Splinter Cell Demo Planned

A post to the Ubi Soft General Discussion Forums (thanks Shacknews) has word that a demo of the stealthy third-person Tom Clancy game should be released at some point next week. Here's the deal: "I'm please to say that the PC Demo of Splinter Cell will be available to download from Thursday December 19th on the official website. We will confirm the exact time during next week."
View : : :
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Jesus H. Christ!
Dec 16, 2002, 18:14
Jesus H. Christ! Dec 16, 2002, 18:14
Dec 16, 2002, 18:14

I only asked for someone to name some of the differences between the XBOX version of SC and the PC version. 24 replies later, we have another console war. Can someone PLEASE answer my original question?

Oh, if I may have my 2 cents. I really, really, really enjoy PC games, games like WC3, UT2k3, Half-Life, etc. But what I was sick of was the upgrade cycle I was locked in. In Australia, an XBOX, 3 games (Halo, JSRF and Sega GT 2002), DVD Remote and two controllers will cost you AU$444, around USD$230, which is damn cheap. I got XBOX when it was released in March, but when the prices came down got 2 free games and a controller, which was cool. Anyway, I have a 1ghz AMD Athlon with 256mb RAM and a Kyro 2 graphics card, along with an SB Audigy. That can play all current games, albeit slowly. I was faced with upgrading my PC (another $1200) or half that for a new gaming system, were I didn't need to worry about upgrades, except for a new XBOX 2/PS3, which would still be cheaper than all the PC upgrades purchased before then. I like being able to lie down on my couch, having fun (which is what gaming is all about), with some beer and corn chips right by my side. I don't like the idea of having to sit upright in a chair in a cramped room to play games.

I am not saying that consoles are better than PC's. I love both formats, but when all the games that I want on PC are coming out on XBOX, the choice is so much clear cut for me. I use my PC for web browsing, MSN/AIM and work, thats it. The XBOX has the games I want to play and then some, games like HALO or Unreal Championship or Deathrow, these are games I want to play. I still enjoy PC gaming, I just enjoy XBOX gaming more. For others, I am sure it is vise versa. Games are meant to be fun (why I returned Hitman 2) and this is where most flame wars start and stop.

Re: No subject
Dec 14, 2002, 11:35
Re: No subject Dec 14, 2002, 11:35
Dec 14, 2002, 11:35

My personal problem with consoles is the overall siplicity of gameplay and naive-stories, all of the damn games are sooo simplified so that all 14 dumbasses could grab and play. Also every damn game is loaded with anime, in every damn game you can see something "copied" from some good book or even movie and made into anime-bull... this goes for PS2.

While Xbox is moving to the PC game-style and I like it, while it still isnt perfect for me I still think it's the only console worth the time.

BTW, jsut cant wait for SC!!! w00t w00t

No subject
Dec 14, 2002, 07:02
No subject Dec 14, 2002, 07:02
Dec 14, 2002, 07:02

I knew that was the statement I was going to make that would be misconstrued, so rather than try to catch it, I'm simply going to say right now I'm omitting that statement from my previous post. It was not my intention to belittle what a revolutionary game Thief was (no big surprise seeing as it was Looking Glass, Ultima Underworld anyone?)

Those are very good points, and I do agree with every one of them, but that was not the focal point of my argument, it was only intended as a support that went awry, I was only including examples to try to reinforce my idea about the roles that PCs and Consoles have a tendency to play in the evolution of game design.

So, I'll edit that phrase out so we're not nitpicking on that minor detail.

Edit: To elaborate further, my intention was to drive the conversation more towards the distinctions between console and PC gaming, if any. I obviously struck a nerve by saying these games evolved from previous greats, and that somehow got misconstrued that those games were inferior by comparison. My opinion is that Thief was a far better game than MGS2, but the evolution on that was misinformed, it was only particular aspects of the stealth genre I found moved from thief, but the same aspects were simply evolutionary from the original NES Metal Gears. In regards to Halo's control scheme however, you may be of the opinion that mouse and keyboard will always be better for FPS than a gamepad (and personally I agree wholeheartedly). That was not my point. My point was that halo took the limitations of the gamepad and pushed it to the limit with what is the most intuitive and flexible control scheme I've seen in a console FPS to date, where credit is also largely due to the excellent design of the XBOX S-Controller (funny how we saw them go from the worst controller design ever to, IMO, the best controller design ever)

Anyhow, I'm rambling again, so I'll stop there.

-DSR

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 07:10.

MGS vs Thief
Dec 14, 2002, 04:49
MGS vs Thief Dec 14, 2002, 04:49
Dec 14, 2002, 04:49

MGS2's stealth system has next to nothing derived from the Thief series.

MGS works by distracting the player from the holes in the AI through scripting. AI detection works with sight cones: if they see you, they go into gonzo find snake mode, asskicking guards of death teleport in. You hide in certain scripted hiding spots, and then everything goes back to normal.

Thief, on the otherhand, has a fairly in depth AI. The whole concepts of light detection and sound propagation (sound won't magically travel through walls and will echo and be occluded somewhat realistically) isn't in MGS at all, but beyond that, there are procedural layers to their AI. If they think they see you, they'll investigate a bit or be more cautious, and if something sets them off then it'll be alarm mode and they'll hunt you down. Sometimes, if an AI guard is within range he'll come and lend assistance. If you stay hidden for a while they'll eventually go back to normal.

While the systems appear similar in practice, Thief's is clearly more robust. Thief's AI works the same in every situation; MGS's has to be specifically catered to a specific circumstance. Result? MGS gets heavily, heavily linear. Thief's system allows for more creativity in sneaking past things.

As a side note, I can't fucking wait for Thief 3 and Deus Ex 2. Guards spotting your shadow? Movable, dynamic light sources? Hiding in shadows cast by in-game actors? YES PLEASE! Oh, I forgot the also-promised features of AI calling for backup that's not spawned in (they will come from other sections of the map) and working together to fan out and track you down.

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 04:51.

Re: Splinter Cell
Dec 14, 2002, 03:03
Re: Splinter Cell Dec 14, 2002, 03:03
Dec 14, 2002, 03:03

halo had a story?

Re: Splinter Cell
Dec 14, 2002, 02:07
Re: Splinter Cell Dec 14, 2002, 02:07
Dec 14, 2002, 02:07

What are you talking about? MGS2 was a pretty decent game, but it wasn't as good as the Thief games. HALO had pretty cool physics and a neat story. But the simple fact is that console controllers suck hideously compared to a keyboard/mouse combo for FPS games. There will never be a good FPS game on a console until they come up with a controller that gives you the kind of precision and flexibility you get with a keyboard and mouse. Oh yeah, and console multiplayer sucks.

Yes, there are good and bad games for both consoles and the PC, but PC games have been much better for much longer. You may notice that as the consoles get better, they are also becoming more PC-like, such as adding hard drives. Now if you could play console games on a screen with 1280x1024 resolution it would really rock. TV resolution just sucks.

I think the console will reach perfection when it eventually becomes a PC

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

Splinter Cell
Dec 14, 2002, 01:23
Splinter Cell Dec 14, 2002, 01:23
Dec 14, 2002, 01:23

LOL, I was wondering why there were 20 comments about just the demo info, I just wanted to leverage my little bit of extreme joy (because we all know how little I mention how much I fucking love Splinter Cell) And I see a reiteration of the whole Console vs. PC debate.

Simply put, there's not much that i see thats valid besides #8's argument, and I'm just ashamed I wasn't here earlier to present something similar

I am a fan of both console and PC, theres just as many childish and trite games on PC as there are on console, and just as many rich, dynamic, simply enjoyable games as well. The simple fact is I do not base a game whether it has a gamepad or keyboard and mouse, I do not base a game whether it is static or dynamic, I do not base a game whether it is online or not. I give them far more credit than that. I base games on HOW THEY UTILIZE such elements. And I'm happy to say that amazing strides have been made on both ends.

There has always seemed to be two trends emerging however: PC games pioneer new dynamics and genres, while consoles perfect them. While of course there are always exceptions, there are very few ***EDIT: EXAMPLES BLANKED DUE TO MISCONSTRUEMENTS***

But, all this rhetoric simply boils down to #8, its simply what you like. And I like it all, as long as it is good. If it sucks, I dont give a shit if it sucks on XBOX, PC, or commodore 64 for that matter. If it rules, it rules platform independent.

EDIT: Oh yeah, in regards to the actual SC demo (which I seem to have forgotten during one of my Dennis Miller-style rants) MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!! Hell, thats all I need, put away the fruitcakes and peanut brittle. Now, if only Planetside releases on time, the day after my birthday. <big wuv to all hardworking developers in the world>

-DSR

This comment was edited on Dec 14, 07:03.

Re: No subject
Dec 14, 2002, 01:11
Re: No subject Dec 14, 2002, 01:11
Dec 14, 2002, 01:11

Gimme gimme gimme

Re: Heh.
Dec 13, 2002, 23:55
Re: Heh. Dec 13, 2002, 23:55
Dec 13, 2002, 23:55

but I'm hung like a hamster.

Please accept my condolences.

-TPFKAS2S
-TPFKAS2S

Dec 13, 2002, 23:31
Re: Heh. Dec 13, 2002, 23:31
Dec 13, 2002, 23:31

I have a twelve inch penis and balls the size of chicken eggs. I also have a couple consoles and pc's. Is there a corilation between the two? I don't know. I just like to whip it out and put it on the table and watch what happens.

I've got 3 pc's, all 3 consoles, but I'm hung like a hamster. So that shoots that theory.

Dec 13, 2002, 23:05
Re: Heh. Dec 13, 2002, 23:05
Dec 13, 2002, 23:05

I have a twelve inch penis and balls the size of chicken eggs. I also have a couple consoles and pc's. Is there a corilation between the two? I don't know. I just like to whip it out and put it on the table and watch what happens.

-Tony!!!;)
-Tony!!!;)
my 360 user name is Robo Pop

Dec 13, 2002, 22:22
Re: Heh. Dec 13, 2002, 22:22
Dec 13, 2002, 22:22

Get into the holiday spirit, for pete's sake

bah humbug!!

i own a pc and a console, i enjoy both.

like indiv said leave me out of this.

Doin' it Big

Re: Differences??
Dec 13, 2002, 21:42
Re: Differences?? Dec 13, 2002, 21:42
Dec 13, 2002, 21:42

Resident Evil is mostly pre-rendered. but graphics on a console can beat graphics on a PC sometimes but not consistantly , e.g. Halo, actual bump mapping and huge landscapes, what PC fps game has bump mapping? l
Look at metroid prime! it looks awesome. but those are just looks and consoles have the advantage of all having the same spec therefore better graphics can be achieved by the programmer knowing that the game is going to be be played by 1 set configurations and not the thousands of diffrent configurations of the PC. same goes for mac's.
BTW, i only own a PC, no consoles.

-M][ke
LEMMIWINKS! NOOO!!! -Butters
-M][ke
"They call them fingers but I never see them fing.... oh, there they go."
Otto, The Simpsons.

Dec 13, 2002, 20:59
indiv

Re: Heh. Dec 13, 2002, 20:59
Dec 13, 2002, 20:59
 indiv

for pete's sake.

Uh oh, now you've gone and brought pete into it.

Dec 13, 2002, 20:41
Re: Heh. Dec 13, 2002, 20:41
Dec 13, 2002, 20:41

As long as the games industry keeps on producing the goods, we are all winners.

Right on. This is the distillation of my statement.

I know people are always going to be motivated to argue about something, whether it be nvidia vs. ATI, or intel vs. AMD, or console vs. pc, or great tasting vs. less filling, but man, I'd rather be playing Metroid Prime. I think I'll go do that, actually.

(If anyone's looking for a great gift idea, you can pick up a Gamecube and Metroid Prime and get a 20 dollar gift certificate at Best Buy, ending tomorrow. Nintendo is also offering a coupon for 25 dollars off a GC, and five dollars off Metroid Prime, also ending tomorrow. So I got that stuff, and basically saved fifty bucks. Good deal....)

http://www.matthewrorie.com

Dec 13, 2002, 20:37
Re: Heh. Dec 13, 2002, 20:37
Dec 13, 2002, 20:37

Well, "these people" are both console owners and PC owners. You can't really have an argument with only one side that participates. I just find a lot of the arguments, including the ones in this thread, to be a bit trite and shopworn, perhaps because they're always rooted in opinions that are biased to begin with.

If it's fun, play it; don't try to convince someone else that they made a bad decision or bought something that's intended for children. I'm 23 and I love games! Regardless of whether or not PC games are more sophisticated, or console games are intended for wider audiences, a fun game is a fun game, and I enjoy all of them. Get into the holiday spirit, for pete's sake.

Dec 13, 2002, 20:27
Re: Heh. Dec 13, 2002, 20:27
Dec 13, 2002, 20:27

Now if that is not a sound argument (#8 Azraelot) then I don't know what is.

All I can say is... Amen. Different strokes for different folks. As long as the games industry keeps on producing the goods, we are all winners. It's geared towards our entertainment. The different platforms copy/steal/borrow from each other and the end result is better, more enjoyable products for you and me.

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 20:32.

Dec 13, 2002, 20:24
indiv

Re: Heh. Dec 13, 2002, 20:24
Dec 13, 2002, 20:24
 indiv

Since I own all three major consoles, and a few older ones, and a nice PC, I think it's odd how people who love to argue about this stuff seem to be so partisan about it.

Perhaps these people can only afford to purchase one console system. Therefore, they make it their goal to try to convince everyone (including themselves) that they made the best choice.

Re: Differences??
Dec 13, 2002, 20:19
Re: Differences?? Dec 13, 2002, 20:19
Dec 13, 2002, 20:19

And most PC games suck unless you want yet another generic 3D shooter. blah blah blah

#1) The comment that Console Games only appeal to MTV-fed teenagers is an exageration of a truth, not a lie. How many indepth Simulations do you find on consoles? None. How many roleplaying games that actually allow for a degree of roleplaying? None. How many multiplayer games that encourage teamwork and cooperation? Several, but only just coming out, PC has had many for years. How many cerebral and intellectually challenging games can you find on Consoles? In my console experience very few if any.

I could go on but the vast majority of console games fall into the following categories: Arcade Sports Games, Fighting, Platform Action, Movie Games (The Console "RPG") and very poorly done FPS.

Certainly the PC has its share of mindless action games but they are the exception as opposed to rule. Personally I have found far more compelling gaming experiences in the 4 years since I switched to PCs than the 10 previous years I spent on consoles.

#2) This argument can go round and round. When a new console tech is announced the games look beyond anything on PC or otherwise. By the time that console tech is brought to market the graphics are merely on par with the latest PC games. By 6 months after the release of the console, PC graphics go far beyond anything the console could imagine. This PC lead in graphics tends to hold untill the next console is announced 3 years later.

#3) I don't see what the Stereo/CD Player analogy has to do with being able to do more than just play games with consoles.

#4) This is the one area in which console have PCs beat. On the other hand a lot of people like to have a newer PC regardless of whether they are serious gamers. This tends to mean they already have a capable gaming platform without the expediture of a console system. Does it facilitate a high-end gaming experience? No. However, most people arn't gamers and thus are only likely to occasionally dabble in say The Sims, thus their mid- to low-end PC which they use for internet/work purposes is also a perfect gaming platform for their gaming needs.

On a side note, I'm completely stoked about the Splinter Cell Demo and can't wait till next Thursday.

This comment was edited on Dec 13, 20:20.

Heh.
Dec 13, 2002, 20:13
Heh. Dec 13, 2002, 20:13
Dec 13, 2002, 20:13

Ye Olde Console vs. PC argument - I can't tell you how much I chuckle at people who instigate / perpetuate these pointless things.

Here's a list of handy (and undeniable) facts:

1: Good games are enjoyable.
2: There are good games on every console system and the PC.

Lemma: If you think a game, or even all the games on a system are "bad", then that won't affect in the least the enjoyment of someone who thinks that they are good.

Since I own all three major consoles, and a few older ones, and a nice PC, I think it's odd how people who love to argue about this stuff seem to be so partisan about it. Newsflash! Games are fun! What's fun about arguing about stuff? No one's ever going to convince the "other side" that they're in the wrong, so what's the point?

That said, argue all you want, if you want to. I'm actually not even bothered by it. I just think it's silly.

edit: I moved the parentheses symbol.
http://users.ign.com/collection/Azraelot
This comment was edited on Dec 13, 20:15.
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older