Black & White 2 Q&A

There's a Black & White 2 Q&A on Computer and Video Games talking with Jonty Barnes about the upcoming Black & White sequel they are moved to call "incredibly enticing" in a conversation they feel is "rather delectable." Topics include areas of the original B&W that could stand improvement, the influence of feedback on the first game, differences in the sequel, changes to the creature, the clearer distinction between good and evil, combat, and more.
View : : :
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: B&W I
Feb 4, 2003, 07:14
Re: B&W I Feb 4, 2003, 07:14
Feb 4, 2003, 07:14

I could handle the we need foods and wood cries and stuff but "We need offspring!". Jesus christ do I have to do everything for you guys?! I'm a god not a fucking match maker.

Trouble with B&W was that after the first island in the game it was a constant struggle trying to meet your villagers demands of expansion and NEVER being able to keep them content so you could never advance on the level. In fact on the 2nd island I remember having so many huts that I was actually running out of places to put them. With that many buildings the game took an OFFENSIVELY LONG time to save and load.

Though for all the originals faults I really hope that this sequel can make it the game we all wanted. From reading that q&a it sounds like it.

Dammit!!
Feb 4, 2003, 00:16
Dammit!! Feb 4, 2003, 00:16
Feb 4, 2003, 00:16

Peter needs to forget B&W and make a new Syndicate game!!! Pleeeeeez!!!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Well..
Feb 3, 2003, 23:40
Well.. Feb 3, 2003, 23:40
Feb 3, 2003, 23:40

After suffering through the aggravations of the first B&W, I did say to myself, "Never again Molneussyyyycfg."

In no particular order, B&W inflicted upon me

1) A version TOTALLY in Dutch. Not just the manual, or the game menu's (Allied Assault ) but EVERYTHING was in Dutch, including all the villagers and shit. Trust me, if you speak Dutch, you know how frigging absurd it sounds, especially when voiced by Belgians (no offense Belgians, I'm sure I sound as stupid to you as you do to me).

2) Villagers CONSTANTLY whining at you. If anybody ever played the part of a good God, my hat off to you. I found picking them up and throwing them into the sea much more soothing for my nerves.

3) My creature NEVER grew. He was older than the Maghellanic Cloud, but he was still scantly taller than a house...

4) You were supposed to be a God, but I actually felt like I was this floating page with a hand. You know, like actors have and such. "Page, fetch me a hamburger. Pageboy, get me today's paper will you?" etc.

And ofcourse many more such aggravations.

And so I swore not to touch it again, and I just laughed at Creature Isles.
But over the past few months, I've read many interviews with Myloneeuuxnsnuyyeh, and they DO seem to be fixing many of my issues with the game. And let's face it, Peter M. CAN actually design very good games, which is why it was so weird that Black & White was a showcase for some cool stuff, and such aggravation in other areas. Anybody who has played the original populous knows just how awesome his games can be.

So, if it was the annoying parts about the game that turned you away, but you still did enjoy the underlying theme of it (and I admit, I LOVED just fucking around in that world, torturing some villagers, throwing trees into the sea and watching my creature emulate me, to such an extent where an hour later the stupid shit had deforested half the island, taking out your anger on simpering little villager scum, throwing rocks into the kindergarten (aahh, a firm favorite), playing catch with your creature etc.), I would recommend you keep an eye open.

Sure, it might still all be hype, but somehow I'll be surprised if B&W2 doesn't actually fix many or all of the problems found in the first game. And with those problems fixed, I think I could see myself playing it for a long time.

However, Molyfraggle, INCLUDE A SANDBOX MODE RIGHT OFF THE BAT THIS TIME, YOU SILLY BINT!

Creston

Re: B&W I
Feb 3, 2003, 21:51
Re: B&W I Feb 3, 2003, 21:51
Feb 3, 2003, 21:51

9. Deeeaaattthhh

"Life is not about the second chances. It's about the little mouse, and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is." - Dad
"Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak

B&W I
Feb 3, 2003, 20:22
Bronco

B&W I Feb 3, 2003, 20:22
Feb 3, 2003, 20:22
 Bronco

Things I remember from B&W I:

1. Villagers need more food.

2. A creature that forgot how to do everything immediately after you taught it.

3. Working at some of those miracles for hours on end trying to get the pattern down.

4. Leaving your creature alone for 10 minutes only to return and see him crapping on your villagers.

5. Villagers need more food.

6. A website that was totally blown away by traffic for the first month or so...

7. Lots of promises of AI, not sure where that went, as I couldn't get my creature to remember how to get a drink let alone cast a spell.

8. Did I mention that the villagers need more food?

B&W was a mile wide and 5/8" deep.

There is next to NO way that I'll be playing B&W II.

I really enjoyed some of Peter M's earlier works.

-TPFKAS2S
http://www.braglio.org
How many toes does a fish have?
How many wings on a cow? I wonder, yep. I wonder!

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 20:24.
-TPFKAS2S

Re: No subject
Feb 3, 2003, 19:58
Re: No subject Feb 3, 2003, 19:58
Feb 3, 2003, 19:58

Is it just me or do C&VG suck up to everyone these days ?

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering - Bruce Lee"
===
B: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

No subject
Feb 3, 2003, 19:57
No subject Feb 3, 2003, 19:57
Feb 3, 2003, 19:57

Loved the concept of the original and pre-ordered the game, and although I was pretty sick of the constant hype from Peter M and then the retractions after release, B&W was a nice looking game with some pretty cool features, but I was so sick of the micro-management after a few hours - you were supposed to be a god-wannabe ffs, not a middle manager lol. I won't be so quick to get this one unless they have addressed at least that aspect.

Re: Original B&W
Feb 3, 2003, 19:37
Re: Original B&W Feb 3, 2003, 19:37
Feb 3, 2003, 19:37

So many damn sequels. That's all I have to say about it.

Original B&W
Feb 3, 2003, 18:16
Original B&W Feb 3, 2003, 18:16
Feb 3, 2003, 18:16

Playing around in with the game world in the original B&W was fun (I loved throwing flaming rocks through the villiger's huts...), but the game part wasn't very good. Hopefully they'll either improve that part, or just design it to be a free-form simulator kind of thing like the Sim games.

Re: Actually...
Feb 3, 2003, 17:27
Re: Actually... Feb 3, 2003, 17:27
Feb 3, 2003, 17:27

I'm with you. For two or three days I was totally blown away by Black and White. Then all of a sudden I couldn't stand it. I didn't have the attention span for it, but I have to say it was an ambitious, imaginative game with a lot of personality.

I'm also one of the only people who really loved Majestic. Let the flaming commence.

Actually...
Feb 3, 2003, 17:22
Actually... Feb 3, 2003, 17:22
Feb 3, 2003, 17:22

I found B&W to be an amazing game. The problem is that it just was not very much fun - it got too boring. The game broke so many standards and was so revolutionary that they just forgot to add the fun part in it. Amazing technology, and I'd love to see them improve the fun aspect of the game (like make the damned creature mature faster! :P)

All in all, I found that B&W was a great game, and am glad I did buy it, if for nothing else than to experience it.

Re: sorry
Feb 3, 2003, 17:12
Re: sorry Feb 3, 2003, 17:12
Feb 3, 2003, 17:12

Well this time there's armies and your pet isn't going to act like a baby(hopefully)
But it's not going to have as many creatures and I wonder if it will come with an editor.
I kindof hated how a good player in the first B&W couldn't kill any villagers. I guess the developers believe war is something you can avoid :/

sorry
Feb 3, 2003, 17:02
sorry Feb 3, 2003, 17:02
Feb 3, 2003, 17:02

fooled me once, won't bite a second time

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older