UT2003 & C&C Generals "Indexed"

German gaming site GameStar.de sends word that Unreal Tournament 2003 and Command & Conquer: Generals have each been placed on Germany's "index" of games that cannot be sold to minors or even publicly advertised or displayed in that country. At this point it is not clear whether the version of UT2003 placed on the index is the original game, or the updated version that Epic's Steven Polge recently mentioned was in the works to avoid just this eventuality (story). Update: German site GamesWeb sends word that the indexing of C&C Generals is still considered temporary at this point, and a final determination of this game's fate in Germany is yet to be handed down.
View : : :
85 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Censorship
Mar 2, 2003, 21:59
s1q
Censorship Mar 2, 2003, 21:59
Mar 2, 2003, 21:59
s1q

Sure, keep the violent shooting games out of the shops, but continue to show images on television of maimed Iraqi children, war, and violent movies on Easter Sunday:P
When Kingping came out with all the hassle about its violent and 18+ content, just at that time, the BBC showed Reservoir Dogs on -read- Easter Sunday

[IMG]http://usuarios.lycos.es/bigredone/sig/s1q.jpg[/IMG]
I sing my song in their symphony of life,
but I am only a voice in their choir.

What is a thought, compared to a mind?

What is a drop of rain, compared to the storm?

Re: Boiling more animals?
Mar 2, 2003, 21:55
Re: Boiling more animals? Mar 2, 2003, 21:55
Mar 2, 2003, 21:55

Actually, the scream from boiling lobsters is the air escaping from the shell, so it's not the lobster screaming any more than a kettle screams when you biol water.

Anyway, just slightly more on topic, "Film Ratings... fecking nazis in the (insert random country) government"

Boiling more animals?
Mar 2, 2003, 01:24
Boiling more animals? Mar 2, 2003, 01:24
Mar 2, 2003, 01:24

errr.. yea.. um.. besides frogs, there is another animal which is even more often cooked, easier to get ahold of, and still is a great analogy for an increasingly oppressed country: Lobster. unlike silent and unsuspecting frogs, lobsters react the same way to fresh boiling water unless they are slowly cooked but do have one slight difference, they scream loudly if they are merely thrown in. yes, its true.. go get yourself some live lobster and try it out for yourself, while quite entertaining at first it quickly becomes depressing and fills you with guilt. (or thirst for more...for all you patrick bateman wannabe's out there.)

just thought id add to the fire.

oh and btw.. fuck indexing altogether..theres no reason...not gonna get into it.. but basically, if ur european, you understand the french revolution..."Oppress the people and watch them revolt, unless you do it with reason and care.."...
oh and Anon MUST be old and had lived through WWII..no one else could have that much hate for a German (im German, and i enjoy seeing fear in little stupid shits like you, makes it easier for me to punk you.)

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 01:38.
-------------
"Victims...arent we all?"

spam? wtf is this site coming to
Mar 2, 2003, 00:35
spam? wtf is this site coming to Mar 2, 2003, 00:35
Mar 2, 2003, 00:35

people think that putting spam on the comments section is an effective tool to drive commerce? say it with me... "I AM A RETARD!"

Re: Censorship
Mar 1, 2003, 21:07
Re: Censorship Mar 1, 2003, 21:07
Mar 1, 2003, 21:07

Moog Operator: There was this movie called OfficeSpace, and in that movie some Human Resources people are brought in to fire some people. They interview Tom and he sounds a lot like you in his response. OH THE IRONY!

http://funwavs.com/wavfile.php?quote=2314&sound=59

Re: Boiling a frog
Mar 1, 2003, 15:14
FU
Re: Boiling a frog Mar 1, 2003, 15:14
Mar 1, 2003, 15:14
FU

hahah spam

look Ok, holy shit, you won't beleive what I found. Theres a freakin huge froum for people to go who are into freelancer. It's like some neo-hackers forum, FREAKING OBESSES with the whole game. . Anyway check this shit out. Be sure to sign up, or you can't view the how they bas ANYONE that says anything bad. Pure Evil :p

http://forums.cgshock.com/?referrerid=Phobos

Feb 28, 2003, 23:06
Re: Boiling a frog Feb 28, 2003, 23:06
Feb 28, 2003, 23:06

Ok, holy shit, you won't beleive what I found. Theres a freakin huge froum for people to go who are into how games are always indexed. It's like some neo-hackers forum. Anyway check this shit out. Be sure to sign up, or you can't view the indexing spider forum.

http://forums.cgshock.com/?referrerid=Phobos

~Peace

Feb 28, 2003, 12:31
Re: Boiling a frog Feb 28, 2003, 12:31
Feb 28, 2003, 12:31

Btw guys, you may feel weird with rock climber always referring to Fredrickson thats only coz our daddy is a big shot on Fredricksoncommunications.com

Its some kind of a trauma, an old guy tried to do something naughty with rock climber one day he went alone to the company to see daddy, the company's name got stuck in his head, every now and then he babbles about Fredrickson.

I wouldnt want to be on your place rock.
We all know you suffer from that experience.

With love,

cock

i am rock climber's brotha, hell yeah!!
--
cock climber aka rock climber

Feb 28, 2003, 12:26
Re: Boiling a frog Feb 28, 2003, 12:26
Feb 28, 2003, 12:26

I knew you would bring mom and dad to the conversation.
Mom only said that she doesnt love you because you broke her car's windshield.

Haha, youre such a dork when it comes to baseball.

Dont be mad rock climber

--

Feb 28, 2003, 11:22
Re: Boiling a frog Feb 28, 2003, 11:22
Feb 28, 2003, 11:22

Fredrickson(cock climber),

You hit the nail on the head. I removed it because nobody wanted to hear my political view. You figured it out all by your self. Be proud.

Your stupid posts may entertain the "slower" people around here, but to me you are a typical kid looking for attention. Give it up, you can't make mommy and daddy love you by posting here.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

Feb 27, 2003, 21:28
Re: Boiling a frog Feb 27, 2003, 21:28
Feb 27, 2003, 21:28

rock climber, i may be your bro but you're still stupid

the whole email me at whatever thing is stupid

who cares about your so called political commentary ??

no one gives a boiled frog.

--

Re: Stupid Censorship
Feb 27, 2003, 19:54
Re: Stupid Censorship Feb 27, 2003, 19:54
Feb 27, 2003, 19:54

BTW, please take note that the German government is pretty successful at curbing violent behaviour, or at least more successful than certain other governments. Of course, I doubt the index is any major contribution to that. But on the other hand, I haven't studied psychology, and I won't act as if I had, either.

Stupid Censorship
Feb 27, 2003, 17:49
Stupid Censorship Feb 27, 2003, 17:49
Feb 27, 2003, 17:49

The people who make these brilliant decisions need to actually do something called a 'Study' before making rash generalizations about video game content. I know THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of people who play very realistic and violent games, some of which have been playing them since they were eight years old. These people are not violent. They will not and have not been made violent due to video games. What makes these people violent are two things: 1) Daily beatings and other abuse from their parents or the majority of their peers (bullying). Living in a world of violence and being exposed to ACTUAL not FANTASY violence breeds violent attitudes. 2) Being told day after day that the only way to survive is to consume. We are bombarded by images of unrealistic beauty, and are told that this beauty is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY for advancement in the world we live. Unfortunately, we are not all ripped with muscles, or sickly skinny, or blemish free, or blonde, or hard core or whatever. People who end up truly believing this bullshit, and then are shown they will never be the way they should be, get depressed, or develop other psychoses, and these people are the ones who shoot up schools/malls/mcdonalds/used car dealerships/iraq/vietnam etc.
Violence in an obvious fantasy setting is just that. People will become violent when violence of one sort or another is DIRECTLY affecting their person. No matter how violent, realistic, and bloody a game is, when we as humans play them, we KNOW ITS A GAME! Until video games are fully immersive, including 100% realistic tactile stimulation, along with smells, tastes etc. human minds have the capability within themselves to distinguish a game from reality. Violence in reality breeds real violence. Violence in video games breeds fun, and in many cases friendships which bolster someones ego, and discourage violent behavior. If the German/American/Any government wishes to curb violent behavior among it's citizens, they must begin to adress issues such as child abuse, mental abuse in other forms including exposure to harmful marketing (mostly cosmetics) with the seriousness and furor they adress harmless violence simulators.
Potentially, exposure to violent news, which happens in the united states every day, could cause damage, because news isn't fantasy as video games are, the things you see are right next door in some cases. Banning/Restricting violent games is as effective as restricting carrots to reduce rape...
"BUT THEY LOOK LIKE A PENIS!!!"

STAY RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE, GET OUT OF THAT BED AND GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR, GET OUTSIDE RIGHT NOW, RIGHT HERE: GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DONT CARE IF YOU'RE NUDE, GET DOWN ON THE CEMENT, I DON'T CARE IF ITS FREEZING! WHERES THE DRUGS, WE KNOW YOU GOT THE DRU

Feb 27, 2003, 14:04
Re: Boiling a frog Feb 27, 2003, 14:04
Feb 27, 2003, 14:04

I removed it because it was too political for this thread. Anyone who wants a copy can email me mind.trigger @ netvalve.com

The subject matter was why I think France and Germany's current position on the war with Iraq is completely irresponsible in the global arena. See...it was too political for this thread.

I'm glad, fredrickson, that you love me enough to make a ghey screen name for yourself based losely on mine. Brilliant.

--
He cut the possum's face off then cut around the eye socket. In the center of the belt buckle, where the possum's eye would be, he has placed a small piece of wood from his old '52 Ford's home made railroad tie bumper. Damn, he misses that truck.

hi
Feb 27, 2003, 13:44
hi Feb 27, 2003, 13:44
Feb 27, 2003, 13:44

im rock climber's bro.

he climbs my cock i pound his rock

hell yeah

viva los estados unidos!!!121122

PS - my bro is such a pussy he removed his comment, i tell you he has not the true brave american soul!!
This comment was edited on Feb 27, 13:45.
--

Feb 27, 2003, 13:03
Re: Boiling a frog Feb 27, 2003, 13:03
Feb 27, 2003, 13:03

My original post was WAY to political for this group. Removed.
This comment was edited on Feb 27, 13:33.
--

Boiling a frog
Feb 27, 2003, 08:32
Boiling a frog Feb 27, 2003, 08:32
Feb 27, 2003, 08:32

It's true. if you want to boil a frog you do it slowly.
If you throw a frog into a pan of boiling water it will jump out.
If you put it in a pan of cold water and bring it to the boil fairly slowly, then the frog will die in the hot water.

I've never tried it, but I've heard good reasons why.

I think it's because a frog has cold blood, so it will only notice very large temperature differences i.e. between the temperature of it's blood and that of it's surroundings. If you heat the frog slowly, then it's blood heats with the water and it never notices until it's too late.

Re: Command & Conquer
Feb 27, 2003, 06:48
Re: Command & Conquer Feb 27, 2003, 06:48
Feb 27, 2003, 06:48

First, I live in germany as well and I saw many games comin on the index or even got completely forbidden. Some of them rightly - some not.

I picked up C&C Generals few days ago and for what i´ve seen from the game till now, i can understand why they indexed it. In the first C&C´s they changed human soldiers to Robots and no one cared. This time u can nuke civillians and even use chemical weapons. What do you expect ?

In times of very difficult political situations worldwide you don´t have to make mission where u have to blow up a supply convoy for civillians. Not wondering ´bout that some politics may take that too seriously...

For me, I take Generals not too serious and sometimes the game itself seems to be a bit self-ironic and comedy-like, especially the unit-speech and stuff.

So, i don´t care - I got mine and for those who can´t buy it anymore - bad luck....

And please stop that silly nazi-talk. Not every german is nazi and we already have remote controls for our TV´s here in germany

Feb 27, 2003, 06:06
Re: Command & Conquer Feb 27, 2003, 06:06
Feb 27, 2003, 06:06

That's a word Caleb!

Feb 27, 2003, 05:18
Re: Command & Conquer Feb 27, 2003, 05:18
Feb 27, 2003, 05:18

Anon wrote:
"They should take further action and ban the sale of these games in germany altogether, remember not that many years ago this country was responsible for near world domination, kids or even adults playing a game called 'command and conquer' could be dangerous, while in the rest of the world everyone knows 'its only a computer game' the germans might interpret in a totally different way, its not worth the risk selling it to them in my opinion.

Put it this way, would you visit a german dentist?"
-----
mmmh... to be quite honest I think you don't have a clue what kind of bullshit you are talking...
Yes I am german... Yes i like my head when its nice and shaven... Yes nazis used to rule germany... erm.. so what? I am not a nazi! the amount of nazis in germany is minimal... and remember folks you have more neonazis in the US then we have in germany...

But what i really don't understand is.. are you really so dumb? or did they teach you a load of crap in school... the nazis where a political party who took germany in storm... but hell they have been gone for 50 years!!! the wars over guys.. get a life goddamnit...

I am not a nazi.. my neighbour isn't a nazi.. his neighbour isn't one... mmh... where are the nazis? i guess they're sitting in the fucking US.. don't you?

85 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older