Metallica Game Announced

Following the initial indications that such a project is in the works (story), Vivendi Universal Games Signs Exclusive Worldwide Development Agreement With Legendary Rock Band Metallica is the press release with more details, along with the official announcement, of plans for a game involving the heavy metal band (thanks Frans). Here's the deal:
Vivendi Universal Games (VU Games) today announced that it has signed an exclusive multi-year agreement with renowned rock band Metallica. The contract grants VU Games the worldwide rights to publish and distribute a multi-platform vehicle combat action game featuring music, voice-overs and inspiration from the band. Scheduled for release in 2005, the game will be produced in collaboration with Segnana, Inc. ( www.segnana.com ), a company that partners with Metallica on interactive and online endeavors.

The new title -- a high action, third person vehicle combat game packed with fully customized vehicles and weaponry, endless terrain and desperate, murderous opponents -- will include voice-overs from band members, incidental background music and other exclusive content from Metallica. Under terms of the contract, Metallica will also record an original song exclusively for the game along with a music video featuring elements from the interactive experience. A sneak-peek trailer of the title will appear on Metallica's new album, St. Anger, which hits store shelves on June 5, 2003, and will also be featured during the band's "Summer Sanitarium Tour" kicking-off July 4th in Detroit, Michigan.
View : : :
106 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older

Re: album review...
Aug 20, 2003, 17:02
Re: album review... Aug 20, 2003, 17:02
Aug 20, 2003, 17:02

hello?

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o
:oX|X|X|:oX|:oX|:oX|X|X|:o:oX|X|:o:o:oX|:o:oX|:o:oX|:o
:o:oX|:o:oX|:oX|:oX|:o:o:o:oX|:oX|:oX|:oX|:oX|X|:oX|:o
:o:oX|:o:oX|X|X|:oX|X|:o:o:oX|:oX|:oX|X|X|:oX|:oX|X|:o
:o:oX|:o:oX|:oX|:oX|:o:o:o:oX|:oX|:oX|:oX|:oX|:o:oX|:o
:o:oX|:o:oX|:oX|:oX|X|X|:o:oX|X|:o:oX|:oX|:oX|:o:oX|:o
:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o
:|:(:|:(:|:(:|:(:|:(:|:(:|:(:|:(
:(waaaah ads boo fucking hoo
:|:(:|:(:|:(:|:(:|:(:|:(:|:(:|:(
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
:(:o:o:(:(:(:o:(:(:(:o:(:(:(:(:o:(:o:(:(:o:(:(:(:o:(:(
:(:o:(:o:(:o:(:o:(:o:(:o:(:(:(:o:(:o:(:o:(:o:(:o:(:o:(
:(:o:o:(:(:o:(:o:(:o:(:o:(:(:(:o:o:o:(:o:(:o:(:o:(:o:(
:(:o:(:o:(:o:(:o:(:o:(:o:(:(:(:o:(:o:(:o:(:o:(:o:(:o:(
:(:o:o:(:(:(:o:(:(:(:o:(:(:(:(:o:(:o:(:(:o:(:(:(:o:(:(
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
This comment was edited on Aug 20, 17:05.
ExcessDan

Jun 11, 2003, 03:51
Re: album review... Jun 11, 2003, 03:51
Jun 11, 2003, 03:51

I like the new Metallica.

I like the old Metallica.

I like System of a Down.

I like the first Disturbed album better than the second one.

I'd fuck Brittney Spears, but I don't like her music.

I wouldn't fuck Lincoln Park, and I still don't like their music.

The End.
-LordSteev

Supporter of the "Unleash the Fredster!!" Fan Club

Jun 11, 2003, 03:13
Re: album review... Jun 11, 2003, 03:13
Jun 11, 2003, 03:13

don't forget the extra work and touring they did with the symphony between reload and st. anger

"The" Dan
Supporter of the "A happy fredster is an unmuted fredster" fanclub.
ExcessDan

Jun 10, 2003, 21:56
Re: album review... Jun 10, 2003, 21:56
Jun 10, 2003, 21:56

Load came out seven years ago (let's be honest, Reload was just Load's table scraps) and that was five years after the Black Album

Not wanting to sound like a horrible fan boy or anything, but certain things did attribute to that. a 2.5 - 3 year world tour after black album came out, then a quest for perfection in the remaining 2 years was the reason load was so long after black album.

But yeah, St anger being so long after reload isnt good, i mean, losing a bass player doesnt set any band back 5 years

No subject
Jun 10, 2003, 13:27
No subject Jun 10, 2003, 13:27
Jun 10, 2003, 13:27

okokok....i admit it...i didnt have anything conventional to say, i just wanted the 101 post;P
Visit my site! http://www.utilization.co.uk, new hardware site, register in our forums and feel free to explore!

wowowowooooooo
Jun 10, 2003, 13:26
wowowowooooooo Jun 10, 2003, 13:26
Jun 10, 2003, 13:26

metallica kick ass!!!!!, yea there new music is a little on the S**t side, and i cant really imagine them in a game...ARGH
Visit my site! http://www.utilization.co.uk, new hardware site, register in our forums and feel free to explore!

Jun 10, 2003, 04:14
Re: album review... Jun 10, 2003, 04:14
Jun 10, 2003, 04:14

DOWN with metallica.

UP with Drum N Bass

[and a little jungle]

DRUM N BASS. THE FINAL FRONTIER

Jun 9, 2003, 10:33
Re: album review... Jun 9, 2003, 10:33
Jun 9, 2003, 10:33

On the one hand, "exploring" wouldn't be such a bad thing if the original studio releases were more frequent. Load came out seven years ago (let's be honest, Reload was just Load's table scraps) and that was five years after the Black Album. We all know that it'll be like five more years until the next Metallica release, so the ones who don't like St. Anger should go ahead and leave now.

On the other hand, more frequent releases is sometimes seen as "hosing" the fans, something Metallica is guilty of with their "just before Christmas" releases (Reload, Garage, Inc., S&M).

Bottom line - St. Anger is a solid album for what it is and what it aims to be. It's not for everyone, that's for sure. Maybe it's best if lots of hangers on leave the fanbase of the group. The ones left are the ones they want anyway.

Jun 9, 2003, 09:32
Re: album review... Jun 9, 2003, 09:32
Jun 9, 2003, 09:32

Metallica's older stuff was great, but the seem to have lost their edge

I wouldnt call musical exploration as losing their edge. Yeah, it may have been shit (load/reload), but at least they werent scared to explore. Then again, we cant really complain, considering that we'd all prolly sound like s*** if we tried to sing when we hit 40

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 09:35.

Re: Make way for the new speed demons
Jun 9, 2003, 04:29
Re: Make way for the new speed demons Jun 9, 2003, 04:29
Jun 9, 2003, 04:29

Swift, Slayer doesn't have the awesome vocals as SOAD does. I didn't really like early Slayer. I own Diabolus in Musica though and really like it.

"The" Dan
ExcessDan

Jun 9, 2003, 04:01
tmn
Re: album review... Jun 9, 2003, 04:01
Jun 9, 2003, 04:01
tmn

"And lars? WTF is with the trash can lids for snare drums dude?"

I thought the exact same thing when I listened to the album - "what are those, fucking garbage cans?" It really ruined the entire album for me.

One of my favorite recent songs is "Implements of Destruction", by Chimaira. The style of the song is obviously influenced by Metallica, yet it sounds far superior to anything on St. Anger. It sounds like what St. Anger should have been. Metallica's older stuff was great, but the seem to have lost their edge. As far as I'm concerned, St. Anger can't compete with some of the newer metal bands such as Chimaira, Lamb of God, Shadows Fall, and Killswitch Engage.

This comment was edited on Jun 9, 04:10.

Jun 9, 2003, 03:55
Re: Make way for the new speed demons Jun 9, 2003, 03:55
Jun 9, 2003, 03:55

In reply to 86:

Slayer are still kicking around, and have barely changed the way they have played since they began back in the 80s, and virtually all of their music is more thrash than SOAD

Jun 8, 2003, 23:39
Re: album review... Jun 8, 2003, 23:39
Jun 8, 2003, 23:39

I like the new sound in theory, but I am finding in practice that, although the lyrics are smart, the tunes don't seem to have a hook anywhere for the most part ("Frantic" seems to be an exception). Will keep listening, this could be one of those 'deep' albums where the whole thing just grows. Also, good luck to Lars playing drums on this thing live. I mean, he has to half-ass the thrash stuff usually towards the end as it is...

No subject
Jun 8, 2003, 21:52
No subject Jun 8, 2003, 21:52
Jun 8, 2003, 21:52

Country music is the only real art form of american music, you terrorists...

/me wraps a turban around his head and walks off with a ticking bag.

"I'm too much of a narcisist to really hate stupid people."

Jun 8, 2003, 15:19
Re: album review... Jun 8, 2003, 15:19
Jun 8, 2003, 15:19

I agree. SOAD kicks ass.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

album review...
Jun 8, 2003, 12:46
album review... Jun 8, 2003, 12:46
Jun 8, 2003, 12:46

slightly offtopic, but I figured I'd give a negative review of the cd

I have every metallica cd from kill 'em all to S&M, and I love 'em all. Except St. Anger.

I definitely downloaded St. Anger, just to spite Metallica (Napster bad? k, I'll just IRC xdcc it then).

Generally, I do not like the album at all. It sounds like Linkin Park, or whoever else wails on their guitar, then sings softly, then wails again, then changes tempo, and then ends. Fuckt hat. If i want to hear guitars, I want a constant beat, thrashing metal goodness, a sweet solo, and then the end. AC/DC does this. This is why AC/DC still kicks your ass.

And lars? WTF is with the trash can lids for snare drums dude? *bassCLANGbassCLANGCLANGbassCLANG* *silence* *bassCLANGCLANGCLANGbass* sigh...

Tempo changes bother me. So does screaming. Stop screaming, James, your voice sucks enough already.

*goes back to listening to MAster of Puppets*

Josh

Re: Fashionable bashing
Jun 8, 2003, 11:18
Re: Fashionable bashing Jun 8, 2003, 11:18
Jun 8, 2003, 11:18

OT: BTW, where I'm at I never hear Tool.

Same here. Tool is never played on radio.

St Anger: havent heard the whole album, but I gotta say the title track was a nice suprise(I had low or no expectations) its really really angry and i like that. Somehow you sort of want to get pissed and just destroy everything when you hear it. Its so angry, so good.. oh yeah.

all this crap about selling out etc.. bah! if metallica makes good music, I will listen to metallica, if metallica makes bad music, I will listen to something else.

Just give the new album a listen , I know I will. and then I will see Metallica at http://www.Roskilde-festival.dk and have a good time. see you there..

edit: link

This comment was edited on Jun 8, 11:19.

Re: Fashionable bashing
Jun 8, 2003, 08:26
Re: Fashionable bashing Jun 8, 2003, 08:26
Jun 8, 2003, 08:26

This was an interesting quote from SirAnthony. The thing is, I believe I read somewhere that The Offspring were out doing their thing for ten (10!) years before they finally made it big. Certainly that has to count for something. And Metallica is well known for musical exploration--in fact, that's why many people who like their earlier stuff don't like them now! They've explored far away from their roots, and that's the problem.

Actually, it's my quote. But anyway, yes, offspring have been around forever - I *used* to like the music they write. Now it's like they're trying to take everything I dislike about pop music, and amplify it 100-fold. I still listen to their old hardcore punk albums, they've got some really fast guitar parts.

Same with kid rock. He's been writing crap songs for a
*long* time now. Get him out of the public eye!

OT: BTW, where I'm at I never hear Tool. When Lateralus came out, Lateralus and Schism got airplay of course, but I never hear any Aenima or Undertow or anything. Of course, I've only got one radio station that isn't classic rock or country, and the station owners demand pop friendliness, ie, linkin park, chevelle, p.o.d., system of a down, and of all things purely satanic and horribly ear-bleeding ac/dc - your standard 3 minute fair. All I meant was Tool isn't getting played here, and I don't remember a time (aside from Lateralus) that It ever did.

LeadG

Re: Corporate Cockllica.
Jun 8, 2003, 07:26
Re: Corporate Cockllica. Jun 8, 2003, 07:26
Jun 8, 2003, 07:26

After reading more posts, I have to argue about album sales having no affect on the earnings of an artist. Yes, they make 90% of their money through touring... but the record labels are the ones that pay for the expensive equipment and get them the larger venues and do the promotion for that band's shows. No record sales = no corporate backing on tour = playing Lenny's Beer Hut for 30 drunk people when you're in your 40's.

Actually, the record company writes you a check, then *you* must pay for venues, advertising, management, etc. out of your own pocket. There are bands all the time that simply bust and have no money, while playing Soldier Field in front of 60,000 (Oasis, for one. Also, alot of these new bands aren't rich by any means). If you can't budget your money - you owe the record company, but it does not buy anything for you as an artist.

LeadG

Edit: Of course for bands just starting out, record companies will most often recommend/asign any number of producers or promotional gateways that exist within the record company itself. In this way, the record company is, in fact, in charge of getting your band out there. But you're still paying for it yourself, and in this case the record company ends up getting the money!
This comment was edited on Jun 8, 07:34.

Jun 8, 2003, 01:54
Re: Make way for the new speed demons Jun 8, 2003, 01:54
Jun 8, 2003, 01:54

system of a down is great

"The" Dan
ExcessDan
106 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  ] Older