Out of the Blue

Well it's interesting to see the response on the Bluesnews Paypal Link Petition I mentioned yesterday. What's odd is how you can no longer see the names of the signatories on such things, I guess that's what their reference to combating SirCam they mention, but I thought you used to be able to read comments on these things(?). Anyway, I do want to thank those of you who feel so strongly about this, I'm touched by some of the comments made about this on our forums here yesterday. Come to think of it, I'm touched in general, but that's a different story.

Links of the Day: Count Dante & the Black Dragon Fighting Society. Thanks zerosine.
Hubzilla. Thanks Dan Leadbetter. The coolest 4-port Firewire Hub on the planet!
Stories of the Day: 9-11 BIRDS IN TROUBLE. Thanks David. Remember Les Nessman and the Thanksgiving turkeys?
Disney preps martial arts Snow White. Thanks Bronco. Crouching Sneezy, Hidden Dopey?
Sex Museum Says It Is Here to Educate. Thanks LwoodPDowd.
Wild Science: Signs of Water Found in Atmosphere of Far Planets. Thanks Larry.
Study: Brain misfires may cause 'out-of-body experiences'. Thanks Mike Martinez. They may also cause one to become a webmaster.
Weird Science: Area 51, truth seekers 0. Thanks Matthew Braglio.
Images of the Day: The fawn in a dog pack. Thanks r0rschach.
The fight for the ball. Thanks Jash.
APOD 2002 September 17 - A Force from Empty Space The Casimir Effect. Thanks Surly B. Actually noteworthy for the caption.
View : : :
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Popcorn
Sep 21, 2002, 09:32
Re: Popcorn Sep 21, 2002, 09:32
Sep 21, 2002, 09:32

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Get rid of the adware you have installed then

Popcorn
Sep 21, 2002, 08:47
Popcorn Sep 21, 2002, 08:47
Sep 21, 2002, 08:47

I just got a norwegian-language pop-up. This is especially disturbing since I'm supposedly swedish, at least that's what my passport tells me.

Buck Birdseed (aka Snapcase)
http://www.counterglow.net

Paypal Blue
Sep 20, 2002, 18:10
Paypal Blue Sep 20, 2002, 18:10
Sep 20, 2002, 18:10

C'mon guys, this is about a physical way to show appreciation AND support for a site we all love. If it helps pick up an expense somewhere, all the better! I for one would feel much better donating through Paypal than clicking on an annoying (yet necessary) ad. At least I know he's going to get it before DOOM 10 comes out

Re: paypal
Sep 20, 2002, 17:49
Re: paypal Sep 20, 2002, 17:49
Sep 20, 2002, 17:49

I agree with you guys. No doubt that a steady revenue can not be made from paypal alone and the bulk of any site's money is going to come from sponsorship. Still, any money that can be made in any way is a good thing in my book, especially a paypal link that receives 100% capital. It's realitively easy to set up so I don't see how it could hurt. You're probably right about how much money it would bring in as it would probably be only an initial burst at the beginning. However, I still don't see how blue loses any money or visitors from such an option. The whole purpose of this is not to change blue's way of business but for his visitor's to hand the guy some cash if they feel they want to.

dave snider
comicvine.com

Sep 20, 2002, 16:28
Re: paypal Sep 20, 2002, 16:28
Sep 20, 2002, 16:28

I'm with Coupland (#20) on this one. While of course the decision itself is up to Blue, there are always 'hidden costs' with anything you do, even if it appears to be 'free money' like a PayPal donation button.

In reality, sponsorships, ads, pay-for-performance affiliations, etc., do actually provide reasonable and sustainable income streams for sites with decent traffic, and from my math (derived from the claim of over 1/8 of a *billion* 'visitors') Blue appears be doing all right for himself.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't do our best to support Blue -- in fact I'm saying we *should*. But I'm also saying that it would be more effective to support him by exploring his sponsors by clicking on their ads and by spreading word of BluesNews.com to others that might be interested and by buying a T-shit rather than making him split his already limited attention even more.

Interestingly enough, today is my last day at Microsoft -- I'm off to start my own site (about 85% done already) with a very analagous revenue and usage model to Blue's (but non-competing content), and suffice it to say that PayPal donations aren't anywhere in that model....

-Scott

(edited for general clarity)
This comment was edited on Sep 20, 16:31.

paypal
Sep 20, 2002, 15:57
paypal Sep 20, 2002, 15:57
Sep 20, 2002, 15:57

I think this goes to show the inherent unreliability of contribution systems. I looked at the petition today and there were only 259 signatories. Assuming all people who signed submitted a whopping $50, it still would only come to around $12,000. That's a drop of pee compared to advertising or corporate sponsorship. Hell, even triple that wouldn't a salary make.

What people don't realize is that when they break their piggy-bank open to give a site $15 to keep it operating forever it's unlikely they could even make a dent in a busy site's monthly operating costs. So Blue goes to the trouble of setting things up in Paypal, makes a few shiny pennies, and then endures an endless stream of e-mails reading "Hey I paid $5 to see this site, better shape up, bub!"

If Blue wants to make money he should start endorsing mice or reviewing games, or offering preferrential placement on his site. But if people just start emptying their pockets on his desk all he'll end up with is a pile of bubble-gum wrappers and lint.

Re: TPFKAS2S
Sep 20, 2002, 14:49
Re: TPFKAS2S Sep 20, 2002, 14:49
Sep 20, 2002, 14:49

Well said.

-Heatwave
Apologies for wasting anyones space or time with this message. (Hey! That can go in my signature! Thanks TPFKAS2S (and Snide!))

-Heatwave
(Apologies for wasting anyones space or time with this message.)

Re: Blue!
Sep 20, 2002, 13:38
Bronco

Re: Blue! Sep 20, 2002, 13:38
Sep 20, 2002, 13:38
 Bronco

I can't see any names of signatories at all--there's a link to view signatures, but that just has hyperlinked numbers corresponding to a group of posts, but clicking the numbers just shows the same page...

Ironic that the person who should read this can't.

-TPFKAS2S
-TPFKAS2S

Puhleez!
Sep 20, 2002, 11:56
Puhleez! Sep 20, 2002, 11:56
Sep 20, 2002, 11:56

Blue,

This is a total self-serving request, but its worth a shot. Can you please drop the logo down about 1/4" inch or thereabouts so the banner ad can go all the way to the left, eliminating a horizontal scrollbar? This is the only site I get the horizontal scroll on.

Still wondering about the point of that blank space...
-TK (with apologies to Ray)

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

Sep 20, 2002, 11:50
Re: Blue! Sep 20, 2002, 11:50
Sep 20, 2002, 11:50

Strange, I tried it with both IE and NS without any problems. See if you get the same results by linking directly to the (latest) signatures:

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?helpblue&1
Edit: Hmm...the direct URL only seems to work for me in IE and only then about 50% of the time.

When I view that URL, I am taken to a page that has the fifty most current signatures, signature number, given name (which you would be able to click on for e-mail access if tha was not disabled and which is generally the internet "nick" of the person), and whatever, if any, comment that the person listed. It certainly does not give me anything to click on, with the exception of links to the petition home or the other four pages of signatures...

Umm...I bet putting up a PayPal donation button would fix your page/browser problems.

Having to at least try... ;P,
Ray

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just say no to anonymous posting registered trolls!
This comment was edited on Sep 20, 11:54.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Sep 20, 2002, 11:39
Re: Blue! Sep 20, 2002, 11:39
Sep 20, 2002, 11:39

What "names" are you talking about, Stephen?

I can't see any names of signatories at all--there's a link to view signatures, but that just has hyperlinked numbers corresponding to a group of posts, but clicking the numbers just shows the same page...

I've tried it in both MSIE and NS. Odd, to say the least.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Count Dante & the Black Dragon Fighting
Sep 20, 2002, 11:03
Count Dante & the Black Dragon Fighting Sep 20, 2002, 11:03
Sep 20, 2002, 11:03

uh, wtf?
---
Chris.

Sep 20, 2002, 11:02
Re: paypal Sep 20, 2002, 11:02
Sep 20, 2002, 11:02

Why is there a petition for it? Blue, just put a PayPal button somewhere for crying out loud

9-11 Birds
Sep 20, 2002, 10:55
9-11 Birds Sep 20, 2002, 10:55
Sep 20, 2002, 10:55

Had they consulted with anyone who actually dealt with birds in a non-commercial way (ie: not the people who are selling them the "trained" pigeons), those birds might have been saved and not used.

The fact of the matter is that training pigeons to return is not something that you can do on the spur of the moment. These birds would have had to have been trained for months and even then, would have suffered some losses on the way back. The fact that the birds are drowning in nearby water pools and being attacked by animals only reinforces the fact that they are lost and confused, and that proper training time was not spent.

This same thing happens at weddings all the time. Someone gets it into their head that releasing a flock of doves or white pigeons would be beautiful, and hires a "dove trainer" (note the quotations used for sarcasm) to deliver doves to the wedding. Unfortunently, these doves tend to fly about 30 yards or so from where they are released, then crash to the ground, for two reasons -- first, their wing muscles are not developed enough to sustain long flight because they're cooped up in cages or 8'x 12' flight cages all their lives and haven't been able to properly fly, and secondly, because their homing instinct doesn't work without vigorous training. It's cheaper for the "dove trainers" to simply purchase more doves at $10 a dove, than it is to recapture them all.

I know this because I've dealt with mistreated doves that this has happened to.

As a hobbyist dove owner and handler/rehabilitator, things like this annoy me. I wonder how the 9/11 families who have had victims, from a result of human stupidity, would react to knowing that those symbolic, beautiful white pigeons that were released, are drowning in fountains, being torn apart by animals, hit by cars, and starving to death, because of human stupidity as well.

Anyone who would be willing to "rent" animals as designer items without the animal's benefit in mind, should be questioned thoroughly.

paypal
Sep 20, 2002, 09:50
paypal Sep 20, 2002, 09:50
Sep 20, 2002, 09:50

I truly hope, that blues doesn't go away. I was an avid stopmed reader for quite sometime and was in their employ two 2 years. I remember them trying to do paypal, but it didn't pay off. I am still reeling from Stomped going down, but I am getting into this whole Blues News thing.... Good Luck Blue...

http://www.excelbydesign.net/tempus

sex museum website
Sep 20, 2002, 09:35
sex museum website Sep 20, 2002, 09:35
Sep 20, 2002, 09:35

That website, www.museumofsex.com, has one of the more different designs I've ever seen...

Devster
Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

Sep 20, 2002, 09:15
Re: Blue! Sep 20, 2002, 09:15
Sep 20, 2002, 09:15

Here is a link to the item:

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=37562

Wondering why so many places steal The Inq.'s stories :|,
Ray

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just say no to anonymous posting registered trolls!
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Sep 20, 2002, 09:10
Re: Blue! Sep 20, 2002, 09:10
Sep 20, 2002, 09:10

Check a few news items down, they have the announcement there.

This comment was edited on Sep 20, 09:10.

Sep 20, 2002, 08:42
Re: Blue! Sep 20, 2002, 08:42
Sep 20, 2002, 08:42

I figured I would've seen something about Blizzards annoucement here, but I actually had to get it from **shivers** Gamespy. Oh well.

Seeing as how it is a console game I was let down. Not saying it wont be coming to the PC, but because its a console right now I dont care now.

Whats everyone else opinion of all of it?

PS - Just saw a thing about it, didnt see it at first.
This comment was edited on Sep 20, 08:56.

Sustainable Income
Sep 20, 2002, 08:35
ssh
Sustainable Income Sep 20, 2002, 08:35
Sep 20, 2002, 08:35
ssh

If a paypal account were setup, I'd donate once every so often, depending on my finances. If Bluesnews offered things like "Games that I play at the moment and why I like them..." I'd happily pay a regular fee.

See, you can read opinions of games all over the web, but where are you going to find someone who:
A) can actually write coherent English?
B) you can trust to be level-headed and reasonable?

The answer to both questions is pretty simple. I amn't talking about full blown reviews of games... just the odd opinion piece.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older