jul 3, 2003, 16:55
Jul 3, 2003, 16:55

I actually have IL2 and all that, but you can only shoot down so many planes before it gets boring. I think Aces High did that to me.

*flight sim nut*

CDs
Jul 3, 2003, 15:40
CDs Jul 3, 2003, 15:40
Jul 3, 2003, 15:40

CD quality is ok.
Vynil is superior.

Many can not hear the difference.

Re: CDs Nutz
Jul 3, 2003, 15:12
nin

Re: CDs Nutz Jul 3, 2003, 15:12
Jul 3, 2003, 15:12
 nin

Ummm how can you say CD sound quality is only ok? 320 kbps sounds pretty good to me!

I do all my mp3s at 320, and that sound just as good as cd. I think his point was aimed more at the mp3s you find on the net, which could sound great, or could be total shit. This is exactly why I don't fish for mp3s from others - you never know what the hell you're getting.

As far as collectability, I think that's a subjective thing. I get singles from the UK once or twice a month and have a ton of cds. The single market is dead in the US, so if I want b-sides and remixes, I have to import.

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

http://www.originaltrilogy.com/

Re: No subject
Jul 3, 2003, 14:13
Re: No subject Jul 3, 2003, 14:13
Jul 3, 2003, 14:13

I'll second the IL-2 suggestion..

Re: CDs Nutz
Jul 3, 2003, 13:56
Re: CDs Nutz Jul 3, 2003, 13:56
Jul 3, 2003, 13:56

Ummm how can you say CD sound quality is only ok? 320 kbps sounds pretty good to me!

CDs Nutz
Jul 3, 2003, 11:28
CDs Nutz Jul 3, 2003, 11:28
Jul 3, 2003, 11:28

Vynil Records with large artwork are worth every penny.

I could not imagine having a CD collection any longer. I am surprised music CDs have lasted this long, with all the cheap burners and 100gb HDs availble.
A rich mans 8-Track tape indeed.

I wonder why people still buy CDs? While CD sound quality is OK, the sound quality of analog records is better* (as long as they are cared for and played on a GOOD Hi-Fi stereo). CDs have failed as a collectable medium.

MP3s sound even worse (10-1 compression) than CDs, but (ahmmm), they're free*.
MP3s are like a demo of what could found in real media.
And with laptops, iPods and such, portability of tunes
free from scratching and smudging is like a dream.

I don't think many people can hear the difference anymore, or they just do not care to hear the true warmth of music offered on those OLD records.

analog music makes me happy.

Re: No subject
Jul 3, 2003, 09:18
Jim
Re: No subject Jul 3, 2003, 09:18
Jul 3, 2003, 09:18
Jim

Computer games are in a period of stagnation right now (unless your're a flight simmer anyway). There have been no major improvements to game engines or game ideas in a good 4 years now. Just look at all the Q3 and Unreal-based FPS's, how many WW2 games we have now, and all the RPG's look alike. Just wait a few more months for HALF-LIFE 2, and you won't be sick of the same old dribble anymore.

In the meantime, if you have a joystick, go and download the IL-2 demo( http://www.il2sturmovik.com ). I know it's a couple of years old, but if you like it, you can get Forgotten battles, which is the new and improved version.

Jim

No subject
Jul 3, 2003, 05:26
No subject Jul 3, 2003, 05:26
Jul 3, 2003, 05:26

So Id like to officially and publicly announce that computer games do not entertain me anymore. I would like to think EA, Sony, Epic and id Software for making this possible.

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 05:28.

Re: FrontPage
Jul 3, 2003, 03:07
Re: FrontPage Jul 3, 2003, 03:07
Jul 3, 2003, 03:07

Try some of these
Search:
www.pricewatch.com (the best - learn this one)
www.pricegrabber.com
www.nexttag.com

Hardware:
www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv
www.googlegear.com/
www.newegg.com/
www.heatsinkfactory.com/
www.ussa.com/
www.partspc.com/

Memory (go right to the company and save $$$)
www.mushkin.com/
www.corsairmicro.com/

Software
Norton System Works 2k3 Pro w/Ghost:
www.westgatemedia.com/products/norton_sw2k3.html
XP Pro sw/p1 (OEM):
www.spartantech.com/

Remember, check each place for each item you need.
For instance - www.ussa.com had the absolute best prices on CD/RW drives and more. They were great on the phone and right on time with shipping.

If shipping is free, then go with the cheapest place. If not, "Add to Cart" the cheapest/lightest items first. Why, because some shipping calculators give you a break for add-ons. Also, shipping may be free and watch the tax add on for some companies now. They are doing it because the courts say they can. I have been charged for out of state taxes already (once).

Good luck - I have built 11 computers from new parts and more than 20 from company discards and other sources. Gave many away to those who needed them. Sigh, those days are gone...

Mark

Re: Any suggestions?
Jul 3, 2003, 01:17
Re: Any suggestions? Jul 3, 2003, 01:17
Jul 3, 2003, 01:17

Yup, looks good. Thanks, warpig.

Re: Any suggestions?
Jul 2, 2003, 23:51
WarPig

Re: Any suggestions? Jul 2, 2003, 23:51
Jul 2, 2003, 23:51
 WarPig

So I'm interested in something that can roll and unroll network cable so it doesn't get all tangled up all the time. Does anyone know of where I can get something like this?

How about something like this?

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productList&function=search&categoryId=CORD_REELS%2FORGANIZER.CATEGORY&pad=true

EDIT: I just clicked on the link to make sure it worked and it didn't. Anyway, all I did was go to www.lowes.com and did a search for "cord reel". It came up with two that looked like they might work for you.

-----------------------------------------
I am WarPig... pull my finger!

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 23:56.

GO SEAHAWKS!

Re: CDs
Jul 2, 2003, 23:47
Re: CDs Jul 2, 2003, 23:47
Jul 2, 2003, 23:47

You're being ripped off if you're paying $17.99 per CD. You can buy cheap ones in packs of 50 for like 10 bucks or so. No jewel cases though.

I think he was talking about CDs that actually have something ON them, indiv.

Creston

Jul 2, 2003, 23:15
Re: CDs Jul 2, 2003, 23:15
Jul 2, 2003, 23:15

You have to pay people for production, studio time, marketing, retail space, interns
Mmmmm... paying for interns...

That's what Clinton does nowadays, right? Doesn't get'em for free anymore...

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 23:16.

Jul 2, 2003, 22:51
indiv

Re: CDs Jul 2, 2003, 22:51
Jul 2, 2003, 22:51
 indiv

Can someone explain to me why music CDs are so cheap they can be freely distributed with throw-away soda cups while at the same time being sold for $17.99 at the mall?

You're being ripped off if you're paying $17.99 per CD. You can buy cheap ones in packs of 50 for like 10 bucks or so. No jewel cases though.

Seriously, though, I agree that CDs are too expensive. But I really don't like the argument that since they cost pennies to produce they should cost pennies. You have to pay people for production, studio time, marketing, retail space, interns, and hordes of other expenses.

You'll find that most high-end electronics are made of very inexpensive components. Where does all the cost come from? Design and production, not materials.

Any suggestions?
Jul 2, 2003, 22:32
Any suggestions? Jul 2, 2003, 22:32
Jul 2, 2003, 22:32

Okay, I thought I'd ask you guys for some suggestions. My xbox is in my living room, while my dsl modem and hub are in my study. I can't afford a wireless router and bridge right now, so I'm forced to unrolling a super long piece of rj-45 cable across my condo whenever I want to play my xbox online.

So I'm interested in something that can roll and unroll network cable so it doesn't get all tangled up all the time. Does anyone know of where I can get something like this?

CDs
Jul 2, 2003, 21:03
Red
CDs Jul 2, 2003, 21:03
Jul 2, 2003, 21:03
Red

Can someone explain to me why music CDs are so cheap they can be freely distributed with throw-away soda cups while at the same time being sold for $17.99 at the mall?

Why again is music pirated?

Completely Off Topic
Jul 2, 2003, 20:47
Completely Off Topic Jul 2, 2003, 20:47
Jul 2, 2003, 20:47

I have a Real Producer '.rm' video file I want to chop in half. Can anyone point me to a program that will let me do this? Real Producer can't, so I've not clue what else may.

Re: sidenote
Jul 2, 2003, 20:45
Re: sidenote Jul 2, 2003, 20:45
Jul 2, 2003, 20:45

I heartily agree, I even use newegg over the pricewatch dealers, they may not always be as cheap, but they have free shipping on alot of items!!! Their site could use a little help in design but I guess they didn't spend much money on it which is fine with me!
And I also got a free newegg hat with my last order. I know that wont exactly be a fashion statement but for a computer nerd maybe it is.

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 20:48.

Re: sidenote
Jul 2, 2003, 20:14
Re: sidenote Jul 2, 2003, 20:14
Jul 2, 2003, 20:14

Alienware and Falcon Northwest deliver great gaming machines, but they aren't exactly cheap. However, their machines are just as good as if you built one yourself, tweaked and everything, and if you tell them you don't want any crap installed, they won't install any crap. Unlike Dell and Gateway and Compaq etc.

Creston

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older