Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Chaser Preview

The Chaser Preview on Computer and Video Games (thanks Frans) offers a look at the upcoming shooter in the works at Cauldron. Along the way they offer fist-hand impressions of the graphical goodness offered by the CloakNT engine:

What this means to us gamers is that some of the pictures Chaser paints are damn sweet. Lighting is utterly convincing, down to the tell-tale shadows it casts. You can practically reach out and touch the different materials of the objects you encounter, from polished mirrors to rough concrete walls. Blood splatters walls and floors after fire-fights, and oil paintings adorn walls. Exquisite Japanese prints only reveal their full detail when you spend the time to examine them - from the grim slums of 2044 Earth, to the functional metallics of the orbital facilities, to the eerie sepia vistas of Mars, each location is imbued with impressive character and detail.

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: Maybe its just me... Jun 9, 2003, 09:17 Mr Gar

And the ground breaking game play, not to mention indestructible crates. It is just you.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Maybe its just me... Jun 8, 2003, 23:18 Cynic9

I like the Chaser demo, both the way the engine renders and the fururistic type of story.

2. Re: CloakNT wasted? Jun 8, 2003, 17:38 World war 3

Exactly, how can they say all this, after such a crappy demo?

Again, the only reliable preview is a negative preview. Think about it, if the previewer really thought the game was that good, then why wouldn't the developer just release it.

_______________________ __ _

http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net Updated December 25th

http://www.worldwar3.cjb.net Updated April 17th 2009

1. CloakNT wasted? Jun 8, 2003, 15:49 Da-Fly

I remember seeing the CloakNT engine demo ages ago, possibly even before the first screenies of Doom3 came out. It was incredible. Loads of bump-mapping and moving lights and shadows etc etc. Then the disappointment of the recent Chaser demo brought me back to reality. It seemed they'd decided to sweep under the rug all the nice effects possible with the engine and just push for a game that looked like it might run on DirectX 7. Like they decided to aim it at all the peeps with sub 500mhz machines. What a waste.

Admittedly, this C & VG preview makes out that the effects might be better utilised in the other levels of the game - which to me suggests it was just a crap level to put in as the demo.

Also, I don't really trust C&VG write-ups. All the fruity language makes this sound too much like PR.

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo