More on Max Payne 2

Max Payne Headquarters (thanks Xombie) offers some details on the plans for Max Payne 2 based on a story in the latest print issue of PC Zone magazine, discussing the reasons for the subtitle "the Fall of Max Payne," and offering some new scanned screenshots from the third-person shooter sequel. The blurb offers a description of the efforts at making the story more integral to gameplay and some details. There are also reassurances that, in spite of a romantic angle, Max is not going all soft on us in the follow-up, which Remedy's Sam Lake says is "dark, tragic and violent, and mostly in Bullet-Time of course. Love hurts, and you just know there isn't going to be a happy ending? Or is there?"
View : : :
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Max Payne
Jul 5, 2003, 13:32
Re: Max Payne Jul 5, 2003, 13:32
Jul 5, 2003, 13:32

I guess I don't make any sense either because one thing I've never understood is why do people BUY movies, unless of course, there is some collectable value to it. I will watch a movie and enjoy it a great deal but feel no inclination to watch it again until years later! Is that strange ? I'm the same with literature. I may reread a book or short story but not until many years have passed.

I only played Max Payne once but I didn't feel ripped off. I may play it again someday but I don't feel I have to just to get my money's worth.

You are odd

So seriously, you really only refrequent movies and literature every so often? Wow...you must have a talent for always finding some new to catch your attention.

Jul 2, 2003, 17:20
Re: Max Payne Jul 2, 2003, 17:20
Jul 2, 2003, 17:20

WHAT?!? How can you justify paying cash for a game, only play it once and think "that was worth the cash!"?

It's like watching a movie, shouting about how great it was and when asked, "so you would see it again?" you'd answer "hell no!" It makes no sense!?!

I guess I don't make any sense either because one thing I've never understood is why do people BUY movies, unless of course, there is some collectable value to it. I will watch a movie and enjoy it a great deal but feel no inclination to watch it again until years later! Is that strange :|? I'm the same with literature. I may reread a book or short story but not until many years have passed.

I only played Max Payne once but I didn't feel ripped off. I may play it again someday but I don't feel I have to just to get my money's worth.

Max Payne 2 Coverage at Deep Six
Jul 1, 2003, 22:47
Max Payne 2 Coverage at Deep Six Jul 1, 2003, 22:47
Jul 1, 2003, 22:47

Couldn't help the endless complaining about the pop ups/spyware at MPHQ. I have suffered it too, even got spyware installed on my PC after having visited them.

Look I don't mean to bash that site but I strongly recommend you to check out Deep Six at www.planetmaxpayne.com We have got some newer graphic novel shots that haven't been posted on MPHQ yet plus a HUGE news and content collection concerning Max Payne 2: FAQ, very regular news updates (we did 6 different posts for tuesday alone), an assortment of the 20+ screens released so far, developer comments, coverage on the mags featuring the previews, practically everything you want to know about MP2. And best of all? We are part of the GameSpy Network so NO ANNOYING POP UP'S OR SPYWARE HERE! Rock on guys!

http://www.planetmaxpayne.com

aavenr, Deep Six Staff

Jun 30, 2003, 21:56
Re: Max Payne Jun 30, 2003, 21:56
Jun 30, 2003, 21:56

I admit that some games you don't replay a lot, but normally they are games that (IMHO) are epic and take something out of you when you play ala System Shock 2, or Baldurs Gate 2. But Max Payne was nowhere near epic.

yep thats true, but I played Max Payne for simple plain vanilla fun. I only played it through once, but I had tons o fun with the superb Matrix mod afterwards.

Re: Lookalikes
Jun 30, 2003, 18:13
hkm
Re: Lookalikes Jun 30, 2003, 18:13
Jun 30, 2003, 18:13
hkm

http://theposse.maxpayneheadquarters.com/mp2screens/mp2_15.jpg

Jeremy Irons? It looks more like Pierce "Bond" Brosnan.

Jun 30, 2003, 13:27
Re: Max Payne Jun 30, 2003, 13:27
Jun 30, 2003, 13:27

Replayability and multiplayer is really a non-issue for this type of game so I don't count the lack of those things against it.

WHAT?!? How can you justify paying cash for a game, only play it once and think "that was worth the cash!"?

It's like watching a movie, shouting about how great it was and when asked, "so you would see it again?" you'd answer "hell no!" It makes no sense!?!

I admit that some games you don't replay a lot, but normally they are games that (IMHO) are epic and take something out of you when you play ala System Shock 2, or Baldurs Gate 2. But Max Payne was nowhere near epic.

Just realised I might be flaming you. Ironic considering my first post.

No subject
Jun 30, 2003, 10:07
No subject Jun 30, 2003, 10:07
Jun 30, 2003, 10:07

Spybot-Search and Destroy, Spyware Blaster and Adaware. Sounds like a lot but it really isn't. I originally thought Adaware was enough but Spybot picked up some stuff that Adaware didn't and Spyware sets up a denial list to prevent unsolicited installs. They all compliment each other and they're all free. Zonealarm or Tiny Personal Firewall are also free.

Re: Ho-hum
Jun 30, 2003, 04:52
Re: Ho-hum Jun 30, 2003, 04:52
Jun 30, 2003, 04:52

"My Ignorance" has nothing to do with it. The application (some atomic clock syncing program, which is already built into Windows XP) installed itself without prompting me.

actually.. it has everything to do with your ignorance..
there is millions of sites availble on-line that will tell you and give you everything you need to prevent unwanted programs getting installed onto your computer. Not to mention, you're completely ignoring the fact that, people constantly give advice on how to prevent spywares from being installed right in Blue's comment sections.

Try Opera and a good firewall, and you'll be free. I use Opera and Norton Personal Firewall and I get no pop-ups, ads, or silent installs.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=spybot+search+and+destroy
This comment was edited on Jun 30, 04:55.

Max Payne
Jun 29, 2003, 23:33
Max Payne Jun 29, 2003, 23:33
Jun 29, 2003, 23:33

Max Payne wins big points for originality. I enjoyed it very much. It had a good story and lots of interesting cutscenes that made you want to keep playing until the bitter end. Sure it can get reptitive at times but the lively story and cutscenes kept things interesting.

The game had lots of humor and personality, which are rare things in an FPS. In that sense, the game reminded me of Duke Nukem 3D. I thought Half-Life was good but could have been a lot better if Gordon Freeman didn't have the personality of a rock.

Replayability and multiplayer is really a non-issue for this type of game so I don't count the lack of those things against it.

Re: Blah
Jun 29, 2003, 18:24
Re: Blah Jun 29, 2003, 18:24
Jun 29, 2003, 18:24

In comes my favourite insult: if you flame, you must be a kid

"The" Dan
Supporter of the "A happy fredster is an unmuted fredster" fanclub.
This comment was edited on Jun 29, 18:24.
ExcessDan

Jun 29, 2003, 17:19
Re: Blah Jun 29, 2003, 17:19
Jun 29, 2003, 17:19

I can certainly see the irony in you insulting me for having a Star Wars handle and an affinity for comic books when you (just as I am) are posting to a discussion thread of a videogame website on a beautiful Sunday afternoon.

Oh, the children of Blues Discussion boards.... I had almost forgotten why I stopped posting here. Not one thread ends up discussing games.

Jun 29, 2003, 14:35
Re: Ho-hum Jun 29, 2003, 14:35

I'm using IE with DMZ on and I never had any spyware installed on my computer when going to that site. Face it, it is YOUR fault.

The only spyware from the site was gator asking me if I'd like to install.. you probably have the always trust from gator box checked off so the prompt never even came up for you.

"The" Dan
Supporter of the "A happy fredster is an unmuted fredster" fanclub.
ExcessDan

Re: Blah Jun 29, 2003, 14:35

I can certainly see the irony in you insulting me for having a Star Wars handle and an affinity for comic books when you (just as I am) are posting to a discussion thread of a videogame website on a beautiful Sunday afternoon.

Jun 29, 2003, 14:28
nin
Re: Ho-hum Jun 29, 2003, 14:28
Jun 29, 2003, 14:28
nin

"My Ignorance" has nothing to do with it. The application (some atomic clock syncing program, which is already built into Windows XP) installed itself without prompting me.

Try Opera and a good firewall, and you'll be free. I use Opera and Norton Personal Firewall and I get no pop-ups, ads, or silent installs.

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

http://www.originaltrilogy.com/
This comment was edited on Jun 29, 14:29.

Jun 29, 2003, 14:18
Re: Blah Jun 29, 2003, 14:18
Jun 29, 2003, 14:18

Does anyone see this irony?

Max Payne is your idea of GOOD writing? What kind of books do you people read? ..... snip .....

Holy Christ, people! If that's clever to you ...

Signed, Drewbacca

Yes, please, good sir, show us your tremendous knowledge of literature. Which comic books should we read? I'm glad you are the sole single voice of good taste in the world. Maybe you can growl at us too? Or perchance hit us with a Star Wars quote we've probably never heard of?

I thought the story in Max Payne was pretty good, it had a few nice twists in it, and overal the entire background and the way it was interwoven into the game was pretty clever. That doesn't mean I didn't wince at some of those lines, but then again, that was the entire idea behind the game. Or did you look at the Captain BaseballBatBoy comics and thought "Man, that sure is a bad comic..."

*rolls eyes*

Creston

Jun 29, 2003, 12:37
Re: Blah Jun 29, 2003, 12:37
Jun 29, 2003, 12:37

named as such for the sole purpose of having Max deliver a lame line like "You're finito, Finitos".

Now I get it!!! BWAHAHAHAHAH!!!

Jun 29, 2003, 11:36
Re: Ho-hum Jun 29, 2003, 11:36
Jun 29, 2003, 11:36

Blah
Jun 29, 2003, 11:26
Blah Jun 29, 2003, 11:26
Jun 29, 2003, 11:26

Max Payne is your idea of GOOD writing? What kind of books do you people read? There are plenty of well-written comic books out there, and Max Payne would have been just as laughable in print.

Am I the only person who remembered "The Finito Brothers" in the game -- named as such for the sole purpose of having Max deliver a lame line like "You're finito, Finitos".

Holy Christ, people! If that's clever to you ...

Lookalikes
Jun 29, 2003, 11:23
Lookalikes Jun 29, 2003, 11:23
Jun 29, 2003, 11:23

Hmmm... am I the only one here to find the new "Max look" a bit odd? And additionally he has striking similarities with british celebrities... in the ingame shots he looks a lot like Tony Blair (just look at the ears ;)):

http://theposse.maxpayneheadquarters.com/mp2screens/mp2_01.jpg
http://www.american-partisan.com/images/politicians/blair(reu).jpg

And in the artsy painting he looks *exactly* like Jeremy Irons:

http://theposse.maxpayneheadquarters.com/mp2screens/mp2_15.jpg
http://www.kino.orc.ru/js/portret/photo/irons.jpg

Remedy are from Finland, the game plays in NYC, so why all the Brits?

Jun 29, 2003, 10:19
Re: Ho-hum Jun 29, 2003, 10:19
Jun 29, 2003, 10:19

Am I the only one who wasn't impressed with Max Payne?

Hell no. I had to force myself to make it 1/3rd of the way through when I finally couldn't take it anymore. Boring, boring, boring. Bullett time was fun for exactly 10 minutes and the storyline is a derivation of every single cheesy cop movie ever made.

The leather coat looked nice though...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
PAH!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad
51 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older