Unreal II Trailer

The official Unreal II: The Awakening Website has relaunched, offering a Flash intro to the upcoming Unreal sequel in the works at Legend Entertainment, along with some new screenshots, and a new video trailer from the game. The site is a bit hammered at the moment, and the gameplay movie has been mirrored on Worthplaying and on Tiscali Games where it's been converted to smaller and larger DivX-format files.
View : : :
96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: Forget it Jake, its Chinatown...
Jan 10, 2003, 08:41
Re: Forget it Jake, its Chinatown... Jan 10, 2003, 08:41
Jan 10, 2003, 08:41

Totally agree with you human. Valve have made their money from Half Life, their constant reiterations of the same package (like Generations, Gold etc) not to mention the spin off games like Blue Shift & Opposing Force. There is also the ports to other platforms (well PS2, DC never made it, but I'm sure they were paid for it)

And lest we forget the orignal Half Life OEM demo (that would have brought in some good cash)

If developers made money from mods based on their games they wouldn't have to bother making games themselves would they

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering - Bruce Lee"
===
B: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

Jan 10, 2003, 08:24
Re: Forget it Jake, its Chinatown... Jan 10, 2003, 08:24
Jan 10, 2003, 08:24

Their income is 'based on Half-life mods that they commercialize'? How could you even begin to support this statement? How many mods have been commercialized? I count CS and that Gunman Chronicles which used HL, but didn't sell jack or shit. That's 2. Most of their income must come from retail sales of Half-Life.

Jan 10, 2003, 03:34
. Jan 10, 2003, 03:34
Jan 10, 2003, 03:34

Anyone remember the game Wheel of Time, also made by Legend? And it's Citadel mode?
From the previews, it sounds like this will sort of be in the game, and you order the bots, and can move different things around (turrets, walls, etc. I'm assuming)
Before they announced that MP was out of Unreal II, I'm pretty sure that this was a feature.
But I agree with the decision, don't do two under-developed games, make one really good one. And there already is UT 2003. I just wish that said Citadel mode (or whatever they'll call it) will eventually make it into MP...perhaps in Warfare?
Of course, no one knows what Warfare is, right?
Which probably means it's a MMO game. Gee..not enough of those.

Jan 10, 2003, 01:56
Re: Forget it Jake, its Chinatown... Jan 10, 2003, 01:56
Jan 10, 2003, 01:56

Saying HL mp crap is pretty out there... if Valve didn't include mp in the first place and didn't support independent developers as it did and still does, mp would be lagging years behind...

Go look at the archived Planet Half-life mailbag. Check the bag from around december 1998. You will find complaint after complaint, about Half-Life's extemely laggy net-code, Valve not getting a patch out, and generally a very sub par multi experience. I recall one email stating something along the lines of "HL will never replace Quake 2 as the MP champ until Valve starts supporting the community".

Here's the linky if you don't believe me: http://www.planethalflife.com/features/mailbag/mailbag122798.shtm

Suffice it say, out-of-box Half Life MP circa November 1998 blew goats for quarters. Granted Valve eventually got their ass in gear, to the point now that their income is based upon Half-Life mods that they commercialize.

As for Unreal 2, it sounds more akin to NOLF than Half-Life or Quake to me. Go read the official site and some previews, they all suggest that the game will be a series of missions with widely varing objectives as opposed to the linear, kill-whats-in-your-path design of the first Unreal.

Jan 10, 2003, 00:13
Gog
Re: Forget it Jake, its Chinatown... Jan 10, 2003, 00:13
Jan 10, 2003, 00:13
Gog

Hey Xeon, I'm not arguing that all games should have both sp and mp, I'm saying that every fast paced action fps should have one. Lets take a gander at the games you mention you play. All the mp games are action fps, the sp games are a different story. Both System Shock and Deus Ex are very difficult to transform into mp games because of their rpg elements and b/c many players dont play them as a typical fps. Mafia on the other hand (much like GTA3) would be awesome as mp and RS is currently working on the successor to GTA3 that will include mp... the only reason why they couldn't include it in the first place is b/c it would of thrown them completely off schedule, having to do the netcode to keep tabs on all those NPCs would probably require a complete reworking of the game.

Now what we have with U2 is a pure action fps, a genre that always did include mp because mp plays so darn well with them (assuming its done correctly). I'm not arguing that U2 will be crap/dung or whatever, I'm saying it will have a very short life on your hd and won't be worth the cash they make you pay for it.

Sven Co-Op is a kick ass co-op that was built for HL and it was made by a team of eight independent programmers and graphic arts guys. If these guys put this together in their free time I don't see why the people at Legend couldn't do the same since U2 is based on the same engine as UT2k3 and should therefore have the mp code intact.

As to consoles, I have and probably always will favor my computer for an infinite number of reasons, but you have to admit that for the mass of people out there a console is a more viable option. Its cheaper, easier to setup and work with and year by year, developers are transfering more and more of the features of pc games into console versions. I wouldn't be suprised if pc gaming becomes such a niche market that developers stop supporting them. BTW, Von Helmet, Xbox released Xbox live recently and you can play with any number of oponents over the net... same goes with ps2 and soon GC.

Concerning scripted events and MP, trust me, they work fine if not excellently. I recommend you check out Sven Co-Op for HL and you'll see what I'm talking about. Are you sure that co-op will be left out of Doom 3? I know mp is included.

Saying HL mp crap is pretty out there... if Valve didn't include mp in the first place and didn't support independent developers as it did and still does, mp would be lagging years behind...

Btw, I used to play all my mp games with 56k and they worked fine, assuming you picked the right server.

SMA, when I was refering to squad based game I meant as a mp.

Unfortunately I feel that Legend/Infogrames or whoever respondsible will not be releasing the necessary code to enable MP by modders and I feel that its a darn shame...

Re: Just saw it...
Jan 9, 2003, 19:42
Re: Just saw it... Jan 9, 2003, 19:42
Jan 9, 2003, 19:42

ut2 and u2 shouldn't be compared, they are made in 2 different places, and ut2 is a heap of shit kthx, but seriously, the game looks good, im kinda pissed with that trailer though the quality is so bad you can hardly see the game properly.

Just saw it...
Jan 9, 2003, 19:06
Just saw it... Jan 9, 2003, 19:06
Jan 9, 2003, 19:06

Looks pretty cool. The story does look like it's been ripped out of oh so many sci-fi movies, but the story is just a plus. If I want an awesome story, I'll catch a flick or grab a book. If I want to have a fun experiance on my computer, I'll grab a game. If a game has a cool story and its done right (Half-Life, System Shock 2) it's an added bonus. But I don't think we should have to fork out an additional $40 for a UT2 as well. But thats why this capitalism is so great. We buy what we want, when we want, so if it pisses you off to shell out $80 for a game (as it does me) don't but them both. Get the one that matters to you more. Here's hoping that someone can develop a multi-player mod soon after release so we can have the best of both worlds...

Mike

Jan 9, 2003, 17:29
Re: Forget it Jake, its Chinatown... Jan 9, 2003, 17:29
Jan 9, 2003, 17:29

UT2 had the potential to be a squad based game...

My understanding is that it still is. From the mission descriptions I've read, it sounds as if the majority of the game is squad based. The fact that the trailer didn't show this, doesn't mean its not there.

MP used to be STANDARD...

I disagree, for a long time multiplayer on the PC just wasn't there. Doom changed that. Doom also sold massive numbers of units. The follow-up, Quake, cemented that in many ways MP can be more fun than SP. As a result, publisher's everywhere wanted their developers to include a multiplayer component. The flood of titles that resulted usually had just a tacked on deathmatch mode, absolutely nothing to write home about. As a result MP no longer was a sure seller. Enter today, where developers and publishers have decided that a multiplayer mode just for the sake of having one is a waste of time and money better spent on the main game. That is an opinion I wholeheartedly support.

And this BS about the developers sacrificing MP so that they could have a decent SP... utter nonsence. Half-Life did it, RtCW did it, MoH did it, NOLF1&2 did it.

Half-Life had an utter crap out-of-box multiplayer experience that did the game more harm the good, at least until mod-makers came to the rescue. RTCW had a really dissappointing SP game, in addition the multiplayer component was developed seperately. Medal of Honor, while good in both respects, was also extremely low on content in SP. Personally, I would have preferred a longer SP experience over a MP game I never play. NOLF 1s MP felt tacked on to me, but on the other hand I only played a handful of games. NOLF 2's initial multiplayer was just a continuation of the SP game, just in COOP.

Personally, I applaud infogrammes for taking the risk to develop two seperate products rather than one above average SP game, that had a tacked on multiplayer component that merely sapped resources away from a potentially outstanding SP game.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 17:30.

Jan 9, 2003, 15:09
Re: Forget it Jake, its Chinatown... Jan 9, 2003, 15:09
Jan 9, 2003, 15:09

"You'd have to be comatose not to notice that all consoles are releasing both adapters and games that are all about mp. Games that have received some of the highest praise for consoles, ie. the Tony Hanks series and Halo, support MP. The PC faces very stiff competition from consoles and unless it keeps up innovating it won't be worth the extra expenses to have a pc for gaming."

PC multiplayer is and always will be better than console multiplayer. Why? Because you can play on separate monitors not a quarter of a TV. Because you can play games with 32 or 64 players rather than just 4. Sure, the DC had internet access, but how long did that last?

"From what I've seen from shakey cam videos and other preview videos (also in the way it was shot, in that annoying millisec length footage)it seems that this game is all about fast paced action, aka what every other game on the shelf now offers albeit with nicer graphics. Sure they have scripted events that sound great on paper (things that would work much better as mp) we all know that you can play through something scripted once or twice before you get tired of it."

I've not seen the videos, but they sound pretty poor. Let's reserve full judgement for a demo or the full game, huh? Plus, scripted events don't really work in MP. What if one player is falling behind? They miss an event and don't know what's going on. That's why Carmack is leaving co-op out of Doom 3, because the focus is on atmosphere and timed events, which won't work with 4 people stuck in a room together. Similar things will be true for U2.

"As to those who say that if I want mp, go get UT2k3, thats a completely different game. UT2 had the potential to be a squad based game, like a hybrid between UT2k3 and Operation Flashpoint. It would have truely been original."

I assume you mean U2 when you say UT2. Well, whatever game you mean, of course it had the *potential* to be something. It had the *potential* to feature a custard pie gun and nekkid laydeez cavorting. Potential is an overly strong term, and it should also be borne in mind that just because there is potential for something, just because something is possible, doesn't mean it's a good idea. Daikatana had the *potential* to be a really good game. Ummm. Yeah.

"Again, to make sure that my point comes across, MP used to be STANDARD... much like that when you buy a car, the windshield, tires and doors come standard."

When was MP ever standard? It's never been a de facto part of a game. It's never been essential.

"And this BS about the developers sacrificing MP so that they could have a decent SP... utter nonsence. Half-Life did it, RtCW did it, MoH did it, NOLF1&2 did it. The only reason they are not including any MP is because of money. Infogrames, the idiots behind both UT2 and UT2k3 wanted to maximize profits and they thought that if both had MP aspect sales would decrease for either product."

Half Life multiplayer is pretty crap. It's the mods that have made it decent. RTCW had it's multiplayer component designed by a completely different software house so the main design team could work on the SP game. MOH multiplayer isn't as good as RTCW. And... the NOLF games are pretty good. So I guess you were right in parts.

At the end of the day, I'd quite like people to keep creating SP games as long as I'm stuck on a freaking 56k connection. Bear in mind that not everyone has cable and DSL. You lucky people are the elite, a very small proportion. As such it would be nice if game designers kept catering to us little people and our 56k wonder.

Jan 9, 2003, 13:55
Re: Forget it Jake, its Chinatown... Jan 9, 2003, 13:55
Jan 9, 2003, 13:55

I am a massive player of both SP and MP FPS games Gog - BUT I don't believe for one minute though that you have to have both modes in every darn game. There are plenty of examples of both, but not so many that pull off both well.

If I want MP I play BF1942, Q3, CS, UT or UT2K3. If I want SP I play Hitman 2 (no multiplayer) System Shock (no multiplayer) Deus Ex (no multiplayer at launch) or Mafia (no mulitplayer) You_do_not_have_to_have_both to make a good game.

BTW, UT2 and UT2K3 are the *same* thing. Unreal 2 is not UT2.

===

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

Jan 9, 2003, 13:31
Gog
Re: Forget it Jake, its Chinatown... Jan 9, 2003, 13:31
Jan 9, 2003, 13:31
Gog

Well I'm from a place called Earth, I guess we're not from the same planet;).

You'd have to be comatose not to notice that all consoles are releasing both adapters and games that are all about mp. Games that have received some of the highest praise for consoles, ie. the Tony Hanks series and Halo, support MP. The PC faces very stiff competition from consoles and unless it keeps up innovating it won't be worth the extra expenses to have a pc for gaming.

From what I've seen from shakey cam videos and other preview videos (also in the way it was shot, in that annoying millisec length footage)it seems that this game is all about fast paced action, aka what every other game on the shelf now offers albeit with nicer graphics. Sure they have scripted events that sound great on paper (things that would work much better as mp) we all know that you can play through something scripted once or twice before you get tired of it.

As to those who say that if I want mp, go get UT2k3, thats a completely different game. UT2 had the potential to be a squad based game, like a hybrid between UT2k3 and Operation Flashpoint. It would have truely been original.

Again, to make sure that my point comes across, MP used to be STANDARD... much like that when you buy a car, the windshield, tires and doors come standard.

And this BS about the developers sacrificing MP so that they could have a decent SP... utter nonsence. Half-Life did it, RtCW did it, MoH did it, NOLF1&2 did it. The only reason they are not including any MP is because of money. Infogrames, the idiots behind both UT2 and UT2k3 wanted to maximize profits and they thought that if both had MP aspect sales would decrease for either product.

BTW XEON, do you know who will be the extraterrestrial distributor of UT2?

You Guys Are Missing the Point
Jan 9, 2003, 13:27
You Guys Are Missing the Point Jan 9, 2003, 13:27
Jan 9, 2003, 13:27

Single-Player and Multi-Player are two very, very different experiences. When you take a game like Quake II and examine it two components, you'll realize that the weapons are the only similarity in gameplay. Even then the weapons are usually rebalanced for the multiplayer experience. Rather than split their attention and combine two different gameplay experiences, Legend is trying to focus on one awesome experience. The best single-player fps experiences that I have ever had, have come from SP only games. Case in point: System Shock 1/2, Thief 1/2, Deus Ex, and Ultima Underworld. You may argue that these arn't traditional FPS but if thats the case, traditional FPS just arn't as good as hybrid games.

Anyway, this hardly matters because I sincerely doubt all the Unreal 2 naysayers will pass the game by entirely.

Jan 9, 2003, 13:16
Re: Forget it Jake, its Chinatown... Jan 9, 2003, 13:16
Jan 9, 2003, 13:16

Gog, do you know what your talking about. Your last paragraph could easily describe any multiplayer game rather than a brillant single player game, where at least in a single player platform you can create a situation limited only by the hardware and imagination.
And as far as this game being mediocre, lets wait and see shall we? I'll bet real money this game is going to be just awesome. Hopefully up there with other great single player experiences like the Thief series and System Shock and Half Life and Dues Ex.

-Tony!!!;)
This comment was edited on Jan 9, 13:17.
-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

Jan 9, 2003, 12:46
Re: Forget it Jake, its Chinatown... Jan 9, 2003, 12:46
Jan 9, 2003, 12:46

SP games are old school ? And what planet are you from again ?

You are writing off Unreal 2 as a mediocre game without even playing it ? Seems stupid to me.

MP is on as standard to a lot of games, and lots of them stink. Its a tick on the box, not an essential feature. The devs clearly said that one had to be sacrificed over the other and they chose to sacrifice the MP aspect - good on them, I'd rather have a totally cool SP game and get my MP fix elsewhere on a game thats been designed to be an MP game.

===

Forget it Jake, its Chinatown...
Jan 9, 2003, 12:35
Gog
Forget it Jake, its Chinatown... Jan 9, 2003, 12:35
Jan 9, 2003, 12:35
Gog

SP games are old school - not that old school is bad, hell we always have to revisit old school every now and then ;).

The problem is that what could have potentially have been a classic or at least great game will be relegated to mediocrity. All classic fps, since the days of Doom have had a mp, its a standard. And now with whats going on now, its like they are removing a standard.

Face it, not only will the actions of a bot not(at least within the next 10 years) mimic the actions of a live player, but the fun of playing with/fraggin real people is that much more fun and satisfying than playing with bots.

Lets hope that these folks at Legend will at least make available the tools to modders out there to implement a mp aspect to the game. Otherwise this game is just going to be another: theres the enemey, go kill him... wow, you killed him!!! here's a shiny new gun for you !!! (and before things get too boring) ohhh, wooowww... here's a gun that shoots flames, ooooeee, agghhhh...

Re: Max Payne MP
Jan 9, 2003, 10:05
Re: Max Payne MP Jan 9, 2003, 10:05
Jan 9, 2003, 10:05

Cybernutz... You mean RPG, not RTS

Diginan... Bullet time wouldn't work in multiplayer. How would it? In Max Payne, when you activate bullet time everything slows down but you still have the same reactions. How would that work in multi? When one player activates it everyone else slows down and can only move like molasses? That would get old really fast.

Re: must disagree....
Jan 9, 2003, 09:19
Re: must disagree.... Jan 9, 2003, 09:19
Jan 9, 2003, 09:19

I have been playing UT2k3 single player since the game came out. I don't have broadband or DSL, so playing online is really not an option for me. But, I do play at LAN parties, so the MP aspects of UT2k3 will come into play then. But, I enjoy the single player aspect of UT2k3. Albeit, there aren't that many maps to keep one's interest. But, I play them over and over to hone my skills for that up and coming LAN party. I have no problem with game devlopers producing both a single player and multiplayer version of the same game. I think it is the way to go.

Max Payne MP
Jan 9, 2003, 09:11
Max Payne MP Jan 9, 2003, 09:11

Max would be easy to translate into a multiplayer game... just not everyone would be able to have BulletTime - it would be a power up obviously.

There's always a way to make multiplayer, we've had enuf SP games, Atari-Playstation .... im fuckin done with SP games, if i want to play with myself it won't be with a joystick!

Gaming Orgies are the only way to play games now adays... fuck scripted enemies that are ZERO challenge. There are only 2 ways to make a SP game HARD.... let the computer cheat (starcraft), or throw MASSIVE amounts of enemies at the player (Doom)...

When these SP games only sell 10,000 or so units the developers will realize.... That is if the walmart and target morons don't buy it out... Hopefully it is CLEARLY stated on the FRONT of the box that U2 is ONLY SP!

actually, screw U2 & UT2k3

Re: .
Re: . Jan 9, 2003, 09:11

Or, Hitman2. Which has great body physics. Also, UT2k3 has very good physics. I'm waiting for UnrealII simply for the great graphics, gameplay, and immersive quality it will surely contain. Unreal 1 was a great game in it's time. And, as far as I'm concerned, a true FPS should be an adrenline pumping, run and gun, "shootemup". Games like, Max Payne, NOLF, and even Hitman are good. But, not really a true, dyed in the wool, FPS imho. More like RTS/FPS hybrids to me. But, fun never the less. And FUN is what gaming is all about to me.

No subject
Jan 9, 2003, 06:57
No subject Jan 9, 2003, 06:57
Jan 9, 2003, 06:57

Why on earth are you complaining ? Unreal is a *single player game* these *still* exist you know. Why on earth does it *have* to have multiplayer ? Ages ago the devs said that they were not including any multiplayer component as they didn't have time to do it justice. They are focused on the SINGLE PLAYER element of the game and I'm pretty confident that its going to rock.

I_am_sick_to_death of half assed multiplayer modes that should never have been produced just because developers or publishers feel they have to. Not every PC game that comes out naturally has to have multiplayer just for the tick on the box - strange but true. I wish more publishers would realise that.

If you want Unreal Engine powered multiplayer you've got UT2K3. You've also got the choice of Raven Shield & Devastation (okay last two are coming soon) If you are only interested in multiplayer then Unreal 2 is not going to appeal to you - play something else.

As the tools are shipping with U2 (unless thats changed) I'm sure we'll see content from Unreal2 winging its way over to UT2K3 anyway to satisfy ya.

===

96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older