Derek Smart Q&A

The Derek Smart Q&A on CanadianGamer.ca is the conclusion of their three-part conversation with the founder of 3000AD about his Battlecruiser series of space simulations. Topics include progress on Battlecruiser Generations, his reasons for planning to conclude the series after BC Online, the reason for canceling Battlecruiser Tactical Command, his planned Xbox project, and more.
View : : :
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: 18
Jan 6, 2003, 20:05
Re: 18 Jan 6, 2003, 20:05
Jan 6, 2003, 20:05

Ahhh...I see. Regarding people like that I honestly have no idea. I have to believe that a percentage of these people just spit out that stuff on reflex but are in the "appreciation of idiot paradox" catagory. Of course, that means there has to be people that are in the catagory you have described. My guess is that most are kiddies and the rest are...well...total freaks and beyond my ability to rationalize...heh.

Re: Ha
Jan 6, 2003, 18:45
Re: Ha Jan 6, 2003, 18:45
Jan 6, 2003, 18:45

Pete, who do you think is/was hated more, Smart or TEH ROMERO?

Tough one huh?

Good reading on both sides.

romero is hated because he promised us a good game
smart is hated because its our fault his games dont work as they should

i have more respect for romero because he (to my knowledge) lashed out on his fans for messing up.

Doin' it Big

Jan 6, 2003, 12:36
Re: Ha Jan 6, 2003, 12:36
Jan 6, 2003, 12:36

hehe maybe your right #20

Maybe his PhD (which he doesn't seem to want to tell anybody what its in) is in... Smart Assology

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering - Bruce Lee"
===
B: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

Jan 6, 2003, 10:30
Re: Ha Jan 6, 2003, 10:30
Jan 6, 2003, 10:30

I've enjoyed watching the Derek scene for years (and yes I've played various incarnations of BC) and personally have to believe no one could be this much of a sociopath.

Rather, I think he behaves this way because he knows it will incite some, rally others, and in the end he gets exactly what he wants - scores of people talking about his... *cough* games.

Jan 6, 2003, 09:35
Re: Ha Jan 6, 2003, 09:35
Jan 6, 2003, 09:35

Romero was a smart ass when it was the time to be one. All the hype of FPS was on a roll and money was hoozing from anywhere. Made one bad and then bye-bye. He's very quiet now with Monkey Gem/Stone ? Whatever, he's quiet.

Smart (ironic that name for this fellow) on the other hand made many errors, continues to make them and blames everyone, the market, industry, people with internet connection and a keyboard (on this one he's right lol), the distriutors, the clients.

On some issues he's right but even on those he was acting like an ass.

IMO, Smart has the upper hand on the public opinion for being the worst. I think he will never learn and he will forever be marked.

Romero did the wise thing, left the PC business gaming industry. Anyway, pretty sure u can buy a Ferrari these days by selling Monkey games

So it's Romero 0 and Smart 1 ...

Re: Someone always has to bring this up
Jan 6, 2003, 09:28
Re: Someone always has to bring this up Jan 6, 2003, 09:28
Jan 6, 2003, 09:28

I know that paradox, but it's a different one to the one I mean to question (I should have been more specific). It's one thing to think someone is a total asshole and find their words interesting, but it's something totally different when you cause oneself continuous aggravation over reading of someone elses words... such as 'scorch' does.

For the others who question why he keeps making revisions of different Battlecruiser titles, I'm wondering as to why that effects you in anyway if you don't even buy his games?

I bought BCM but returned it cause it just wasn't captivating (gameplay sure if you took the time to learn it and you had an overactive imagination, I didn't) and the mediocre graphics and sounds didn't help.

Interesting reading yes, but some of your peoples logic I can't grasp. (Of course there will be some knuckle head who just responds with insults or grammatical errors but I'm hoping someone can at least explain some of this crazy logic)

Jan 6, 2003, 08:32
Re: Ha Jan 6, 2003, 08:32
Jan 6, 2003, 08:32

but this is funny. people hate the guy so much, good reading atleast.

Pete, who do you think is/was hated more, Smart or TEH ROMERO?

Tough one huh?

Good reading on both sides.

-TPFKAS2S
-TPFKAS2S

Someone always has to bring this up
Jan 6, 2003, 07:18
Someone always has to bring this up Jan 6, 2003, 07:18
Jan 6, 2003, 07:18

"If you guys don't like him why do you keep reading up on him?"

You can't figure it out? I'll spell it out for you. He's an interesting moron. The typical idiot with nothing going for him but the large empty space between his or her ears rapidly falls off the radar and into obscurity. Mr. Smart, however, is a paradox of retardation. We have what appears to be a reasonably intelligent person who says and does very stupid things with his characteristic aplomb in full effect. I can think he's total asshole and still find what he has to say interesting.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 07:19.

Re: No subject
Jan 6, 2003, 06:42
Re: No subject Jan 6, 2003, 06:42
Jan 6, 2003, 06:42

If you guys don't like him why do you keep reading up on him? Specifically if you are becoming sick of his excuses, why keep reading?

No subject
Jan 6, 2003, 04:19
No subject Jan 6, 2003, 04:19
Jan 6, 2003, 04:19

Doesnt this guy have to wear a bicycle helmet or something?

This is why you dont let the mentally handicapped make computer "games"

Jan 6, 2003, 02:07
Re: No subject Jan 6, 2003, 02:07
Jan 6, 2003, 02:07

And if it stops being profitable, despite my efforts, I'll just pull the plug and they [fanbase] will only have themselves to blame - because it will be the last time they get to play such a game again. Ever.

Let me get this straight Mr. Smart. If there are not enough subscribers to what will undoubtedly be a sub-par product, you're going to hike up the subscription cost. If the user base then refuses to pay the higher subscription fee, you give the user base the finger and pull the plug.

Can anyone say arrogant ass?

Before reading this interview, I had always assumed this guy had just caught some undeserved flak. Now it's become clear he deserves every bit of it. The guy that likened this asshole to Romero was spot on. Um, Mr. Smart where is your Doom II? That way you can at least have an older products quality to fall back on.

Ha
Jan 5, 2003, 23:59
Ha Jan 5, 2003, 23:59
Jan 5, 2003, 23:59

Never played Battle Cruiser, don't think i ever will.

but this is funny. people hate the guy so much, good reading atleast.

Doin' it Big

Re: Funny
Jan 5, 2003, 21:35
Re: Funny Jan 5, 2003, 21:35
Jan 5, 2003, 21:35

why do you call me a troll that is insiduous

Funny
Jan 5, 2003, 20:59
Funny Jan 5, 2003, 20:59
Jan 5, 2003, 20:59

Sometimes I think Derek is the world's greatest troll. He's much better than amateurs like frederickson and Needles. I wonder if maybe he should see a shrink or something...

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Jan 5, 2003, 19:55
Re: No subject Jan 5, 2003, 19:55
Jan 5, 2003, 19:55

#1, we don't flame him because he's evil. We flame him because he makes mediocre games, and blames everyone but himself for the failures. He's a jerk.

As far as my opinion... BC3K is a good game that's buggy with a horrible interface. He WAS screwed over my Take Two, but he's milked that one insult for 5 years now. And he is so convinced of his own perfection and superiority that he is incapable of seeing the faults in himself or his game design choices. He will never be a good game designer because he refuses to accept the feedback of his players.

I won't buy BCO.

Ancient

No subject
Jan 5, 2003, 18:06
No subject Jan 5, 2003, 18:06
Jan 5, 2003, 18:06

Creston hit it right on the nose. I've held off commenting since my initial post on the first installment because I was getting such a "kick" watching the reactions. I could have written three pages as to why this character deserves NO respect.. but it was fun just watching a few of the "faithful" getting mangled.

It's a very used; tired concept.. but I'll say it again: Love him or hate him.. the guy DOES know how to bring out the controversy.

I put it this way:

There are a LOT of people in this world I never could like. Charles Barkley and Mohhamed Ali to name a couple. I never liked them because of their cocky attitudes and the way they came across in public; but Barkley is a helluva basket ball player and Mohammed.. well.. is.. IMHO.. the greatest athlete that ever lived. I GIVE them credit for what they are.. it doesn't mean I like them as people.

In Mr. Smart's case.. he talks the talk.. but he CAN'T walk the walk. He simply has no credentials or successes to back him up. I seriously doubt whether DS has sold 65,000 copies of BC 2000 (maybe worldwide; where's the proof guy? Show me the figures.. NOT on his site either.). At any rate though, 65K would still be a "blip" on the radar compared to a "mega-hit".

I bought the original BC 2000; then I went ahead and bought BC2000 v2.X from Interplay (hey.. it was only $10); then I got my hands on BC Millenium [ no.. I DIDN'T buy it ]. Know what? they ALL looked; played and sounded the same. All were buggy as hell; and a major PITA to get running on ANY machine.

Yes; I've perused DS' website as well.. hung out in his forum and watched the way HE and his little boot-lickers treat legitimate customers with legitimate questions.. it's very pathetic. The man is a classic case of a "super-ego" and would give any good psychiatrist a "field day". Hell.. I even remember the days years back (right after the release of the initial BC 2000) when "God" himself would even come onto the AOL and Compuserve game message boards (I signed up just to watch the "circus") and VERY nastily flame those who criticised him. He was as immature as those who flamed him (and yes; it WAS him. He openly admitted it himself back then).

As for the comment I made about him being black.. sh*t.. I didn't even know what color he was until two years later when he put up that same picture of him on his website. Look at that picture of him in this interview.. I haven't visited his site in years.. but I recognize that picture.. it must be the only one he has.. and it just "oozes" cockiness and arrogance.. look at his expression. I could care less if he was "green".. if he was a good game developer.. he'd HAVE my respect.. but he's not. He's 3rd rate at best.

I just get REALLY sick and tired of hearing this guy always spouting excuses for ALL of his failures and it's NEVER his fault. "I decided to distribute BC Millenium with EB because I DON'T like big distributors" (paraphrased). Come on Derek.. you went with EB because after your first fiasco.. NOBODY wanted YOU! I haven't read this third installment yet (You can bet I will though); but I can't wait to hear his excuse for not porting to the X-Box.. geez Derek; could it be because MS likes to put out titles that sell more than a dozen copies for their console and won't give you the time of day? With Mr. Smart.. it's ALWAYS I.. I.. I; and me.. me.. me.. I get sick of it. He sound's like a whiney; spoilt; over-bearing 16-year old "beauty queen". I'm very serious when I have to say that in my life's travels (I'm 46.. BTW) I've NEVER met ANYONE so much I love to "hate". I just wish someone would shove a couple dozen of his rejection letters in that "pie-hole" and shut him up.

Like I said before.. I lump him right in there with our good buddy John Romero. He was a "demi-god" as well.. always BS'ing about his big "roles" in developing some of the greatest "classic" games of all time (Granted.. he had "some" proof).. but when it came time to show what he could muster up solo.. on his own.. he gave us the POS that is "Daikatana" <sic>. Where is he now? Yeah.. he's probably tell you he WANTED to make Gameboy Advance games for a living. Sheesh.. these kind of arrogant non-achievers kill me. Some people just have to over-compensate for low self-esteem I guess.

Re: BC online
Jan 5, 2003, 17:12
Re: BC online Jan 5, 2003, 17:12
Jan 5, 2003, 17:12

@6 - maybe he's carrying on the BC shit until he gets it right ?

There_is_no_god

===

P: I think so, Brain, but where are we going to find a duck and a hose at this hour?

Jan 5, 2003, 17:06
Re: BC online Jan 5, 2003, 17:06
Jan 5, 2003, 17:06

While I can't tell you much, I can tell you that it will not be a Battlecruiser game. At all. It only takes place in the Battlecruiser world, features most of its characters and will sport the same open ended and multi-genre game play in the dynamic freeform universe that my Battlecruiser games are notorious for.

When is this man going to stop with the Battlecruiser shit? He's been making the same game throughout his entire career, and when he finally decides to try something "new" it still isn't original.

Jan 5, 2003, 16:59
Re: BC online Jan 5, 2003, 16:59
Jan 5, 2003, 16:59

Can't wait to see what his fanclub say to defend him over this... sure its an easy knee jerk reaction to have a go at Derek Smart (he makes it soooo tempting and is always kind enough to bring along his own ammunition) but this is plain idiotic.

===

Jan 5, 2003, 15:39
Re: No subject Jan 5, 2003, 15:39
Jan 5, 2003, 15:39

Good God man, punctuation and spelling are your friends. Use them. And from what I understand, many people hate this Derek Smart fellow because he acts like an ass, always, to everybody. That'll do it.

Anyway, it's nice to know I'm helping to "ruin this planet." Here I thought I was just sitting on my ass playing silly computer games.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older