Elite Force II Gold

With the release date countdown on the Star Trek: Elite Force II Website down to less than two weeks, we were due for either a gold announcement, or word of a delay. It turns out its the former, as ToTheGame sends along a UK press release announcing that Ritual's The Next Generation sequel to the Voyager shooter is complete:
LONDON, UK – June 11, 2003 – Prepare to blast into the heart of galactic evil as Activision, Inc.’s (Nasdaq: ATVI) Star Trek® Elite Force II has gone gold and is headed to retail. Set in the Star Trek: The Next Generation® universe, players take command as head of the elite Hazard Team in this heart-pounding first person action game. Gamers will arm themselves with an impressive array of advanced weaponry as they hack, battle and vaporize a relentless onslaught of enemies including hordes of nightmarish creatures, new never-before-seen alien species and familiar franchise staples such as the Borg and Romulans. Developed by Ritual Entertainment, Star Trek Elite Force II and carries a 16+ PEGI rating and a suggested retail price of £39.99. The title is scheduled for release later this month.
View : : :
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: No subject
Jun 14, 2003, 03:34
Re: No subject Jun 14, 2003, 03:34
Jun 14, 2003, 03:34

Oh, you're just being to polite toward EF2's demo quality. It sucked. Really. I'm seriously disapointed about Ritual's lapse in quality that is exactly accustomed to them. Then again, the first couple of levels of EF1 weren't exactly blazing of glory either, so we'll have to see.

Re: No subject
Jun 13, 2003, 20:08
Gus
Re: No subject Jun 13, 2003, 20:08
Jun 13, 2003, 20:08
Gus

I agree, this will be good enuf to pass time while waiting for the heavyweights.
this will probly be the last game i play on this machine
MUST UPgrade afterwards

No subject
Jun 13, 2003, 08:04
No subject Jun 13, 2003, 08:04
Jun 13, 2003, 08:04

I think some of u are getting off topic....but heres my views anyways

I liked EF, the SP while short, still was quite entertaining, and considering its 3 years old, the graphics still hold up pretty well.....

I really loved the MP side of things, its what got me into online gaming tbh... The modes were fun, and CTF in EF is IMO one of the funnest game modes online to date...

EF2'S demo dissapointed me tho... i didnt think it was too good, but it wasnt too bad either, it has potential and im hoping that from the screenshots and stories ive heard about the game, that the SP and MP will be satisfying...

I will be buying the game on its release (a week today) and hope its better than it looks.... altho the MP video for it doesnt seem too special :/

my thoughts...

Re: Just for the record 2
Jun 12, 2003, 17:36
Re: Just for the record 2 Jun 12, 2003, 17:36
Jun 12, 2003, 17:36

You have a point, LordSteev #43, and I haven't played Heretic 2 yet.
Perhaps it's like that. Ritual tries to cram everything they want into a 20 month game, and Raven (which is a much larger company, btw - 100 ppl or so) takes a much more controlled look at a timetable, setting strict goals, producing a larger game and having enough time to iron out most of the bugs (I never had any trouble with the gameplay in Fakk2, but, like I said, I haven't played Heretic2 yet, so maybe I should :)).
Since I don't like long games per se (for example: I thought EF was long enough, perhaps a bit too long for my taste even), I guess I like Ritual's approach of having more artistic freedom in developing a game, and less QA and raw content (in terms of gameplay time). I rather like a couple of twisted, eerie levels of Fakk2 ("Join Us! Join Us!") than a heap of generic levels of JK2 (though the game does have some good parts as well).

_______________________ __ _

» http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net « Updated December 25th

» http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net « Updated April 17th 2009

Re: Well....
Jun 12, 2003, 15:22
Re: Well.... Jun 12, 2003, 15:22
Jun 12, 2003, 15:22

Hey TimothyB,
You make a good point. It was kind of bastardish of me to compare EF2 to HL2 and D3. What I was trying to get across was that EF2 is a fun diversion while you wait for those other big games.

On another topic,
It's true Doom3 doesn't seem like it will innovate very much. It looks as if Doom3 will have a very cinematic presentation with run and gun gameplay. Did I expect more from Id? No. I'm not sure how they do it but they always made mindless gameplay really fun for me. In fact I went back to play Quake 2 and it was still a good time even with the dated graphics and stupid A.I.. It is something about the levels, placement of enemies, artwork, and weapon balancing that makes me love Id's games. No other developer has the kind of control over run and gun gameplay that Id does. In the end, sometimes we all just want to kill alot of stuff and Id makes it happen.

HL2 and D3 are lookin good but don't expect them to be an Enter the Matrix, cause they aint......and thats a good thing.
There are times when I really hate the gaming industry.

Jun 12, 2003, 12:04
Re: Just for the record 2 Jun 12, 2003, 12:04
Jun 12, 2003, 12:04

WW3, of course it's all a matter of personal preference, but I found both Heretic 2 and Jedi Knight 2 Outcast to be far more than just average games. I liked both of them better than anything Ritual has done. But really, I like both companies. I thought Sin had some of the best deathmatch maps ever made, and I love their level designers. But the third person control in FAKK 2 really turned me off after having played the smooth as butter controls of Heretic 2. And Sin did not ship in a state I would call playable. Ritual is just as much a slave to the timetable as Raven. I think in the past their problem has been trying to cram too much in, then rushing to get it finished, leaving bugs galore. If you get published by Activision, and your name's not id, you're a slave to the timetable.
-LordSteev

Supporter of the "Unleash the Fredster!!" Fan Club

Jun 12, 2003, 11:58
Re: Just for the record 2 Jun 12, 2003, 11:58
Jun 12, 2003, 11:58

was the loosing of clothing a feature?

but it all comes down to "what have you done for me lately?"

havent been impressed by these 2 recently...

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.
Doin' it Big

Just for the record 2
Jun 12, 2003, 11:10
Just for the record 2 Jun 12, 2003, 11:10
Jun 12, 2003, 11:10

Agree with you Buzzfunk. You have a point about the amount of games LordSteev, but like Buzzfunk pointed out, they're all mediocore. Saying a developer sucks because of only producing mediocore games lately, is only "just plain fucking stupid" in the eyes of those who really don't see the difference between a game that's made with dedication and a game that's made to fit in a 20 month time-table and nothing more.
Creston, Sin *couple* of years older than JK2 and Sof2.
I think your remarks about Fakk2 don't need any replying to, still this one needs to be fielded:

lost more and more of her clothes for some reason, which ofcourse makes it the best game ever in the Levelord's mind.

Not a fan of the ladies, are you

» http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net « Updated December 25th

» http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net « Updated April 17th 2009

KAPLAH!
Jun 12, 2003, 09:46
KAPLAH! Jun 12, 2003, 09:46
Jun 12, 2003, 09:46

this should be fun...

Re: Just for the record
Jun 12, 2003, 03:31
Re: Just for the record Jun 12, 2003, 03:31
Jun 12, 2003, 03:31

but the fact that Sin still has a community going

Oh yes, and ofcourse nobody out there plays Jedi Knight 2, or Soldier of Fortune 2 anymore. Rolleyes

and that Fakk2 was simply a joy to play, had a good and light storyline

I think you are probably all alone in thinking that FAKK was a joy to play, and it indeed had a "light" storyline, if the term "light storyline" is now synonimous with "no storyline whatsoever".
But hey, you got to look at a poorly rendered rectangular version of Julie Strain who, as the "story" went on, lost more and more of her clothes for some reason, which ofcourse makes it the best game ever in the Levelord's mind.

I won't say Raven is the best FPS designer ever, although they come pretty close in my mind, but saying that fucking RITUAL is better has to be a joke, or else some people have totally lost their minds.
Creston

Edit : Jedi Academy 2 based on the Doom 3 engine in 2005...

Yes! Yes indeed!

Maybe we'll get to have some Anakin/OB1 MP action with the Doom 3 engine in a couple of years...

This comment was edited on Jun 12, 03:38.

Jun 12, 2003, 02:05
Re: Just for the record Jun 12, 2003, 02:05
Jun 12, 2003, 02:05

OOps, 2 mistakes. I forgot about Scourge of Armageddon, by Ritual, which was great, although it was just an expansion pack using predefined technology.

And I am in no position to judge the 3rd person camera on Splinter Cell, having not played it.

Still, saying Raven sucks is just plain fucking stupid.
-LordSteev

Supporter of the "Unleash the Fredster!!" Fan Club

Jun 12, 2003, 01:28
Re: Just for the record Jun 12, 2003, 01:28
Jun 12, 2003, 01:28

"The camera control and animation of the lead character are still head and shoulders above anything that's come out in the 5+ years since."

Oh, please! A fantastic game, yes. With amazing camera control and animation, sure.. but "head and shoulders" above, say, Splinter Cell? No.

Well ahead of its time, but let's not get carried away..

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

QMP1
Jun 12, 2003, 00:14
QMP1 Jun 12, 2003, 00:14
Jun 12, 2003, 00:14

Um... Ritual proved themselves right-of-the-bat with the greatest sp Quake gaming ever produced.

Re: Hmm.
Jun 11, 2003, 23:56
Re: Hmm. Jun 11, 2003, 23:56
Jun 11, 2003, 23:56

Azraelot,

Excluding a specific glitch, it really is just a matter of inventory. After you kill X many of the enemies, they will stop respawning and you can continue on with the demo/game.

Just wanting to play Will Rock :(,
Ray

-----------------------------------------
09-30-03: Ph33r t3h crowbar!
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
Playing: Enclave and Neverwinter Nights. Where are all the good games?
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Re: Ritual
Jun 11, 2003, 20:32
Re: Ritual Jun 11, 2003, 20:32
Jun 11, 2003, 20:32

Fuck you, you fucking shitfuck bitch!

...it was also memorable for the language.

http://www.matthewrorie.com
http://users.ign.com/collection/Azraelot

Jun 11, 2003, 20:25
Re: Ritual Jun 11, 2003, 20:25
Jun 11, 2003, 20:25

Hell, as far as textures and level geometry goes, Kingpin is still a great looking game.

http://www.kavkazcenter.com/eng

No subject
Jun 11, 2003, 20:23
No subject Jun 11, 2003, 20:23
Jun 11, 2003, 20:23

I wonder how many times the devs have to tell themselves they are making a good game to get through the work day.

Or maybe they dont care about making good games and are jsut in it for the paycheck like 90% of the devs out there.

http://www.kavkazcenter.com/eng

Jun 11, 2003, 19:47
Re: Ritual Jun 11, 2003, 19:47
Jun 11, 2003, 19:47

Im my opinion Raven make a good game but, whilst Ritual have this thing with bugs, they certainly make something that stands out.

I never played SIN, too addicted to Quake2 at the time and eventually gave Half-Life a shot. Now I can't buy SIN anywhere as nobody publishes it anymore.

Heavy Metal FAKK2 had awesome graphics, great level design and weapons system and was one of my fave games of the time. It was short, and that stupid boss eye monster in the circle could only be beaten by exploiting a bug. Can't get the bastard to run under XP Pro for love or money!

The last new game I bought was UT2003 and, it's not really my cup of tea. I was hoping for UT with improved graphics, I suppose. Nothing much new out that temps me, so I purchased Half Life, Op Force and Blueshift again. Outdated graphics, but still awesome games. So I don't think the engine is the be and end all of it.

It depends on talent used. KingPin used Quake2, looked great for it's time. I've not bothered with the demo for EF2, but I'll buy it based on liking what Ritual have done previously. Raven make solid games, but they've all needed patches for something.

Will wait and see, but I'm going to get this one.

Jun 11, 2003, 19:32
Re: Hmm. Jun 11, 2003, 19:32
Jun 11, 2003, 19:32

I kept shooting the little guys, but they kept on flying out of the walls. No matter how many I killed, more kept coming. Maybe I missed something, but when I was playing, there was no way to kill them permanently.

http://www.matthewrorie.com
http://users.ign.com/collection/Azraelot

Jun 11, 2003, 19:27
Re: Hmm. Jun 11, 2003, 19:27
Jun 11, 2003, 19:27

I don't see why you'd be at the jumping part in the bay with the exhaust flames while still being attacked? You finish those little guys off before doing that. Then after passing through the 3 jumps and a little further, some more come at you. Also, I read you can use the tricorder to find a weakness in a door in the docking bay, blast it open, and you find a panel to shut off the flames, and an extra item.

Those little guys surrounding you from every direction are fun to kill, especially with the shotgun. Let them get close enough and kaboom. The secondary fire lets you take out several from a distance.

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older