LithTech in the Endzone?

The Touchdown Entertainment Website is now the destination browsers will reach when trying www.lithtech.com, formerly the LithTech website. No actual announcement has been made yet about a name change, though this can also be inferred from their Partners and Licensees page where it says "LithTech is proud to work with all of our partners, and to help them create compelling 3D games and applications," and their Corporate Information Page describes LithTech CEO Jeffery "the" Hutt's LithTech résumé using the new company name. Continuing to play the name game, their Our Products page now calls their flagship product "Copperhead," while the Jupiter version of the engine retains that name.
View : : :
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: BZZZZT wrong
Mar 8, 2003, 13:46
Re: BZZZZT wrong Mar 8, 2003, 13:46
Mar 8, 2003, 13:46

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

M$ had exclusive rights to Directengine & RIOT, which later were renamed to Lithtech & Shogo, respectively. Monolith bought back the rights to both from M$ in 1998.

Here's a link to an old article:
http://www.the-chosen.com/news/home.asp?item=37

Re: BZZZZT wrong
Mar 8, 2003, 06:03
Re: BZZZZT wrong Mar 8, 2003, 06:03
Mar 8, 2003, 06:03

I didn't say that was always the case. They used to be one and the same, but they *haven't* been the same company for some time.

As for exclusive rights from M$ - you're talking a$$

This comment was edited on Mar 8, 11:53.

BZZZZT wrong
Mar 7, 2003, 21:47
BZZZZT wrong Mar 7, 2003, 21:47
Mar 7, 2003, 21:47

Lithtech was part of Monolith as far back as the days when Blood 1 was in development. Originally, the Lithtech egnine was somehow connected with Microsoft (I forget how, I think they were developing it for M$), but then during the development of Shogo, Monolith gained exclusive rights to Lithtech from Microsoft.

The guy who wrote Lithtech was stolen by Valve, & it has been speculated that TF2 will be powered by whatever that guy codes up for them.

Then later, Jason released some statement that since he was getting too busy, Lithtech was becoming a separate entity from Monolith, and that he had full confidence in the new CEO of Lithtech.

Re: No subject
Mar 7, 2003, 06:38
Re: No subject Mar 7, 2003, 06:38
Mar 7, 2003, 06:38

LithTech and Monolith were two different companies, they were not one and the same. If NOLF2 was fuxxored up, it was because of Monolith and not LithTech.

I think the name change is a good thing, the new engines look good (at least on spec) Proof will be on what games get produced with it!

Mar 7, 2003, 01:00
Re: No subject Mar 7, 2003, 01:00
Mar 7, 2003, 01:00

That chugging you experienced was because of the AI going into "search mode", it caused framerate loss of up to 99%. I ran quite a thread about that issue on the official website for awhile, developers said they were looking into it, promised to patch it yadda yadda, and in the end they never did anything about it. Bastards.

In any case, you can probably fix it by switching Vsync back on, or by lowering your soundcard acceleration (in DirectX).
Switching Vsync back on fixed the issue for me, I tested it well over a hundred times on the India level, no Vsync = 0.2fps, Vsync = 80fps.

Ofcourse, since patch 1.02, cutscenes no longer do anything, they just sit there.
Definitely pissed off with the way they fuxxored that game, both in release and with their patches (fix one thing, break another, ignore yet another).

Other than that, it was a great game.

As for the Lithtech getting a new name, it was to be expected. The whole Lithtech gig was still being run by guys from within Monolith, and presumably doing both just got a little too hectic. I'd imagine Monolith keeps making shooters, and the whateverthey'recalled guys now focus strictly on the design, licensing and support of the engine.

Creston

Mar 6, 2003, 23:45
Re: No subject Mar 6, 2003, 23:45
Mar 6, 2003, 23:45

Nah, NOLF2 2 was an excellent looking GAME. They could have run it through the Unreal engine and it would probably look just as good if not better.

The worst technical quirk I experienced with NOLF 2 was the way it started chugging slowly during certain scenes for no apparent reason. I solved the slow loading by disabling precaching.
"Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak

Hmmm
Mar 6, 2003, 22:19
Hmmm Mar 6, 2003, 22:19
Mar 6, 2003, 22:19

Seems like "ragdoll" physics are all in the rage now......

Mar 6, 2003, 22:03
Re: No subject Mar 6, 2003, 22:03
Mar 6, 2003, 22:03

To be honest I've never been impressed by LithTech.

I don't know I though NOLF2 had an excellent looking engine, albeit one with extremely slow load times.

Like the System Shock 2 reference.

Mar 6, 2003, 19:01
s1q
Re: No subject Mar 6, 2003, 19:01
Mar 6, 2003, 19:01
s1q

I agree. Jupiter is an engine designed for the PC specifically and this new Copperhead engine is also for the consoles, wich Jupiter wasn't. To be honest I've never been impressed by LithTech. Let's hope Copperhead can achieve the opposite.
I sing my song in their symphony of life,
but I am only a voice in their choir.

What is a thought, compared to a mind?

What is a drop of rain, compared to the storm?

No subject
Mar 6, 2003, 11:17
No subject Mar 6, 2003, 11:17
Mar 6, 2003, 11:17

I think there are two totally different engines and not different versions of the same one. Copperhead seems to be a totally new product and nothing to do with Jupiter (from a tech point of view)

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older