Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars Galaxies Previews

As noted on the Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided Website, the NDA for Star Wars Galaxies beta testers has been lifted. This leaves the prospect of seeing as many previews going forward as there were beta testers on the upcoming MMORPG. Kicking things off, Star Wars Galaxies Warcry has posted screenshots and forum links to some of the action this is generating, and there's a Galaxies Preview on ActionTrip.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: BAH! Jun 21, 2003, 04:19 Merc248

i really hated this game when i beta tested. well, the only real MMORPG i liked was asherons call since it was pretty much unique compared to the other MMORPGs released up to this point, but other than that, i dont like MMORPGs at all. they are all nearly the same thing - but it seems like SWG is a manifestation of all of the same mediocracy combined.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: BAH! Jun 20, 2003, 20:00 Alciril

I've played UO, EQ, and DAOC in the past. They've all had their moments, but I was really hoping that SWG would be leaps and bounds better than all of them. It is in some ways and isn't in others.

Imagine my surprise when I was chosen for beta 2! I eagerly read the forums and the newbie guides in the days before my CDs arrived. When they did, I opened up the package, installed both discs, and jumped right into the game. What can I say? I was disappointed. There was no player economy, only one planet, and a number of show-stopping bugs. I almost stopped playing after my first in-game experience, but I didn't turn my back on SWG completely.

Flash forward to a few months later. I can honestly say that I'm impressed by how much work the SWG devs have put into the game. By no means is it complete, but seeing the difference between this game and the game I played 4 months ago is mind boggling. I know that it's crunch time for them and that they can't continue developing at this pace forever, but if they show even half of this amount of devotion during release, I see a really good game in SWG's future.

Ray, you seem to be pretty open-minded about SWG. I have to be honest here: you probably won't have a blast the first time you play. The learning curve is admittedly pretty steep, the controls aren't too intuitive (be sure to go into the options and choose the FPS keymap), and it's hard to decide what exactly you should do to start off. If you stick with it, though, you'll find that the game is blissfully open-ended. Open-endedness isn't for everyone (some people loved Morrowind and others hated it), but I'm sure you'll be able to find something you love doing (heck, you can dance and sing for a living or mix drinks for money :)). Most importantly, though, be sure to socialize with people and get to know them by visiting cantinas, hospitals, theaters, etc. In fact, the cantinas in-game are like Cheers -- if you visit them enough, everyone knows you by name.

I think most people stop playing MMORPGs because they never find a really great bunch of people to stick with. It's a completely different experience when you're playing by yourself and when you find some people that you look forward to playing with. It's hard to explain, but it really makes a world of difference. I realized that when I played UO. At first, I played it in a "me vs. the world" mindset. I hated it. I even quit for about 3-4 months. When I gave the game a second chance, though, I just happened to run into a group of folks at a tavern. A few drinks and some checker games later, we exchanged contact information and planned in-game hunting trips together. A month or so later we pooled our money together, bought a tower, and shared the various rooms among ourselves. It was fun.

Now, is SWG perfect? No, no, no. Far from it. It's being released much sooner than it should be. A lot of work still needs to be done, but so far it's pretty promising. The deciding factors for me have been the positive attitudes of the devs and the rate at which they've been pushing out updates. And that's more than I can say about most MMORPGs.

16. BAH! Jun 20, 2003, 17:38 Ray Marden

I have avoided MMOGs in general and will finally give them a go with SWG. The fact that is comes as a CE as well?

Swooning as I think about that last part :o,
Ray

-----------------------------------------
09-30-03: Ph33r t3h crowbar!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
Playing: Enclave, Neverwinter Nights, and Will Rock. Where are all the good games?

Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

15. Re: SWG Beta Jun 20, 2003, 16:50 Hunt_Yu

I signed up for the beta. I was very interested. Ive played them all in this genre EverQuest, AC, AO, DAoC all of them to high level characters. Btw yes I know the above proves I have no real life but back to the issue of this game =P. Imo

The good: They have tried to make crafting a vital part of the game. Manufacturing and hunting supply commodities that the crafters create into wares to sell. They really have tried to create a feeling of real economy in the game. You can argue the flaws but the devs really want a feeling of a true economy.

The bad: As with all these games at release it is not really ready. Its not broken like AO was at launch but Dark Age was much more polished,bug free and stable at its launch then Galaxies is/will be.( I took part in both AO and DAoC betas). As with Dark Age most of the class balancing and PvP balancing is yet to be addressed. SWG has less "content" than any of the games I've played/ beta tested. You can do delivery missions and search and destroy missions and thats about all I've found to date. I disliked some of the "quests" in DAoC now I kinda miss them ;).

Bottom Line: If it didnt have the "Star Wars" name it would be just another MMORPG. Nothing terrible but nothing really special either.

14. Re: Morons Jun 20, 2003, 16:47 Hooley

Wow. After #12 I had a change of heart. I practically shed a tear over his William Wallace-esq speech. In fact, here it comes now: a tear.

I'm pre-ordering this puppy. #12 set my months of beta testing experience straight. Here I thought it was so unstable I can't even connect to the server half the time. Guess I was imagining that. And in imaginging it that way I must have become a homosexual.

Thanks for clearing things up for me.

13. Interesting Jun 20, 2003, 16:37 Da Stylin' Rastan

#12, thanks for bringing a level of intelligence and wisdom to these forums never seen before. Your eloquent phrasing has certainly caused us all to think long and hard about our own lives

-DSR

12. Morons Jun 20, 2003, 16:19 Delthefunkeehomosapien

All you guys are pretty much morons... LIke for any game that has hype, everyone who comes on this site has to bash the game.. Like it makes you fags feel good or something..

Im not too into this game either, but its not like its a pile of crap, its incredibly huge with 10 planets and such... And it will be the most stable mmorpg release ever..

Fuck you faggots who diss, your just fuckin dumb.

11. Re: SWG Beta Jun 20, 2003, 16:11 BubbleMage

Yeah, Enforcer, but even accepting your rationale, it still doesn't answer Dr.Del's question: Why did Wombat sign up for it in the first place? He freely admits: 1) Not a SW fan; 2) Doesn't like EQ-type games; 3) Isn't interested in MMORPG genre in general.

Hence, he signed up to beta test a game he knew he wasn't going to have any interest in whatsoever????!

*boggle*

//Logic disconnect.

//System resetting.

What'd you put on your application, Wombat? "I h4t3 j00r g4m3. ZiGn m3 uP!" ??? (Mind you, it wouldn't surprise me if Sony put such an application at the top of the list; it would fit well with the way they do everything else).

10. Re: SWG Beta Jun 20, 2003, 15:26 Enforcer

Probably the whole reason why a lot of other people sign up to try out the beta. This way you can see if this is a game you would pay for once it came out...kind of like a glorified Demo without paying the monthly fees.

I know myself that I save myself some bucks in not purchasing some games that I've beta tested. Now don't get me wrong I did help to debug it but after when it was near finish and the devs aren't going to change anything on it then you have to think do I get this or not?

9. Re: SWG Beta Jun 20, 2003, 14:33 Dr.Del

I got in, I played maybe a week, I got frustrated, I left. Hardly enough for a review that would be worth anything. It was enough to convince me that my money is better spent elsewhere. Not being a SW fanatic, and having little patience with EQ-style games, it just wasn't my cup of tea. Nor did I care for the Byzantine interface, immersion-jarring "EQ-isms," and horrendous bugs and instabilities (though these I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt about until a while after launch at least).

Of course, I currently play no MMORPGs, after having spent some time with EQ an DAOC and dabbling in UO over the years. I'm no longer interested in this sort of game model really. But SWG really didn't do it for me either.

then why did you sign up for the SWG beta in the first place?

- Dr.Del
"What if there were a cake that made you orgasm? Isnít that worth fighting for? Isnít that worth dying for?"

- DrDel

8. Re: YAY! No NDA! Jun 20, 2003, 12:56 Halsy

With a 10 foot pole you must not touch this game, hrm?

The highlight of the game? Going to Jabba's palace and seeing him, Boba Fett, etc. A whole 5 minutes of,
'Whoah! That's so sweet!'.
Everything after that is all downhill.

They vastly overextended themselves on this project. Sure they have a mess of planets, but they're all huge, open, empty spaces with really crappy instancing of spawned creatures.

The eye candy and music are really nice, but the thing runs like a bloated pig, and however nice they are, graphics and music alone do not a fun game make. The game is just a convoluted mess that won't even REALLY be shippable for at least 2 years, IMO.

Mythica and WoW are the MOGs to watch.

Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large.
http://www.mythicarealms.com

"And then, suddenly and without warning, it turned into a real-life case of hungry, hungry hippos."
- Stephen Colbert

7. YAY! No NDA! Jun 20, 2003, 11:14 WR417H

Um......I cant believe how let down I was on this game. It needs another 2 months of testing, so if you get it, prepared to do what we didnt have time for.

I thing this game is worth about $6 USD/month, and there's NO WAY IN HELL Im paying $15 for it!!!!

6. Re: Might I suggest... Jun 20, 2003, 10:52 Vincent Murphy

I was unable to play the beta for a long enough amount of time to form a strong opinion: the game was either down or I had to download massive patches (I know, it was a beta). When I did play, I found the interface to be a little confusing and not terribly user-friendly. Took me a while to figure out what the heck to do.

At one point, I was gunning down desert creatures right and left, but I really felt like I was just playing Everquest with a ray gun. I was never able to play long enough to get beyond that. And everytime I would group, the game/client would crash on me.

Still, given about 6-8 months, I suspect this might be a decent enough game. I think I like the more casual pace of Dark Age of Camelot, myself.

5. Re: Might I suggest... Jun 20, 2003, 10:49 Mr Gar

As cack as planetside?

4. Re: Might I suggest... Jun 20, 2003, 10:29 DrEvil

Thanks, but I'll pass judgement based on my own observations, not some faceless name on sonys forum.

Pure trash, this game is hmm.

edit: I should qualify my opinion/observations by adding that they are based on PLAYING the game, even overlooking the bugs right down to the overall shittyness of much of the design itself.

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 10:37.

3. Might I suggest... Jun 20, 2003, 10:17 The Half Elf

Taking a look at this post before passing judement on this game.
http://boards2.station.sony.com/ubb/starwars/Forum3/HTML/133275.html

Thanks

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.

2. Re: SWG Beta Jun 20, 2003, 10:08 DrEvil

To all the good bluesnews people... don't let the star wars theme cloud your judgement, because under the hood of this beast is a pile of dog shit. EQ was more fun in the state I left it in 2 years ago. Star Wars != guaranteed good. In this particular case it's trash. Just my opinion.

1. SWG Beta Jun 20, 2003, 09:59 Death Wombat

I got in, I played maybe a week, I got frustrated, I left. Hardly enough for a review that would be worth anything. It was enough to convince me that my money is better spent elsewhere. Not being a SW fanatic, and having little patience with EQ-style games, it just wasn't my cup of tea. Nor did I care for the Byzantine interface, immersion-jarring "EQ-isms," and horrendous bugs and instabilities (though these I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt about until a while after launch at least).

Of course, I currently play no MMORPGs, after having spent some time with EQ an DAOC and dabbling in UO over the years. I'm no longer interested in this sort of game model really. But SWG really didn't do it for me either.

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo