UT2003 Patch Plans

A post on Unreality offers details on the additions and changes planned for the upcoming Unreal Tournament 2003 patch, which is currently undergoing beta testing. The extensive list includes changes to gameplay, the HUD and menus, AI, networking, mod support, the engine, D3D/OpenGL, audio, and the oft-discussed demo feature.
View : : :
71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: #57
Dec 11, 2002, 04:59
Re: #57 Dec 11, 2002, 04:59
Dec 11, 2002, 04:59

Reply from Reno's Post

Who am I calling names? I just said there are a lot of jack asses and idiots out there, and it seems to me that most of them happen to be one sided loud mouthed closed minded people, or in other words, the majority of the UT2003 haters. You seem to be trying to bed a personal attack on me. Your right, nobody has to give UT2003 a chance... especially if you’re a close minded jackass idiot! :-P It's ok if you are though! Your right, nobody owes epic, the creator of the best 1st person shooters ever (my opinion), the company that has almost single handedly thrown the 3d gaming world into the future, the company that has given more product support and generated more community interaction to it's games than any other game I've ever seen, nobody owes them a thing. They did it all for a mere forty bucks to buy the game. That's as far as your commitment goes. If you want to bitch and whine it’s YOUR FREAKING RIGHT to do so, although be careful, you might look like a jackass!

You said you don't like UT2003 because it "doesn't feel right"... ok, I wont argue with that, it's pretty general, but valid.
I also agree map design is poor, not "very poor" but could have been better.
No demo recording on release is one of your top reasons for not liking the game? Wow, you must really have gotten it on with demo recording. I think I did six demos in four years with UT... all clan matches. That's it. Nice feature, but not exactly the main bowel of cheese for my whine in considering a game.
What leading edge graphically superior game do you know of that can run on a Pentium II 300MHz without the expense of game play? LOL, that reason is just lame. Of course there will be an expense of game play in favor of the best graphics! That's why they threw in the little tab in your menus that you can turn off or down the super high res graphics. They are designing a game for leading edge technology! Hello McFly! Not like Blizzards goof up by releasing DII in low res sprite graphics. Great game, but the tables were reversed and everyone wanted graphics, despite the great game play. Bitch bitch bitch bitch!!! Whaaaaaaaa! I have an AMD XP 1800+ gig on a Geforce Ti4600 and run the game flawlessly (45-95fps) in all the highest settings everything ON at 1024X768, and my system is only middle of the line. Sounds like you need an upgrade mister!

Oh yes, and your opinion really hurt my feelings... Dude are you like 12 or something?

Like a stated in my original post, I expected UT2003 to be a 10, found it was a 6, then found it to be more like an 8 after really giving it a fair chance. You can feel differently, I don't care it's just my opinion, and you probably suck :-P If you don't like something, be productive and give constructive critisisim or something like they teach you on Sesame Street. Don't just turn every forum you visit into a rant and whine page. One thing I've really noticed... everyone I've ever played UT2003 online with that whined about the game... really sucked ASS! I mean the more you killed them, the whinier they got. Not everyone that sucked whined. And not everyone that thinks the game blows whined, but yes, everyone that whined sucked. See the correlation?

I didn’t force myself to like the game, so I’m not pathetic (You name caller! Whaaaa! Mommy, he hurt my feelings!!) I did force myself to give the game the chance it needs to be realized to it’s potential. Just recently a UT2003 hating clan member of mine finally came around and said “Gee, this game isn’t so bad after all! Now that I know WTF I’m doing!” He still plays UT but plays UT2003 more and more and actually likes it!

Oh yea, and this is all just my opinion, I could be wrong. We’ll see for sure this time next year.

WW_Dagger
www.Clan-WW.com

This comment was edited on Dec 11, 05:12.

No subject
Dec 11, 2002, 00:13
No subject Dec 11, 2002, 00:13
Dec 11, 2002, 00:13

the great engine, bad game comment reminds me of quake 3

both are not my cup of tea. Day of Defeat till something better comes along.

ps. prettier does not equal better.

Doin' it Big

Re: UT2003 is CRAP!
Dec 10, 2002, 23:04
Re: UT2003 is CRAP! Dec 10, 2002, 23:04
Dec 10, 2002, 23:04

I think what most people lose sight of is that UT2003 was originally a console game (Unreal Championship) and it shows. e.g. lack of demo recording, some of the most annoying voice acting I've heard in any game, the weapon sounds and all the other little things.

Evilgoof: all the reasons you gave are spot on but that does not make the game crap. They're minor niggles compared to the abysmal state BF1942 was released in.

Back on Topic for a moment...
Dec 10, 2002, 19:08
D2
Back on Topic for a moment... Dec 10, 2002, 19:08
Dec 10, 2002, 19:08
D2

I personally am getting a bit anoyed with Epic anouncing patches and bonus packs that are no way near ready to be realeased. We 1st heard mention of this patch about 2 weeks after the release of the 1st patch. And the bonus pack weeks and weeks ago.
I get get sick of waiting for stuff like this and lose interest. I love UT2k3, if its not everyones taste then whatever. Dont play it. You can still play UT you know. Its still out there, and yes, there are still ALOT more people playing UT online than there are Playing 2k3. Go and do that rather than b1tch about 2k3.
BUT the realease was buggy and I know sometimes that has to go with the territory. If they are gonna release something buggy then they have to be prepared to release TIMELY fixes for the bugs. I for one cant use the redeemer because I STILL (even after the 1st patch that was supposed to fix it) have the view skew to one side and everything get messed up till I die. Surely they could have released a few hotfixes in the meantime while they betatest the patch. Yes, I want added content, but its more important to me that the game that was shipped actually works properly 1st. Priorities guys. And keep your traps shut untill maybe a week or so before you are ready to release something. People will play your game because its a good game, they arent gonna stoop just because you p1ssed them off, but still, is it anyway to treat your customers?

Dec 10, 2002, 14:31
Re: UT2003 is CRAP! Dec 10, 2002, 14:31
Dec 10, 2002, 14:31

This is a debate about UT2003 not English grammar.

I was pointing out a logic flaw. It had nothing to do with grammar.

On a completely and totally unrelated note, how old do you have to be before you can start using phrases like, "I weep for the future." and so on? Is there a firm required age?

Anyone?

Jeff

edit: spelling and added ironic smile icon.
This comment was edited on Dec 10, 14:36.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Computer over?
Virus = very yes?
That's not a good prize!

EvilGoof (Off topic for a minute)
Dec 10, 2002, 14:27
EvilGoof (Off topic for a minute) Dec 10, 2002, 14:27
Dec 10, 2002, 14:27

You idiots who like and defend UT2003 are the monority... who ever is responsible at DE/Epic should be shot. Get lost noobs.

Why don't you go kill yourself XEON? Nobody will miss you because nobody cares about you. You are a piece of rotten green pig shit...

You are all bumbling idiots

Why don't you come over a suck my dick Tony!!! ...you better watch your back you pile of donkey shit!

...I am the king troll around here and...

Nobody likes you here and if we ever find out who you are or where you live, we will come and kill you.

And you know what? Your oft-repeated "I'm a cool bully and I'll beat you up from behind this tall fence" routine is old, tired, and worn out. No one cares how mean you make yourself out to be.

m19

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 14:28.

Dec 10, 2002, 14:15
Re: UT2003 is CRAP! Dec 10, 2002, 14:15
Dec 10, 2002, 14:15

Jesus Christ Jeff.

This is a debate about UT2003 not English grammar.

The point still stands. Unreal Tournament 2003 is below expectations.

Dec 10, 2002, 14:09
Re: UT2003 is CRAP! Dec 10, 2002, 14:09
Dec 10, 2002, 14:09

It is not just my opinion that UT2003 is crap but a fact. [...] It is indeed a fact that UT2003 is garbage, not opinion.

Dude.

You really need to take a course in basic logic, study the scientific method, or get a better dictionary.
Also, while you're reminding yourself what "fact" vs. "opinion" means, be sure to look up the word "redundant."

Thank you from all of us,
Jeff

edit: spelling fix.
This comment was edited on Dec 10, 14:14.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Computer over?
Virus = very yes?
That's not a good prize!

Dec 10, 2002, 14:05
Re: UT2003 is CRAP! Dec 10, 2002, 14:05
Dec 10, 2002, 14:05

Well done EvilGoof.

I agreed. Wasted opportunity.

It feels completely wrong. Total anticlimax.Period.

Dec 10, 2002, 13:11
Re: UT2003 is CRAP! Dec 10, 2002, 13:11
Dec 10, 2002, 13:11

It is not just my opinion that UT2003 is crap but a fact. Here are some of my technical reasons: The 1st and 3rd person view cameras are out of sync which is why it does not feel right. The player scale against the world is off making every level "feel" wrong and the players look like midgets but 1st person is cramped... bad warped design plans Epic. there are less options in the menus than UT1. Assualt was the most popular offline gametype and is gone because people think that online multiplayer is all that mattered... bullshit, I bet over half of all UT1 players never went online and enjoyed the offline bots which makes UT a single player game as well. The weapons as well as the sounds of those weapons have been made week and dull making the game seem boring and less exciting. The characters are more cartoon like against the huge pickups and static mesh objects. They are less cool looking and voices have less personality and death sounds are not as powerful. The extensive use of jump-pads which made UT1 people hate Quake 3 is now a part of UT2003, bad move Epic. The announcer is the most annoying thing of all and even people who like the game agree on that. UT1 announcer sounded cool like Mortal Combat. UT2003 sounds like Tony the Tiger on crack.

There are many other reasons why UT2003 is a piece of garbage but it would take up all day so I will stop now. It is indeed a fact that UT2003 is garbage, not opinion. Forcing yourself to play it and like it makes you all pathetic losers. Deal with it noobs because I am off to play a game developed by people who still have a passion for their games... Battlefield 1942. UT2003 has no soul and it shows loud and clear to UT1 players. We can tell how little Epic cared about it and just need a product to bring in the funds. Epic and DE have lost all respect from the Unreal community and that is just a sad ending to what could have been. UT2003 is a dead turd and idiots like Morgan19 and Farmerbob-knob can go chasing it down the toilet for all care.

Re: UT2003 is GREAT!
Dec 10, 2002, 12:00
Re: UT2003 is GREAT! Dec 10, 2002, 12:00
Dec 10, 2002, 12:00

I agree with most of what you say Dagger. I started out with Unreal, and then went to UT when it came out based on my positive experience with the original Unreal. But, before that, I was a die-hard Id fan. Doom, DoomII, FinalDoom, Quake...etc. I loved em all. Still love playing Q3, and Q3 Team Arena (anyone remember that one?). Frankly, I don't give two farts about what anyone else thinks about a particular game. It is good to read objective reviews on gaming sites to gain some insight into how a game will play, look and run. But other than that, opinions are like A##holes: everyone has one, but some stink more than others. There will always be nihilistic nitwits out there to throw their little grenades into a discussion. Unfortunately that is one of the bad side affects of the, relative anonymity of the net. Kind of like the way people feel when driving in their cars....invincible, and un-touchable, and anonymous. Who cares what anyone says. If you like a game then ignore the trashers and talk to the people who feel the same way as you. I love UT2k3. Albeit, it does seem like they rushed it out the door. But, I am confident that, much like the original UT, the gaming community will come out with lots of great maps, skins, mods and the like for it. Which will make it, not only a great looking game, but a more varied and enjoyable gaming experience. Just like the original UT. I can't wait to see Unreal 2.

Re: #59
Dec 10, 2002, 11:36
Re: #59 Dec 10, 2002, 11:36
Dec 10, 2002, 11:36

He never said anything about "forcing" himself to like it, only that after giving UT2k3 "a chance," as you put it, UT seemed like an inferior/previous-gen product. If *you* don't want to try something, that's your call as well. Foolishly brash and quick to make a decision right at the start, but hey... Whatever. But personally, citing reasons like "no demo recording at release" (which has or will be added, if memory serves) is what's pathetic, honestly: a perfect example of wanting instant gratification and writing something off when you don't get it.

m19

This comment was edited on Dec 10, 11:46.

Dec 10, 2002, 10:52
#57 Dec 10, 2002, 10:52
Dec 10, 2002, 10:52

Hah, Dagger you started out nice and balanced but wtf is up with the name calling? That's unnecessary, kinda puts you at the same level as that loser FarmerBob guy.

Forcing yourself to like a game is a bit pathetic. Nobody has to give UT2003 a chance. It's OK to not like UT2003. It's just another product and nobody owes Epic anything.

Many people have given a lot of good reasons why they don't like it. I'm one of them and my reasons are: It doesn't feel right (yes that is a valid argument), map design is very poor, no demo recording on release, and a general emphasis on graphics on expense of gameplay. Bottom line: great engine, boring game. A disappointment after the brilliant UT, and there are far superior games out there. If these opinions hurt your feelings, well tough.

Re: UT2003 is GREAT!
Dec 10, 2002, 10:16
Re: UT2003 is GREAT! Dec 10, 2002, 10:16
Dec 10, 2002, 10:16

His name's EvilGoof. Remember it, and then ignore it whenever you see it.

Great post, too. It seems like people are so hell-bent on instant gratification that it takes time for games (or anything, for that matter) to gain a foothold. Your example of the quality mods/muts a year after UT was released is a great example... Heck, even Q2 still has great mods being released and refined. I think people are forgetting that just because something doesn't garner the masses' hallelujahs and praise within the first month of its release doesn't mean "it sucks," for lack of a better term, epecially when it can have a lifespan of years. Ut2k3 (and UT, before) have an edge, I think, because of the mutator system *as well* as regular mods... Some of the most fun I've had with the two games has been with the little things like Instagib or low grav games. Small changes, but nevertheless the games foresaw the possibility of "minimods" and made it easier to implement.

And for the record, I really miss the "Hall of Giants" UT CTF map. Someone needs to recreate it for UT2k3.

(EDIT-) Well speak of the devil!! As soon as I wrote that I did a quick search and it turns out there's already a Hall of Giants 2003. Eeeeeexcellent.

m19

UT2003 is GREAT!
Dec 10, 2002, 01:50
UT2003 is GREAT! Dec 10, 2002, 01:50
Dec 10, 2002, 01:50

OK, I was a BIG UT player, from the day it came out. I bought my PC upgrades with that game alone in mind. Been in 2 top 10 clans on 3 ladders, and probably only a few days a month that ever got by with out me firing it up online. I even hit the #1 spot in NGWorldStats a few times. (Doesn't mean I AM #1, just that I play A LOT). Anyway, I was sooo hyped up about UT2003. I watched the IRC rooms for 10 hours the day the demo was released and had it DL'd and installed minutes before the internet was nearly shut down from the bandwidth of thousands of UTers grabbing the demo (sorta a joke). I played the demo. With such great expectations, I was slightly disappointed, but I sure got good at CTF-Citidel! My full ver. copy finally came by Fed-EX (overnight of course!). Played it... still slightly disappointed. Why? What was the deal here? I continued to force myself to play the game. Slowly, it started to sink in. It was feeling better and better as I adjusted to the new feel and engine and moves. Suddenly one night I was called "133t" bec. I beat down 3 dudes vs only me in CTF (Not that I consider myself 1337, they just sucked a lot more than me :-x). They thought it impressive. (I only consider myself mediocre, though I have yet to get my ass handed to me in a random public game). After a couple of months, I fired up OLD UT. OMG did I suck now! OMG, OLD UT just felt like it was missing something! OMG, OLD UT was just weak feeling and everything felt soo limited! (Not to mention ugly, heh). I haven't played old UT since. I see no point in moving backwards after finally realizing the future and superiority of UT2003. The thing was that it just took longer to get familiar and used to the game than it did with old UT. Why? Maybe bec. it has soo much more depth. Maybe 3+ years of playing old UT conditioned my brain to the extent that the change was hugely difficult. I mean, it took 3 years to get really really good and now if I switched it would be all for nothing?! No, a guy just have to give UT2003 a chance with an open mind. If he does, he will, like me and others I know will see this same change take place. Sure this is all my opinion, and it may not ever come close to happening to you like it did for me. But at least I'm not ranting off like some jack ass moron with a self esteem problem. (I am a jack ass, but not right now My prediction is that UT2003 will be the sheeet within a year. UT had TONS of help by creative labs and other major OEM's distributing the game with their hardware. Hopefully the same happens with UT2003. The UT2003 haters I've seen post everywhere are just idiots. They never give an explanation of why they hate the game only vague crap like "It sucks" "It (feels) crappy)" "It blows", and about everything Evil?? (Forgot his whole name) posted in this thread. Honestly, I don't think UT2003 was as great as I expected, but it's definitely good, and a heluva better than anything else out there. EPIC, just keep the patches coming! After this next patch the game will be in a state I think it should have been in when it was released. I play almost every night if anyone wants to join me. Our clan server is always open to PUB and can be found here: 12.106.69.175 another one we have (not as good though) here: 65.209.232.3:8777

Cya! WW_Dagger

Re: No subject
Dec 9, 2002, 19:31
Re: No subject Dec 9, 2002, 19:31
Dec 9, 2002, 19:31

It's funny, as the post a few down states, most people cite the lack of Assault and the original Domination as two of the reasons that UT2k3 is a "failure," so to speak. Oddly enough though, there's a whole lot of people who didn't care for either mode and, therefore, like the game for what it is rather than constantly comparing it to something else. Maybe it's just me, but Assault was only a briefly-interesting gimmick that was rightfully left out for the sequel.

Also, how can you proclaim that the new maps and game mode won't make it "more fun" when you haven't even tried them yet? Riiiiight...

m19

No subject
Dec 9, 2002, 16:13
No subject Dec 9, 2002, 16:13
Dec 9, 2002, 16:13

ON with the update

Kinda OT
Dec 9, 2002, 15:39
Kinda OT Dec 9, 2002, 15:39
Dec 9, 2002, 15:39

is it just me or does nobody link with the link gun????
Its such a neat idea but I can only see it bieng used in either clan matches (with before hand practice / cordination) or in Link Arenas.

Thoughts?

Dec 9, 2002, 15:16
Re: No subject Dec 9, 2002, 15:16
Dec 9, 2002, 15:16

"Tells ya somethin, huh?" Yeah it tells me something retard, UT has been out alot longer and those servers have been established a long time, lots of them on boxes that the admin's rarely touch and just leave running UT because its there. Thats all it tells me though, certainly tells me nothing about the quality/fun of either game.

Dec 9, 2002, 14:46
Re: No subject Dec 9, 2002, 14:46
Dec 9, 2002, 14:46

While UT2k3 is easily the best looking shooter ever (actually, by a TON), I have to say the game is lacking in the 'fun' department aside from your standard deathmatch. What made the original UT was quality modes (ie assault and domination). The new domination is terrible, the CTF is pretty good, but there are some 'mail in' maps in that cycle. The bombing run mode has great potential and is a rather brilliant idea I first recall seeing back in Quake 2 with Powerball (woo powerball!!!!!!!!! best mod ever)... It's just... what the crap were they thinking with the maps? Those are just ctf maps IMO and don't really get the most out of this mode.

Frankly, I am not interested in the new maps/mode, because they aren't going to add the pure fun UT provided. Funny part is, it seems there are more UT servers than 2K3 ones. Tells ya somethin, huh?

71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older