Beta Testing

A couple of bits on testing: "iGames Publishing, LLC, the groundbreaking publisher behind the highly anticipated, genre-busting title Savage: The Battle for Newerth™, has launched the next phase of beta testing for the first-ever real-time-strategy-shooter (RTSS). This next phase will open the beta test up to an additional 2000 players – an amount that will double shortly thereafter at the third beta testing stage. Gamers can apply to take part in the beta test at the following URL: beta.s2games.com." Also: "Killer Bee Software entered its Beta testing phase for its game title "The Perfect General Internet Edition". This closed beta period is planned for approximately two months."
View : : :
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Allegiance, anyone?
Jun 6, 2003, 11:48
Re: Allegiance, anyone? Jun 6, 2003, 11:48
Jun 6, 2003, 11:48

No, Savage isn't pay per month. You can sign up at http://beta.s2games.com/

Jon
(Programmer, S2 Games)

Re: Allegiance, anyone?
Jun 6, 2003, 08:23
Re: Allegiance, anyone? Jun 6, 2003, 08:23
Jun 6, 2003, 08:23

I played Allegiance for a little while. I did like it but I think MicroSpank designed it a bit wrong. After playing it for a bit it became "Lets see who can get a Capitol Ship first" and it became QUITE boring. It was very aggrevating to never get fighter upgrades and the likes. What they should have done was made it so you couldn't get the big ships till you advanced along in technology first, i.e. research better weapons and missiles etc. But for a while I must admit it was dam fun. I was hoping that EVE was going to be like Allegiance but only better (boy was I way wrong).

I also play Natural Selection a lot and like it. I would imagine that I'd like Savage also, what is the web address for beta? Also, is it a Pay per month game?

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 08:24.

Allegiance, anyone?
Jun 6, 2003, 06:37
Allegiance, anyone? Jun 6, 2003, 06:37
Jun 6, 2003, 06:37

I know we are talking FPS, here, but I can't help but wax nostalgic about Allegiance (by Microsoft Research). I dunno if any of you ever played it (it never took off quite as well as I hoped it would), but that is probably the most fun I have had playing a game in my life. RTS + Space Combat = fun.

Re: ATTN ALL: We are not stupid
Jun 6, 2003, 03:46
Re: ATTN ALL: We are not stupid Jun 6, 2003, 03:46
Jun 6, 2003, 03:46

Cool Shadow, be sure to sign up for the beta so you can hopefully join in when we add those 2000 testers!

Jon
(Programmer, S2 Games)

Jun 6, 2003, 01:59
Re: ATTN ALL: We are not stupid Jun 6, 2003, 01:59
Jun 6, 2003, 01:59

Yeah I noticed those 4 "1st posts" in a row too, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I've been interested in the game since I heard about it a few months ago. Whether it's the first or not doesn't matter to me. Looks like they're the first to do it well and I'm anxious to get my hands on it.

Jun 6, 2003, 00:16
Re: ATTN ALL: We are not stupid Jun 6, 2003, 00:16
Jun 6, 2003, 00:16

You can call Battlezone the first RTS/FPS, you could call Natural selection the first, you would all be right. Those are really just different approaches to the blending of action reflex gaming with RTS base and unit building. Natural Selection's and Battlezone's buildings are usually more simple then normal RTS games however. The first game though that can really be said to combine the 2 genres however, is Magic Carpet.

That being said, I believe Good Vs. Bad 2 is better then all of them. Unlike Natural Selection and Battlezone it has more then the full palette of building types to build (more variety then say starcraft), BUT all the fighting and even building is controlled from a first person/3rd over the shoulder view and is completely human controlled. There is no AI control or "dice rolling" battles.

Jun 5, 2003, 21:16
Re: ATTN ALL: We are not stupid Jun 5, 2003, 21:16
Jun 5, 2003, 21:16

Do you have a problem with us liking the game? Tell ya what. Head on over to QuakeNet and join #savagegame. I'm sure you'll see that all of us are quite capable of speaking for ourselves. Our INDIVIDUAL selves.

Jun 5, 2003, 21:06
Re: ATTN ALL: We are not stupid Jun 5, 2003, 21:06
Jun 5, 2003, 21:06

Jeff, you didn't stumble on any conspiracy. Someone posted the url on the irc channel where the Savage beta testers hang out, and a few people posted at the same time.

Jon
(S2 Games programmer)

ATTN ALL: We are not stupid
Jun 5, 2003, 19:52
ATTN ALL: We are not stupid Jun 5, 2003, 19:52
Jun 5, 2003, 19:52

Are you kidding me? Four posts in a row, a grand total of 15 minutes from first post to last, each from a "different user" with a total of 1 post ever on Blue's?

To what degree do you think we are high, sir/madam, that you think we'd fall for this?

Holy crap... this is more blatant than that whole bikini-karate-babes fiasco.

Jeff

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Computer over?
Virus = very yes?
That's not a good prize!

I've been beta testing it as well
Jun 5, 2003, 18:20
Tom
I've been beta testing it as well Jun 5, 2003, 18:20
Jun 5, 2003, 18:20
Tom

And it's very, very cool. I'm ony of the guys that likes to "suggest" where FPS people go... which has good and bad points. Sometimes I'll see an opening that our team can get through, that they couldn't see because of their perspective. A couple clicks, and they're on their way. Other times I can just focus on the metagame, building defensense and increasing the scope of influnce.

Overall, it's a thrill knowing that you, and your teammates, brought victory. Having a commander really enhances the teamwork to an unbelievable level.

And don't forget that commanders can promote officers, who in turn can give orders to nearby players to help fascilitate the overall game-plan. That alone sets this game apart from any others that I've played, freeing the commander from micromanaging attacks.

Savage is one hell of a combination
Jun 5, 2003, 18:13
Savage is one hell of a combination Jun 5, 2003, 18:13
Jun 5, 2003, 18:13

I have never been interested in RTS games much, I just don't have the patience I guess...
Therefor I was a bit sceptic signing up for Savage beta and starting it up the first time.

Well, graphics looked nice, especially for such a first phase beta (comes in my top 3 of beta graphics), but it weren't the nice images on my monitor that impressed me..

What impressed me the most is the combination between RTS and FPS. Every team has it's commander that apart from providing weapons to his team also has the oversight of teh game. The commander builds defenses, kicks the worker NPC's to work and is able to suggest to you where to go, what to attack etc. I use the word suggest, because you do not have to obey the commander. I guess this is the part that requires faith in your commander.

I have played some damn nice games in which a commander gave the edge to winning an almost lost game. if you obey orders well and stay alive because your comrades help you out you may be rewarded as an officer. that will give all around you a boost in regaining health. Apart from that he can grant you powerups to stay alive or to do more damage.

mmmmh...
I am overdoing the commander part a bit, makes me sound like I like being bossed around, on the contrary though. I love the melee action Savage brings me, the long distance sniping and the massive explosions that will crumble building or kill whoever gets in my way. It's the best FPS action I have known since UT!

I usually prefer beer, but this is one hell of a cocktail just waiting to kick in

This comment was edited on Jun 6, 04:10.

Been testing since Feb
Jun 5, 2003, 18:05
Jim
Been testing since Feb Jun 5, 2003, 18:05
Jim

And still loving it.

And the devs actually listen to you!

Mmm, Savage.
Mmm, Savage. Jun 5, 2003, 18:05

I don't want to break any NDAs here, but Savage isn't at all like Renegade or Natural Selection. I can't speak for games I haven't played (BZ), but I can say that Savage is far different from anything I've ever experienced.

It combines the two genres seamlessly, without taking away too much from the RTS, adding too much to the FPS, and while keeping the most entertaining staples of both genres. Even in what some would call "crude beta form," it's undoubtably one of the most entertaining games I've played to date, and if it continues on it's steep trend of improvement, it'll be a game I play for many years to come. A place on my hard-drive which, so far, only Half-Life has been able to hold.

Don't underestimate this game. It may get lost under the giants that are Half-Life 2 and Doom III, but if people get to see just how fun it is, it'll be able to stand side-by-side with such monsters. Don't doubt S2's ability; Remember, back in 1998, Valve Software, an unheard of group of guys who had only mod credits to their name released what was quite possibly the very peak of gaming excellence at the time, and still stands high above most others. They broke through the pack of experienced designers, and triumphed with a game far superior to the cookie-cutter titles and Quake clones of the day.

Keep an eye on this one, guys.

C&C:R?
Jun 5, 2003, 14:32
C&C:R? Jun 5, 2003, 14:32
Jun 5, 2003, 14:32

Apart from Battlezone, wouldn't C&C: Renegades also qualify? Yeah, it was part FPS, but there was resource control there. I'd say it was a RTSS.

Re: uhmm...
Jun 5, 2003, 14:31
nin
Re: uhmm... Jun 5, 2003, 14:31
Jun 5, 2003, 14:31
nin

Never played BZ2, but the first one rocked...

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

http://www.originaltrilogy.com/

uhmm...
Jun 5, 2003, 14:17
uhmm... Jun 5, 2003, 14:17
Jun 5, 2003, 14:17

I can't be the ONLY person who has ever played the PC's
Battlezone series.

RTSS if I've ever heard of one.

-Hyatus
"da da da"

Re: Genre-busting my ass!
Jun 5, 2003, 11:16
Re: Genre-busting my ass! Jun 5, 2003, 11:16
Jun 5, 2003, 11:16

Natural Selection is technically not a retail product, so one could argue that Savage is indeed the first.

--Infantryman
Proud to be part of the ACASM.

"Is it so hard to teach a child not to shoot people?"
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

Genre-busting my ass!
Jun 5, 2003, 10:22
Genre-busting my ass! Jun 5, 2003, 10:22
Jun 5, 2003, 10:22

"genre-busting title Savage" ever heard of Natural Selection then?

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older