Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Middle Earth Online

Vivendi Universal Games Reveals Middle Earth Online Details and Signs Development Signs Development Agreement with Turbine Entertainment is the promised press release announcing plans for Middle-Earth Online and the opening of the game's official website, while there's yet another official website here. The site offers some screenshots and details about gameplay, and there are more new shots on GameSpot and GameSpyDaily. Here's the deal:

Vivendi Universal Games, Inc. (VU Games) announced today that it has entered into a production agreement with Turbine Entertainment Software Corp. to develop "Middle-Earth Online," a massively multiplayer (MMP) game to launch in 2004. The game will be developed as part of VU Games' long-term agreement with Tolkien Enterprises to create interactive entertainment based on J.R.R. Tolkien's epic novel "The Lord of the Rings."

The 3D role-playing game (RPG) will immerse players in the Middle-earth world where they will choose their identities from a cast of archetypal Tolkien characters, form kinships, build race-specific dwellings, explore the landscape, craft unique items and weapons, and perform myriad other activities to bring the world-renowned fantasy realm to life.

"We are extremely excited to be working with a world-class developer like Turbine. Their track record and proven expertise in building, launching, and supporting massively multiplayer games is exceptional, making them the right partner for a franchise as beloved and well-known as J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Lord of the Rings,'" said Jim Wilson, EVP Product Development, Vivendi Universal Games. "Together, our goal will be to bring the vision and spirit of the literary works of J.R.R. Tolkien to life in 'Middle-Earth Online.'"

View
7. Re: w00t May 9, 2003, 16:34 Alciril

All my thoughts about this game summed up into one sentence: I could care less.

MEO was originally supposed to be a very, very innovative game. Their designers were trying things that even people today are afraid to implement. Permanent death, elves being truly rare, and magical items being pretty much non-existent. That's the reason the game was scrapped. The businessmen at Sierra (whom I'm sure have no idea about what makes a good MMORPG) decided that the game wouldn't have mass market appeal since not everyone would be able to be a) an Elf, b) Aragorn, or c) Gandalf. Was this the right business decision? Who knows. All I know is that they canned the first mainstream MMORPG that really tried to break the mold.

It doesn't look like the new MEO is doing anything revolutionary. It seems like a watered-down mass market game where legendary heroes will be a dime a dozen. This just looks like an attempt to cash in on all of the Lord of the Rings hype.

Could the new MEO be everything the original tried to be and more? Sure. I desperately hope that I'm proven wrong. But I'm not holding my breath.

This comment was edited on May 9, 16:36.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. May 9, 13:41 No subject Ginzo
  19. May 9, 19:46  This was supposed to happen in 1999 Horribilus
  20. May 9, 21:08   Re: Yay! Virus
  21. May 10, 01:16    Word to Creston  SamPenguin 
  2. May 9, 13:43 w00t C.S. Pariah
  3. May 9, 13:45  $$$ TangledThorns
>> 7. May 9, 16:34  Re: w00t Alciril
  8. May 9, 16:43   Re: w00t Praxus
  9. May 9, 16:56    Re: w00t Alciril
  11. May 9, 17:13    Re: w00t Karhgath