Out of the Blue

Today the actual Expo part of E3 begins... are there more announcements still to be revealed? There always are, but it's hard to imagine where they are hiding at this point. Since Frans, the compiler of the daily game review lists, is attending the show himself, I think game reviews will probably just take the show off, which sort of follows the theme of looking towards the future, rather than the past (yes, that's purely a rationalization, but not bad, huh?).

Stories of the Day: Suit seeks ban on Oreo cookies. Once we outlaw cookies....
Police Fugitive lived in attic crawl space. Thanks /\\!ke.
The road to recovery. 12 steps for hard drives.
Wild Science: Study: Personality Not Set By 30.
Banks suffer increased hack attacks.
Weird Science: Study: West Nile mosquitoes are mutants.
Image of the Day: Bear Attacks Sub. Thanks Ant.
Follow-ups: Now The Other iLoo Inventor Is Annoyed That It's A Hoax and Microsoft tries flushing away iLoo and Oh, It's Not a Hoax: MS ILoo.
Thanks Mike Martinez.
View : : :
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer

X-MEN 2 gag reel
May 14, 2003, 10:30
X-MEN 2 gag reel May 14, 2003, 10:30
May 14, 2003, 10:30

website glitch follow-up
May 14, 2003, 10:46
Jim
website glitch follow-up May 14, 2003, 10:46
May 14, 2003, 10:46
Jim

I looked at the source of the page and found the offending applet code pointing to server-us.imrworldwide.com, so I put this line in my HOSTS file:

127.0.0.1 server-us.imrworldwide.com

No more spyware (or whatever the [cr]applet was doing), and my scrolling doesn't mysteriously cut out half-way down the page anymore (I think it was also causing my MP3 player to stutter- as I noticed that problem went away too).

Whoever was getting the ActiveX warnings, I wonder if this would solve your problem as well.

Jim

Re: X-MEN 2 gag reel
May 14, 2003, 10:54
Re: X-MEN 2 gag reel May 14, 2003, 10:54
May 14, 2003, 10:54

<http://www.superherohype.com/cgi-bin/news/xmen.cgi?newsid1052594259,94524,>

For those getting "invalid article", dont forget the comma in the end of the url.

This comment was edited on May 14, 10:55.

Re:
May 14, 2003, 10:58
Re: May 14, 2003, 10:58
May 14, 2003, 10:58

What they DON'T tell you on that article, is how they dealt with the bear.

The bear was quickly shot and killed. Then, the crew of the Connecticut surfaced and began occupation of the bear's general living area. The occupation is temporary, with the intent to establish a more peaceful, friendly, and less threatening Alpha Bear to rule over the other bears in the area, who desperately needed our help very badly to escape the regime of this oppressive Polar Evil.

The control of the oil resources in the area falls to the highest bidder. France has condemned the occupation.

Re:
May 14, 2003, 11:10
Re: May 14, 2003, 11:10
May 14, 2003, 11:10

Tehee.
There was only one catch and that was Catch-22

Re: X-MEN 2 gag reel
May 14, 2003, 11:21
Re: X-MEN 2 gag reel May 14, 2003, 11:21
May 14, 2003, 11:21

It would be a good link if the gag reel was actually there. I just love reading what someonw wrote about seeing the gag reel. It fails the funny stuff test.

McSterls

Re: website glitch follow-up
May 14, 2003, 11:26
Re: website glitch follow-up May 14, 2003, 11:26
May 14, 2003, 11:26

looked at the source of the page and found the offending applet code pointing to server-us.imrworldwide.com

Yup, that did it. Following up on imrworldwide.com, these guys are a spam/spyware company in the purest form. Guys I would highly recommend blocking *.imrworldwide.com, *.redsheriff.com to your firewalls or add them to your HOSTS file.

This comment was edited on May 14, 11:27.

Cookies
May 14, 2003, 11:35
Cookies May 14, 2003, 11:35
May 14, 2003, 11:35

Once we outlaw cookies....

Only outlaws will have cookies.

-DSR

AHHHHHHHHH!
May 14, 2003, 11:58
Enahs

AHHHHHHHHH! May 14, 2003, 11:58
May 14, 2003, 11:58
 Enahs

That's it, I am going to live out all children’s life long dreams. I am becoming a superhero!! I am going to stop criminal activity!! I will destroy the evil doers. Thats right, I am going to be *duh duh* SAKM! Short for
Stupid Attorney Killer Man!
All your attorneys (and the ones who call them selds lawyers too) if you keep bringing frivilius and stupid suits, you will die!

Nobody ever said Oreo’s were good for you, its been known they weren’t that great, just don’t eat them!
The human body is a wonderful thing, but it has its limits! Big Mac's are not evil, but if your a dumb stupid ass that eats them every day, let you die early! It is possible to drink too much water and cause damage...wait...that’s it! I will make my millions of dollars, not by hard work and education, but by suing the water companies of American, after all, they are promoting a product that can cause harm in large quantities! Anyone want in on this suit? Or know a good lawyer, I promise I wont kill them.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

Re: AHHHHHHHHH!
May 14, 2003, 12:40
Re: AHHHHHHHHH! May 14, 2003, 12:40
May 14, 2003, 12:40

i agree, it really is annoying.

Some fat lazy ass kid wants to get rich, so it sues a big company for millions in 'compensation, neglect and emotional trauma'. Company pays out, couple more suits follow, has to start laying people off to keep profits up, economy just gets worse,..

Like that hot coffee lawsuit, i mean, come on!! ive spilt coffee on myself before, minor burn, i wasent about to sue the company that sold it me because i was too dumb not to be a little more carefull.

honestly the concept of hard work to actually earn money is just foreign to some people. like the people that whine about the rich uns cos they are loaded. why not get out there and do something instead of whining.

my 0.02 cents

http://www.poorintern.com
- The Voices In My Fruit Loops Tell Me I'm Special -
------
Diablo & Diablo 2 for the DS, it makes sense Blizzard!

May 14, 2003, 13:04
nin

Re: AHHHHHHHHH! May 14, 2003, 13:04
May 14, 2003, 13:04
 nin

What about Stupid Lawsuit Attorney Man (SLAM)? Then you'd be rich, too... think about it, someone had to be legal council for these morons, and even if they lose, you STILL get paid!

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

http://www.originaltrilogy.com/

May 14, 2003, 13:05
Jim
Re: AHHHHHHHHH! May 14, 2003, 13:05
Jim

Ban the sale of Oreo's because they're bad? How 'bout we ban CIGARETTES first? Its not like people can become poisoned from second-hand Oreo eating, by sitting in the same room as someone eating Oreos.

Jim

LSD
Re: AHHHHHHHHH! May 14, 2003, 13:05
LSD

http://www.stellaawards.com/
Randy Cassingham (of This is True publication) has started this great newsletter which is both entertaining and illuminating with regards to the problem of frivolous lawsuits. It's generated interesting discussion too. I recommend any of y'all who get riled about this sort of thing check out the newsletter, it's often quite funny, and all true (with bibliography included in each issue).

May 14, 2003, 13:11
Re: AHHHHHHHHH! May 14, 2003, 13:11
May 14, 2003, 13:11

"why not get out there and do something instead of whining."

because, it's a whole lot easier to just complain constantly... plus you get the benefit of blaming someone *else* for your own laziness! how great is that! i work with people like that. the best part is they hate to see people doing something about it (going to school, looking for a new job, etc...) because it makes them feel even worse to see someone with a plan, escaping their own self-induced hell. i pity them as i watch their faces when i tell them what they need to do to get out of their own 'hell'... you can see their brain imagining all that hard work and effort, then their tiny whiny inner-child crying that "NO! I CAN'T DO IT! IT'S JUST TOO HARD!!!"

but hey, this world is difficult, and full of traps for the lazy, indulgent, and unwary. it's no wonder so many people whine.

- tron -
---
"tron is big and tron is full of action... it's a hell of a ride!"
-from the Tron 2.0 box

You naive people
May 14, 2003, 13:31
You naive people May 14, 2003, 13:31
May 14, 2003, 13:31

C'mon, no idiot is really going to try to outlaw Oreos. This guy has another agenda that seems to be working 100%. Look at ALL the publicity this has generated. It's been a couple of days already and it's still running in the papers and the network news shows. They're all doing spots on trans fats and how to avoid them, why they're bad for you. This guy was after publicity, period. Now whether he was trying to get some money out of Nabisco (the bad press is KILLING them right now) or really wanted to draw people's attention to how bad Oreos are for you I have no idea.

Bizarrely, I kind of admire him (and I HATE lawyers)

Re: You naive people
May 14, 2003, 14:54
Re: You naive people May 14, 2003, 14:54
May 14, 2003, 14:54

I think I'll go buy some Oreos today. I've been out for a couple weeks, anyway, so I might as well get a lot.

--Infantryman
Proud to be part of the ACASM.

"Is it so hard to teach a child not to shoot people?"
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

Re: Cookies
May 14, 2003, 15:25
Re: Cookies May 14, 2003, 15:25
May 14, 2003, 15:25

Corporations can't regulate themselves because the bottom line always comes first, so the gubment has to.
Obesity has a massive negative economic and lifestyle (physical and mental health) impact on society, and it has to be dealt with.
Most people aren't aware of the problem or are too lazy to care (because they're obese), so someone has to do something.
Also, you have to remember this suit is in part at trying to get corporations to change how they target children through advertising as well. It's pretty slimy how they go about it now.
They're not trying to ban Oreo's, just trans-fats, which is a good thing.

This comment was edited on May 14, 15:29.

hehe
May 14, 2003, 15:42
hehe May 14, 2003, 15:42
May 14, 2003, 15:42

I wonder what the look on the officer's face was when he looked through and saw that polar bear gnawing on the periscope. I'm sure he had quite a bit of trouble convincing the others that it was true

Re the cookie thing, this is yet one more example of how very very badly things are going in the United States.
a provision of the California civil code that holds manufacturers liable for common products if not "known to be unsafe by the ordinary consumer."
Gee, I wonder which genius out there thinks that cookies filled with white chemical cream are actually healthy?

But hey, if there is one thing the US law teaches us, it's that we are never responsible for our own actions.
Or at least, not as long as there is someone with more money than you to sue for it.

That Road to Recovery article is very interesting. I've had to send off a few drives for recovery from to time, and somehow you always wonder what justifies that massive bill.

Creston

This comment was edited on May 14, 17:27.

May 14, 2003, 19:39
Re: Cookies May 14, 2003, 19:39
May 14, 2003, 19:39

How do we really know this lawyer guy knows what hes talking about? If oreos have been around that long and no one has died from eating them then dont band them. its stupid he just wants his 15 min. of fame.

May 15, 2003, 05:38
Re: Cookies May 15, 2003, 05:38
May 15, 2003, 05:38

If oreos have been around that long and no one has died from eating them then dont band them.

Ummm.. heart disease is the number 1 killer in America, and the main causes of it are cholesterol and trans-fats. So yeah, the 450 billion Oreos that people have eaten have certainly contributed the the heart disease body-count over the years. I think that the FDA should certainly require food-makers to note the amounts of trans-fats that are in their products. It's bad stuff and people need to be aware of what they're putting in their bodies.

its stupid he just wants his 15 min. of fame.

If this seemingly silly lawsuit helps bring awareness up to the point where people demand that the FDA get off its collective ass and update the labeling requirements, then it will be worth it.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  ] Newer