etc.

• The University of Michigan MMRPG study is getting underway, and will give away 400 copies of Asheron's Call 2 to qualifying participants...
  • A final post and goodbye from Richard Harvey (thanks Inside Mac Games) is a heart-breaking forum post from the Fly! producer/programmer describing the advanced state of the terminal cancer to which he is succumbing...
  • The final release of ClanTools is available on VWare, where they explain why this will be the last version...
  • Canadian-based publisher DreamCatcher Interactive has announced the opening of a European branch in Paris...
  • Seriously! offers downloads of an M.C. Escher house of stairs map for Serious Sam, trying to create a physical representation of one of his optical illusions...
View : : :

Re: Final Post and Goodbye
Feb 2, 2003, 23:26
Re: Final Post and Goodbye Feb 2, 2003, 23:26
Feb 2, 2003, 23:26

I used to be a regular at the AVSIM forums and I can most certainly attest to the fact that the people that hang out there are not your ordinary kind of forum goers.

Like in most game forums they also bitch about the most trivial of things and passionately nitpick every detail of their game of choice. Opinions are blatantly stated, opposing sides are formed, and fights do break out as they would anywhere.

The difference is that they are also a very mature and sentimental lot.

Opinions are commonly stated in a politically correct, eloquently worded, purely agumentative manner that borders on academic. Vulgarities and purile jabs are uncommon, impulsive behavior is taboo. When flamewars do erupt, they are more likely to ultimately resolve their issues in the end ("kiss and makeup") than resort to a brooding troll-like isolation ("shutup and die") that brews a cocktail of hate for later use.

Praise and counter-praise run rampant after a successful mod or commercial release. They'll write odes of spasmic joy at the initial release of a great product, and save criticism for later so as not to spoil the moment. This often extends to personal, real-life events, sending prompt congratulations on getting married, having a baby, getting your Pilot's License, etc. And as you may have seen in the linked forum postings, publicly announced dissapointments in life are met with copius amounts of that rarest of forum virtues, empathy.

It is in the AVSIM forums where I once found out that there is an actual human being behind the words and the alias. Is is also rather unfortunate, that for some reason this epitome of a strong forum community exists within the boundaries of a relatively obscure computer hobby.

"Life is not about the second chances. It's about the little mouse, and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is." - Dad
"Nothing livens up a robotic hymn of doom more than an amazing pair of jugs." - Brak
Date
Subject
Author
Jan 31, 2003Jan 31 2003
Jan 31, 2003Jan 31 2003
Jan 31, 2003Jan 31 2003
Jan 31, 2003Jan 31 2003
Jan 31, 2003Jan 31 2003
Jan 31, 2003Jan 31 2003
Feb 2, 2003Feb 2 2003
 Re: Final Post and Goodbye