Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

Counter-Strike 1.4 & Steam Beta

In an unprecedented move, Valve Software has apparently opened the beta test of Counter-Strike 1.4 and their new Steam content delivery system to the public. CS-Nation has instructions and downloads of the Steam client setup and the key generator that will allow you play C-S 1.4 and the latest versions of Half-Life, TeamFortress Classic and Day of Defeat after registration (and also try the new Tracker instant messaging system), while Planet Half-Life and Shacknews have additional mirrors. It is important to note that the Steam system is designed for broadband users only, and that this is a beta test rather than an official release.

View
74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

14. Re: TF2?? Mar 7, 2002, 08:07 Devster

there are instructions on the stream web site how to manually uninstall Stream including reg key info.

In this enlightened age of commercial install products like Wyse or InstallShield, and even all the homegrown ones that can understand what you need to do for uninstalling stuff, I should never have to "manually uninstall" anything anymore. It's not like one can just "Deltree Sierra" anymore.

And what's with this "Tracker instant messaging system"? Anyone try that? I know the world needed another IM utility.

insert mumbled thanks for HL and prayers for HL2 here

Devster

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: No subject Mar 7, 2002, 08:03 node

"I guess people complain so much because they want Valve to release another genre-defining kick- ass game like the original HL?"

Not to mention forcing TFC and DMC on us in recent patches (even if we don't damn well want them), hence making those patches HUGE, not bothering to upgrade the graphics engine to cope with more polys and level texture detail (come on Valve, it wouldn't be hard, we've all upgraded our P100s now) and relying on a mod they didn't make (CS) to continue earning money off HL. Making patches isn't that hard and all the other HL content has been from Gearbox or mod makers, just what the hell can they all be doing there at Valve?

12. Re: No subject Mar 7, 2002, 08:00 anon@199.74

steam blows in my opinion!! who the hell wants to wait such a long time to download whatever junk that is before joining a server?!?!? im on a OC-12 line, and it took a looong time to connect to a server! if i have to wait that long ever time i want to play cs, i just wont play it! global operations here i come..  

11. No subject Mar 7, 2002, 07:02 anon@217.234

I guess people complain so much because they want Valve to release another genre-defining kick-ass game like the original HL?

Either you are under the impression that Valve could make another great game - then you can wait, because you know the quality will be worth it.
Or you think they'll screw up - then why even bother to work yourself up over them?

10. Re: No subject Mar 7, 2002, 05:36 anon@66.190

Quoting 1: "Why the hell do they keep doing crap like this instead of something really unprecendented like, oh, I don't know, release another game."

That's right, whine about the fact they are releasing more FREE STUFF that is the same quality as most people's released games. Come on!

I want TF2 as much as anyone, but to complain about them working on releasing retail quality mods for free is asinine. I paid for Half Life ONCE, the day it came out, and I have NEVER had a purchase be more worth it. It has been over THREE YEARS, and the engine, after numerous overhauls, is still one of the best multiplayer games out... and people still COMPLAIN! Rrgh.

9. Re: TF2?? Mar 7, 2002, 03:50 anon@80.135

Steam is very cool, actually. It'll be interesting to see whether the anti-cheat tech will work for any amount of time.  

8. Re: TF2?? Mar 7, 2002, 03:42 RaZ0r!

6- there are instructions on the stream web site how to manually uninstall Stream including reg key info.

RaZ0r!
Tweak Monkey and Gaming Extraordinaire =)

7. Re: Cheating Mar 7, 2002, 03:02 anon@208.190

A couple weeks? You overestimate Valve's collective competence at coding.  

6. Re: TF2?? Mar 7, 2002, 01:11 anon@24.247

INSTALL STEAM AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I was part of the closed beta and it won't let me uninstall it.

5. TF2?? Mar 7, 2002, 00:51 anon@24.104

CS is dead at least it is for me I have not played it for over a year, but then again I played it since its 1st release... ValVe get ur ass in Gear and finish TF2 or HL II.....  

4. Cheating Mar 7, 2002, 00:46 anon@24.114

I give this new anti-cheat system a couple of weeks before a "work around" is available. CS would be a fun mod, if cheating wasn't rampant...  

3. Re: No subject Mar 7, 2002, 00:18 anon@209.233

Indeed, a something new would be great. What's this Steam thing? Sounds like a steaming pile of $..t but that's just me. "Content Delivery" sounds like a new way to put ads in front of our eyeballs. I've got some balls for them.

BM

2. Re: No subject Mar 7, 2002, 00:16 anon@24.241

HAHA True that, who even plays this shizit anymore, got quite boring around 6.5 if you ask me  

1. No subject Mar 7, 2002, 00:10 anon@208.1

Why the hell do they keep doing crap like this instead of something really unprecendented like, oh, I don't know, release another game.  

74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo