Mythica Revealed

GameSpy.com Previews Mythica in the first of a two-day series revealing plans for an upcoming MMORPG from Microsoft that puts the player in the role of a Norse hero drawn out of his retirement in Valhalla and faced with a quest to achieve godhood. They reveal plans for races, realms, environments, how death for an immortal character is handled, and more. They plan on revealing more tomorrow, but in the meantime there's plenty of brand new stuff to reveal, even though they point out this project has actually already been in the works for a couple of years:
As with any MMO, Mythica is a huge undertaking, already in development for two years, there is a team of 30 actively working on the project. Wilson said each shard will support up to 3,000 concurrent players, and the number of shards will be determined by how many people sign up for the as-of-yet undetermined monthly fee. Wilson said they are already exploring a way that all the shards can be combined for the final epic battle.
View : : :
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Success of MMORPGs
Apr 25, 2003, 03:06
Re: Success of MMORPGs Apr 25, 2003, 03:06
Apr 25, 2003, 03:06

You're right Robot Monk, I've never played UO, lol..

And about Earth and Beyond, even the people that subscribe to it now, I would guess more than half will leave it to play Star Wars. I agree with Wolfen, there is room for another title, but I think that for everyone that makes it big, 20 or 30 will fail.

I'm not proclaiming this as fact, just my opinion, and my guess. Supply is WAAAY exceding demand, and when you have to pay every month, you're going to pick the best, with the most people playing it, and forget or quit the others.

-LordSteev

Supporter of the "Unleash the Fredster!!" Fan Club

Re: Success of MMORPGs
Apr 24, 2003, 23:37
Re: Success of MMORPGs Apr 24, 2003, 23:37
Apr 24, 2003, 23:37

"Games like Earth & Beyond and Dark Age of Camelot will never beat the sales figures of Everquest or Star Wars Galaxies (when it comes out), but it doesn't mean they are not successful games for the companies that developed them."

Except E&B cost something like $10 million. I'm not sure if that figure is correct but I'm fairly certain it had one of if not the biggest budgets for an MMORPG. And it has a somewhat low number of subscriptions. I'm thinking that is a failure.

This comment was edited on Apr 24, 23:37.

Looks nice..
Apr 24, 2003, 22:50
Looks nice.. Apr 24, 2003, 22:50
Apr 24, 2003, 22:50

It looks nice, but I don't see how its going to compete with the hype machines that are WoW and SW:G. The market's too saturated, especially with these two guarenteed blockbusters, and the fan-bases too loyal to their current game/company for a game like this (which has a few differences, but not all that many) to survive..
I eat pasta!

Success of MMORPGs
Apr 24, 2003, 17:19
Success of MMORPGs Apr 24, 2003, 17:19
Apr 24, 2003, 17:19

You don't have to be number one to be a success in the online marketplace. Games like Earth & Beyond and Dark Age of Camelot will never beat the sales figures of Everquest or Star Wars Galaxies (when it comes out), but it doesn't mean they are not successful games for the companies that developed them.

I just can't figure out why people assume only the number one game in any particular market is a success. With that said, though, there are bound to be a number of online games that fail in the future do to poor planning, execution and management.

Re: and another one...
Apr 24, 2003, 12:59
Wolfen

Re: and another one... Apr 24, 2003, 12:59
Apr 24, 2003, 12:59
 Wolfen

Motor City Online was shut down. And uhhh that other online battle war game. That was just HORRIBLE! Those are a couple games shut down.

To the comment about when are we the developers going to realize mmorpg is going bled dry of gamers becuase of so many games. I say, we know its possible. But the big thing is, its a money machine right now. And only a few games have been successfull enough to take clients from eq and uo. And when you think about it, there chance for more. There is always going to be another one that another player wants to try, and ends up liking. Thats just my opinion. Ive played em all pretty much, and I played them all for a couple years a peice.

Apr 24, 2003, 12:43
Re: and another one... Apr 24, 2003, 12:43
Apr 24, 2003, 12:43

"If you have a level 30 or 40 character in UO..."

Ok, obviously you've never played or even read about UO. I know what you mean though. There's no room in the market for clones.

Edit: I'm not saying Mythica is a clone. There seem to be a few interesting innovations vaguely hinted at like no wimpy newbie stage and whatnot.

This comment was edited on Apr 24, 12:45.

Apr 24, 2003, 12:00
Re: and another one... Apr 24, 2003, 12:00
Apr 24, 2003, 12:00

pRey, thats understandable...When Ultima Online came out, it had lots of players to start with. Now they have higher level characters and have invested alot of time into them. This kind of helps underscore my point. If you have a level 30 or 40 character in UO, are you going to buy, and then pay per month, all these newer ones that are going to come out? Or are you going to stay with UO, because of all the friends you've met there and because you have already invested so much time to get a high level character? None have shut down recently, but trust me, some of these newer ones, in fact MOST of these new ones, are going to feel the crush.

-LordSteev

Apr 24, 2003, 11:54
Re: and another one... Apr 24, 2003, 11:54
Apr 24, 2003, 11:54

I can't think of too many MMORPG's that have shut down recently can you? Even the very dated looking Ultima Online is still around.

Hmmmmm, maybe they are making money regardless of what you think?!

Apr 24, 2003, 11:24
Re: and another one... Apr 24, 2003, 11:24
Apr 24, 2003, 11:24

Species, lol, that was what I was going to post...

How long do you think it will take developers to realize that they need PLAYERS for all these mmorpgs????

It seems a stupid business model to chase after Everquest-like fame and fortune when Everquest had maybe 2 competitors and now the market is going to be saturated with what seems like hundreds of these pay to play titles..

Lots of developers are going to go out of business is my guess.

I never understood how you could be smart enough to program computer games, but stupid enough not to see that unless you're Blizzard or you have ties to Star Wars, your MMORPG is going to get lost in a sea of me-too's.....

-LordSteev

Apr 24, 2003, 11:09
Re: and another one... Apr 24, 2003, 11:09
Apr 24, 2003, 11:09

Somone should get that firery mage a t-shit b4 here tits fall out in the face of some poor 13year old kid

Apr 24, 2003, 11:05
Re: and another one... Apr 24, 2003, 11:05
Apr 24, 2003, 11:05

Yeah. Graphically it should be impressive, but gameplay (from the GameSpy piece) seems pretty much like tarted-up bog-standard MMORPG. I wonder if this is the game Sigil (Brad McQuaid and other EQ refugees) went to MS to work on?

and another one...
Apr 24, 2003, 11:02
and another one... Apr 24, 2003, 11:02
Apr 24, 2003, 11:02

I just wonder how many MMORPG's the world need...

--------------------------------------------------
"...you don't see me - 'cause I don't have much to say..."
http://www.gathering.nl
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older