MoH: Allied Assault Sequel?

New Medal of Honor Games Announced on Computer and Video Games follows up on last week's revelation of Rising Sun, the first of a pair of upcoming console Medal of Honor games (story), by saying that the console project's "formal" unveiling today will be accompanied by the announcement of a new PC game follow-up to the World War II shooter, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.
View : : :
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: OK.. ok.
Mar 6, 2003, 04:23
Re: OK.. ok. Mar 6, 2003, 04:23
Mar 6, 2003, 04:23

The Pacific game is being done by EALA I think, but the new expansion is being done by TKO. Justin Chin (IIRC the name correctly)... he did the original Jedi Knight game when he was with Lucas Arts. I expect good things from him.

OK.. ok.
Mar 6, 2003, 01:22
OK.. ok. Mar 6, 2003, 01:22
Mar 6, 2003, 01:22

Since you all want to know my opinion... I'll just say it. Spearhead was AWFUL. It had all of the production value but none of the heart that it takes to make 'anything' great. MOH:AA is good, but not great. The scripted sequences do nothing more than make you wonder if you are doing right by the game instead of making the right choice. Spearhead took everything that was bad in MOH:AA and put a super duper zoom lens right on it. Since 2015 have little to do with the sequal, you can expect the next game to be one to .. to.... don't know.

Re: Am I Alone On This?
Mar 4, 2003, 04:27
Re: Am I Alone On This? Mar 4, 2003, 04:27
Mar 4, 2003, 04:27

5 new Medal of Honor games are to be releasead, the first should be before x-mas.

Read www.planetmedalofhonor.com for all the info or read this:

That's right folks, our correspondent, Brandon "Coolballer" Von Kriegelstein has got all the information, and fed it through me - so I'll do my best to recall it all. I'll have the FULL information sheet up tomorrow when he gets home from his trip and has it all typed up.

The press conference revolved mainly around Medal Of Honor: Rising Sun, and most of you non-console fans may be tired of hearing about it, but fear no more! The game is due out on the Xbox, GameCube, and PS2 before Christmas, however - there will also be a PC release about a month later! Told you PC fans not to fear! From the video footage of Rising Sun, the press were able to see the Pearl Harbor bombing, the player going prone (about time!), and bayonet fighting! Also, developers mentioned that there will be a night-time jungle beach landing, where you'll only be able to see an enemy by a muzzle flash. On top of that, there'll be an interactive environment full of animals, aligators (that will attack you and your team), as well as other death traps of nature. The sequal to Rising Sun (not an expansion pack), will be released about one year later, following the other brother. Prepare for hand-to-hand combat folks, the Pacific is here!

Next up, is the news that you've all really been waiting for, the sequals (that's right, more than one!) to Allied Assault! The first sequal, entitled, "Pacific Assault" will take place in the Pacific and cover the other theaters of war that Rising Sun will not. One year after Pacific Assault's release, another sequal will be released, probably covering a totally different theater of war all together. Details are still very sketchy on those titles, however - Pacific Assault will hopefully be released before Christmas.

Finally, I'm glad to report that there'll be an expansion pack to Medal Of Honor Allied Assault: Spearhead, which is currently untitled, and will also hopefully be released before Christmas and patch up the current state of Spearhead.

Just as you think I'm about done - I'm not, but you'll want to hear this, believe me. All the new titles (with possible exception to the Spearhead expansion) will be using a brand new engine, capable of handing the environment and all the great graphical effects, which is truly, exciting news!

That's the news for now from the press conference held in California earlier today. Brandon will be home by tomorrow, and will cover any news I missed. Talk back in the forum by using the comment feature!

Update: A few things I forgot to mention to you, just came to me. First off, you'll be able to use flares to illuminate a certain area in all of the following games. Along with that, all future games will come with a co-op mode, so you can play online and/or side-by-side (console gamers) with your friends!

Mar 4, 2003, 00:21
Re: Am I Alone On This? Mar 4, 2003, 00:21
Mar 4, 2003, 00:21

The only thing that let me down in MOHAA was that it's entire concept was based around a movie-like linearity. The "feel of WWII" was only achieved through the visceral and frustrating nature of combat. That sense of bewilderment and confusion entangled with the gripping need for courageous decisiveness which I've read about in books doesn't exist. The game just naively pushes you from one battle into the next, betraying the fact that individual acts of heroism and not distanced dictation were in many cases what kept the Allied soldiers fighting.

MOHAA's singleplayer didn't rise at all above RTCW's IMO. Both were good, but not exceptional. Spearhead was in the same gameplay league but had much better presentation (More setpiece battles, better cutscenes, a few unique situations, etc.) Too bad it was extremely short.

I agree that the Omaha beach map was too heavily pimped, since it could have been much much more than a drastically simplified ripoff of Saving Private Ryan. Aside from the realistically copius amounts of blood and gore, we could have seen spectacular fire support from from the Navy on the way in and while we were stranded at the shingle, a couple of tanks perhaps providing cover but eventually getting blown up, getting off the ramp in 6ft of water and watching swirling bullet trails as you frantically try to inflate your Mae West (lifevest), engineers and SeeBees simultaneously blowing up rows of obstacles, more sidecommentary by fellow soldiers on how everything went wrong, etc. Basically, more of what really happened.
"Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak

No subject
Mar 3, 2003, 23:08
No subject Mar 3, 2003, 23:08
Mar 3, 2003, 23:08

So is the new PC MoH the 'Rising Sun' one announced today? The announcements make no mention of a PC version.

Mar 3, 2003, 21:56
Re: Am I Alone On This? Mar 3, 2003, 21:56
Mar 3, 2003, 21:56

I enjoyed MoH:AA and thought Spearhead was "OK". I look forward to a continuation of the series on pc. I think they did a better job capturing the feel of WW II than others.

*edit* Interestingly enough I found a new start up developer working on a torque engine WW II game, with realism in mind:

http://www.invasionworks.com/

They have done a lot of mapping for DoD and have decided to develop their own game -- Green Light: Airborne Operations. It will be interesting to see how it comes out. The screenshots look good so far and it sounds promising.

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 22:03.

Mar 3, 2003, 20:56
Re: Am I Alone On This? Mar 3, 2003, 20:56
Mar 3, 2003, 20:56

I think that Spearhead shared the same poor gameplay as MOH:AA, albeit not quite as broken and benefiting from lowered expectations. The levels are really designed well and the scripts have good intentions, but everything else really needs to be re-worked. Medkits, idiotic AI, every enemies not even having to look at you while they score headshots, chaotic pacing - you name it.

Noting that I am still a FPS whore and will likely purchase future MoH games :o,
Ray

---------------------------------------
Don't eat the Menchi!11111
http://users.ign.com/collection/RayMarden
In life, I want my mother to be well, to be with the woman I love, and to have fun with friends.
I am sorry, but at what point do the hating and murdering come into play???
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

No subject
Mar 3, 2003, 16:55
No subject Mar 3, 2003, 16:55
Mar 3, 2003, 16:55

I'm surprised they've only done one MoH expansion (so far).

Re: eh...
Mar 3, 2003, 16:46
Re: eh... Mar 3, 2003, 16:46
Mar 3, 2003, 16:46

Have you LOOKED at the PC game sales charts at all in the last year?
There is no WAY EA would fail to exploit it with addons and a sequel. This is EA after all, king of the "change 5 things and increment the title by 1 year and release at full price" practice.

The Jedi Master

No subject
Mar 3, 2003, 16:36
No subject Mar 3, 2003, 16:36
Mar 3, 2003, 16:36

I enjoyed both games but the shortness of the sequel, and the buginess, was indeed a letdown. As far as being a major letdown for the fans I don't believe it was. It was too short but the gameplay, plus the MP, was\is a lot of fun. Why someone who didn't appreciate the series hopes they don't make a sequel is kind of a selfish thought. There's plenty of games I didn't like, or at least care for, but if they choose to make a sequel for the fans (almost 10,000 can be found online at any given time) who enjoyed it then more power to them. I'm curious as to the engine and whether it will be a full blown standalone effort is intriguing. I, too, hope that EA keeps at an arms length distance of it's development. Pacific theatre here we come...

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 16:39.

Re: No subject
Mar 3, 2003, 16:27
Re: No subject Mar 3, 2003, 16:27
Mar 3, 2003, 16:27

Most of you don't even KNOW how badly Spearhead sucked. It's just plain bad.

Mar 3, 2003, 15:18
Re: Am I Alone On This? Mar 3, 2003, 15:18
Mar 3, 2003, 15:18

Spearhead was a lot better than Allied assault I agree. The only thing to complain about is that it was too short.

Dan
Intel 486SX, Trident video, 8MB RAM, 14" Generic Monitor, 100 MB HDD, Windows 3.11
ExcessDan

Re: P.S.
Mar 3, 2003, 14:47
Wolfen

Re: P.S. Mar 3, 2003, 14:47
Mar 3, 2003, 14:47
 Wolfen

"Pretty sure that they said in an interview with HomeLan that the Xbox version will come first but that a PC version will come some months afterwards for sure."

It may have been decided since I left there that it will be a fact for release of PC. Like I said dont quote me on any of this. I am only speaking of my experiance while I was there. I still cant talk about certain things thats for sure.

Btw to whom said EA bought the rights, EA has been doing Medal of Honor games for a while. The IP was originally owned by Dream Works I believe, and they have done several MOH's for the console before the PC version was made. Wether EA ended up owning the IP before those is unknown to me, but I recall them owning it before they had 2015 do the pc version.

Hyadus, there were alot of techniques used in MOHAA that were pretty groundbreaking in the sense of design for level designers, and what programmers did for the engine compared to other companies. Personal experience of the game was fun myself. But thats just my opinion now hehe. You like some, you hate some.

eh...
Mar 3, 2003, 14:12
eh... Mar 3, 2003, 14:12
Mar 3, 2003, 14:12

I was surprised they made Spearhead, personally.
I thought the first one, with the exception of the HEAVILY
pimped beach scene(which was still not as good as touted)
was highly unoriginal and unrevolutionary.

Maybe I missed something along the way, but the game
sucked(yes, IMO). It was like a really bad solo version
of Hidden & Dangerous.

I hope they scrap the sequel.

-Hyatus
"da da da"

Mar 3, 2003, 13:51
Re: Am I Alone On This? Mar 3, 2003, 13:51
Mar 3, 2003, 13:51

I was blown away by Spearhead. I thought it was a far superior game to MOH:AA (although for the money, the singleplayer game should have been way longer). I thought it was some of the best level design I've ever seen, with varied gameplay and great eye candy.

To each his own, I guess. I loved Allied Assault, but Spearhead totally blew me away

Thats the funniest thing i have heard all day. You are a very rare breed of Spearhead fans, to most hardcore gamers it was a major dissapointed.

Could i go as far to say it is a crock of shite?

Am I Alone On This?
Mar 3, 2003, 13:40
Am I Alone On This? Mar 3, 2003, 13:40
Mar 3, 2003, 13:40

I was blown away by Spearhead. I thought it was a far superior game to MOH:AA (although for the money, the singleplayer game should have been way longer). I thought it was some of the best level design I've ever seen, with varied gameplay and great eye candy.

To each his own, I guess. I loved Allied Assault, but Spearhead totally blew me away.

Re: Erm...
Mar 3, 2003, 12:48
Re: Erm... Mar 3, 2003, 12:48
Mar 3, 2003, 12:48

A quick summary for the confused here:

2015 made MOH:AA, EA Games then published it.
EA bought the rights to the series
EA Los Angeles then developed Spearhead and published it (2015 did NOT make this addon)
2015 continue with their Vietnam game

God, I love a dead horse...
Mar 3, 2003, 12:45
God, I love a dead horse... Mar 3, 2003, 12:45
Mar 3, 2003, 12:45

I'm too tired to rang on EA today. Until otherwise noted just assume that I hate 'em.

Re: P.S.
Mar 3, 2003, 12:04
Re: P.S. Mar 3, 2003, 12:04
Mar 3, 2003, 12:04

Pretty sure that they said in an interview with HomeLan that the Xbox version will come first but that a PC version will come some months afterwards for sure.

Erm...
Mar 3, 2003, 11:35
Erm... Mar 3, 2003, 11:35
Mar 3, 2003, 11:35

Wasn't EA just the publisher for these games, or did they take over the development after MOH:AA?

All I can say is 'oh god, not another one'. I just didn't enjoy MOH at all. It's typical EA business practice to milk these cash cows for as long as possible. (Re: Sims, mainly)

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older