Star Trek Game Lawsuit

Activision Files Breach of Contract Lawsuit Against Viacom (thanks Frans) reports a lawsuit that "Cites Viacom's Lack of Support for 'Star Trek' Movie and Television Franchise and Failure to Cooperate With Activision." Here's a portion describing the legalities involved:
In its complaint, which was filed in the Superior Court of the State of California on June 30, 2003, Activision accused Viacom of breaching its fundamental promise to continue exploiting the Star Trek franchise consistent with its practice at the time the agreement was signed in 1998. "Activision cannot successfully develop and sell Star Trek video games without the product exploitation and support promised by Viacom. A continuing pipeline of movie and television production, and related marketing, is absolutely crucial to the success of video games based on a property such as Star Trek," charged Activision in its court filings.

However, through its actions and inactions, Viacom has let the once proud Star Trek franchise stagnate and decay. Viacom has released only one "Star Trek" movie since entering into agreement with Activision and has recently informed Activision it has no current plans for further "Star Trek" films. Viacom also has allowed two "Star Trek" television series to go off the air and the remaining series suffers from weak ratings. Viacom also frustrated Activision's efforts to coordinate the development and marketing of its games with Viacom's development and marketing of its new movies and television series.
View : : :
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

rock climber
Jul 7, 2003, 12:57
rock climber Jul 7, 2003, 12:57
Jul 7, 2003, 12:57

rock climber needs to stick his head directly up a donkey's arse! Next time post an argument, not an extremely WEAK cut down!

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 12:58.

Nemesis is a really good Star Trek Movie
Jul 7, 2003, 12:52
Nemesis is a really good Star Trek Movie Jul 7, 2003, 12:52
Jul 7, 2003, 12:52

Nemesis has one of the most relevant storylines to our times as any sci-fi movie can. Picard & his nemesis illustrate the most difficult decisions of our day. The funny thing is...it is not about cloning. It is about how we treat our fellow humans. The nemesis deserves Picard's compassion because of the shared DNA. Yet, as the most humane android Data points out...'they' are not the same person, despite the identical DNA. The reason behind the dramatic difference 'tween the two is the socio/economic environment they were raised in. So, the question posed is; "Does knowing that under different circumstances, the nemesis would have turned out just like Picard, force us to excuse or explain away destructive (socio-pathic, abhorent) behavior?" The most logical answer, as Spock would tell us all, is "NO"! Therefore, Picard & the Enterprise crew do what they must. Much like our times, as we are being forced to fight the good fight for hopes of a more peaceful future

viva america
Jul 7, 2003, 11:59
viva america Jul 7, 2003, 11:59
Jul 7, 2003, 11:59

georgy bush u suck cocs you and your lesbian friend tony blair
--
cock climber aka rock climber

Re: This lawsuit is stupid
Jul 5, 2003, 13:55
Re: This lawsuit is stupid Jul 5, 2003, 13:55
Jul 5, 2003, 13:55

Activision has ST, ST:NG, STS9, ST:V, and enterprise to pull from for games. It' Activisions fault for not wanting to use what they have to create games. Not viacoms. the resources are there. Why activision doesn't whant to use them is beyond comprehension.

Not quite. Viacom is the immediate legal parent of Star Trek, the firewall, so to speak, in all lisencing negotiations; so you're very much correct on that term. However, it's Paramount that keeps such a tight reign over the various 'Trek franchises; including series, films, literature, etc., you name it. Because any nerd, believe me, can dream up a wonderful back story involving any number of scenarios in the 'Trek universe, but Activision is required to send any product idea to Paramount (and the typical 'Trek producers that helm every show) for approval.

This comment was edited on Jul 5, 13:56.

Re: This lawsuit is stupid
Jul 5, 2003, 06:17
Re: This lawsuit is stupid Jul 5, 2003, 06:17
Jul 5, 2003, 06:17

On a side note, I built a Star Trek / homeworld game you can find here:
http://www.carlhu.com/markhu

It's unfortunate that Nemesis and the new Enterprise series really make the franchise look bad, but I'll give them a chance all the way to Star Trek's last dying breath...

Enterprise...
Jul 5, 2003, 06:02
Enterprise... Jul 5, 2003, 06:02
Jul 5, 2003, 06:02

The problem with Enterprise is that it's SO predictable. Other series had an element such that the episode could go anywhere. With Enterprise it usually follows a basic shallow plot. Then they slap in "Trust me"... "give me your phaser so I can save your life otherwise you'll die"... what crock. The last thing I want to see is the Americanised crud that Star Trek now is - I don't want to see how Archer doesn't trust any other race but how he slowly accepts them and they accept him.

Also, Elite Force II is such a disappointment - all you do in it is climb into Tunnel A, crawl for a bit and then destroy Borg Terminal 2, THEN crawl out the way you came - repeat for good measure TWENTY TIMES to allow for ultimate enjoyment. ARGH! Plus, they really didn't have to turn Chell into a character worse than Neelix or all the DS9 cast put together.

Enterprise has potential but it was SOOOOOOOO annoying seeing Archer in one of the early episodes trying to be righteous with that woman giving gas to the kid... so damn predictable and SOOOOOOOO irritating. They seem to forget that even though it's back in time it's STILL ahead of our time - these people seem to be prehistoric in their stupidity. Plus, seeing Archer and T'Pal rub each other down is easily the worse thing Star Trek has ever done.

Just to clear a few things up now:

TOS was ok (films were good, series sometimes amazing, sometime weak)... prolly just cos it looks so dated in comparison.
TNG was good.
Voyager was good. (equal to TNG in certain ways but both had their own character)
DS9 was poor. I enjoyed the space battles but I found the cast to be incredibly irritating.
Babylon 5 had the best space battles but I'm not much of a fan... though I wanted the space sim game SO much, but then they go and flamin' cancel it (I'm not even a fan but that game looked ACE!).

PS - Where was the Voyager film??? They continue to make TNG films while it was going and after it finished, but Voyager (the most popular [and best] series after TNG) they ignore. Please may the next ST film be Voyager and NOT Enterprise...

This lawsuit is stupid
Jul 4, 2003, 09:16
This lawsuit is stupid Jul 4, 2003, 09:16
Jul 4, 2003, 09:16

Activision has ST, ST:NG, ST:DS9, ST:V, and enterprise to pull from for games. It' Activisions fault for not wanting to use what they have to create games. Not viacoms. the resources are there. Why activision doesn't whant to use them is beyond comprehension.

Re: asdf
Jul 3, 2003, 02:54
Re: asdf Jul 3, 2003, 02:54
Jul 3, 2003, 02:54

Space: Above and Beyond was a good show.

Shame it was cancelled. Lexx was brilliant.
"Save the attitude for someone who cares." - Judge Dredd.

Re: My views on star treck movies.
Jul 2, 2003, 17:33
Re: My views on star treck movies. Jul 2, 2003, 17:33
Jul 2, 2003, 17:33

Star Trek 6 and First Contact were great ST movies.

The B5 Rangers show I think just died in committee. JMS got Jeremiah going on Showtime and that takes all his time now. Besides, Sci Fi likes to cancel its shows, no matter how well they do, because they want to make $X on a show, and if the production costs go to high they kill it. So we would've had another Crusade scenario all over again.

The Jedi Master

My views on star treck movies.
Jul 2, 2003, 16:02
My views on star treck movies. Jul 2, 2003, 16:02
Jul 2, 2003, 16:02

Star treck movies have a problem all thier own. There really hasn't been a really good star trek movie since LEonard Nemoy directed Star Trek 3 and 4. Those movies had great stories and were directed and acted well. And most of all felt like movies not TV shows. Star Trek 5 was a disater in my opinion. The next gen movies were more like two hour TV shows. If they want the movies to continue they will need better stories and a top notch director. The tradition of letting cast members direct has not worked since Leonard Nemoy directed.

Voyager was a great show
Jul 2, 2003, 15:44
Voyager was a great show Jul 2, 2003, 15:44
Jul 2, 2003, 15:44

I don't know if alot of people realize it but star trek was always as much about the relationships of the crew as science fiction, space battles and such. The original star trek had interesting relationships between spock, kirk and bones. Next Generation had Data who was by far the most intersting character in the show. Voyager had great characters with the Doctor and Seven of 9. The first couple of years of Voyager was good but I thought it was really devolping into a great show the last year. Then they ended it. I don't know who put these 5 year time limits on the star trek series. They don't always make sense. I just cant get into the new show. Every show I have seen has felt sort of like a canned rewritten repeat of other series shows with a tidy ending that wraps everything up in an hour.

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 16:04.

asdf
Jul 2, 2003, 12:03
asdf Jul 2, 2003, 12:03
Jul 2, 2003, 12:03

Space: Above and Beyond was a good show. Someone should make a game about that. Bet the license would be cheap.

-----------------------------------------------------
http://nicebreakers.gotdns.com
Cry 'havoc', and let slip the dogs o' war!
-----------------------------------------------------
"Oh that's blue. He's an old navy vet that hangs around my store a lot. But don't worry about it, he's legit."

The issue...
Jul 2, 2003, 11:17
Eon
The issue... Jul 2, 2003, 11:17
Jul 2, 2003, 11:17
Eon

I take it you guys know that the development / marketing budget on a game are supposed to be roughly equal, right? Basically, by creating lots of new original content in the Star Trek universe, and giving Activision access to marketing materials from this new content, Viacom were picking up a sizable portion of that tab. And the best bit about it is that they would have done so simply in the process of creating and pushing their new shows.

See, games have to be set around events and characters within the Star Trek universe - and I'm sure you've noticed how doing so, whilst staying true to canon is pretty difficult. Hell - look at Elite Force! A group of Commando's who do the infantry and hazmat work, within a community the size of Voyagers, and never mentioned in any of the shows? That stretches credibility a LOT - and there have only been two games set in that franchise! With more original content, the designer gets to dip in here and there and, like a spider on a web, spread his weight out to avoid too many broken strands.

None of that will happen now - the pool of Star Trek content is vanishingly small, and the popularity of the series is waning amongst devotees and mainstream fans alike. This is nothing but bad news for a company that probably paid mucho dineros for the licensing rights. Whilst it's not fair that Viacom be beaten around the face and neck with a broken bottle, it's entirely fair that Activision recover the cash they spent to secure the licensing. This will mean that they can spend this cash on new product based around OTHER licenses or even, heaven forfend, some original product. Who knows?

The suit is bang on - one side has not lived up to their commitments.

Eon

Activision may have a point
Jul 2, 2003, 09:41
Activision may have a point Jul 2, 2003, 09:41
Jul 2, 2003, 09:41

I agree that Viacom needs to give Trek a rest. They milked the franchise for everything it's worth and the well is dry. BUT....

If Viacom was stupid enough to sign an agreement with Activision guaranteeing heavy promotion of Star Trek through additional movies and TV shows then they deserve to sued for breech of contract.

i hate sigs

Re: not a trekkie - but am a sci-fi fan
Jul 2, 2003, 02:44
Re: not a trekkie - but am a sci-fi fan Jul 2, 2003, 02:44
Jul 2, 2003, 02:44

I guess Q just didn't know about it? Ah omnipotence, such a drag.

Omniscience.

Your choice, but you're missing out on the best science fiction ever produced for television.

Blake's 7 and Space 1999 fans might disagree.

Though it had its interesting moments, I found the Star Trek series became increasingly banal as time went by. TNG became an irritating bore as time went by. DS9 started of boring, got exciting, then became boring again. STV slipped on a banana skin and never stopped falling. STE never left the launch pad.

The only thing worse than a jaded viewer is a jaded producer.
"Save the attitude for someone who cares." - Judge Dredd.

Re: Trek sucks.
Jul 2, 2003, 01:59
Re: Trek sucks. Jul 2, 2003, 01:59
Jul 2, 2003, 01:59

Babylon 5 is the best Sci Fi for TV for sure

Thank you.

I just wish that Crusade had made it. I really wanted humanity to be saved, but I guess we'll all perish from that Drak plague.

Ok, since we have some Bab5 fans here, can anyone tell me what the hell ever happened with this?

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/intro/

I can find some marginal summaries of the movie itself, but is there any news ANYWHERE about the series that JMS said he was going to do for the sci fi channel, or whatever?

As for Star Trek, I actually have to say that the last batch of games weren't all that bad. They weren't great, certainly, but definitely not crap.

Star Trek Armada 2 was enjoyable, even though it had many flaws.
Bridge Commander is seriously cool, if too short.
Elite Force and Elite Force 2 are fun to play for a few times. I just finished EF2, and think that overall it's very stylish, even though the story is pretty corny, and the level design goes from awesome to teh suck and back again.
And so on. So all in all, I think Activision hasn't done too badly with regards to the games (Well, not that they actually did anything besides put it in a box), but even so, their lawsuit is just a bunch of pathetic whining.

As for Enterprise, maybe I'll give it another try, and see if I can download a whole season somewhere, then watch it. Not giving it much hope though.

I fully agree with the comments about the captains. Picard was awesome. His strength lay in strategic thinking, innovation and diplomacy. For everything else, he had to rely on his crewmembers. Do you remember a single episode where Picard solves the problem with the warpcore? No.
Then came Voyager, and because it had a female captain, the writers had to make sure that she came across as a strong willed, independant woman for chrissakes, otherwise we'll get the Militant Lesbian Front all over us!
So, Janeway knows more about engineering than the chief engineer, knows more about communications than her communications officer, knows more about strategy than Tuvok, knows more about etc etc.
If it was a game, I'd say she'd been hacked to uberskills.

And Archer.. Well, let's just say that the only episode in which I really liked him was when he got pissed off over his dog nearly dying. I liked that character in him. Other than that, ehhmm yeah. Gung Ho?

Creston

Why Enterprise Sucks
Jul 2, 2003, 00:35
Why Enterprise Sucks Jul 2, 2003, 00:35
Jul 2, 2003, 00:35

A big part of any Star Trek series is the captain. Kirk, Picard, Sisko, & Janeway all had some serious cahones. Archer is just a whiny little bitch. Every time I see him on screen I want to slap him.

And what exactly is up with the Vulcans? I thought they suppress thier emotions? So why is it that they always seen like they're pissed off? T-Pol isn't repressed, she's just on the rag 24/7. And that 'bitch in heat' episode? WTF was that?

Also, some of the coolest stuff in ST is the technology, so why would we want to go BACKWARDS in this regard? Chemical-propelled torpedoes? On a ship with impulse and warp drives... Riiiiight.

The biggest mistake was trying to make Star Trek to appeal to the mainstream audiences. It's the the nerdy kid in school trying to suddenly be cool and popular. You can tell when someone is trying to hard to be something that they're not.

I'm done now.
---
Chris.

Re: not a trekkie - but am a sci-fi fan
Jul 1, 2003, 20:49
Re: not a trekkie - but am a sci-fi fan Jul 1, 2003, 20:49
Jul 1, 2003, 20:49

Matthew, your words wound me.

Oops!

Running to Blockbuster at the first opportunity,

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org
My spoon is too big!
-TPFKAS2S

Re: Trek sucks.
Jul 1, 2003, 20:10
Re: Trek sucks. Jul 1, 2003, 20:10
Jul 1, 2003, 20:10

I like Enterprise. I tend to download all of the episodes and save them until I have the entire season and then watch it. It's a lot better when you can see the character development by watching an ep a day than by having it stretched over months.

Babylon 5 is the best Sci Fi for TV for sure. It has a long, cohesive storyline that borrows heavily from myth and recreates it into a sci-fi theme. I will say the first season was pretty corny, but from about the time De'lynn went into a chrysalis, it got really interesting. The space battles were awesome to behold. I just wish that Crusade had made it. I really wanted humanity to be saved, but I guess we'll all perish from that Drak plague.

I also enjoy the TV movies with B5. I sure hope they come out with some more.

I hope Enterprise goes the full 7 seasons. I've been watching ST for years, and it's a well done show. I think it shows the trivial things that go on when you're in space, as well as the big conflicts. In real life, I think exploring would be a very dull thing, unless there's a hell of a lot more aliens out there than there seems to be.

Trek sucks.
Jul 1, 2003, 19:38
Trek sucks. Jul 1, 2003, 19:38
Jul 1, 2003, 19:38

In 1991, it was sometimes difficult to detect plot formulas in STTNG. It was "Great Trek". They'd blow up a fed ship for ya and it was just so edgy and new. We learned the jargon and poured over the Ocuda schematics. We weren't "fans" but we just loved this great show.

Then STTNG turned into a soap opera, DS9 gave us the 'Farengi Chronicles', Voyager was the damned Neelix show. And when Enterprise opened with that Bryan Adams song, it set the tone perfectly for the 'massage parlor in space' that was to come.

Aside from a few brief moments of brilliance, Trek sucks. It always has.

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older