Out of the Blue

This area was buffeted all day with one of the more dramatic wind storms I can ever recall. I saw cars being pushed on the road and heard a radio report that a school bus route was closed due to fallen trees. We also had a batch of loose bits of paper blown from a basket in a room where the windows were open leaving a good portion of the second floor looking like the aftermath of a ticker tape parade. At one point I considered trying to fly a kite for the first time since I was a wee Blue, but decided I would probably need to ballast my pockets to keep it from turning into a hang-gliding experience. I did not, however, see any flying houses or witches on bicycles, so I don't think Hudson and I are in Kansas anymore...

R.I.P. Johnny Unitas.

Play Time: This Q3A Demo in Shockwave. Thanks to so many of you. I've held off for fear of helping Fox this, but the flood of mail indicates this is not terribly secret. Extremely cool.
Link of the Day: Boogle.com. Thanks ^Jercilla^. Google with quotes (and corny photos).
Stories of the Day: N.Y. Lottery Draws 9-1-1 on 9-11. Thanks AngryDan1.
Moon opens for business. Thanks theAntiELVIS.
Conch shell yields emerald treasure. Thanks Mike.
Weird Science: Doctors crack case of man who 'dies' each time his alarm goes off. Thanks Chris Jones.
Wild Science: New 'moon' found around Earth. Thanks ijones. Possibly Earth's third moon??????
Study: Humans Not Fit for Cloning. Thanks Rob Szekely.
View : : :
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Lottery numbers
Sep 13, 2002, 16:17
Re: Lottery numbers Sep 13, 2002, 16:17
Sep 13, 2002, 16:17

Then Jedi, I would suggest the next time stateing your point clearly.

A seed of thought, or a thought of conjecture. Theory is still nothing but an educated guess, and it can be easily thrown into doubt when a better theory comes along disproving the old one. Similar to dark matter, or quarks.
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Sep 13, 2002, 04:50
Re: Lottery numbers Sep 13, 2002, 04:50
Sep 13, 2002, 04:50

@heatwave:

that wont work, as we're not the indiginous populous of Earth(2), the 'b' ark people killed them all off, and then started using the tree leaf as currency. Remember ?

Anyway just keep a look out for chesterfield sofas, and you'll be OK.

- Jar.

--
It's a Dawg Eat Dawg World.
http://www.Jaruzel.com/mud

Sep 13, 2002, 04:03
Re: Lottery numbers Sep 13, 2002, 04:03
Sep 13, 2002, 04:03

Numbers thought to be influenced by a global consciousness...hmmm... Of course!! Quick, indiv! Go find a large bag of prehistoric Scrabble pieces while I come up with a cleverly worded question about the meaning of life!

-Heatwave

-Heatwave
(Apologies for wasting anyones space or time with this message.)

Sep 13, 2002, 00:46
Re: Lottery numbers Sep 13, 2002, 00:46
Sep 13, 2002, 00:46

That was not the point. Current scientific theory indicates that something is impossible or extremely unlikely. Just because it's a "theory" and we can't be sure something is impossible doesn't mean we should start believing it's true.

~Jedi

Sep 13, 2002, 00:14
Re: Lottery numbers Sep 13, 2002, 00:14
Sep 13, 2002, 00:14

Your logic is flawed Jedi. People thought that the titanic wouldn't sink, but it did. The scientists thought that the atom bomb(with a 50% division) would ignite the atmosphere. People thought that WWII would never happen, they never thought that Hitler would invade europe after they signed non-agression and peace treaties, but churchill knew.

That micro-organisms were not the cause of illness or even existed. All people with diabetes were handed a death sentance because they knew it would never be handled or cured.

If you born two hundred years ago, and someone brought you into today, would you think your dreaming and computers, radios and TV's were an impossiblity?
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

this owns the sun :)
Sep 12, 2002, 22:23
this owns the sun :) Sep 12, 2002, 22:23
Sep 12, 2002, 22:23

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/oped-02e.html

hehehehe and yes some fool by the last name of hope thinks he owns the moon, and has been selling realestate on the moon

s(this is secret text)

http://www.excelbydesign.net/tempus

Re: USA owns the Moon?
Sep 12, 2002, 21:34
Re: USA owns the Moon? Sep 12, 2002, 21:34
Sep 12, 2002, 21:34

WTF?! Why did they need permission, especially since the launch is taking place in Kazakhstan?

yes, i have a very huge problem with this. but then again i have a very huge problem taxation and a billion other current governmental practices so this isn't a surprise. our freedoms are slowly being eroded.

dave snider
comicvine.com

Sep 12, 2002, 19:51
Re: Lottery numbers Sep 12, 2002, 19:51
Sep 12, 2002, 19:51

Simply because something seems impossible, doesn't mean that it can't happen.

But it also doesn't mean that there's any reason to suspect that it can happen, so it really goes nowhere.

~Jedi

Sep 12, 2002, 19:18
Re: Lottery numbers Sep 12, 2002, 19:18
Sep 12, 2002, 19:18

indiv,

I'm not out for proving my stance, or any kind of hypothesis, or thesis. I'm out to state that anything is possible, regardless of current science or understand that our minds can grasp. Simply because something seems impossible, doesn't mean that it can't happen.
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Sep 12, 2002, 18:58
indiv

Re: Lottery numbers Sep 12, 2002, 18:58
Sep 12, 2002, 18:58
 indiv

Perhaps, Mashiki Amiketo, your stance would be stronger if you at least provided web links to the hypothesis in question.

Princeton University's Global Consciousness Project:
http://noosphere.princeton.edu/

Formal analysis of the data collected on September 11:
http://noosphere.princeton.edu/911formal.html

Exploratory analysis of the September 11 data:
http://noosphere.princeton.edu/terror.html

Extended analysis of the September 11 data:
http://noosphere.princeton.edu/terror1.html

And for the record, they're not using this data to attempt to prove anything or support any thesis, as it says on the formal analysis page.

Sep 12, 2002, 18:16
Re: Lottery numbers Sep 12, 2002, 18:16
Sep 12, 2002, 18:16

BubbleMage,

Yes it always boils down to proof right? Theory is even and only theory, and random isn't always random. Oh odd things have happend before, but I have nothing to prove nor do you have anything to disprove what I've said.

But a hypothesis isn't a burden of proof, rather a seed of thought and conjecture. Should you think that a hypothesis is anything but thought and conjecture I would suggest grabbing the nearest dictionary. A theory is only that, an educated guess on what has been seen and what has happend either in the end or begining result.

Being open minded is a good thing, and being more so is very good, but you always must take things at face value. I did not say that I belived it, but I did make a hypothesis about what I thought.

What's that old saying, believe only half of what you see, and nothing of what you hear? Something close to that.
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Sep 12, 2002, 18:08
Re: USA owns the Moon? Sep 12, 2002, 18:08
Sep 12, 2002, 18:08

the governments of the world that have space flight technology have a responsibility to preserve the moon from rampant raping & pillaging by anyone who can afford to get there.

Yeah. We should be satisfied with doing that on earth.

Sorry, in a cynical mood right now...

Fully automatic backups with Ocster Backup Pro 3
http://www.ocster.com

Sep 12, 2002, 18:06
indiv

Re: USA owns the Moon? Sep 12, 2002, 18:06
Sep 12, 2002, 18:06
 indiv

WTF?! Why did they need permission, especially since the launch is taking place in Kazakhstan?

I found a small summary on a number of treaties that were passed in the 1970's. Perhaps not all of them are still in effect, but I imagine that there are similar provisions in any new treaty that's taken its place:

http://www.space.edu/projects/book/chapter30.html

One relevant quote is:
"The Outer Space Treaty states that launching states are responsible for any spacecraft launched from their soil. The nations state is responsible for any liability which may happen due to an errant space launch or a faulty satellite."

and lower on the page is a story about a Soviet satellite that crashed in Canada--the Soviets apparently footed the bill because they upheld their responsibility of the treaty.

So if the company is a U.S. company, the U.S. will have to live with whatever the comany does. If they crash their craft into the moon and radioactively contaminate half the soil, the U.S. will be responsible, not Kazakhstan.

There are probably lots more reasons besides liability, but I was just skimming through documents and didn't want to spend too much time on the matter.

Perhaps even moreso, it is probably more convenient (and certainly cheaper!) to have the government go through the international channels in filing for launches, etc. Like you said, space belongs to no single nation, but it's up to everyone involved in space launches to ensure that it's not chaos up there. There's lots of expensive stuff in orbit and on the moon.

Sep 12, 2002, 18:01
Re: USA owns the Moon? Sep 12, 2002, 18:01
Sep 12, 2002, 18:01

WTF?! Why did they need permission, especially since the launch is taking place in Kazakhstan? We (the USA) don't own the moon or even Earth orbit. I can understand if the launch was here that they would require permission to launch from the FAA because of the danger of intersecting air routes, and even a worry about the danger of an explosion at launch. BUT if the launch is not within the borders of the US, then the company doesn't need a license to go to the moon.

Anybody else see a serious problem with this?

They are still an American company. It's not that the US 'owns' the moon, but rather the governments of the world that have space flight technology have a responsibility to preserve the moon from rampant raping & pillaging by anyone who can afford to get there.

It's more like a person needing to get permission to take an off-road vehicle deep into a virgin forest than your argument.
Lord BloodWolf

Sep 12, 2002, 16:35
Re: Lottery numbers Sep 12, 2002, 16:35
Sep 12, 2002, 16:35

Just because you don't think it can't happen, does not mean that it isn't true.

The burden of proof for that comment lies entirely upon you, Mashiki. Remember, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. I can give you factual, mathematical evidence that random number theory is based upon solid scientific reasoning and observed, duplicatable patterns of occurance. If you seriously claim that some mystical, meta-physical energy field or its equivalent is affecting events in a manner not consistent with physical laws, then YOU must prove YOUR hypothesis. (Or, more to the point, you must attempt to disprove it, which is the only acceptable application of the scientific method-- something the schools are apparently failing to teach in recent years.)

The mathematical evidence--in the form of odds-to-one--and the application of Occam's Razor to the NY lottery numbers event points very clearly to a simple falsification for dramatic impact as the most likely explanation. Any other claim, as you just made, is extraordinary and nothing more than wild conjecture without the weight of evidence behind it.

I believe it was Charles Sheffield who years ago advanced a tongue-in-cheek hypothesis for the existence of the human "soul". It was all very elegant and well-written, and very convincing to layman and physicist alike. However, it was also total bunk. He conjured the basis for the "hypothesis" out of thin air, then fabricated the proposal out of whole cloth. Additionally, it was quite impossible to test his hypothesis with any real degree of control, since any subject would, by definition, be... well, dead. It was a fascinating example of how simple it can be to fool even the most educated and intelligent people-- if they WANT to believe. And who doesn't WANT to believe in life-after-death? But believing doesn't make it so.

In short, be open-minded; it's a good thing. Just don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out of your skull.

Sep 12, 2002, 16:26
Jim
Re: Lottery numbers Sep 12, 2002, 16:26
Sep 12, 2002, 16:26
Jim

A similar thing happened in the Massachusetts daily numbers this past New Years day- 2-0-0-2

Seems a bit too coincidental.

Jim

USA owns the Moon?
Sep 12, 2002, 16:25
USA owns the Moon? Sep 12, 2002, 16:25
Sep 12, 2002, 16:25

From the "Moon open for business" link:
The first private Moon landing has finally been given the green light by the US Government.
TransOrbital of California has become the first private company in the history of spaceflight to gain approval from the US authorities to explore, photograph and land on the Moon.

The US State Department and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration have granted the company permission to send its TrailBlazer spacecraft into lunar orbit.

The launch is set for June 2003 from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan.

WTF?! Why did they need permission, especially since the launch is taking place in Kazakhstan? We (the USA) don't own the moon or even Earth orbit. I can understand if the launch was here that they would require permission to launch from the FAA because of the danger of intersecting air routes, and even a worry about the danger of an explosion at launch. BUT if the launch is not within the borders of the US, then the company doesn't need a license to go to the moon.

Anybody else see a serious problem with this? This is like asking Blue if I have permission to visit other websites. (I do, don't I Blue?)

Sep 12, 2002, 15:36
Re: Lottery numbers Sep 12, 2002, 15:36
Sep 12, 2002, 15:36

#13 If the lottery was run normal like, I don't watch much TV from NY, since I only get fox(buffalo). But, here is the question, is random truely random? Or do events and conditions of the world "effect" the way the balls come up, or the way dice are tossed?

I'm trying to remember which university it was, harverd or princeton, plus a couple up here(canada) have random number generators that run all the time. But just before(6 or 8hrs) the attacks last year, they stopped produceing random numbers and started to produce patterns. Not sequential or anything, but still a pattern.

So, this also begs the question does the human consciousness in turn directly affect "randomness" in the world. Changeing things for better or worse? Or in the fact that sometimes we "listen" to things we can't see or hear, similar to people who don't get on doomed planes, or ships.

Just because you don't think it can't happen, does not mean that it isn't true.
--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

Q3
Sep 12, 2002, 14:46
Q3 Sep 12, 2002, 14:46
Sep 12, 2002, 14:46

Shockwave Q3 is dead

man who 'dies' each time his alarm goes
Sep 12, 2002, 14:43
Xil

man who 'dies' each time his alarm goes Sep 12, 2002, 14:43
Sep 12, 2002, 14:43
 Xil

geeeez, that must have been a pretty scared way to live for 38 years !!

-xil

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older