New Desert Combat Mod

A public preview alpha version 0.3 of the Desert combat modification that adds modern Gulf War combat to Battlefield 1942, Digital Illusions' WW2 FPS is now available, at least to the public that subscribes to FilePlanet (subscription required). As with previous promotional FP debuts, a unique key will be generated along with downloads that will be required to install this update, and an open public release can likely be expected within the next week or so.
View : : :
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

None subject
Apr 7, 2003, 23:19
None subject Apr 7, 2003, 23:19
Apr 7, 2003, 23:19

I've had DC 0.3 since it hit FilePlanet, and I got it for free. You take the DesertCombat mod folder that is unpacked upon install, zip it for your friends, they d/l it and stick it in the BF1942 root. Just like the regular install that is availible now. Not rocket science.

I agree that the Fileplanet exclusive distro is a stupid thing to have for a free program - from what I heard in various IRC channels and boards throughout the gaming community is that the only people who were whining about pulling DC off of sources other than Fileplanet were those who payed for the FP service. Too bad, so sad, buh-bye. I do not feel bad in any way that you had to pay for something I got for free, and I got it for free completely legally. Sounds smart to me. It's like paying for canned air from Druidia when you can suck it in for nothing. Sorry - I just don't get it. Must be the Canadian side of me.

Besides, on one DC server I was playing on no one (out of 16 players) had gotten it from FP. So, this delivery method is obviously flawed.

Buggy? That's why it's called "version 0.3". I have not found one single bug since installing it and playing it. It has yet to crash. I have more issues with BF1942 the game itself than with the DC mod. If you find it buggy and it crashes your system continuously, I'd attribute it to user error. Seems like the general community doesn't have an issue with it. Besides... it's free! Whining about something that is free.... yeah. Ok. Sure.

I also have the Merciless Creations add-on, and again - no hitches or crashes for me. It's called "clean install". Perhaps your Win 95 - upgrade to 98 - upgrade to Me - upgrade to XP system may have some errors in it? Just a thought. I seem to have these "thought" things from time to time.

Some of you d00dz seriously need to chill before coming on here and ranting your brains out. You won't have much brains left if you keep that up.

Then again, can't lose what you never had.....

MrFancyPants

"Some days you are the pigeon, other days you are the statue. Today, I plan on being the guy feeding the pigeons."

This comment was edited on Apr 7, 23:21.

Re: GSI
Apr 2, 2003, 21:42
Re: GSI Apr 2, 2003, 21:42
Apr 2, 2003, 21:42

What's interesting is that I can only assume the mod team wasn't compensated OR that BF1942 has the weirdest EULA known to mankind.

Ohh, very true, that. Interesting issue. Does anyone know if any bodily fluids money was exchanged?

Apr 2, 2003, 21:38
Re: GSI Apr 2, 2003, 21:38
Apr 2, 2003, 21:38

I don't mind the EZ pad model so much, if it worked a little better. The freelancer demo worked amazingly well. The DC demo was S.L.O.www. And it's horribly buggy. I don't know why they released it like this. I love DC but I can't play this. Keeps locking up and CTD. Maybe next rev!

Apr 2, 2003, 21:17
Bronco

Re: GSI Apr 2, 2003, 21:17
Apr 2, 2003, 21:17
 Bronco

so your complaint is that GSI used to do everything for free and now they expect to make money? Welcome to the new new economy.

More like the new old economy. Same business model that banks used with ATMs and Heroin dealers use with freebies.

Get 'em hooked then pull them in.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org
I'd be a Libertarian, if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners.
-TPFKAS2S

Apr 2, 2003, 19:53
Re: GSI Apr 2, 2003, 19:53
Apr 2, 2003, 19:53

>>ive seen the first mod team that has ever sold out completely to its fans by putting their so called "FREE" mod on a subscriber only service.<<

What's interesting is that I can only assume the mod team wasn't compensated OR that BF1942 has the weirdest EULA known to mankind.

Apr 2, 2003, 19:50
Re: GSI Apr 2, 2003, 19:50
Apr 2, 2003, 19:50

so your complaint is that GSI used to do everything for free and now they expect to make money? Welcome to the new new economy.

Schnapple

http://members.tripod.com/schnapple99/

GSI
Apr 2, 2003, 18:38
GSI Apr 2, 2003, 18:38
Apr 2, 2003, 18:38

i used to like gamespy, back when their program was just called "quakespy." the first few versions of gamespy were great - quite possibly the best server browser ive used. well, after a while, the planet(whatever).com sites came up after the success of planetquake.com, and gamespy turned into gamespy industries - a full fledged corporation. gamespy arcade came out, fileplanet then became a pay service, and other _companies_ (and i emphasize companies, because most mod teams care about their community) get exclusive deals on this fileplanet subscriber crap. now to present day, ive seen the first mod team that has ever sold out completely to its fans by putting their so called "FREE" mod on a subscriber only service. i know, it will be available on saturday, but seriously, why should the rest of us go through hoops to get something thats made in someones free time for the satisfaction of their community? i mean, i dont want to force any mod team to do one thing or another, but this is like getting a bottle of coke opened on your head. if you are forcing people to sign up for some pay service, then go create a company, because most corporate companies dont care about their communities anyway.

erm...
Apr 2, 2003, 18:27
erm... Apr 2, 2003, 18:27
Apr 2, 2003, 18:27

The "privacy" disclaimer:

netquartz® does not share personally identifiable information except during the processing of some requests for information or services. In this case, the information you voluntarily provided us with may (but will not necessarily) be referred to one of netquartz® service partners who will be able to assist in the processing of that request. Any partner or off-site assistant will be required not to disclose personally identifiable information to others and not to share that information with marketers. Site users can opt out of having their request referred to an outside partner by notifying us at info@netquartz.com.

sounds like the same disclaimer I read in every other piece of spyware. Thats just what I found in a very quick search.
I also take issue with Dakota chracterizing critics of net quartz as complaining about the DC release. Unlike GSI, the DC team doesn't include any 3rd party tracking software with their work. No one is more appreciative about modders than me and out of every post on every forum I go to you won't find a single post of mine bitching about free content.

My complaints are directed at GSI who, in their zeal to become more profitable (which is fine by me) are starting to treat the gaming community as cattle in much the same way the rest of the software industry treats mainstream users. Difference is most gamers can spot bullshit a mile off.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Currently Playing: Desert Combat .3, Devastation, Blade of Darkness, Starscape demo, Beta testing On Deck: Red Faction 2, Breed
This comment was edited on Apr 2, 18:28.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Re: GSI and Fileplanet can suck on it.
Apr 2, 2003, 18:18
Re: GSI and Fileplanet can suck on it. Apr 2, 2003, 18:18
Apr 2, 2003, 18:18

EZ Pad does not monitor your e-mail or send your pr0n files to us: it simply check to make sure you have a valid access KEY.

Well that seems just as advertised... I guess there are folks characterizing any file that communicates over your network as spyware, which concerns me because it devalues concerns about genuine threats from real spyware.

What's interesting is doing a Google search on "EZ Pad". It seems this is the name of about 100 different pieces of unrelated software, starting with the most obvious... a notepad replacement.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Preview/Review
Apr 2, 2003, 17:39
Ant

Preview/Review Apr 2, 2003, 17:39
Apr 2, 2003, 17:39
 Ant

http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/~bfaf/dc-3.php

Wow. Ugh Ugh! I can't wait! Ack!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

Suicide is the only answer
Apr 2, 2003, 17:35
Suicide is the only answer Apr 2, 2003, 17:35
Apr 2, 2003, 17:35

The day I subscribe to fileplanet or gamespy is the day I will commit suicide.

Dan
Intel 486SX, Trident video, 8MB RAM, 14" Generic Monitor, 100 MB HDD, Windows 3.11
ExcessDan

Re: DeeCee
Apr 2, 2003, 17:27
Re: DeeCee Apr 2, 2003, 17:27
Apr 2, 2003, 17:27

Also, http://www.rtzen.com/static/page,1-4.html

Not that it undermines the quality or the feat of the mod, but it's not like most modders have worked on 3D max personally

Blue defends me, but the post disappears
Apr 2, 2003, 17:21
Blue defends me, but the post disappears Apr 2, 2003, 17:21
Apr 2, 2003, 17:21

Alrighty.

Anyway, I'm sure GSI would never think of doing business with the likes of Gator, or Webhancer. Oh, wait, it does.

Apr 2, 2003, 17:19
Re: DeeCee Apr 2, 2003, 17:19
Apr 2, 2003, 17:19

Damn, I had no idea...

http://www.frankdelise.com/

Apr 2, 2003, 17:14
Re: DeeCee Apr 2, 2003, 17:14
Apr 2, 2003, 17:14

>>I had to keep reminding myself these guys are modders and not professional game devs.<<

Frank DeLise is vice president of a software company, so these guys aren't exactly typical modders either.

Apr 2, 2003, 17:07
Re: GSI and Fileplanet can suck on it. Apr 2, 2003, 17:07
Apr 2, 2003, 17:07

I'd be happy to address the issue. EZ PAD is not spyware. EZ Pad is the client-side application for the netquartz Digital Rights Management system. In English, this is small program that we use to verify that a user qualifies to run a program. If the file is a demo preview, for example, we use DRM to make sure that the demo isn't leaked to the Internet at large before the official release date. A number of game publishers use the same technology to limit the usage of press demos or private betas. EZ Pad does not monitor your e-mail or send your pr0n files to us: it simply check to make sure you have a valid access KEY.

Thanks for removing the link, btw. :-)

No subject
Apr 2, 2003, 16:45
No subject Apr 2, 2003, 16:45
Apr 2, 2003, 16:45

I wouldn't download this crap until it was at least in beta anyways.

Dan
Intel 486SX, Trident video, 8MB RAM, 14" Generic Monitor, 100 MB HDD, Windows 3.11
ExcessDan

Apr 2, 2003, 16:26
Re: GSI and Fileplanet can suck on it. Apr 2, 2003, 16:26
Apr 2, 2003, 16:26

At this rate, there needs to be a "report" button on every post to alert Blue/Bagpuss as to bad posts (like illegal links or frederickson posts)

Schnapple

http://members.tripod.com/schnapple99/

Apr 2, 2003, 15:56
Re: GSI and Fileplanet can suck on it. Apr 2, 2003, 15:56
Apr 2, 2003, 15:56

Okay Darren, since you were so vocal here voicing your questions about how this post was allowed to exist, perhaps you'll take the time to answer the questions that are raised by this spyware issue... is EZ Pad spyware, and if so why? Didn't you guys learn a lesson about this with Gator and arcade, or is just all about the benjamins?
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Didn't take me any time at all...
Apr 2, 2003, 15:41
Didn't take me any time at all... Apr 2, 2003, 15:41
Apr 2, 2003, 15:41

To recreate a full EXE installer of the MOD without any of the "EZ-Pad crap". Run, install, play. Already in distribution to my many friends....as official as the one coming out the 5th will be. =) If someone wants to host it just give me a way to upload it to you.

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older