Motor City Offline

The Motor City Online Website has news that this massively multiplayer car collecting and racing game is gearing down their service, and will cease operations as of August 29. There is a Team Comment on this topic that explains how the game's wrap-up will unfold, how billing will operate, and the reasons for this move, saying basically the game was "losing steam" (missing the obvious gas analogy). Electronic Arts is offering subscribers a free copy of either The Sims Online or Ultima Online, provided they accept the offer prior to the end of MCO billing.
View : : :
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

No subject
Mar 4, 2003, 18:31
No subject Mar 4, 2003, 18:31
Mar 4, 2003, 18:31

Project Gothem Racing 2 will be LIVE Enabled and is focused on racing. And Star Wars Galaxies is coming to XB LIVE and PS2 ONLINE as the first console MMORPG. And so is planetside. Wether they are cross platform is unknown (will you be able to play a PS2 user from an XB).

Intelligence and Innovation?
Mar 4, 2003, 18:13
Intelligence and Innovation? Mar 4, 2003, 18:13
Mar 4, 2003, 18:13

One Word: Mafia. Go buy it.

"I like to play female characters in MMORPGs to trick men into homosexual chat." - space captain, June 18th, 2009.

Console MMO*
Mar 1, 2003, 11:48
Console MMO* Mar 1, 2003, 11:48
Mar 1, 2003, 11:48

Since the xbox online offering requires broadband, you'd think MMO* developers would be all over xbox as the platform to use for MMOs, It eliminates all the mismatched hardware issues, gaurantees they have broadband for online activities, has a harddrive for updates. It's surprising developers are still screwing around with PCs for MMO*s. I'd guess and succesfull MMO*s in the future will be xbox based. Xbox is the most hardcore type console out and there for makes it the platform of choice for the highest potential reward in developing and MMO experience. As an owner of all platforms and baised towards none, I would hope developers and who ever is funding/ok'ing their paths to fruition would pay attention to the details such as Joe Compaqs, destroyas, consoles, and such.

Until someone creates a great online racing game on the xbox, FOCUSED ON RACING, not other schinanigans. I'll be playing the best thing to it, Gran Turismo 3, i-linked with 5 others. I still can't believe they didn't incorporate using your own garage for i-link play.

I'll keep praying for online Sega GT and/or Gran Turismo ??? with proper i-link configurability....

closing down MMOG's
Mar 1, 2003, 06:15
NLo
closing down MMOG's Mar 1, 2003, 06:15
Mar 1, 2003, 06:15
NLo

hmmm...

Fighting Legends?

10six ?

Don't know if those were the first to close down, but MCO isn't the first.

I am unable to see 'bigtime' publisher as anything else than 'box-shovelers': I know they got the money to invest in MMOG's, but truly doubt if those publishers business models match with MMOG developers needs. Maybe an MMOG like ShadowBane will proof to be a change... allthough I doubt it :p

Grtz,

NLoChrissieG

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 06:17.

Re: #13 response
Mar 1, 2003, 01:49
Re: #13 response Mar 1, 2003, 01:49
Mar 1, 2003, 01:49

The vast majority of the MMO games in development right now are going to fail. Here's why:

1. Most of them don't have a strong franchise already in place. SWG is going to fare better than most MMO games because it's Star Wars. EverQuest will continue to do well because it has an unshakeable following. The Sims Online will probably keep going because it's The Sims. But everybody else, including Sony, is going to have an uphill struggle.

2. There are too many MMO games competing for dollars. You only have so many people who are willing to spend an initial amount for a box and a disk, and then a monthly fee on top of that. I think a lot of publishers believe that they'll make enough money to justify attrition because the disaffected will be replaced by the curious. With this kind of mentality, you aren't going to see a lot of time and money spent on upkeep and new content. You _are_ going to see more MCO-like failures.

3. Most gamers do not have broadband. Most internet users do not have broadband. MMO games will lose a huge percentage of dial-up users because they'll be too frustrated to continue playing. (This is why, until broadband or some equivalent becomes truly affordable and accessible, you won't see the game engine model replacing the 2D model.) This is really the number one reason why a lot of MMO games will be selected for extinction -- people who use dial-up to play Hearts on Yahoo will think they can compete against broadband users in 3D environments, and they will be quickly disabused of this quaint notion. Publishers and developers live in a broadband world. Joe Compaq lives in a dial-up world. There are millions of Joe Compaqs but only a few thousand Joe Hardcore 1337 {E33^estroyas. If publishers can make do with those few thousand, hooray.

Re: Lets not forget...
Feb 28, 2003, 23:09
Re: Lets not forget... Feb 28, 2003, 23:09
Feb 28, 2003, 23:09

You think this is bad?

Ok, holy shit, you won't beleive what I found. Theres a freakin huge froum for people to go who are into this game. It's like some neo-hackers forum, They won't let it die!! . Anyway check this shit out. Be sure to sign up, or you can't view the how they they want to continue on there own server. Pure Evil :p And Crazy.

http://forums.cgshock.com/?referrerid=Phobos

~Peace

Re: Lets not forget...
Feb 28, 2003, 22:55
Re: Lets not forget... Feb 28, 2003, 22:55
Feb 28, 2003, 22:55

Well hopefully the implosion is immenient and the next 6months will be time4 spent picking up the pieces and by the holiday season of 2004, we might seen some decent games.

It really is a shame. I still have some of the EOA Further magazines from the 80s when EA was making and publishing greats like Mail Order Monsters, Racing Destruuction Set, and Star Flight.

The King's children have ruined the kingdom! Where's the guillotine?

Lets not forget...
Feb 28, 2003, 16:37
Lets not forget... Feb 28, 2003, 16:37
Feb 28, 2003, 16:37

....Majesty. Does anyone remember that one? It sounded so cool and ambitious when it was announced until I read the EA part..then it was obvious it was going to hell. Hope another, accomplished developed (Microsoft or Sony) pick up on the idea, its a really original concept. The whole idea of a game that involves the user into a world with them recieving faxes and phone calls and the like.

Oh well, I bet the EA execs are wondering what happened to the MILLIONS they invested into online gaming ("the next big thing") and have now lost.

Re: The REAL reason MCO died (from a user)
Feb 28, 2003, 11:37
Re: The REAL reason MCO died (from a user) Feb 28, 2003, 11:37
Feb 28, 2003, 11:37

my son left this note on the dresser:

EA also ruined madden for the pc. 2002 version let you play online for free and it was the greatest fun id had playing a football game in a long time. so guess what. 2003 madden they MADE YOU PAY PER MONTH TO PLAY 1 ON 1 FOOTBALL GAMES!!!!!! THERES NO ONLINE WORLD TO SPEAK OF!!!!! Those bastards at EA are singlehandedly trying to ruin all forms of online games. AND NOW THEY HAVE A HOLD OF NASCAR!

EA, you receive the official fredrickson

STAMP OF DISAPPROVAL

PS: FUCK YOU EA

The REAL reason MCO died (from a user)
Feb 28, 2003, 10:40
The REAL reason MCO died (from a user) Feb 28, 2003, 10:40
Feb 28, 2003, 10:40

...was that the shiftless bastards at EA kept removing the support team. The developers of MCO (Trouble, Cadillac, G-man, and so on) really DID care about the game, and they wanted the fanbase to work it out. The problem is, any time any of the devs would speak against EA's company policy, they would strangely vanish from the website and forums. No reason, they just left. And then 6 months later you'd hear about them getting shitcanned.

Another problem was that the game simply didn't have any competition. It was a very "everybody wins" kind of thing. For instance, the most popular racing type wasn't competitive racing, but something called "team trials". Basically everyone goes as fast as they can around the track, and if their average time is high, they get money. Everybody wins!!!
I think that's why MMORPG games are sucking right now. If there's no adversary to go up against, if everyone is going to win and get fabulous amounts of money, what's the point?

The companies want everyone to "win", of course. It keeps everyone happy. Nobody wants to be a loser.

But the thing is, in games, there HAS to be a loser. If there isn't a loser, there IS NO GAME. Simple as that. It's deeper than it sounds, trust me.

MCO had a great concept, and a great dev team to start. I jumped ship around 6 months ago, right before they added the import cars. But then EA had to meddle with it until it was dead in the water. Not advertising the game helped alot too. Does anyone remember an ad for MCO? Didn't think so. It was doomed from the start, and now EA will mark it up as there not being enough interest for a racing game.

Where the hell is EA Online going to go from here? Sims online is a dud, MCO is cancelled, Earth and Beyond is, from what I hear, quite sterile (no PvP at all? Come on), Ultima Online is 6+ years old, Ultima Online 2 was cancelled just as it was becoming promising... sigh.

Piss off, EA. You're ruining it for everybody.

Josh

Re: Racing Games Online
Feb 27, 2003, 14:06
Re: Racing Games Online Feb 27, 2003, 14:06
Feb 27, 2003, 14:06

I love race games where you can purchase performance and visual mods. Makes it much more fun. NFS Porsche Unleashed (or whatever) was kick ass because of that.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

Feb 27, 2003, 13:53
Re: Racing Games Online Feb 27, 2003, 13:53
Feb 27, 2003, 13:53

If Papy can't make and Nascar games, I hope we get to see how well they can adapt their very narrow physics setup to sports cars. I'd like to see them give a Gran Turismo like genre a go, where cars have much more dynamic setups to them, FF, FR, RR, 4wd, Light, Heavy, dynamic power outputs.

Re: #13 response
Feb 27, 2003, 12:31
Re: #13 response Feb 27, 2003, 12:31
Feb 27, 2003, 12:31

Pedle Zelnip:

I see what you're getting at here that this is just another chapter of the evolution of gaming, but

Yeah, I understand that the people spending their hard earned cash on MCO and enjoying it would be upset. As everyone has expressed here, I think EA might have been able to simply scale it back to a smaller community and leave it online for a while. I don’t work there, so I don’t know for sure.

Hmm, well can't say I have the same enthusiasm you do for this one. I've generally found all of the Star Wars games to be somewhat hit and miss

Well, It's just a gut feeling I am getting from reading (for days) about everything they are putting in the game, all the detail and so on. I don't think Sony is screwing around. They saw how Everquest did, and now they want to expand on that idea with this game, and they want to do it right. They know that people will pay for and play an MMO game like this if it will sweep them out of their boring lives...off to a far away land where they can have an "alternate identity" or whatever. I think it's a great idea. It’s very possible that SWG will be a flop, and 100% probably that lots of people won’t like it. Still, I think this game has huge potential. What theme other than Star Wars can combine the sword wielding (light sabers), magical, excitement of medieval times with high tech guns, spaceships, and other technology. I think this game has something to offer the Sci-Fi shooter players as well as the traditional RPG players. I guess we will all find out in a few short months.

Someone here asked why people would even want an MMO game like SWG. The answer is simple: The same reason they go to movies or read books. How many people truly get to live lives that push the envelope? Most people have to work in seriously boring jobs to bring home the bacon, and the idea that they can escape, even if electronically, to exotic worlds is very appealing. There really are several reasons. As you can tell by my name "rock climber" I'm an outdoors guy who doesn't really need to "escape" as much, but I still enjoy it, and I will enjoy being able to maintain an alter ego in a game world like this. Sure, some people will see the game as a pointless waste of time, but still there is a big market for it.

Have you been over to the Planetside forums? They have boards for each of the 3 factions in Planetside, and people actually get on there, in character, and have arguments about which faction is in the right. Does it much matter that this world lives on a server farm? Nope. In fact I honestly believe differences between these electronic worlds and the "real world" will blur as the years pass. I have several friends online that I know as if we grew up together, though I have never even seen their face. I'm sure many of you have similar friends.

But is the poor support of VRML on websites because of a limitation of VRML, or is it a combination of technical concerns

Coming from a web designer point of view, VRML is a pain in the arse to work with. If the tools were easier to use, I think it would do better. Obviously the current tools in place for making game maps are very complex too, and that would have to change. That is part of the development process though. I just don’t see how VRML can hold a candle to a game engine that has been modified or transformed into what I am proposing here. The simple reason is because people aren’t throwing time and money into VRML like they are games. I once read an article about Robots, and how they will eventually make it into all of our homes in the not so distant future. The first step is happening right now. ENTERTAINMENT. Consumers will buy the first robots for their homes mostly because it will be a “gee whiz” expensive toy that is entertaining. Look at the amount of money that is spent in the USA on entertainment. Look how much we pay our Entertainers compared to teachers, policemen firemen, etc. Clearly video games (along with their engines) will evolve faster just because of the money and interest alone. VRML cannot possibly keep up. Maybe I am going about this wrong. Maybe “VRML” itself needs to be combined with a game engine. Certainly one would want to use VRML as a model for the interactivity anyway when converting a game engine.

As for the other 3d technologies out there, most of them are WAY to heavy and involved to be used at the consumer level. Game engines are a natural fit, one that is already right in front of us.

Someone else on this board mentioned that the web will never go "3d". I disagree. 3D is what humans are used to and feel most comfortable with. I agree that 2d web won't go away, clearly the "website" is the most efficient way to disperse large amount of information, but there will be a huge 3d web as well. It's not just niche market either. If the tools are easy enough to use, you will see the majority of "personal" websites go that direction, along with public and commercial sites which have something to gain from using a 3d space. The simple fact of the matter is that people will be able to bring you further into their world in 3d, which is ultimately what the website is all about in the first place. All you have to do is spend a few hours surfing random sites and you are bound to come across come Quicktime VR, 3d Flash, or something else that is presenting information in 3d form. In envision a day when I can take real items down to the local “3D scanner shop” and have 3d models instantly rendered to be used as content for my 3d space online.

I admit, that I have a very optimistic and hopeful outlook on the internet and the future, but I think a lot of it makes sense.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

Feb 27, 2003, 11:28
Re: Racing Games Online Feb 27, 2003, 11:28
Feb 27, 2003, 11:28

"Maybe EA's decision makers have intelligence beyond our comprehension. Probably not though."

Overall, maybe so if you're talking about the game *business*. But if you're talking about comprehension/knowledge of the Online & gaming *market* I'd say not.

Having been involved with the company that was able to sucessfully develop/deliver the worlds first MMPOG playable over the Internet (and not a private network) and having worked with Origin/EA's online gaming products I can tell you EA didn't then (and still doesn't) 'get it' when it comes to online gaming.

Instead EA's thought processes are dictated (if not consumed) purely by ROI. That's good for business but a disaster for potential innovation. They are just not going to take the risk. That's why you don't see many (if any) decent PC games released the past year or so... just 'new & improved' rehashes of the same ol/same ol. Unfortunately it now costs so much to develop a game (millions upon millions) and at such a tremendous financial risk all the independant 'I've got a great idea!' game studios are pretty much a thing of the past. That's why only studios that Sony, EA, (etc.) have bought out, are only cranking out 're-runs'

EA constantly states they intend to be the 'Disney of the gaming biz'. Like Disney, EA will not risk being truly innovative themselves (too much financial risk). Instead you will see EA continue to buy/absorb licenses & any already successful developer studio worth their creative salt only to have their offerings be 'pablumized' for the lowest common denominator masses.

Speaking of MCO, I can't wait to see what EA does with their newly acquired NASCAR license. If NASCAR Revolution is any indication I'm sure they will meet/exceed what Payparus ever offered with their NASCAR series (/snide off).

If you want the last/best NASCAR game that will possibly ever be made you better run out and pick up NASCAR 2003 season. Since EA now owns the license for NASCAR Papy cannot develop any more NASCAR games.

Racing Games Online
Feb 27, 2003, 10:36
Racing Games Online Feb 27, 2003, 10:36
Feb 27, 2003, 10:36

I hope this tick mark in the history books isn't used as statisitic by the think tanks to prevent any future online racing games making it to market.

I also hope that The Sims tanks as well and EA is left with there first child UO. All their decisions are decisevly leading them to failure. What about UO2? and BT3025? They know the right decisions to make, they just decide to take every other possible route.

Maybe EA's decision makers have intelligence beyond our comprehension. Probably not though. Maybe Failure is their goal? Probably not though. Maybe they'll get a clue. Probably not though.

The next 2 years are gonna be fun
Feb 27, 2003, 10:17
The next 2 years are gonna be fun Feb 27, 2003, 10:17
Feb 27, 2003, 10:17

... tee hee hee!

The most engrossing racing game ever
Feb 26, 2003, 21:46
The most engrossing racing game ever Feb 26, 2003, 21:46
Feb 26, 2003, 21:46

It was from SquareSoft,a PlayStation game called Racing Lagoon.
Sorta like Final Fantasy,Initial D and Gran Turismo mixed together,which was suprisingly engrossing and addictive.

Set in the Tokyo area,about the illegal street racing scene.
You gain experience and money from winning street races,which is not pumped into the character,but into the parts installed in your current vehicle which gain expansion slots for you to bolt on additional performance modules. It has plotlines,sub-missions and subgames,for example,the chicken race,in which two vehicles race towards the end of a jetty,to touch the finishing line 1st,without going into the drink.

This was really a game which was very nice. Too bad part 2 never materialised. IMO,it has great online multiplayer potential,although i never played any online game in which u must pay a subscription to.

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 21:49.

Re: Heh
Feb 26, 2003, 21:32
Re: Heh Feb 26, 2003, 21:32
Feb 26, 2003, 21:32

Sad thing is, all there online offerings suffer from the same malady, too much clinical analysis and no passion. Ea's games come from board room analysis of statistics from research studies. They're presumed formulae for success are stale, boring, trite, and headed for the poop chute. After all the consolidations going on right now and the poor economy there are not many quality developers out there, they've all been assimilated.

Maybe it will all come crashing down like in the 80s and we can start fresh in about 5 years..

Anyone else notice...
Feb 26, 2003, 21:27
Anyone else notice... Feb 26, 2003, 21:27
Feb 26, 2003, 21:27

That they are just offering Ultima Online and Sims Online free, but not offering Earth and Beyond?

I too was in the MCO beta and after enjoying the majority of the need for speed series, I just couldn't stand this product. The game was on it's last leg when it started adding imports to the vehicle line.

Heh
Feb 26, 2003, 21:26
Heh Feb 26, 2003, 21:26
Feb 26, 2003, 21:26

For a moment i thought they were gonna make an offline version of this game.......

Sims Online? Ack!
Wonder which gearhead would wanna play a potty training sim when they could tweak gear ratios and suspension settings....

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older