Out of the Blue

Bush Signs Anti-Telemarketing Bill (thanks eurodeseo|OSLT) has the good news that some relief from the scourge of telemarketing, as it will create a do-not-call list, with the punishment for calling listed people to be a fine of up to $11,000 for each violation. Of course, there's always a loophole, and the politicians were certainly not going to curtail their own ability to pester us, so: "Charities, surveys and calls on behalf of politicians would be exempt." I can only suspect the worst of this last part: 'Hi, I'm calling on behalf of the U.S. Congress to offer you a way to lower your mortgage rate.'

Link of the Day: Ted Turner Sends Self Back In Time To Prevent AOL Time Warner Merger. Thanks [PIT]SlayerAODsk.
Stories of the Day: French Fries Get New Name in Congress. Thanks Borzoi.
Groundhog Day: The Musical. Thanks loonyboi. "Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're also always today."
HBO countersues 'Sopranos' star Gandolfini for $100M. Thanks David.
Weird Science: Gauging age by the smell of urine. Thanks [MP] Wolverine [MP].
Wild Science: Universe as Doughnut: New Data, New Debate (NY Times free registration required). Thanks Mark Siegel.
Media of the Day: Trunk Monkey. Thanks Ant.
Demo. Thanks [PIT]SlayerAODsk.
Beer Is Good For You? Thanks Homer.
Auction of the Day: Instant Girlfriend Kit! Thanks [PIT]SlayerAODsk.
View : : :
94 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: to Craw
Mar 12, 2003, 17:09
Re: to Craw Mar 12, 2003, 17:09
Mar 12, 2003, 17:09

However, inspectors or no inspectors, Iraq ended the Gulf War based on an agreement with the UN that they refuse to live up to. No one debates that issue, not even the French. Everyone knows that Iraq is not in compliance. The disagreement comes in the form of the answer to "What are we going to do about it?"

I agree with your identification of the question, I'm not sue I agree with your response.

there exists a country that has broken 69 UN Security Council resolutions. Its lack of compliance goes back to 1948, not 1991. It has a verified nuclear weapons capability which threatens its neighbours - indeed to threaten its neighbours was the reason for its weapons of mass destruction program.

If 12 years is enough for Iraq surely 54 is enough for Israel.

If war is the way to enforce UN resolutions why does the western alliance not age war on Israel?

Of course since you aren't sticking your head in the sand on international issues you will have been calling for an end to the 6 billion dollars a year funds flow to Israel from the US.

Anvil

edit rearrange the above words to make an actual sentence
This comment was edited on Mar 12, 17:12.
Anvil - from the land of warm beer and mad cattle.

Re: Freedumb Fries
Mar 12, 2003, 16:59
Re: Freedumb Fries Mar 12, 2003, 16:59
Mar 12, 2003, 16:59

North Korea is run by a nutball drunk
And again, so are we.
Um, NO. Do a wee little bitty bit of research on Kim Jong II and I think even the most bleeding heart liberal of you will see that there is no comparison.

Indeed
North Korea Leader=deranged psychotic
American Leader=semi-literate ex drunk.

I'll be resting easy then, completely different reasons to be scared witless by either of them controlling nukes, and not giving a damn what other folk think.

More seriously, I am scared by the apparent determination by the US (and to a lesser extent Britain) to emasculate the UN, not because I think Hussein should remain, but because I just wonder what happens with Tibet, Chechnya, India/Pakistan, Zimbabwe, Israel, Libya when it is decided that self interest of the poweful is the new (old?) world order. It worries me that the country of which I'm proud to be a citizen, and with a thousand years of (ever increasing) democracy and freedom, and the most powerful state on earth, and which was born as a response to opression, should be sacrificing freedom, liberty and the rule of law for external values, imposed regimes and the rule of might.

yeah and the MOAB isn't a weapon of mass destruction - right.

Anvil

Re: Anti-Telemarketing Bill
Mar 12, 2003, 16:43
Re: Anti-Telemarketing Bill Mar 12, 2003, 16:43
Mar 12, 2003, 16:43

latin works well, as does french or spanish. Though one does of course run the risk of encountering a university major in that language doing the cold calling for extra cash hence latin as language of choice.

Anvil

Re: to Craw
Mar 12, 2003, 15:50
Re: to Craw Mar 12, 2003, 15:50
Mar 12, 2003, 15:50

Xil, theres a lot of valid points in there...many that I have made here even.

However, inspectors or no inspectors, Iraq ended the Gulf War based on an agreement with the UN that they refuse to live up to. No one debates that issue, not even the French. Everyone knows that Iraq is not in compliance. The disagreement comes in the form of the answer to "What are we going to do about it?"

The UN - Nothing, jsut keep sending in inspectors till the cows come home.

The US - Enough is enough...you've had 12 years asshole, times up. We are not going to give you the chance to make us wish we had done something about you when we could have, which is NOW.

Believe it or not, I am a hardcore liberal. I am registered independant and I would consider myself Libertarian except that they believe its best for us to stick our heads in the sand regarding all international issues, I dont.

MAIN PC (for Soupkin)
=======
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
AMD Barton 2800
1024 Meg Corsair XMS PC3200 CAS2(2x512 in Dual Channel)
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Maxtor 40 Gig 7200 RPM ATA133
Maxtor 60 Gig 7200 RPM ATA133
350W Power Supply
Windows XP Home

Mar 12, 2003, 15:25
Re: Freedumb Fries Mar 12, 2003, 15:25
Mar 12, 2003, 15:25

You should protest against the US/Britain alliance, really.

Well, that was a long, long time ago. I think historically we (Americans) tend to think of our previous conflicts with Britain more along the lines of a teenage kid trying to get freedom from its parents.

So is the US. Do you SERIOUSLY think the US is a saint in here and wants to attack Iraq to get rid of a dictator and his weapon of mass destruction for the greater good of Humanity?

Of course not, and I did not say so or allude to that. In fact, I said I hate Bush. And what you say is exactly correct, EVERYONE has their own agenda. I make my decisions based on my own discoveries and common sense after trying to weed out the lies from the truth. No one is telling the whole truth in this situation...NO ONE. I do believe that Saddaam is a ruthless dictator that tortures his own people, that invades other countries and tortures THEIR people (ask the Kuwaitis), and that creates ecological disasters. I do believe the world is far better off without him, and I KNOW the US is better off without him.

Saddaam is evil, period. Is anyone willing to debate that one fact? So France and Russia are willing to support this evil for their money and oil...isnt that exactly what everyone accuses the US of doing? Only this time the US agenda just happens to be on the side of good, whether by accident or design is not important to me now.

Saddaam must go. I am shocked at the ignorance of Europe in this case, they usually seem pretty on the ball and well informed but here they are not. Again, nothing has happened for 12 years and 17 resolutions until we spend our money, MY money, and put our troops on their borders. France would have us keep them there indefinately at our expense just to make this complete asshole stop playing very serious games? Well, I dont want 300,000 of my contrymen living on the borders of Iraq indefinately and I dont thikn many Americans do. I DO want this crap to end though, one way or another. Since the UN has done NOTHING to end this over the past 12 years its time for us to stop sitting here hoping that Saddaam is going to magically wake up and live up to his obligations that put a CEASE FIRE to the Gulf War.

These are obligations that ALL of the UN (including the frogs) agreed to but NO ONE in the UN is willing to enforce.

And these same people will say that Bush and Blair are making the UN irrelevant....the UN has been doing that on their own for quite some time now...

MAIN PC (for Soupkin)
=======
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
AMD Barton 2800
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
350W Power Supply
Windows XP Home

Chuckles......
Mar 12, 2003, 15:23
Chuckles...... Mar 12, 2003, 15:23
Mar 12, 2003, 15:23

For a country always lording about human rights and bleh bleh bleh it was funny when i just found out that G.W Bush renounced some treaty that Bill Clinton signed with the International War Crimes Tribunal or whatever.....

Mar 12, 2003, 15:16
Re: Freedumb Fries Mar 12, 2003, 15:16
Mar 12, 2003, 15:16

the ONLY reson that he is just now STARTING to comply is because we have 300,000 troops about to pounce on him. As soon as we pack up and go home he goes back to his usual antics of thumbing his nose at the UN.

err why? becase he has weapons of mass destruction? err don't the US still make weapons of mass destruction. Yup, is anyone invading you? the odd suicide bomber. PErsonally I think US is the bad guy in this whole event, they are rushing into other countries converting their government to something they can...i'll say control. Mock governments have been around for years and have goten the US into lots of trouble times.

And the whole appeasement issue. Forcing all the countries to help US because they know whats right. Fuck that. I'm glad countries like France, Germany, and Russia are standing up against cowboy riding jockey like Bush. I think Bush wants to be remembered, so he is creating another Vietnam for us...err you guys.

Its not that the French aren't grateful, they like the rest of the world just don't see the point of disarming a country and stealing all their oil. How can you boycott a country but still accept their oil? ITs like boycotting Cuba (which they have) but allowing cigars to come in.

I laugh everytime I see Bush talk on TV, he looks soo funny. Something about him, like hes going to cry or something...soo funny

to Craw
Mar 12, 2003, 15:12
Xil

to Craw Mar 12, 2003, 15:12
Mar 12, 2003, 15:12
 Xil

Craw,

I don't really wanne get into this mess of politics, but I feel you should take the time to read this: http://www.democracymeansyou.com/iraq/index.htm

I feel it has a lot of valid points ( as did Karhgath ) and eventhough you might not agree fully with it, it might give you another look on things and that is always a good thing

-Xil

Mar 12, 2003, 15:06
Re: Freedumb Fries Mar 12, 2003, 15:06
Mar 12, 2003, 15:06

you have to pay money to get on the list

Mar 12, 2003, 15:04
nin

Re: Freedumb Fries Mar 12, 2003, 15:04
Mar 12, 2003, 15:04
 nin

And again, so are we.

No no no..we're (the U.S.) run by a former COKEHEAD.

Mar 12, 2003, 14:59
Re: Freedumb Fries Mar 12, 2003, 14:59
Mar 12, 2003, 14:59

Craw: I think you showed exactly why many people are resentful of americans. It's nice to be patriotist and proud of your country, but there is a line to cross I think, and too many americans cross it. It's not about who's stronger or who's better, it's about who you are. I mean, if you want to talk about historic happening, why does the US allies with Britain? Shouldn't you hate each other for lives? You should protest against the US/Britain alliance, really.

Anyway, you think France wants cheap oil and that's why they oppose the US? Probably, yes. So is the US. Do you SERIOUSLY think the US is a saint in here and wants to attack Iraq to get rid of a dictator and his weapon of mass destruction for the greater good of Humanity? Whether or not Saddam has Weapon of Mass Destruction doesn't mean anything here, the US don't even care. They want the oil too, and badly even, and contrary to France, they have the army to take over Iraq, so sure, they want to attack them for the oil. The difference is that France isn't strong enough to flex his muscle, so they want to do it the peaceful way. Everyone has an agenda. Saddam has incredibly high debts to Russia, so that's probably why Russia backs France, they want to be repaid (probably with oil) before Saddam goes out.

Everyone wants the oil. It's simple. They'll say anything but that, but it still all comes down to the oil.

Well, except for our great prime minister here in canada who day after day contradict himself and his minister of defence. One day we're with the US, the next against, and some day we don't even know. Talk about focused politics from our beloved Jean Chretien =)

Mar 12, 2003, 13:54
Re: Freedumb Fries Mar 12, 2003, 13:54
Mar 12, 2003, 13:54

The Middle East is filled with psycho extremists
So is the United States.

Yeah, and every other country on the planet...

And again, so are we.

Um, NO. Do a wee little bitty bit of research on Kim Jong II and I think even the most bleeding heart liberal of you will see that there is no comparison.

FRENCH LANGUAGE IS NOT FRENCH PEOPLE
And the French people are not the French government.

How is that relevant to Beerkeg accusing Americans of thinking that anyone that speaks French is French? I already know that everyone that speaks English isnt English so I think I am quite capable of making that distinction, thanks though.

Besides, the French support their government so the difference is transparent.

Hey, I hate G.W. Bush and Al Gore...I do not always support war by any means, but if any one of you thinks for one minute that Sadaam is BEGINING to comply out of the kindness of his heart or respect for th UN you are delusional...the ONLY reson that he is just now STARTING to comply is because we have 300,000 troops about to pounce on him. As soon as we pack up and go home he goes back to his usual antics of thumbing his nose at the UN.

So why pick on France? Because they are clearly picking on the US. They are grandstanding so that they feel important to the rest of the world, like in the good old days...lol. You do know that France has many many oil contracts with Iraq that predate the Gulf War, right? The frogs are afraid that their contracts will not be honored when Sadaam goes. They are worried that America will get all the cheap oil. They want Sadaam to stay and sanctions lifted so that THEY can get the oil...its always about the oil with the frogs...heh.

Its disgraceful. My family fought to liberate the frogs from the krauts. We should have minded our own business then IMO and let the war mongers of Europe destroy themselves AGAIN. Amazing how high and mighty these folks are after just 50+ years...
This comment was edited on Mar 12, 13:57.
MAIN PC (for Soupkin)
=======
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
AMD Barton 2800
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
350W Power Supply
Windows XP Home

Mar 12, 2003, 13:47
Re: Freedumb Fries Mar 12, 2003, 13:47
Mar 12, 2003, 13:47

Freedom fries will save you from oppression, criminals, corrupt business, and healthy food.
"North Korea is run by a nutball drunk
And again, so are we."
Not really. The US is ran by microsoft...

This comment was edited on Mar 12, 13:47.

Mar 12, 2003, 13:11
Re: Freedumb Fries Mar 12, 2003, 13:11
Mar 12, 2003, 13:11

The Middle East is filled with psycho extremists
So is the United States.

And again, so are we.

FRENCH LANGUAGE IS NOT FRENCH PEOPLE
And the French people are not the French government.

The fact is, France isn't the only country that doesn't want us to go to war, and there are as many Americans that don't want us to go to war. There is no reason to single out France at all.
Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

Bad Joke Time
Mar 12, 2003, 13:07
Bad Joke Time Mar 12, 2003, 13:07
Mar 12, 2003, 13:07

Where were the first french fries made?

Greece!!!

--------------------------------------------------
Kiss my shiny metal butt
Kiss my shiny metal ass

Re: Fries what?
Mar 12, 2003, 13:03
Re: Fries what? Mar 12, 2003, 13:03
Mar 12, 2003, 13:03

I guess that's why so many countries see the US as a slack jawed, Bullying, Red-Necked band wagon of racist.

I think someone needs to take issue with the raceist part. Quite frankly, the rest of the world doesnt have to deal with other races. Ever been to Germany? Nothing but white Germans.....Japan?, nothing but asian-looking (mongaloid) folks...and so on.

When I was in highschool, we went camping one time with a few German exchange student girls. They were SHOCKED that we not only knew a jewish person, but were *gasp* friends with him too. And what really blew their mind, a non-jewish girl was dating him!!!!! They had told us they never been friends with "one of them"....and only seen a few.

I think the US does pretty well considering.....

Kiss my shiny metal butt
Kiss my shiny metal ass

Mar 12, 2003, 12:58
Re: Fries what? Mar 12, 2003, 12:58
Mar 12, 2003, 12:58

Please don't think all Americans support or accept this kind of idiocy.

I couldn't believe it when I actually started to see anti-french sentiment... and only because they are (thank God) vetoing UN involvement in this dirty little war. If anyone ever "corrects" me when I order french fries, I don't think I'll be able to handle it.

Re: Anti-Telemarketing Bill
Mar 12, 2003, 12:55
nin

Re: Anti-Telemarketing Bill Mar 12, 2003, 12:55
Mar 12, 2003, 12:55
 nin

My proudest moment of late was when someone called trying to get me to sign up for a credit card. Adopting the voice of a backwater hick, I then informed him that "I'd love ta git it, but my wife Murlene's church says them credit cards are evil". The poor guy tripped over himself saying he fully respected my religious beliefs, but I just *had* to have this card. He kept buying the story, even when I mentioned I wouldn't want "Murlele" to get banned from the bake sale after she'd spent all those hours making bear-claws.

That's classic, man! I'll have to remember that one...

Mar 12, 2003, 12:52
Re: Fries what? Mar 12, 2003, 12:52
Mar 12, 2003, 12:52

As someone posted on Kuro5hin...

French Fries = Freedom Fries
French Fries = Freedom Fries
French = Freedom

Mar 12, 2003, 12:46
Re: Fries what? Mar 12, 2003, 12:46
Mar 12, 2003, 12:46

Actually, they are called French Fries because of the jullienne cut which is also called "French cut". French Fries did NOT come from France. I know this because I used to be a chef in New Orleans and we had to learn a few things about the frogs and their food since we used to be part of the frog empire before the imperialistic greedy ignorant frogs sold it to the US for a song so they could be war mongers all over Europe....heh, morons. Good for me though, I am sooooooooo glad I am not a frog.

See, I think the world should stop bitching about the US...we are damned if we do, damned if we dont. It gets to a point where its just silly like the frogs. Half the world is bitching because America doesnt "do something about it" and the other half is bitching because America "sticks their nose in all over the place"....whatever.

MAIN PC (for Soupkin)
=======
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
AMD Barton 2800
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
350W Power Supply
Windows XP Home
94 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older