NOLF2 Add-on & MP Plans

There's an article on future plans for No One Lives Forever on GameSpy with word on plans at Monolith for future releases of both a tool package and an expansion pack for No One Lives Forever 2, their spy shooter sequel. There are scant details on the add-on, except that it's expected before the end of this year, and that it will put players in the role of one of the bad guys, rather than as Cate Archer. What they have to say about plans for a free multiplayer patch is more concrete, including word it is expected within the next couple of weeks. Here's the deal:
The “first big release” (as Monolith put it) is a huge NOLF2 multiplayer patch which will be released within a week or two, adding deathmatch, team deathmatch, and a new gameplay mode called Doomsday. The patch should contain over 10 maps, many based on NOLF2 single-player levels (including Siberia, Japan, and Khios), but including large pieces of original architecture as well.
View : : :
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer

So, in other words...
Mar 8, 2003, 15:04
So, in other words... Mar 8, 2003, 15:04
Mar 8, 2003, 15:04

...w00t!

Lubbing that game,
Ray

---------------------------------------
Don't eat the Menchi!11111
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
In life, I want my mother to be well, to be with the woman I love, and to have fun with friends.
I am sorry, but at what point do the hating and murdering come into play???
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Editing Tools
Mar 8, 2003, 15:22
Editing Tools Mar 8, 2003, 15:22
Mar 8, 2003, 15:22

Yay! Hoping for a few excellent user-created coop missions

No subject
Mar 8, 2003, 15:28
No subject Mar 8, 2003, 15:28
Mar 8, 2003, 15:28

Excellent stuff, looking forward to this already! Interesting to see that you get to play as a H.A.RM guy, sounds good

"Despite constant warnings you have never met anyone who's had their arm broken by a swan"
===
B: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

Damn it!!!
Mar 8, 2003, 16:18
Ant

Damn it!!! Mar 8, 2003, 16:18
Mar 8, 2003, 16:18
 Ant

And I sold the game back to EB! Argh!!! Why why why?

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx

Preview on the v1.3 patch
Mar 8, 2003, 16:26
Ant

Preview on the v1.3 patch Mar 8, 2003, 16:26
Mar 8, 2003, 16:26
 Ant

Heh
Mar 8, 2003, 17:53
Heh Mar 8, 2003, 17:53
Mar 8, 2003, 17:53

Tried the demo but the game didn't grab me. Not my kind of FPS. Its more for the Sims (ghey) crowd me thinks.

Good chance
Mar 8, 2003, 18:14
Good chance Mar 8, 2003, 18:14
Mar 8, 2003, 18:14

A good chance for Monolith to redeem itself with something worthy of the original. NO respawning enemies. A return to more stealthy gameplay. Spy gadgets that are actually useful. Music as good as in the original. And a return to dialog that is actually funny!

Re: Heh
Mar 8, 2003, 18:21
Re: Heh Mar 8, 2003, 18:21
Mar 8, 2003, 18:21

So, trying for a few flames TangledThorns?

Mar 8, 2003, 18:53
Re: Heh Mar 8, 2003, 18:53
Mar 8, 2003, 18:53

ATI owns Nvidia!

Re: Good chance
Mar 8, 2003, 18:54
Re: Good chance Mar 8, 2003, 18:54
Mar 8, 2003, 18:54

I think the problem is the departure of some key Monolith people between NOLF1 and 2. Notice that Armstrong had a different voice? The voice in the first game was provided by one of the main team members, so he left.

NOLF2, along with the drastic changes in JK2 over JK: DF2 and the overall negative changes in SFC3 vs SFC2, fills me with trepidation over Deus Ex 2 and Thief III, as well as ST:Elite Force 2.

Not only is making a truly GOOD game apparently quite hard, it seems that the creators of these good games can't repeat their success all that often.

Kudos to Papyrus for consistently stepping AHEAD with each iteration of NASCAR Racing. While sometimes things like AI didn't improve as much as we wanted, it NEVER stepped backwards. NOLF2 was a good game, but after the original it was a letdown. I think the new mini-campaign in the NOLF GOTY edition hinted at that--no one liked it as much as the base game.

The Jedi Master

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 18:56.

Mar 8, 2003, 19:20
Re: Heh Mar 8, 2003, 19:20
Mar 8, 2003, 19:20

ATI owns Nvidia
Thats not flame-bait. Thats Gods honest truth.

Re: Good chance
Mar 8, 2003, 20:55
Ant

Re: Good chance Mar 8, 2003, 20:55
Mar 8, 2003, 20:55
 Ant

Jedi Master: The voice of Cate Archer is different too.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx

Hmmm
Mar 8, 2003, 21:54
Hmmm Mar 8, 2003, 21:54
Mar 8, 2003, 21:54

1) WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY too late. (When did the original come out, October 2002 or so? Hello, an expansion pack a year and some months after the original? Why not make an expansion pack for Blood 2, Monolith?)

2) You DON'T play as Cate Archer? Not a good idea.

3) Where's the fix for the framerate dropping problem, Monolith?

4) Where's the fix for the bug you introduced in patch 1.2, where cutscenes now just sit there, Monolith? (apparently because an actor is missing and for some God unknown reason, the other actor won't start the cutscene if the first actor is missing. Stupidest POS way of doing a cutscene if I ever saw one).

Don't get me wrong, I love NOLF, I love NOLF2 (even though I played through it only once. tried it again recently and got REALLY annoyed at the cutscenes not working). I would buy NOLF3 once it was released.

But this fills me with as much "excitement" as the announcement of yet another Command & Conquer game would. Which is frigging zero.

Creston

Re: Hmmm
Mar 8, 2003, 22:13
Re: Hmmm Mar 8, 2003, 22:13
Mar 8, 2003, 22:13

Shut the hell up buddy.

That is an order.

STAMD DOWN SOLDIER. Sit down. Sit your butt DOWN.

Mar 8, 2003, 22:42
Re: Hmmm Mar 8, 2003, 22:42
Mar 8, 2003, 22:42

Ant,
The original voice for Cate was a hired actress, as is the new voice. That's no big deal--the fact that Armstrong was different, and VASTLY inferior at that, combined with the change in the style of the game's writing, shows the team had some major personnel changes. And none were for the better.

An add-on a year after a game came out is NOT unusual. OFP:Resistance came out 1 year almost to the day after the original release. Well, in Europe anyway. It took another 3 months before it came out here with the first 2 patches integrated. GR:Island Thunder was a year after release.

Here's NOLF2's big failure--it didn't improve upon the original or even try to match it. The original had Bruno, the head of UNITY and Mr Smith, Mr Suave Annoying, Ms Fat Opera Singer, Volkov, the Baron and Baroness, and Armstrong. The sequel had Armstrong in a weak supporting role, UNITY head off somewhere, no equivalent to Smith, Mr Annoying as voice-only tapes, Volkov in a weak supporting role, the HARM Director, the Mime King, and a boring Japanese girl as "arch nemesis"--yawn--with the character of a dried noodle.
Only the HARM Director was decent. The Mime King was "eh." Original, yes, but only eh. The Japanese girl was the biggest mistake. A straight role!?!?! Did NOT belong in the game. Put her in Deus Ex 2 or AvP3 or something, not NOLF.
The overheard guard conversations in the sequel pale to the first one's. Even the guards themselves. I couldn't stop laughing in the original the first time I opened fire and heard a bad guy shout, "Oh oh, bullets!" and run for cover!

The high-point of the original NOLF was the Armstrong/Fat Pig and Armstrong/Cate interactions. The latter fall flat in the sequel and there's no equivalent to the former.

The Jedi Master

PS Screw it, I'm gonna reload NOLF1 again and replay it. I've realized just how much I loved that game!

Mar 8, 2003, 22:48
Re: Hmmm Mar 8, 2003, 22:48
Mar 8, 2003, 22:48

The Mime King was "eh."

Volkov: Do you know why I have called one of the world's deadliest assasins here?

Mime King: Is it because you want me to kill someone?

Mar 8, 2003, 23:00
Re: Hmmm Mar 8, 2003, 23:00
Mar 8, 2003, 23:00

The voice of Armstrong in NOLF was provided by Dave Stalker, a producer at Fox Interactive. The decision not to cast him in the sequel was mine.

I wrote the scripts for both games, so the stylistic differences you perceive are primarily the result of me wanting to avoid rehashing the original game or reusing the same jokes.

Mar 8, 2003, 23:50
Re: Hmmm Mar 8, 2003, 23:50
Mar 8, 2003, 23:50

I have no complaints over the "stylistic differences" in NOLF2 over 1, these are just facile nitpickings IMO (The "straight" japanese villainess was used to enhance the chuckload of irony in the Ohio map. Don't you get it?) My issue with NOLF2's characters is that they simply weren't given enough time to articulate themselves. I remember reading a preview of NOLF2 which stated that this time around there won't be any dilly-dally between missions, the cutscenes will be straight to the point. I was dissapointed at that since I actually liked the dilly-dally in the original. It fleshed out the characters more and gave the missions a greater sense of relevance, in addition to adding more humor.

Don't get me wrong though, I thoroughly enjoyed NOLF2 (Even to the point that the next heavily-praised game I played seemed pale in comparison.) The unusual set-piece battles and 60s-stylized architecture alone are worth whatever little deficiencies and bits of frustration I encountered along the way.

And not playing Cate in the expansion should be a good thing, for the sake of fresh perspectives.
"Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak

Woohoo!
Mar 9, 2003, 09:46
Woohoo! Mar 9, 2003, 09:46
Mar 9, 2003, 09:46

NOLF is still my favorite FPS to date. NOLF 2 was a fantastic sequel. The writing and voice acting for both games was far superior to any game I can think of at the moment.

NOLF is a hard game to top, and I think the Monolith guys did a hell of a job trying to. Did they top NOLF? Not for me, but they sure as hell made a great sequel.

The only thing about the sequel that I didn't care for was how easy it was to beat! I killed the final super soldier on my first attempt. And I always play FPS games at one difficulty level higher than the default to make the game more challenging. The ending just felt a little abrupt. But at least it was funny.

I will buy up any sequels they throw my way. And for the record: I thought the Mime King was hilarious.

Re: Woohoo!
Mar 9, 2003, 11:47
Re: Woohoo! Mar 9, 2003, 11:47
Mar 9, 2003, 11:47

Ah, so it was a Fox guy, not a Monolith guy. My opinion that the original voice was better still stands, although I can appreciate trying to avoid the pitfalls of a rehash. There's a fine line there that's difficult to handle. Take Men In Black II, for example. While it was a good movie, it failed to recapture the same feelings as the original. Look at any individual component and it seems equal to the task or better--yet put them together and you're left feeling something was missing.

Irony from the Japanese girl? Irony in an FPS? NOLF was unique in what it offered. I hardly think it was stale for the sequel. There aren't any NOLF copycat games at all. They didn't need to worry so much for NOLF2. I will say the RPG-style attribute increases was a welcome addition, and of course the game engine, artwork, etc was all much better. It really came down to game length, difficulty, and story which didn't match the first one. Oh, and the respawning enemies bugged me.

I will echo the sentiment that I too enjoyed the longer cutscenes of the original. I personally DESPISE the "instant gratification" mentality that often forces game devs to modify their games so those losers don't get too "bored" with not being able to "blow stuff up." Get Serious Sam then! For me, NOLF was the stealth, the comedy, and the story, with enough ability to blow stuff up to keep it from being a comic version of Thief.

Will I get the addon and/or an NOLF3? Hell yes! Even if I think that they slip still farther from the height of the first, I will. Why? Look at MOHAA's story, or rather shallow attempt at one. Look at RTCW's marginally better yet at least entertaining one. Look at Thief's or Deus Ex's excellent yet straight stories. There aren't enough good stories in current games. Back when adventures games like King's Quest were the rage, you had plenty. Now it's sacrificed all too often for fear that players "won't get it" or simply won't care.

Games need to take the Hollywood movie approach all the way, which to date they've only halfway managed. Not every game can shoot to be a blockbuster. Some are made as "art." Some are made because the director wants to get a frickin' Oscar, box office returns be damned!!!
I realize game dev costs mean that a perceived "niche" game can't get the budget of a MOHAA because they think it won't bring in enough to make a profit. I also realize with sorrow that these pubs have horribly skewed senses of what is profitable or not--apparently making 20% profit, wonderful in the general business world, is seen akin to losing money.
With the NOLF series and AvP2, Monolith has made itself one of my favorite devs, along with Raven, BIS, Ion Storm, and Croteam. I plan on getting Tron 2.0 partly for my love of the movie and partly because it's THEM. Thats why I'm so harshly critical of them. I hate when someone gets SO CLOSE and just misses by a hair!

The Jedi Master

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Older [  1  2  3  ] Newer