More on the Blizzard Departures

Gaming defections could hamper Vivendi gaming unit sale on CNN Money offers more on the shake-up at Blizzard following some key departures. Along the way we get the first hints that plans from the group that has departed may be more forthcoming that might have been imagined:
Later Tuesday, the now former-Blizzard employees will sit down for the first time to discuss – and name – their new game development company. None of the four were under contract nor were they bound by non-compete agreements. And all, he said, are eager to start working on a new product.
Update: Another Q&A with Bill Roper discussing the departures is up on HomeLAN Fed.
View : : :
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Um...
Jul 2, 2003, 16:12
Re: Um... Jul 2, 2003, 16:12
Jul 2, 2003, 16:12

ok, gotcha. Point taken

-----------------------------------------------------
http://nicebreakers.gotdns.com
Cry 'havoc', and let slip the dogs o' war!
"Oh that's blue. He's an old navy vet that hangs around my store a lot. But don't worry about it, he's legit."

Jul 2, 2003, 16:02
Re: Um... Jul 2, 2003, 16:02
Jul 2, 2003, 16:02

His usage of "usurp", as far as opinionated political rhetoric goes, was fine; not quite sure what you're getting at...
That's if you believe the political rhetoric.

Anyway, to stay on topic, down with Vivendi! Greedy bastards.

Jul 2, 2003, 12:03
Re: Um... Jul 2, 2003, 12:03
Jul 2, 2003, 12:03

Jesus what a bunch of fucktards, the company makes classic games and sell millions and yet it's still not enought for them retards, I hope they(Vivendi) go fucking bankrupt. >:[

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 12:06.

Jul 2, 2003, 11:21
Re: Um... Jul 2, 2003, 11:21
Jul 2, 2003, 11:21

You might want to do the same before you use "usurp" in a sentence again.

His usage of "usurp", as far as opinionated political rhetoric goes, was fine; not quite sure what you're getting at...

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=usurp

http://nicebreakers.gotdns.com
Cry 'havoc', and let slip the dogs o' war!
This comment was edited on Jul 2, 11:22.
"Oh that's blue. He's an old navy vet that hangs around my store a lot. But don't worry about it, he's legit."

Re: OT: Tribes Vengeance
Jul 2, 2003, 10:55
Re: OT: Tribes Vengeance Jul 2, 2003, 10:55
Jul 2, 2003, 10:55

I agree take Splinter Cell, Rune, Wheel of Time, Rainbow Six 3, none of them played like Unreal and use the same engine.
This comment was edited on Jul 2, 10:57.

Jul 2, 2003, 10:35
Re: Um... Jul 2, 2003, 10:35
Jul 2, 2003, 10:35

I still think the French are getting what they deserve for being French and all that...or Canadian as well. Everyone knows that the French and Canadian are from France and Canada.
Is it hard work being that stupid, or does it just come naturally? I'm always amazed that boneheads like Bush can not only usurp an election, but mislead a country into going a war...then I meet people like you and understand how that's possible.

You mean you took that first statement seriously? ROFL! Perhaps looking up the definition of sarcasm might decrease your ignorance in some small measure.

OT: Tribes Vengeance
Jul 2, 2003, 09:06
OT: Tribes Vengeance Jul 2, 2003, 09:06
Jul 2, 2003, 09:06

Yes, the Unreal Engine is great, but now TV will "feel" like Unreal. Sierra is taking the easy way out just to make money.

There is absolutely no reason that TV should feel like Unreal. The team has written a new physics engine from scratch and they are aware that the new game needs to have that tribes feeling. Using a licensed engine that you can modify a lot isn't the same as making a mod for game. It's too early to tell if TV will be any good but I don't think using an existing engine is a problem.

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 09:07.

No subject
Jul 2, 2003, 08:35
No subject Jul 2, 2003, 08:35
Jul 2, 2003, 08:35

Yes, it will take alot more than 4 people to make a major game. Programmers get canned, or leave, start their own studio, then get hired from a major company to work on a portion of a game. But they don't make the entire game themselves, that takes 50 people and many departments.

The trend I'm seeing lately really sucks. Major companies are contracting out the work to smaller studios because they are lazy and try to save money.

Look at Sierra with Tribes Vengeance. First they pick the Unreal Engine, then they hire Irrational to make the game. Yes, the Unreal Engine is great, but now TV will "feel" like Unreal. Sierra is taking the easy way out just to make money.

Look at Id, they make the engine, then hire someone else to make the game.

I mean, the only company left that is doing it all from start to finish is Valve with HL2. Yes, I know there are a few others that do an entire game, but that number is dropping.

give it up
Jul 2, 2003, 05:30
give it up Jul 2, 2003, 05:30
Jul 2, 2003, 05:30

Can you children direct your non-blizzard-non-newspost related debates elsewhere? For crying out loud...

Jul 2, 2003, 01:03
Re: Um... Jul 2, 2003, 01:03
Jul 2, 2003, 01:03

Invest in a dictionary and learn what a word means before you use it incorrectly as you've just done.
You might want to do the same before you use "usurp" in a sentence again.

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 01:03.

Jul 1, 2003, 23:50
Re: Um... Jul 1, 2003, 23:50
Jul 1, 2003, 23:50

What hypocrisy would that be? Nowhere at all have I been hypocritical. Invest in a dictionary and learn what a word means before you use it incorrectly as you've just done. You may want to try upgrading your English comprehension skills to at least junior high school as well because you clearly need to.
Better to keep you mouth shut and be suspected a fool, than open it and remove all doubt. Much like you've just done.
Thanks for coming out anyway, skippy.

Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large.
http://www.mythicarealms.com
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

Re: Bleh
Jul 1, 2003, 23:03
Re: Bleh Jul 1, 2003, 23:03
Jul 1, 2003, 23:03

I like a good French kiss, and I am sure the ladies like Frech ticklers. And I certainly like wiping my ass with silk.

Jul 1, 2003, 22:05
Re: Bleh Jul 1, 2003, 22:05
Jul 1, 2003, 22:05

oh well papyrus puts out the same boring race games where you go in a circle 200 times and you crash and you're out of the race

well for one, i dont crash. second, they made the best physics engine of any game anywhere. third, i hope that now they can make another open-wheel sim, cause the awesome physics engine has been wasted on nascar. I would LOVE to see a new CART sim by papyrus.

Can't we all get along... sniff ..sniff
Jul 1, 2003, 21:22
Can't we all get along... sniff ..sniff Jul 1, 2003, 21:22
Jul 1, 2003, 21:22

It seems like every topic degrades into I hate France or I hate the USA kind of thing.

Can't we go back to the good days we liked the French because they produced good wine, good food, sexy Accent. and we Liked America for Hotdogs, Budwiser, Miller, Hollywood etc.

Back on topic.
Blizzard in my eyes always produced quality games(starcraft, Diablo etc) and I am hoping this new team and whats left of Blizzard churn out more quality games for us Gamers.

Jul 1, 2003, 20:52
Re: Um... Jul 1, 2003, 20:52
Jul 1, 2003, 20:52

Is it hard work being that stupid, or does it just come naturally? I'm always amazed that boneheads like Bush can not only usurp an election, but mislead a country into going a war...then I meet people like you and understand how that's possible.

Well, that's a nicely formed block of hypocrisy. I love the irony....

Next time you want to come down on some one for being "stupid", you might want to try _not_ being even more stupid than the original poster.

Jul 1, 2003, 20:07
Re: Um... Jul 1, 2003, 20:07
Jul 1, 2003, 20:07

I still think the French are getting what they deserve for being French and all that...or Canadian as well. Everyone knows that the French and Canadian are from France and Canada.

Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large.
http://www.mythicarealms.com
"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

Jul 1, 2003, 20:05
Re: Bleh Jul 1, 2003, 20:05
Jul 1, 2003, 20:05

I rather suspect Roper was instrumental in a lot more than just Diablo, given that he was a VP there and the guy that got trotted out to do all the interviews for WarCraft III, Ghost, etc. What his role in developing all of those games was I'm not 100% sure but it sure seems he had an impact across the board, not just on the Diablo line.

But that doesn't answer the question of what impact this departure will have on the rest of the company, that's true.

Jul 1, 2003, 18:33
Re: Bleh Jul 1, 2003, 18:33
Jul 1, 2003, 18:33

I think people are giving these four guys a little TOO much credit. What game(s) did Blizzard North make? Diablo, its sequel and associated expansion. Starcraft, Warcraft-series, WOW, and Starcraft-Ghost, are being developed by Blizzard, not Blizzard North, if I remember correctly.

Sure, losing four talented higher-ups is bad, but to be honest they were/are responsbile for only ONE game out of MANY that has made Blizzard popular and successful, not all.

BTW, we have an employee discount program that allow us to buy ALL Blizzard and Sierra published games for $10 each. Ha! WC3-expansion is next on my list

Edit - spelling

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 18:36.
You cannot make anything fool-proof. The fools are too inventive

GW: Tr Gandhi (Ra), Shiva Sung (Mo), Mangal Pandey (Ne), Rana Pratap Singh (Wa), Boddhi Satwa (Ri), Bhagat Singh (De), Bahadur Shastri (Pa)

Jul 1, 2003, 18:16
Re: Bleh Jul 1, 2003, 18:16
Jul 1, 2003, 18:16

papyrus will probably also leave sierra/vivendi

doesn't matter, Vivendi lost the NASCAR liscense to EA. Papyrus will find work though, they're extremely talented.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
PAH!
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

hee
Jul 1, 2003, 18:12
hee Jul 1, 2003, 18:12
Jul 1, 2003, 18:12

Bill Roper quote:

Almost immediately after word of the resignations got out yesterday, the rumor mill began spitting out wild conspiracy theories. One of the most popular was the Blizzard North co-founders and Roper had learned of the gaming unit's likely buyer and quit, feeling their creativity might be harnessed. Not true, said Roper.

"I wish we had gotten wind of anything," he chuckled. "No idea. No clues. No inklings. To be honest, that's part of the problem. What we know about the sale is what we read off the Internet and in the magazines and newspapers."

I know it sounds crass but I get a big ol' boner whenever anyone sticks it to suits in upper management, especially when said management are an arrogant bunch pricks (and French of all things..yesss). Blizzard has "Annual revenues of $600 million"??!! ...and Vivendi is going to kick them to the curb and keep them in the dark as to who may be picking them up?

Bill Roper says..."I don't THINK so..."

PAH!
This comment was edited on Jul 1, 18:18.
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older