Ghost Recon: Game of the Year Edition

Perhaps enough to inspire curiosity about exactly how many games of the year can emerge from the same year, Ubi Soft Releases Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Game of the Year Edition is a press release offering news of a GotY version of Ghost Recon, as well as word that it is in U.S. and Canadian stores as of today. The release offers the pedigree that justifies conferring this title on the game and word on what the package will include, which is the Desert Siege mission pack in addition to the full version of Ghost Recon.
View : : :
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Re to #9
Jun 29, 2002, 13:14
Re: Re to #9 Jun 29, 2002, 13:14
Jun 29, 2002, 13:14

I'd definitely have to agree about Operation Flashpoint. I've been playing it since the Euro release and I still can't put it down. The game offers such a free-flowing environment that the possibilities are limitless.

Opflash: Resistance looks to really add a lot more. I just hope that with Opflash 2 they can make terrain with true 3D like tunnels, caves, etc. I'd also like to see buildings handled a lot better because that's probably the weakest part of the game.

Jun 29, 2002, 11:17
anon@68.98
Re: Re to #9 Jun 29, 2002, 11:17
Jun 29, 2002, 11:17
anon@68.98

Winning once or twice or not at all doesnt mean its "Game Of The Year" for everyone

for that matter, winning 50 doesn't mean it's "Game Of The Year"for everyone. Nobody said that the game of the year edition was for the game that everyone thinks is game of the year. The game of the year edition is for a game that was voted by at least one publication to be game of the year either overall or in a particular category (like multiplayer). It's kind of dumb to say that a game has to win 50 games of the year from different publications because this hardly ever happens. The next time it will happen will be Doom3 probably (i doubt ut2k3 will do it). Does that mean that those particular years when the publications dont unanimously decide on a game of the year then there isn't one?

Jun 29, 2002, 09:32
anon@130.67
Re: Re to #9 Jun 29, 2002, 09:32
Jun 29, 2002, 09:32
anon@130.67

The game that started the GOTY mania was probably Half-life GOTY, at least its the ONLY game released to date that can justify a GOTY edition as it won "more than 50" GOTY awards from all around the globe.
Winning once or twice or not at all doesnt mean its "Game Of The Year" for everyone

Jun 29, 2002, 04:28
Re: Re to #9 Jun 29, 2002, 04:28
Jun 29, 2002, 04:28

I liked Flashpoint better.. Ghost Recon was good, sure, but it lacked the size Flashpoint had. Ghost Recon's mission areas were pretty small, which limited the freedom a player had to find the most suitable route because there just weren't many routes to pick from. Excluding water, Flashpoint lets you take it pretty much how you want.. hit them head on, go wide around behind them, etc. It didn't seem right when I got to the map edge in Ghost Recon. There aren't any invisible walls around here.. maybe it's different in Georgia or Moscow.. now granted, some of Flashpoint's physics and stuff were off (aircraft.. shudder).. bullet drop comes to mind especially, it seemed that it was there but it didn't work the way a real bullet drops at long range. Ghost Recon didn't seem to have bullet drop at all, but the ranges are all so short I doubt it'd have much effect anyway.. Overall, the freedom offered in Flashpoint as to how you went about your mission won it for me. I'd go so far as to say it was one of the most realistic infantry simulations, with nifty little nuances like watching your gun shake with your breathing if you sprint half a kilometer. I'd keep running and running all over Ghost Recon and it never seemed like stamina was an issue at all. The soldiers in Ghost Recon as a whole didn't do it for me either.. supposedly they were Green Berets, but they looked like your average infantryman to me, and acted worse in terms of AI. Real Green Berets don't train hard for nothing, after all.. post is getting long enough, there's my 2 cents, or maybe 4-5 by now.

--Infantryman

======================================
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

Jun 28, 2002, 23:16
Re: Re to #9 Jun 28, 2002, 23:16
Jun 28, 2002, 23:16

To the guy who thinks "lay off the crack" is an original witty put-down. I have a GF 4 and a P4 2.2, faster than yours I think.

OF is a wargame, it involves strategy and tactics, it's simulation. Compared to Operation Flashpoint, TC's GR is a Quake clone that OD'd on the realism pills.

And don't call me "dude" you ignorant teenage virgin.

Re to #9
Jun 28, 2002, 20:10
anon@208.178
Re to #9 Jun 28, 2002, 20:10
Jun 28, 2002, 20:10
anon@208.178

Dude, lay off the crack. Better yet upgrade your system so you can actually play Ghost Recon and then you will see how bad OpF really is. I know I played the game and yeah it was good but no were even close to the quality GR is. And if your basing all this on the fact that Computer Gaming World gave it game of the year it is time to re-evaluate your (and their) perceptions of reality.

Op Flashpoint had some of the worst sound effects of the year. The enemy footsteps sounded the same if the guy was right next to you or a mile away. GR won an award for sound quality. Not to mention the game play is far more realistic than OpF.

Again I beg you stop smoking crack.. cause like Bart Simpson has said "crack kills". Operation Flashpoint.. "Game of the Year" Now that is a laughable.

This Just In
Jun 28, 2002, 18:14
This Just In Jun 28, 2002, 18:14
Jun 28, 2002, 18:14

TEA SPORTS RELEASES SKYDIVER!: GAME OF THE YEAR EDITION

PC Skydiving Game of the Year: Skydiver! and Skydiver!: More Thrills for Just Falling To The Ground Expansion Pack for the Price of One

SAN FRANCISCO, CA - June 17, 2002 - TEA Sports , one of the world's largest video game publishers, announces Skydiver!: Game of the Year Edition, including the award- winning hit titles Skydiver! and the Skydiver!: More Thrills for Just Falling To The Ground Expansion Pack.

As game fans know, Skydiver! won Game of the Year from Contemporary Falling Lifestyle and Woman’s Home Journal and was the only Skydiving game to win a DOUBLE PC Game of the Year Winner for 1999(we realize we’re 3 years late on this but we’ve spent the last three tears tracking down our 300,000 bugs from the original game). Skydiver!: More Thrills for Just Falling To The Ground Expansion Pack won Editor's Choice from both PC Contemporary Falling Lifestyle and Woman’s Home Journal.

In the 1st Annual Contemporary Falling Lifestyle Gaming Awards, leading computer game magazine Contemporary Falling Lifestyle named Skydiver!, A PC Game that came out this Year., it's highest honor, explaining "In a year of fine games, Skydiver! Stands out.” According to Executive Editor Skip Barberson, "...not only is it a Game that came out 3 Year’s ago, it's a game we’ll never forget no matter how hard we try."

"Skydiver! raised the bar for Skydiving games, and Skydiver!: More Thrills for Just Falling To The Ground Expansion Pack continued that tradition," said Lamass Iwantmoremony, president of TTEA Sports Entertainment. "By purchasing the Game of the Year Edition, game fans not only get an incredible value, they will become part of our exclusive bug tracking team by helping us eliminate the 500,356 bugs that remain."

Skydiver!: Game of the Year Edition has a suggested retail price of $0.99 and is available exclusively in Antarctica.

About the Game of the Year Pack Skydiver!: Game of the Year Edition includes PC Game of the Year: Skydiver! and the explosive mission pack Skydiver!: Thrills for Just Falling To The Ground Expansion Pack.

With the two games combined, gamers get: - 1 single-player mission - 1 dedicated multiplayer map - 1 different multiplayer modes including team-based jumping out of a plane and falling to the ground mode.

About TEA Sports Entertainment TEA Sports Entertaiment is an international producer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment products. A leading company in the multimedia industry, TEA Sports's strong and diversified line-up has grown considerably, as has TEA Sports itself. As well as steadfastly continuing to partner with several high-profile companies, TEA Sports has also confirmed its presence on the global market by developing its own exceptional properties. Founded in 1986 in Ethiopia, TEA Sports is now present on two continents, both through offices in 2 different countries including Ethiopia and Antarctica. The group is dedicated to delivering a video game title to consumers in Ethiopia and Antarctica.

©1999 TEA Sports, Inc. All rights reserved. TEA Sports Entertainment and the TEA Sports logo are registered trademarks and Skydiver!: Game of the Year Edition is a trademark of TEA Sports, Inc. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. © 1999 Gonza Games, Inc. Gonza Games and We Suck are trademarks of Gonza Games, Inc. Gonza Games, Inc. is a TEA Sports Entertainment company. All Rights Reserved. Skydiver! is a trademark of Gonzo Games, Inc. under license to TEA Sports Entertainment. Skydiver! is a trademark of TEA Sports Entertainment.

Mark.

"paradigm shift" (p.10)
"awareness is prerequisite to all acceptable changes of theory" (p. 67)
Reference: Kuhn, Thomas, S., "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions", Second Edition, Enlarged, The University of Chicago Press, Chicago, 1970(1962)

haha
Jun 28, 2002, 17:49
anon@12.230
haha Jun 28, 2002, 17:49
Jun 28, 2002, 17:49
anon@12.230

#7 wtf?? who the hell uses AOL anymore??? this aint 1997...duh

no, honestly, who uses aol ?! arent they only 56krap

We have now entered BIZARRO world
Jun 28, 2002, 17:23
We have now entered BIZARRO world Jun 28, 2002, 17:23
Jun 28, 2002, 17:23

where the merely average is praised as insanely great. PC Gamer? You should be ashamed of yourselves. IGN? Doesn't matter.

The main award, the one with the most clout, is the CGW game of the year. The winner? Operation Flashpoint, and deservedly so. It's the game Tom Clancy's wishes it could be.

Wolfenstein has a better claim on this, but Op Flash is the real GotY.

in stores today?
Jun 28, 2002, 16:55
in stores today? Jun 28, 2002, 16:55
Jun 28, 2002, 16:55

This has been in stores at least a month. I bought it at Fry's two weeks ago.

So yeah...it's in stores today, but it was also in stores yesterday and a week before that

Re: Who defines GOTY
Jun 28, 2002, 16:03
anon@192.128
Re: Who defines GOTY Jun 28, 2002, 16:03
Jun 28, 2002, 16:03
anon@192.128

Yep: after all, PC Gamer actually liked Anarchy Online, so their opinion is rather meaningless.

Re: Finally! An actual,real GOTY. Amazing.
Jun 28, 2002, 16:01
anon@192.128
Re: Finally! An actual,real GOTY. Amazing. Jun 28, 2002, 16:01
Jun 28, 2002, 16:01
anon@192.128

Dude, lay off the CAPS lock key. If you are and AOL user, though, ignore this message.

Who defines GOTY
Jun 28, 2002, 16:00
anon@66.185
Who defines GOTY Jun 28, 2002, 16:00
Jun 28, 2002, 16:00
anon@66.185

I think this whole GOTY thing is a fiasco too. Wolfenstein wasn't my GOTY but I'm sure it was somebodys' GOTY. Just because PCGamer says Ghost Recon is GOTY doesn't end the debate. I'm sure there is some website or magazine that found not only Wolfy but a host of other games to be GOTY. It's really a pointless argument until there is one organization that can be trusted to bestow such a title with the scruples of say.. the IOC... no scratch that... say... maybe an accounting firm like Arthur Anderson... no scratch that too... say... The Golden Globe... ah, nevermind.

Finally! An actual,real GOTY. Amazing.
Jun 28, 2002, 15:45
anon@172.146
Finally! An actual,real GOTY. Amazing. Jun 28, 2002, 15:45
Jun 28, 2002, 15:45
anon@172.146

"Perhaps enough to inspire curiosity about exactly how many games of the year can emerge from the same year,"

I DON'T KNOW, ASK THE PEOPLE RESPONSIBLE FOR RETURN TO CASTLE WOFLENSTEIN, SINCE THAT GAME DIDN'T EVEN WIN GAME OF THE YEAR. HOW MANY GAMES CAN WIN GAME OF THE YEAR? WELL, GHOST RECON WON PC GAMER'S GAME OF THE YEAR. AND AS I RECALL OPERATION FLASHPOINT WON GOMPUTER GAMING WORLD'S GAME OF THE YEAR. SO I GUESS THE ANSWER IS "2". UNLESS YOU COUNT "BOBSFISHANDTACKLESHOP.COM", WHICH AWARDED WOLFENSTEIN GAME OF THE YEAR. WHAT DID WOLFENRIPOFFSTEIN WIN? MULTIPLAYER HONORABLE MENTION???? IS THAT AN ACTUAL GAME OF THE YEAR?? I DON'T THINK SO.

MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE SAID "Perhaps enough to inspire curiosity about exactly how many games of the year can emerge from the same year," DURING ONE OF YOUR 20 WOLFENSTEIN POSTS, SINCE IT DIDN'T EVEN WIN GAME OF THE YEAR!!! But now you mention it when you're reporting about a game that ACTUALLY WON the award? ROTFLMAO buddy.

"The release offers the pedigree that justifies conferring this title on the game"

Funny how Wolfenstein doesn't offer this. Maybe that's because IT DIDN'T WIN GAME OF THE YEAR?

SO WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE "GOOD OLD DAYS" WHEN GAME OF THE YEAR MEANT YOU WON GAME OF THE YEAR FLAT_OUT? NOT SOME "TECHNICAL ACHIEVEMENT" OR "MULTIPLAYER" OR OTHER bs LIKE THAT.

SO IF A GAME WINS THE "AUDIO ACHIEVEMENT" AWARD, BUT DOESN'T WIN **OVERALL** GAME OF THE YEAR, IS IT A GAME OF THE YEAR?

I SAY "NO".

THE PUBLISHERS OF WOLFENSTEIN SAY "YES".

If you support the IDIOTS behind Wolfenstein are you foolish? I say "YES". But hey, that's just my opinion.

Re: At least the release noted why...
Jun 28, 2002, 15:19
Re: At least the release noted why... Jun 28, 2002, 15:19
Jun 28, 2002, 15:19

Yeah, Ghost Recon is one of the few games that can legitimately claim "Game of the Year".

BTW, these press releases are awfully slow. I've seen GR GOTY out for probably a few weeks now.

At least the release noted why...
Jun 28, 2002, 14:47
At least the release noted why... Jun 28, 2002, 14:47
Jun 28, 2002, 14:47

As game fans know, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon won Game of the Year from PC Gamer and IGN PC and was the only DOUBLE PC Game of the Year Winner for 2001. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Desert Siege mission pack won Editor's Choice from both PC Gamer and Computer Gaming World.

Devster
Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

Pong GotY Edition Released
Jun 28, 2002, 13:43
Pong GotY Edition Released Jun 28, 2002, 13:43
Jun 28, 2002, 13:43

Also includes new "Vertical Pong" mission pack, for mind-bending up and down Pong excitement and link to Missile Command download exclusively on FilePlanet!!!!

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older