Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

World of Warcraft Logs

The Blizzard developers at work on World of Warcraft, the upcoming MMORPG based on their Warcraft RTS series, attended a "semi-private" chat session yesterday to discuss progress on the game. There are now logs of the session on PlanetWarcraft, WorldofWar.net, and GamersAsylum.com. Each of the three logs is in an edited Q&A format.

View
1. Can Blizzard really support a MMORPG? Oct 25, 2002, 15:46 Alciril

Blizzard's art team is the best there is -- I'm sure the game will look absolutely fantastic. But can Blizzard really support a MMORPG? Blizzard's been known for putting out excruciatingly slow patches. Take Diablo II, for example. Look at all the rampant hacking and duping that took place. Even when it was first taking place, Blizzard stood firm and told everyone that it was just impossible. They didn't listen to the thousands of posts on their own messageboard from people who'd seen duped items.

Did they eventually fix the problem? Not entirely. They just deleted all the duped items, attributed the problem to a "Battle.net glitch", and went on their merry way. To my knowledge there are still ways to dupe on Battle.net. And what about maphack? That's a problem that they've had ever since Starcraft. Simple solution -- don't send the client any packets they aren't supposed to see. 4 years after Starcraft, they still have the same problem in Warcraft III. I really don't think Blizzard is ready for a MMORPG.

Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
>> 1. Oct 25, 15:46 Can Blizzard really support a MMORPG? Alciril
  2. Oct 25, 16:48  Re: Can Blizzard really support a MMORPG? Pete
  3. Oct 25, 16:51  Re: Can Blizzard really support a MMORPG? eunichron
  4. Oct 25, 22:05  Re: Can Blizzard really support a MMORPG? AcidDrone
  5. Oct 25, 23:05   Re: Can Blizzard really support a MMORPG? Alciril

footer

Blue's News logo