Unreal II Trailer

The official Unreal II: The Awakening Website has relaunched, offering a Flash intro to the upcoming Unreal sequel in the works at Legend Entertainment, along with some new screenshots, and a new video trailer from the game. The site is a bit hammered at the moment, and the gameplay movie has been mirrored on Worthplaying and on Tiscali Games where it's been converted to smaller and larger DivX-format files.
View : : :
96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older

Re: Forget it Jake, its Chinatown...
Jan 13, 2003, 09:20
Re: Forget it Jake, its Chinatown... Jan 13, 2003, 09:20
Jan 13, 2003, 09:20

75. Re: Forget it Jake, its Chinatown... Jan 13, 08:51 Greedo

Hey, Dr. Del - your domain's expired... sort yourself out :-)

https://secure.registerapi.com/order/renew/auto.php?domain=SUPERBLOG.COM

---Another Star Wars nerd---
This message was edited at Jan 13, 08:53.

OH MY GAWD, does anyone have some money I can borrow??? I have PayPal ... pls help me ... I am broke after spending all my $$$ on the PC in my sig ... I can't even afford to feed my dog or hamster.

- Dr. Del
http://www.SuperBlog.com
AMD XP 2200+, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, 512 RAM, 19" ViewSonic LCD flat panel, 120 G WD HDD 8meg cache, WinXP Pro SP1

Jan 13, 2003, 08:51
Re: Forget it Jake, its Chinatown... Jan 13, 2003, 08:51
Jan 13, 2003, 08:51

Hey, Dr. Del - your domain's expired... sort yourself out :-)

https://secure.registerapi.com/order/renew/auto.php?domain=SUPERBLOG.COM

---Another Star Wars nerd---
This comment was edited on Jan 13, 08:53.

problem?
Jan 13, 2003, 08:37
problem? Jan 13, 2003, 08:37
Jan 13, 2003, 08:37

Thanks Chance. Like he said, I have no problem with you Nostromo. What made you think I had?

I was just wondering about Dr.Del's sudden outburst of flaming. (like he's doing again BELOW me)

Jan 13, 2003, 08:29
Re: Forget it Jake, its Chinatown... Jan 13, 2003, 08:29
Jan 13, 2003, 08:29

72. Re: Forget it Jake, its Chinatown... Jan 13, 00:31 human

Ah, yes, an accusation of middle-aged virginity from...'corran horn'? Ah, yes, a google reveals that this was the name of a character from a Star Wars novelization. Who's the fucking nerd NOW?

I think he hit the nail right on the head YOU FUCKING VIRGIN!!!!!

- Dr. Del
AMD XP 2200+, ATI Radeon 9700 Pro, 512 RAM, 19" ViewSonic LCD flat panel, 120 G WD HDD 8meg cache, WinXP Pro SP1

Jan 13, 2003, 00:31
Re: Forget it Jake, its Chinatown... Jan 13, 2003, 00:31
Jan 13, 2003, 00:31

Ah, yes, an accusation of middle-aged virginity from...'corran horn'? Ah, yes, a google reveals that this was the name of a character from a Star Wars novelization. Who's the fucking nerd NOW?

Re: Remember the days when . . . .
Jan 12, 2003, 21:12
Re: Remember the days when . . . . Jan 12, 2003, 21:12
Jan 12, 2003, 21:12

Nostromo, I think Panick was wondering what was up with Dr. Del (post 62) since his comment came after that. Did he have a... problem with you too? I didn't see it. Calm down people. Too many of you seem to be getting wound about a trailer made by a PR department. I wouldn't write the game off, or make my vacation plans around it either, based on that.

Jan 12, 2003, 19:49
Re: Remember the days when . . . . Jan 12, 2003, 19:49
Jan 12, 2003, 19:49

Jan 12, 10:22 Panick
um...what is your problem?

um . . . apparently you are my problem

This comment was edited on Jan 12, 19:49.

Is Unreal 2 going to be a good game ?
Jan 12, 2003, 17:34
Is Unreal 2 going to be a good game ? Jan 12, 2003, 17:34
Jan 12, 2003, 17:34

Well, it seems pointless saying the game is going to be dated/rubbish/crap etc before there are any reviews or (better) finished copies sitting there on the shelf. All of the hands-on previews so far have been pretty good and at least on the gameplay front totally rubbish some of the comments made here (things like the type & pace of gameplay etc) For the same reason it also seems pointless to say that the game is going to be crap based on *other* Unreal games - can't figure the logic in that. Legend so far have a pretty good rep' - check out Wheel of Time - very underrated game (with a fab co-op mode btw) so it's going to be interesting to see what they do with Unreal 2.

Besides, if you can tell a game is going to be crap from a rather poor PR-made trailer (from Infogrammes fantastic PR dept - ffs - biggest shower of sh*ts since EA) then that some pretty cool telepathic skill ya have there. I'm not saying the trailer couldn't have been better, but I think I'll base my opinion on *actual* gameplay.

BTW, the comment about developers making money off their mods was meant in reply to an earlier post saying that Valve made money from their mods. They clearly don't - what they *have* made money from is mods that went commercial like CS, GC etc - I couldn't be arsed to retype an earlier comment I made AND to human - It doesn't make any difference is GC sold *any* copies - you can bet ya life Valve would have been paid something from the publisher regardless of sales.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering - Bruce Lee"
===
B: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

Jan 12, 2003, 16:57
Re: Forget it Jake, its Chinatown... Jan 12, 2003, 16:57
Jan 12, 2003, 16:57

Easy there nerd-lingers ... arguing about sales of computer games ? Still a virgin at 35 eh .. no doubt, so much hostility and anger. Settle down :O

Jan 12, 2003, 15:22
Re: Forget it Jake, its Chinatown... Jan 12, 2003, 15:22
Jan 12, 2003, 15:22

Sorry, Porkface, but nothing you wrote refuted anything I said. Unless you have figures that show that sales of retails Half-Life have been less, in total, than CS, you have no point here. I said GC didn't sell jack shit.

Re: ut2 trailer
Jan 12, 2003, 14:32
Re: ut2 trailer Jan 12, 2003, 14:32
Jan 12, 2003, 14:32

...okay, actually it was a lot better, but i think that has more to do with editing and soundtrack and not with indication of gameplay.

Agreed, I think the Unreal 2 trailer is more Infogrammes marketing than Legend design. I don't understand why people immediatily assume the game is action only. Just because thats all the trailer shows does not mean thats all thats there. Marketing thinks balls-to-the-wall action sells, so they design a trailer showcasing just that one element of the game. Of course I could be wrong but everything I've read about Unreal 2 has led me to believe its a squad based game with a myriad of different sorts of missions.

Jan 12, 2003, 12:18
Re: Forget it Jake, its Chinatown... Jan 12, 2003, 12:18
Jan 12, 2003, 12:18

"I count CS and that Gunman Chronicles which used HL, but didn't sell jack or shit. That's 2. Most of their income must come from retail sales of Half-Life."

You couldn't be more wrong.

http://www.business2.com/articles/mag/print/0,1643,43489,FF.html

"In addition to its free Internet distribution, Counter-Strike has sold 1.3 million shrink-wrapped copies at retail; in 2003 a version for Microsoft's (MSFT) Xbox will hit the stores."

How could you even begin to support YOUR statement now?

ut2 trailer
Jan 12, 2003, 11:14
Max
ut2 trailer Jan 12, 2003, 11:14
Jan 12, 2003, 11:14
Max

I just saw the UT2 trailer...honestly I didn't think it was that bad. The fighting and visuals _do_ look good, as has been said, but I don't understand where everyone is critizing it from. The trailer doesn't really show anything about how the game is going to play; it's really only an exposition of graphics, so besides being annoyed at the cliche woman/weapons guy, i don't understand what the problem is. Personally, I think this is going to be the first sp fps to challenge half-life as the best, and remember that Half-Life was visually interesting when it came out, and if you saw the trailers for Op For or whatever, they weren't _that_ much better...okay, actually it was a lot better, but i think that has more to do with editing and soundtrack and not with indication of gameplay.

Max

Jan 12, 2003, 10:22
Re: Remember the days when . . . . Jan 12, 2003, 10:22
Jan 12, 2003, 10:22

um...what is your problem?

Jan 12, 2003, 09:55
Re: Remember the days when . . . . Jan 12, 2003, 09:55
Jan 12, 2003, 09:55

FUCK YOU ... UNREAL OWNS YOU AND DOOM3!!!

61. Re: Remember the days when . . . . Jan 12, 09:06 Troll

Nostromo,

I never had big expectations for the Unreal francise, but the video is indeed disappointing. The game's technology may be the only thing to look forward to because the gameplay and art direction seems to be utterly stereotypical.

It is disappointing because Legend made many very deep and original games in their day, apparently they believe that that is not called for in today's fps. Too bad.

I too am looking forward to Doom 3, but primarily because of the technology and the typical 'doom feeling', not originality.

Highlights in terms of originality are SP first person games like nolf, system shock, deus ex, rainbow six, etc. and their respective sequels, but not the unreals.

- Dr. Del

Jan 12, 2003, 09:06
Re: Remember the days when . . . . Jan 12, 2003, 09:06
Jan 12, 2003, 09:06

Nevermind.

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 17:53.

Remember the days when . . . .
Jan 11, 2003, 23:38
Remember the days when . . . . Jan 11, 2003, 23:38
Jan 11, 2003, 23:38

I just watched this trailer and I felt I must comment to see if anyone shares what I'm thinking after watching it. I have to apologize up front, I may not have all my detail correct here, but this is not about details.

Remember with me if you will the night back in '98 when you first started playing Unreal after waiting so long for it to finally be on your hard drive. This was back when the Unreal engine was new and one of the first (if not the first) to incorporate brilliant color and lighting effects utilized so well within a new and somewhat different environment that was truly unreal. It was a great break from Duke Nukem 3D and Quake. Now, I'm sure many will argue that Duke and Quake were much better games, and I find myself in agreement when discussing the "big three" that owned my life back in the day (a time when this addiction started for many of us), but there was something that stayed with me from Unreal that I’ve never been able to forget and long to experience again. Oh, and let me just say that I'm not in anyway an Unreal freak.

At any rate . . . back to Unreal. My point is this . . . plain and simple . . .Unreal was a great gaming experience. And by that I mean I truly felt like I was on a journey in a foreign land and I needed to adapt, evolve, explore and experience the world around me to make it through. The dark, moody intensity that seemed to be around every corner. The sounds of the Skaarj lurking in the next room or running up behind you from a distance. . . the intense action that was integrated so well with the story. It hooked me in and needless to say I enjoyed it very much.

Now, having said this . . . I have to comment on this latest Unreal II trailer. I admit, I haven't read all of the 50+ posts here, but I think from what I have read my opinion is shared by quite a few. The images and sounds of the cigarette smoking commander, the large-breasted / midriff-exposing sidekick (Aida is her name I believe) that’s barking orders in your ear, the "I'm a bad ass" tone from the guy driving the craft, and most disappointing of all is what appears to be action for the sake of action (although I'll chalk that up to bad editing) . . . I just found myself shaking my head as that disappointing feeling came over me as I thought to myself, “please, don’t let this be another sequel of a great game that doesn’t quite live up to the original.” I want to be taken on a journey that I care about . . . to a place where I feel responsible for my actions and without me sitting at my computer every night trying to “save the day” . . . bad things will happen. Unreal II almost appears to be a SP version of UT2003 . . . the tragedy in my book.

I think FPS games, which I feel have needed to take a step forward for about 3 or 4 years now, have yet to evolve to where the majority of us know they can go and want them to be so badly. Again, this is my opinion and I'm speaking exclusively about the SP gaming experience.

What are your thoughts? Although I'm not writing Unreal II off in anyway, my expectations and hopes for SP nirvana rest squarely on Doom III.

Nostromo

This comment was edited on Jan 11, 23:52.

Hrm...
Jan 10, 2003, 20:32
Hrm... Jan 10, 2003, 20:32
Jan 10, 2003, 20:32

I was gonna talk about the U2 trailer, but apparently to topic took a wrong turn somewhere.

Nonetheless, that's the shittiest game trailer I've seen in a while. Crap editing, horrible background music, hell, the logos look like they've been done using stock Paintshop Pro filters!

And I havent seen animation this wooden in a long while.

The stills of U2 look awesome, though. Lets just hope that trailer was just showing the worst parts.

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 20:33.

Jan 10, 2003, 15:01
Re: Forget it Jake, its Chinatown... Jan 10, 2003, 15:01
Jan 10, 2003, 15:01

If developers made money from mods based on their games they wouldn't have to bother making games themselves would they

Yeah and how many games has Valve made? One. TF2 is vaporware. If it ever does come out its time will have most likely past it by. Half-Life 2 hasn't announced and frankly I doubt Valve has put work into it.

What keeps Valve alive is the sale of the half-dozen or so repackages of Half-Life. What I meant by "Valve living off the mod community" was that the repackages keep selling not because of Half-Life but because of people wanting to play the mods. At least that's been my impression with some of the folks I know.

If you haven't noticed I have lost all respect Valve. It is BS that an excellent developer such as Black Isle, who have released several quality titles as opposed to Valve's one, doesn't have the cash reserves necessary to go into a long development period. As a result, they have to make quick games that are sure to sell a few copies, as opposed to say Fallout 3 or another Planescape game, in order to keep their nose above water. Valve on the other hand can make one good game, and then do nothing for five years and still not have to worry about finances.

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 15:03.

Jan 10, 2003, 09:17
Re: Forget it Jake, its Chinatown... Jan 10, 2003, 09:17
Jan 10, 2003, 09:17

'If developers made money from mods based on their games they wouldn't have to bother making games themselves would they'

and how would they make money from mods to a game they never made?

Single player isn't old school, multiplayer isn't standard. If you want a really great multiplayer game these days you have to spend as much time on it as you would the single player, otherwise it is 'tacked on'. See MOH and NOLF. Also see RtCW where they did spend as much time on both and the game came out with a higher price tag and took far far longer to reduce in price on the shop shelf.

Saying 'Its all about money' is a non statement. For the publisher, of course it is. For the developer who have already got their money, it's all down to making a great game. Unreal 2 couldn't have an mp mode that will compete with UT2 unless they spent at least another 18 months on the game, something I personally don't want.

96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  ] Older