Halo PC Preview

Halo: Combat Evolved (PC): The Very First Look on GameSpy.com offers previews of the upcoming PC version of the shooter that was the cornerstone of the Xbox launch. Based on a visit to the offices of Gearbox, the article answers the burning question of how the PC experience will compare to playing the game on the Xbox: "After spending a few hours playing it for ourselves, we're ready to forget all about the Xbox version: this feels like the platform Halo was always meant for, and could well contain the best combat seen in a first-person shooter, any game, any platform. Ever." In addition, they have also posted Halo PC multiplayer impressions, where they also describe how PC multiplayer will differ:
The big news in terms of original content is that Gearbox will officially be releasing six new multiplayer maps with the game, with names like "Infinity" and "Danger Canyon." Most of these maps appeared to be based on existing areas within Halo's single-player game, and all appeared to support vehicles as well (although we can't confirm that for sure).
View : : :
70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: hmm
May 17, 2003, 12:50
Re: hmm May 17, 2003, 12:50
May 17, 2003, 12:50

The engine probably had to be scaled down for the XBOX.

Woe unto Apple?
May 17, 2003, 12:48
Woe unto Apple? May 17, 2003, 12:48
May 17, 2003, 12:48

What about the Mac port?

Re: Hehe
May 16, 2003, 16:36
Re: Hehe May 16, 2003, 16:36
May 16, 2003, 16:36

Damn alchoholics, always stirrin up shit hehe

May 16, 2003, 16:35
Re: Hehe May 16, 2003, 16:35
May 16, 2003, 16:35

Yea ok, i was pissed about people bashing Halo, and pissed becasuse i drink too much, and so i insulted them - wrong thing to do.

"HL2 has that and much more, so yes I'd put money down that Halo will get dwarfed in comparison"

After watching this ( http://minds.may.ie/~provost/half-life2/video2/halflife2_pce32003_2dn_qt.mov )I may just agree with you.

May 16, 2003, 16:00
Re: Hehe May 16, 2003, 16:00
May 16, 2003, 16:00

Just like you don't know jack shit about all the people you were here insulting in the first place. Worship your Halo if you must, but don't try to convince the rest of the gamers here it is the best game ever, when that is a matter of opinion at best. Good AI, vehicles, fun levels.. the main great things about Halo. HL2 has that and much more, so yes I'd put money down that Halo will get dwarfed in comparison. Had they released PC Halo at the latest a year ago it would have been great. They sat on it, and now the PC version will suffer from that poor decision. Love it all you want, but don't attack people for their opinions. At the very least you can state your disagreement in a professional and mature manner, rather than the whiney fanboy little kid tone you put out in the first place.

May 16, 2003, 10:56
Re: Hehe May 16, 2003, 10:56
May 16, 2003, 10:56

I just dont get you people... Just because a game has better graphics/physics and is realeased after another game - doesn't mean its better. I'm looking forward to Half-life 2 and Deus Ex: Invisible War (and i know they are going to be damn good games), but I don't reckon Halo will be outclassed, or drowned out by them in terms of 'gameplay', which in concept is what 'games' are all about. Sure, HL2 and Doom3 will sell better than Halo on the PC, but BE better? Hah.

"The only fanboy here is you, hanging from the nutsack of the xbox, pretending it's the best game ever(yea right)"

I don't like Xbox. I dont like the way MS are premoting and marketing it, i don't like the way it looks, i don't like the controller. Hell, I dont like 99% of their games. Loving Halo isn't loving Xbox, it's loving a 'Great' game.

I take it very seriously when people call me a fanboy, especially when the person accusing me of being one doesn't no jack shit about me.

hmm
May 16, 2003, 08:46
hmm May 16, 2003, 08:46
May 16, 2003, 08:46

anyone notice that the original old old PC halo screenshots (before xbox, AND before the recoded pc version) look nicer than the pc version screenshots now?

-scheherazade

Halo in the Market
May 15, 2003, 23:38
Halo in the Market May 15, 2003, 23:38
May 15, 2003, 23:38

While Halo will be a "new arrival" to this huge market, I'm sure most people who have or know someone who has cable internet access will just download it from DC++ ... etc, (Those of you who use them know what I'm talking about) I don't intend on paying for such an old (sorry to say it) game, especially when you have, like several of these boards are saying, Doom3, HalfLife2, and for the nostalgic gamer, the Duke Nukem Sequel. The issue is not that Halo is a good or a bad game, it that the timing is poor, M$ should have pushed the buck all at once and made a killing on their system and the PC. I think PC's are the bottom line in gaming, nothing could change my stance on that. I may just be biased cause I have held with computers my whole life, but I find that a good PC game and system will top any games; XBox or PS2; out there, if money's not a big problem. I mean, what are you on accessing this page reading my comment right now?!?!

May 15, 2003, 18:11
Re: Hehe May 15, 2003, 18:11
May 15, 2003, 18:11

Do you feel like a man now that you've attacked everyone elses opinion, and making yourself look like a dipshit. Did that feed your 12 year old ego?

Halo isn't half what it could have been had it been released within a reasonable timeframe after the Xbox version. The only fanboy here is you, hanging from the nutsack of the xbox, pretending it's the best game ever(yea right)

I guarantee you if you were to take a poll of people that prefer the ability to save anywhere, you would see the majority supporting it. Even with it, you and your ego would'nt be forced to use it, since you are obviously much more l33t than the rest of us.

I'll be sure to laugh at you when Halo is drowned in the flood of superior FPS games due out in the same timeframe, while at the same time I will wonder what might have been, since it was after all a great game, not allowed to reach its potential.

May 15, 2003, 12:09
Re: Hehe May 15, 2003, 12:09
May 15, 2003, 12:09

"Thanks Creston, and again, great post."

Your being sarcastic right?

"This game is 21/2 years old..."

The game was released when the Xbox came out, that was november 2001 if i remember rightly. Point is its not over 2 years old"

"I don't play x-box"

Too bad...

"When I want to game, I play on my computer."

When i want to game, I play on my games console"

"In two plus years, nothing new has been added to this game, except six deathmatch levels. BFD."

PC game fanboys without an X box should be on the floor in praise that the best FPS ever made is ever coming for the PC, so shut your mouth biatch and be greatful.

"It will most likely still have sucky console saves, which as one astute poster said, sucks, because if you can save anywhere, it gives you the option to screw around and try new things because you don't have to worry about starting the whole level over."

'Quick saves' are for inexpirienced pussy gamers such as yourself. Your the sort of stuck up twat that slags games like 'zelda' off for being childish. Try completing Wind Waker in less than a month and daddy will give you back ur bottle.

"Well, maybe they should. Or, maybe they should make some new, fun levels and cut out some of the repetitive crap and bad level design that exists in the original game."

Bad level design ? Repetitive crap ? LOL, go play the well made unlinear quake 3?

"2 plus years later, and they might not even be able to include all the features that the xbox version had.

SHAMELESS!!!!!!!!!"

The only thing SHAMELESS!!!!!!!! in this forum is you, call yourself a gamer and you dont even know how long the Xbox has been out. Get a life you faggot.

This comment was edited on May 15, 12:09.

The game that was
May 14, 2003, 19:43
The game that was May 14, 2003, 19:43
May 14, 2003, 19:43

The original concept of Halo (or so it is said) was to have a large, seamless world in which you operated in an almost GTA3 like manner. Gameplay was expected to be like Tribes and when Planetside was first announced I remember everyone crying "Halo clone!!!"

It was also going to be entirely 3rd person to begin with, but that's another story

Re: Yay!
May 14, 2003, 08:25
Re: Yay! May 14, 2003, 08:25
May 14, 2003, 08:25

They probably recorded it at a higher resolution than a typical tv. Just like the DOOM3 trailers are probably all recorded off a very high end system to maximixe the visuals. Pretty much all developers do that I think, it's part of marketing.

Re: Yay!
May 14, 2003, 00:15
Re: Yay! May 14, 2003, 00:15
May 14, 2003, 00:15

IMHO the videos of the old PC/MAC Halo look way cooler than the actual game that was released (gameplay wise).

http://www2.mythica.org/halo/old/halo_480.mov

i must have watched that movie 10,000 times...

http://www2.mythica.org/halo/old/halo_e3_2000.mpeg

that's another good one...

edit: whoops wrong link

This comment was edited on May 14, 00:16.

Re: Halo... Goodbye
May 13, 2003, 15:36
Re: Halo... Goodbye May 13, 2003, 15:36
May 13, 2003, 15:36

It pisses me off that so many of you are so jaded and blind that you refuse to recognize a great game when you see one.

I was pointing out why people were/are pissed off with the whole Halo thing. I've never played Halo, but then I never claimed it was crap anyway. I just hoped that my post would point out why people are so pissed with Bungie.

Why I'm done with this thread. Said all I need to say.

Re: About that Halo thing...
May 13, 2003, 14:02
Re: About that Halo thing... May 13, 2003, 14:02
May 13, 2003, 14:02

Halo was shown first at Macworld Expo, 1999, but there was never any claim that it'd be Mac-only.

Huh, well then scratch what I said! I guess you can't always trust slashdot... Who'da figured

Hmm
May 13, 2003, 02:40
Hmm May 13, 2003, 02:40
May 13, 2003, 02:40

As a long term Bungie fan (ever since Pathwys into Darkness) I will be buying PC Halo simply because it's Halo. It really bugs me that after all this time I still haven't played it - and I was download shaky-cam footage of the Macworld Expo the very day it was announced! I need closure! Never got around to trying it on an X-Box because I knew those lousy controllers would spoil the experience for me (who in their right mind designs an input device which relies primarily on the THUMBS to control it?!?)

The aspect of Halo which still looks strong is its AI - I've heard heaps of good things about enemy behaviour in this game. Also the physics engine, true to Bungie's history (Think 'Myth' and 'Marathon') seems geared primarily towards good silly fun.

Editing tools? Yippee! I wanna see old Marathon maps ported to Halo

Lack of co-op will be a serious blow, but won't kill the game for me. I'm still hoping this will be a good adition to my LAN parties, I have many friends who organise X-Box parties specifically for Halo, and these are people who HAVE decent PCs already but just would rather experience Halo.

But with so many other hot titles scheduled for that time of year, it will surprise me if Halo gets a strong online presence - not with everyone playing HL2.

Re: no coop = no point
May 12, 2003, 23:45
Re: no coop = no point May 12, 2003, 23:45
May 12, 2003, 23:45

well, I wasn't trying to be literal about everything y'know. Like, I don't actually believe they should take a few thousand years to get the game right...%)

anyways, I'll go ahead and correct myself and say "most" everybody else;P

Re: no coop = no point
May 12, 2003, 23:25
Re: no coop = no point May 12, 2003, 23:25
May 12, 2003, 23:25

and as it would seem everybody else

Don't make generalizations, please.

m19

no coop = no point
May 12, 2003, 21:44
no coop = no point May 12, 2003, 21:44
May 12, 2003, 21:44

well, I'm just going to say that Halo PC sounds very underwhelming.

I mean, SIX new maps? And they are based off the single player levels?! C'mon, it can't be that hard to make a Halo map...
The level geometry/architecture in Halo is put together like freaking legos and linkin logs in the first place!

Certainly not what I, and as it would seem everybody else, was expecting out of a PC HALO.
I mean, we've already waited, what, 3 centuries already? Mine as well take a few thousand more years and get it right. At least then people might have a reason to play it.
As of now, I can sure as hell say that I don't.

"SHAMELESS!!!!!!!!!"
May 12, 2003, 21:16
"SHAMELESS!!!!!!!!!" May 12, 2003, 21:16
May 12, 2003, 21:16

hehhhe you got that right. To me the PC version looks dated. And remember, Bunghole... erm I mean Bungie wanted this as a 3rd pov ONLY game. So at least M$ had the brains and good sense to make it a 1st person game.

hahahaha Hyas Nathan Bitner!!!!!! wOOt ;0) ;0)

Anyways.... if Halo PC doesn`t blow minds, somebody somewhere is gonna wear it from just bout every PC gamer who has waited... and waited, waited some more... etc,

I WAS hoping that it wasn`t gonna be a straight port either. I mean come on, Halo is script city. It would be nice if the MP is more like Tribes 1 in its scale and scope than XBox mp too. I guess this is all too much to ask for from a PC Halo. lol

70 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older