Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Steam Rises

There are articles on both GameSpy.com and Shacknews about Steam, an upcoming broadband delivery system from Valve Software that hasn't really been formally discussed, although it was recently rolled out in a semi-public beta test (story). Each article elaborates on the Steam broadband content delivery system, describing a tool that purchasers of Valve's games will make transparent use of to get game patches and the like that may also be licensed by outside companies for other forms of content delivery. Each article also offers quotes from Valve's Gabe Newell, while GameSpy's piece also features quotes from Doug Lombardi with the Shack's offering screenshots of the Steam interface along with a mention of plans for an accompanying instant-messaging client called "Tracker."

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Hmmm Mar 22, 2002, 11:16 DrEvil

It's not running everything from the server.. it sounds to me like a way to skip the stores and deliver games directly to the players, and the cheating prevention aspect of it sounds like it just might work. Suppose the main steam server kept all the players up to date with a few client files(the ones that cheats hack), and these files were generated differently maybe once a day or every couple days and in order to play online you had to get the "new" couple client files. Basically with each new version of the files it puts the hackers back at square 1 of making their cheats(in theory). I truely hope the cheating prevention part of it works at least. I don't expect it to be perfect but compared to what other developers are doing against cheating its a welcome addition. I have nothing against punkbuster but it works the opposite, Basically they wait for the cheats to become available so they can have PB detect them. That always lets the hackers stay one step ahead. Valves system will hopefully do the opposite and change the client files often enough that hacking the game wouldnt be worth it. Then they move on to another game(hopefully) and that other developer liscenses steam and valve becomes a billion dollar company when they STILL only have 1 game out. lol

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. I am pete Mar 22, 2002, 06:43 pete

I'd just like to point out that somehow both pete (me) and Pete (some likely closet homosexual) have the same username.
Compare and contrast:
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=userinfo&user=8214&boardid=1

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=userinfo&user=1344&boardid=1

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 06:46.

17. Hmmm Mar 22, 2002, 01:41 anon@24.247

The way it's described Steam only downloads the content you need "on demand" -- that's the only way it could have "downloaded" Half-Life faster than installing the game from a CD.

I can only hope that Steam comes with enough options to allow you to download the entire game/patch (yes, they are still patches -- downloading them differently doesn't magically make them fundamentally different) before playing I pay enough for my cable modem that I think I'm perfectly justified in being picky about what I download and when I download it.

Speaking of control, I don't cotton to this whole "running everything from a server" model that Microsoft (and now Valve) are pushing for. The whole concept is a giant step backwards to the time when everything was stored on a server and all the user ever touched was a dumb terminal or a teletype. It's not innovative no matter how cleverly you combine modern technology to accomplish it. This sort of thing benefits noone but the companies pushing it as it creates a mechanism by which they can decide who can access what and when. Oh sure, the companies will stress how much "easier" everything is with this model but simply put: The ease of use is not worth the loss of control.

16. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2002, 20:06 DrEvil

btw anyone read this schit http://planetunreal.com/mapped/elfinterview.htm

gaming is becoming more frustrating than its worth. and this dumb shit tries to justify it.
I truely hope something like steam will enable the developers to stay ahead of the dipshit cheat programmers.

15. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2002, 19:33 DrEvil

faggot, lamer, n00b, whatever the term you want to use.. the point is that cheaters are all pieces of shit. nit-picking peoples choice of words doesnt mean a thing.

14. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2002, 18:54 Pete

non the less, the term is derived from a homophobic perspective. I guess its just because in most circles of society frown upon such things. Mostly due to religion.

ok rant over

Doin' it Big

13. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2002, 18:51 anon@216.23

You almost convinced me that since everyone else does it, it logically means that it can't possibly affect anyone.

Almost.

Funny, though, that made me think of something. There was a word like that that started quite some time ago, and it's still used today. It's used in pop songs, and everything, like the "faggot" example. Plus, it's highly inflaming towards the people it was originally used to describe, before it's meaning started getting permutated, again -- just like the "faggot" example. I wish I could remember what it was.

It begins with a "n", I think. Well, anyway, thank goodness that word doesn't offend anyone either!

12. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2002, 18:27 Hump

...and stuck with people who have their head in the sand and fail to realize that the term "faggot" is used as a generic putdown (albeit a juvenile one) of all persuasions alike and has been for several year now.

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 18:29.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

11. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2002, 17:54 anon@216.23

I would like to see gaming get back to how it used to be, and all the cheating faggots can move on.

Too bad we're still stuck with the homophobes, eh?

10. Re: No subject Mar 21, 2002, 17:48 DrEvil

I honestly hope that it puts a big kink in cheating n00bs and since the bulk of it sounds server side it could in theory be pretty effective. cheats arent created very quickly and if the files that need to be hacked change daily it "sounds" like it could work well. Lets all hope for our sake that it does work. I would like to see gaming get back to how it used to be, and all the cheating faggots can move on. If this technology works well, you can bet that more developers will probably start doing the same.

9. No subject Mar 21, 2002, 17:16 Hump

I wonder how effective this will be against the cheating?

"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

8. steam Mar 21, 2002, 17:08 Pete

...ing pile of poop more like it. Not that i have anything to hide, but it seems fishy to me.

Doin' it Big

7. Re: quoted from the gamespy article. Mar 21, 2002, 16:41 anon@217.226

"Maybe if/when you buy the game you create an account with steam, so when you format you run steam and log in and re-download the game?"

That's about it. You only need your Steam username and password to both download and authenticate your game.

6. quoted from the gamespy article. Mar 21, 2002, 16:23 DrEvil

"Here is a familiar scenario: You reinstall Windows on your PC. You then start to reinstall your favorite games, only to discover you can't find your Half-Life CD-Key! Doh! What are you going to do? With Steam, all of your authentication information is stored server side. After launching Steam, you're on your way. "

Does this make sense to anyone? If I format and re-install windows, what exactly is the server using to match up my authentication info with? Perhaps the reality is you can be up and running again in no time by forking out the money for a new cd key. Maybe if/when you buy the game you create an account with steam, so when you format you run steam and log in and re-download the game? That would make more sense.

5. Re: Valve should stick with what they Mar 21, 2002, 16:16 Hump

I think they are doing this with an eye towards their future products like TF2, CS2 and HL2. No doubt they are sick of forking cash over to Sierra themselves. opening the system to other products is just smart business. I think its pretty cool myself.

people are going to bitch about Valve of course because God knows they aren't supposed to make money, right?

- Jim Goad

4. Valve should stick with what they Mar 21, 2002, 15:54 anon@24.67

are good at. They have released exactly one game for sale. Half-Life. And although they have been fairly smart about providing free content to keep interest in that one product, it is quickly getting time for them to release a new product. I think the biggest mistake they can make is shifting over to being a service provider.

Whether they finally release TF2 (which I highly doubt is even still being produced at this point) or get Half-Life 2 out to us, it is time for some new content. People will eventually get bored of Half-Life/TFC/CS/DoD.

3. No subject Mar 21, 2002, 15:50 anon@24.42

Does Valve even make games anymore?  

2. Linux Mar 21, 2002, 15:49 anon@216.173

I really want to know, is if there will be a linux version out? Because if this system promotes constent updates, having a linux server running CS could become difficult if you have to manually keep up with the updates so people can play on your server.  

1. Bah! Evil Mar 21, 2002, 15:46 anon@209.206

<i>"Steam is a broadband business platform," Newell said. "With it, we can market and have direct communication with customers, sales and distribution, and have customer service and support."</i>

Patches are fine, but I prefer mine without "marketing" or "sales". In fact, I'd prefer it without "direct communication" with Valve.

What is it with companies these days? Did they read too many women's magazines or something? Why does every one of them want to have a personal relationship with me? Is it so hard to just sell me some software then leave me alone?

I don't want a relationship, I don't want communication. I just wanna shoot zombies.

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo