View : : :
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Dans a real work of art
Feb 9, 2002, 07:49
Re: Dans a real work of art Feb 9, 2002, 07:49
Feb 9, 2002, 07:49

Are you...angry by any chance?

Man, chill out a bit. You are right on a certain level, the computer is a very expensive toy and there is the question of actual return, but all of this stuff just means that games/hardware/graphics/capabilities are improving.

The computer market definitely has some major problems, but it sure is a blast being a part of it and I would rather be a part of it as it is right now, hoping to improve things, than not be a part of it.

Shrugging,
Ray

Edit: Snip out unimportant part...
--------------------------------------------------------
When did we start hating...everything?
This comment was edited on Feb 9, 09:20.
Everything is awesome!!!
http://www.kindafunny.com/
I love you, mom.

Re: To buy or not to buy
Feb 8, 2002, 19:09
anon@172.149
Re: To buy or not to buy Feb 8, 2002, 19:09
Feb 8, 2002, 19:09
anon@172.149

wow, I didn't even realize the refresh rate on the monitor was an adjustable thing. I checked it in the device manager, and turned it from 60, which it had been at for the last two years, up to 85. The difference is remarkable, although I'm hard pressed to put my finger on it. Everything just seems more vibrant, although kind of rough on the eyes, probably 'cuz i'm used to the 60 mhz refresh rate. I'm sure I'll adjust. Learn something new everyday...

Re: To buy or not to buy
Feb 8, 2002, 17:55
Re: To buy or not to buy Feb 8, 2002, 17:55
Feb 8, 2002, 17:55

the eyes dosnt make up a difference after 40

Much as I hate people who go on & on about framerate is king, I felt I had to pick up on this statement as it's demonstrably false.

Try setting your monitor to 60Hz. Note the fact that your eyes start to ache extremely quickly, and that text isn't quite as sharp. Now go back to 85Hz. Mmmm...feel the smoothness.

To buy or not to buy
Feb 8, 2002, 16:02
anon@199.243
To buy or not to buy Feb 8, 2002, 16:02
Feb 8, 2002, 16:02
anon@199.243

well, i will be due like the previous poster to buy a new rig cuz its 4 years old. Of course the matter of buying something is pushed by the "NEED" of it. If you blame Nvidia about making wonderfull cards every years, its not them the problem its you who got it. Do you really notice a difference between a fps of 90 and 230 ? obviously if your eyes can tell me from wich planet your from cuz the eyes dosnt make up a difference after 40. When you'll have 7 fps in Q3 like me you will have a reason "ween" about something.

have a nice day

Re: Dans a real work(original post)
Feb 8, 2002, 14:46
Re: Dans a real work(original post) Feb 8, 2002, 14:46
Feb 8, 2002, 14:46

zig, I think NVidia helped out the Sidrial team for their mod

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

Re: Dans a real work(original post)
Feb 8, 2002, 14:38
zig
Re: Dans a real work(original post) Feb 8, 2002, 14:38
Feb 8, 2002, 14:38
zig

wow.. you really don't get it. like someone already said nVidia makes graphic cards.. that's what they do.. just because you plonked down 400 bucks for a geforce 3 ti500 doesn't mean they're going to stop making graphics cards just so you can feel all superior and like you have the top of the line. nvidia doesn't make games, it's not up to them to make sure the games can take advantage of their hardware. it's up to the game developers. from what i've heard, nVidia does all they can to give the game developers the information they need to take advantage of their newest stuff before it's out. and what he said about "If I buy a game a year from now, it's going to run really well." that's not BS. that's absolutely true. it may not run at 285 FPS, but it's going to be very very playable. Heck i still have a TNT 1 and i can play games that are coming out now. i got this card 3 or 4 years ago.

anyway.. everything you said is crap and isn't true =P

Feb 8, 2002, 14:26
Re: Dans a real work of art Feb 8, 2002, 14:26
Feb 8, 2002, 14:26

"The above statement is true. Gamers have been getting left in the dark ages."
PC Games are behind the capability of current technoloyg because they inherently have longer development cycles due to QA (since the games must work with an almost infinite number of hardware configurations). When's the last time you saw a Super Mario Beta 3?
But yes, the GF3 technology is already in games. Tribes 2 put in bumpmapped terrain a few months ago, and both SWG and Doom 3 will be made to specifically take advantage of nVidia's technology.
I don't see why you're complaining, though. NVidia comes out with new stuff to stay on top and give a reason to keep people employed. They're in the hardware business, and you can hardly admonish them for making more hardware. If you don't want one, don't buy one.
Your card isn't l33t anymore. So what? Did you think that nVidia wasn't going to come out with any new technology, or something?
Here's a fact about computer software and hardware: If it's on sale, it's already outdated. Deal with it.
This comment was edited on Feb 8, 14:42.
Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

Feb 8, 2002, 13:32
Re: Dans a real work of art Feb 8, 2002, 13:32
Feb 8, 2002, 13:32

You seem kinda peeved there, bucko. Is it Dans fault that publishers are so slow making games for his shiny new graphics cards? Maybe his company should slow down, not be so innovative, just sorta take their time releasing new cards... heck, gamers are loyal, we'd never jump to another company just because they came out with a faster product.

Please do NOT target my IP Address for any DDOS attacks!
I am not a man! I am a free number!

Dans a real work of art
Feb 8, 2002, 12:10
anon@142.179
Dans a real work of art Feb 8, 2002, 12:10
Feb 8, 2002, 12:10
anon@142.179

"But technology seems to be moving faster than the developers. I remember being at the GeForce 1 launch and seeing a similar presentation and even now the majority of games aren't using half the features of GeForce 1.

Dan: Well, they're starting to, actually. I mean if you look at the Xbox games... there are some Xbox games that look better than most of our demos."

they are starting to Dan?? Well the Geforce 256 has been out quite awhile now, same woth the Geforce 2 and 3. Now 4 is coming or here rather. So wtf are the games Dan? Just starting to come are they? The ability to play old games faster is kinda moot. No one gives a rats a** to play old tech games faster. They want next gen games NOW, to justify the need for their next gen cards NOW. BTW the XBox means very little to the PC gamer who is waiting for their time at bat with a system loaded with their Geforce cards=ladies in waiting lol
But as you say, "they are starting to come" ... JUST. If we are lucky, we may finally have a handfull by Xmas. What that means is no one had to buy any Geforce cards till this year. Way to milk the consumer.

"Well, sure Xbox games; the Xbox games we're seeing now look amazing - they're using plenty of the features of the nVidia hardware. But this is a PC card and PC gamers seem to getting left in a bit of a dark ages..."

The above statement is true. Gamers have been getting left in the dark ages.

"Dan:Well there's several, though. Comanche 4's pretty cool." <--- Commanche 4 blows. It is a console game delivered as a PC game in disguise.

"We did some really neat stuff in there. It doesn't use everything, but there are a number of games that are about to come out that are pretty cool - I shouldn't talk about it because I don't have the right to - but there's some games using that waving trees stuff. That's going to become really common really soon and is something which you couldn't do with GeForce 1 - at all."

If thats the case, why deliver the Geforce 1 at all? For money obviously, cause it sure didn`t sate gamers who want more than just to play Q3A at really fast speeds. ooooooh awwwwwe ohhhhhh

"The PC, on the other hand, you can upgrade the graphics every six months..."
Aaaaah more money in nVidias pocket. CHA CHINGGGGGG But the games are still not here.

"That's a lot of money to spend every six months"

Sure is for nothing but the promise of "they are starting to come".

"Dan: You don't have to do it every six months, though, but the games will follow." <---- When Dan?

"I look at a graphics purchase on the PC as an investment." <---- the consumer knows only too well how much money we/they have invested in your company because of the promise of the next gen games to come.

"You buy the graphics and it will run everything you want to play today, but faster." <---- this statement just doesn`t float anymore dude.

"And plus, it's ready for the next games that are coming, so when they do show up you have a card that can take advantage of it. If I buy a game a year from now, it's going to run really well." <--- BS Dan

roflmao , you just got thru stating above how these features in certain games just won`t run on a Geforce 1 card.

"Just lastly, Dan, why should our readers get excited about GeForce 4?"

"Dan: Because it's awesome."

Well you are right Dan, the card indeed looks to be awesome. ti500 investors are real happy about now to see the ti500 line pretty well extinct now. The games still are not here, but are coming. Lovely. So everyone should buy the card cause its awesome. Yeah , because thats the only reason to buy the card, cause the games are still not here=vapourwhere.

The games are gonna happen, no doubt. And many will buy the trickle that will arrive this year, and the games shere coolness factor alone is gonna bail your sorry a** out of the fire. But by nVidia milking the consumer with nothing but promises from the Geforce 1 thru 3, you have totally insulted the consumer, and it really doesn`t speak well for you and your company.
I love the cards btw. I owned the Geforce 256, and just upgraded to the ti500. I could care less about new cards arriving.... as long as there are games to justify the need. Having the games to play seems a whole lot more logical than as you put it "buy them cause they are cool".
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older