PlanetSide Letter

There's a new PlanetSide Letter on the official website for Sony Online Entertainment's upcoming MMOFPS (thanks PlanetSide Universe). Called a late first of the year letter by producer Dave Georgeson, the letter discusses their efforts at lowering the game's minimum system specs, status of the upcoming external beta, progress on testing, and a reiteration that they are still shooting for a release by the end of this quarter.
View : : :
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Georgeson=LOSE
Jan 7, 2003, 12:31
Re: Georgeson=LOSE Jan 7, 2003, 12:31
Jan 7, 2003, 12:31

His attitude is that the gamers dont know what they want, so why not force them into a subscription-based gameplay, since Everquest has been so profitable
1.) Tribes 2 wasn't subscription-based, nor was it ever going to be.
2.) Planetside has always been planned as a subscription-based game, like all MMO's.
Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

Re: Georgeson=LOSE
Jan 7, 2003, 07:48
Re: Georgeson=LOSE Jan 7, 2003, 07:48
Jan 7, 2003, 07:48

make no mistake, Dave Georgeson is very much the one that destroyed Tribes2. His attitude is that the gamers dont know what they want, so why not force them into a subscription-based gameplay, since Everquest has been so profitable.

Forced people into subscription based gaming? Here's a little fact: Planetside as, a MMOG (subscription based) was in developemnt while Georgeoson was still working on Tribes 2. In what way is HE forcing anyone. You either pay 2 play or you don't. Its not a medication where your life depends on it and your railroaded into paying for it.

So, in order to do that, his twisted logic is to lower the system spec so that more users can play.

Your RIGHT....that devious bastard!

Public Test betas set a standard and tell the PC community WHAT IS EXPECTED OF THEM. instead of making us feel like dumbasses for spending top dollar to buy the best hardware with the latest features and then delivering a game that looks like ass, just to please those that dont want to upgrade from their Voodoo and MX class grafix cards

I am speechless.

Dave Georgeson is only getting hired these days, because he says what the Corporate Execs want to hear.

yeah, what an absolute loser to get hired by Sony to head what could be a genre defining game. He might as well go do janitorial work.

BTW, you've got the wrong forum. Isn't this the place you intended to post?

http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/

-Hump

Update: I'm now wondering if I just fell for Flamebait....

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 08:12.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Georgeson=LOSE
Jan 7, 2003, 05:57
Georgeson=LOSE Jan 7, 2003, 05:57
Jan 7, 2003, 05:57

make no mistake, Dave Georgeson is very much the one that destroyed Tribes2. His attitude is that the gamers dont know what they want, so why not force them into a subscription-based gameplay, since Everquest has been so profitable.
So, in order to do that, his twisted logic is to lower the system spec so that more users can play. He couples this with a secrecy-based development process that NEVER does public beta so that the game premiers amidst media hype and hi expectation. (as if UT2003, or Q3 or so many others are doing public test betas for no reason).
Public Test betas set a standard and tell the PC community WHAT IS EXPECTED OF THEM. instead of making us feel like dumbasses for spending top dollar to buy the best hardware with the latest features and then delivering a game that looks like ass, just to please those that dont want to upgrade from their Voodoo and MX class grafix cards.
Dave Georgeson is only getting hired these days, because he says what the Corporate Execs want to hear. I will never buy a product associated with him and will make sure none of my friends do either. pssh, wait till you see how he handles patches.. ha ha ho ho hee hee.

Release Date
Jan 7, 2003, 03:27
Release Date Jan 7, 2003, 03:27
Jan 7, 2003, 03:27

"...and a reiteration that they are still shooting for a release by the end of this quarter..."

It's being done by Verant, if anyone can rush a game out the door in time to make a street date it's them.

lower minimum system specs
Jan 7, 2003, 01:22
lower minimum system specs Jan 7, 2003, 01:22
Jan 7, 2003, 01:22

I sure hope he wasn't part of the team of highly qualified professionals that managed to assrape Tribes 2, what was then the finest multiplayer game out there, in a matter of two weeks and three patches.

Also, the ONLY way to lower minimum system specs, is to lower demand on said system specs.
To DO that, you can either

1) Optimize severely. However, most programmers for the PC can't be bothered to do this, since having your customers buy the latest graphics card achieves exactly the same thing, why go through all that effort?

2) Lame the graphics and the levels (see Tribes 2). Which would mean it will look like Quake 2 when it finally comes out.

I sure hope they know what they're doing...

Creston

Re: Dave Georgeson
Jan 7, 2003, 00:33
Sty
Re: Dave Georgeson Jan 7, 2003, 00:33
Jan 7, 2003, 00:33
Sty

"I've been reviewing the official forums and fan sites on a daily basis for the last month or so now." = forum whoring. I guess old habits die hard, eh Dave?

You know selling dlc before you patch the client doesn't impress upon me the need to support your shit. -massdev

Re: Dave Georgeson
Jan 6, 2003, 21:47
Re: Dave Georgeson Jan 6, 2003, 21:47
Jan 6, 2003, 21:47

Do people who smoke crack go 'hic?'

~Jedi

Dave Georgeson
Jan 6, 2003, 21:30
nin
Dave Georgeson Jan 6, 2003, 21:30
Jan 6, 2003, 21:30
nin

Isn't this the moron who killed Tribes? Or am I smoking crack again (hic!)?

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older