Gore Test 2

As promised, 4D Rulers has released a new test demo of Gore, their upcoming multi-player first-person shooter, and we have a local copy with mirrors of the 69.2 MB download. This test demo includes two new levels and one from the original test, 4 characters (2 UMC and 2 MOB), CTF and Tactical game modes in addition to deathmatch, all the weaponry from the first demo and half a dozen new weapons, and more.
View : : :
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: One who played
Nov 4, 2001, 00:22
anon@24.4
Re: One who played Nov 4, 2001, 00:22
Nov 4, 2001, 00:22
anon@24.4

"If thats the case then you mean the HL or Half-Life engine"

Yes, you are correct. I meant to say the HL engine. But TFC is a great game despite its age, and we both keep going back to it, don't we?!

And you're right, the cheating on CS is so pervasive, it has ruined the game for me. I'll never understand what drives people to waste so much time that way.

Anyway, I hope my comments about Gore were constructive.

Re: One who played
Nov 2, 2001, 23:52
Re: One who played Nov 2, 2001, 23:52
Nov 2, 2001, 23:52

c) it runs on the tried and true CS engine.

Huh? I'm thinking you're talking about Counterstrike. If thats the case then you mean the HL or Half-Life engine. Bearing in mind that HL used a heavily modified version of an Id engine.

TFC was well established before CS became the defacto online mod. Last time I checked CS had quite a few more players than TFC.

I really prefer TFC and just haven't been able to get into Counter Strike. The players on public servers don't communicate and the cheating seems so pervasive it's not worth loading up.

Snappy2Stroke

--What the hell, go and put all your eggs in one basket
-TPFKAS2S

One who played
Nov 2, 2001, 20:38
anon@24.4
One who played Nov 2, 2001, 20:38
Nov 2, 2001, 20:38
anon@24.4

Well, I played this game several times, and have some "constructive criticism" to offer. Remember, this is only my humble opinion.

This game has a lot of potential. But I'm afraid that, for me at least, this game will suffer the same fate as Tribes 2 (which sits gathering dust on a remote part of my desk), unless the authors clear up the hazy, disconnected feel of this game. In other words, I didn't feel like I was on a team, since my own team members seemed as "distant" as the enemy. At this point, the game lacks clarity in the ambient environment. Clearing it up will help immensely.

Team Fortress Classic, according to PC magazine, is the most popular multiplayer game in the world, and for some very important, yet simple reasons:

a) One feels like they are on a team, since the models look very realistic and you can easily identify with, and communicate with others;

b) the objectives, controls and interfaces are simple and clear;

c) it runs on the tried and true CS engine. The underlying story of the amazing classic Half-Life game permeates throughout. This, of course is due to the brilliance of the former Valve programmer who was scooped up by Sony for their PS game division, if I remember correctly.

Of course, duplicating the CS engine will be nearly impossible, but to continue with being constructive...

The Gore Test 2 weapons are intesting and varied, but I don't even feel like I'm aiming the sniper rifle when I have it on scope. And by the way, the sniper scope should be on a toggle, not as "only active when pressed".

The complexity of the city enviroment is interesting, but again, the ambience should be clearer, not hazy. Teammates should be able to gather and easily recognize what each other's functions, duties and intentions are, enhancing team play/strategies.

I hope that the authors of this game change the name, since I don't believe that the neither the selling point nor the object of an FPS game should simply be to see how much blood and guts splatter from the players heads. Shouldn't the game experience have more to do with really feeling in command of the game, having fun and dominating the enemy team? Maybe instead of Gore, it should be called Bush!

I appreciate the authors of Gore asking for our opinions and offering what is actually a very playable and quite interesting test game that has a lot of potential. Hopefully some of these ideas will be implemented into the game. If so, I may be tempted to buy the final copy.

Now, back to TFC!

Re: No subject
Nov 2, 2001, 12:50
Re: No subject Nov 2, 2001, 12:50
Nov 2, 2001, 12:50

"I find it a horrible Unreal Torunament ripoff}"

In what way is it a rip-off? The costumes? Game types? Power-Ups?

they were all there before UT and will be around long after. Thats why its called a "genre" as opposed to "Rip-off"

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

No subject
Nov 1, 2001, 22:14
No subject Nov 1, 2001, 22:14
Nov 1, 2001, 22:14

I agree with whoever it was further down the list. Bring back quakeworld. Stop all development on new FPS's and destroy all q3a and ut cd's. The disputes over these games are going to start a world war some day. All it takes is one foolish 'trigger-happy' person who doesn't really know what the fuck is going on and is overly opinionated on things that aren't as bad as they seem and it's on. A bit like these message boards really isn't it?

NOTES:
1) I am a quake whore. Quake rocks everything.
2) There is nothing wrong with UT.
(And the sooner UT whores start admitting the same
about Q3A the world, and these forums, will be a
better place!)
3) (Back to the task at hand...)
I'm currently dl'ing Gore because it seems the only
way to work out if it's worth it or not is to dl it
anyway. There have been only one or two useful
comments made about it so far. Blue needs to add a
posting option which when checked on says "I am an
anonymous idiot who is going to post something
completely stupid and not at all relevant to the
current topic."
so that those of us who wish to
read useful info can filter them out...

No subject
Nov 1, 2001, 14:34
No subject Nov 1, 2001, 14:34
Nov 1, 2001, 14:34

"Most people find the game very fun."

I guess it's not that hard for 20 people to say it's fun. I find it a horrible Unreal Torunament ripoff. I played it for more than an hour, all you have to do now is take my word for it.

No subject
Nov 1, 2001, 07:38
No subject Nov 1, 2001, 07:38
Nov 1, 2001, 07:38

#37, the game looks excellent once you play. I gurantee 99% of these idiots ragging on the game didnt play it longer than 10-15 minutes (of course someone will reply claiming they played it longer but Ive found most cant even answer simple questions about the gameplay giving credence to my theory ) The engine screams, the dynamic lighting is awesome, the shaders and textures are awesome. Most people find the game very fun.

No, the dev team isnt up to the standards of iD/Epic, they are a group of guys who love hardcore shooters and are fortunate enough to make a game they enjoy playing, hoping that others do as well. Although the game does have a way to go and some loose ends to tie up, it is far from "absolute garbage". The best way is to check it out yourself and play at LEAST an hour to get all the game has to offer as it has a lot of little nuances that arent apparent at first

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Interesting
Nov 1, 2001, 00:05
Interesting Nov 1, 2001, 00:05
Nov 1, 2001, 00:05

Hey folks--

A few quick questions/comments to put out there.

1) Has anybody heard if Gore (when it reaches full-fledged demo status, as opposed to Test1, Test2, etc.) will be put onto a game magazine CD for people to test out? Some of us don't have the kewl cable/DSl/T-Whatever connection and would like to give it a spin but don't want to wait 6 hours for the download.

2) Sounds like a lot of the slagging that is going on is because it seems unpolished, unimagintaive, etc. Well, this *is* a FPS game, and killing things has always been the goal of a FPS game. No originality there, that's for sure. Q3A wasn't original, but it does deliver a fine game, so who cares if we've seen that particular cow before? The game is the important thing, and if people are having fun, why not let them?

3) Oh, also, this is a *test* game. I posted something similar like this for the Wolf test thread as well. People, you can't expect a TEST to fully measure up to established games like CS, UT and Q3A. Until it's gone gold and in the stores, be constructive with the criticism.

4) I have to admit, it doesn't look that impressive in the screenshots. Then again, I wasn't particularly impressed by my first visual evidence of Quake back in 1996. When I got my paws on it, boy was I wrong about that game. Not saying Gore will be Quake Redux, but I'm willing to give it a chance, at least on the full-fledged demo version.

5) All of this is being written by somebody who has never played the game. I'll wait for the finished demo, no tests for me, thanks. Tests have this way of crashing systems. . . let the downloader beware!

Vicar

This comment was edited on Nov 1, 00:16.
"Irony is good for the blood." -- S.E.K.

Oct 31, 2001, 22:54
anon@24.4
Re: No subject Oct 31, 2001, 22:54
Oct 31, 2001, 22:54
anon@24.4

Wow, you guys are really serious about your gaming! Sorry to cause such a stir with my question, but I thank you all very much for your advice. Think I'll try all the games mentioned to see how they play. By the way, what is AvP?

No subject
Oct 31, 2001, 21:23
No subject Oct 31, 2001, 21:23
Oct 31, 2001, 21:23

"Stuped toy-like weapons, Poor AI"

Another poor Unreal whore. Hey, wanna go play shoot-the-buggar-gun-while-listening-to-shitty-techno-and-very-square-and-unoriginal-level-design? Go ahead. Don't show your face here unless you want to look like an idiot.

No subject
Oct 31, 2001, 21:20
No subject Oct 31, 2001, 21:20
Oct 31, 2001, 21:20

"Sure takes skill to press fire once to fire a rocket towards 5 people and gib them."

Maybe I shouldn't be defending Quake 3 as much as I would like to. For one reason, it is definitely more skill-oriented than CS any day. Forget the lucky-ass headshots, I was no bullshit battles (and that means very few to no cheaters at all).

"You can win matches just by running like a headless chicken holding fire down."

The day that makes sense is the day the world stops turning.

"The people who slag off games like CS because of their slight realism are the ones who are shite at them and are nothing but quake whores because they cant play any other game without getting capped in seconds."

First of all, I am a Quake whore, and am proud of it. I find it funny how every time I cheat they say I have no skills, but when I turn them off I kick their ass anyways.

Your game is for the unskilled gamers. You know myg0t? I saw them play without the cheats. They, too, are a skill bunch without the cheats.

Actually, now that I think about it, I don't think you have ever played a Quake game in your life. Leave CS to the dogs...

This comment was edited on Oct 31, 21:21.

The one who knows
Oct 31, 2001, 15:56
anon@213.226
The one who knows Oct 31, 2001, 15:56
Oct 31, 2001, 15:56
anon@213.226

Going to play it now, but all I can say is - Unreal Tournament - Best AI, Best Weapons, Best level design. Quake 3 - Best engine, Stuped toy-like weapons, Poor AI. Unreal Tournament is the best shooter of all times (well quake2 was kinda good). You think CS is realistic, then your knowledge in combat reality are equal to none. Looking forward to Wolf and AvP2 as I actualy liked them after trying out the demos. If Monolith wont f*** the game with bull, AvP2 will be the best.

Oct 31, 2001, 06:32
Re: No subject Oct 31, 2001, 06:32
Oct 31, 2001, 06:32

Sure takes skill to press fire once to fire a rocket towards 5 people and gib them. I played quake 3 repeatedly for months and now its as boring as sin. You can win matches just by running like a headless chicken holding fire down. Its more newbie friendly than any other FPS game I know of.

The people who slag off games like CS because of their slight realism are the ones who are shite at them and are nothing but quake whores because they cant play any other game without getting capped in seconds.

No subject
Oct 30, 2001, 21:09
No subject Oct 30, 2001, 21:09
Oct 30, 2001, 21:09

"Shit like Quake 3 are too dated and require as much skill as pressing a button to master."

This is not the first time I had to address a newbie to the gaming community.

So, anyway, you wouldn't mind telling me where the skill is in hitting someone 3 times to die in a fire fight that lasts less than a second would you?

Deathmatch is not the past, it is the future. Gameplay is overwhelming at the moment - though, you do not see a reason why people like teamplay. Most do not act as a team.

Go figure.

P.S. Quake 3 requires more skillful manipulation of the environment and more weapons than naught.

Re: Deleted
Oct 30, 2001, 10:23
Re: Deleted Oct 30, 2001, 10:23
Oct 30, 2001, 10:23

Agreed. Absolute garbage. You clowns may know me as a bit of a warez monkey , but I aint even gonna download this piece of crap when it comes out , waste of bandwith.

Re: Need advice
Oct 30, 2001, 06:36
anon@195.92
Re: Need advice Oct 30, 2001, 06:36
Oct 30, 2001, 06:36
anon@195.92

hm CS' biggest prob (i think) is that faction of the "community" who are childish idiots. Personally, I think we should all play QW as I always found it better than q2/qw/uht/cs/etc. Having said that, my aging reactions can no longer keep up with its speed, as they've been deadened by growing old and playing cs (which was fun for a while, but no gaming saviour).

pob

Re: Need advice
Oct 30, 2001, 05:37
Re: Need advice Oct 30, 2001, 05:37
Oct 30, 2001, 05:37

Without a doubt, Counter Strike and Return To Castle Wolfenstein are the 2 main players today for online FPS games. Shit like Quake 3 are too dated and require as much skill as pressing a button to master. Deathmatch is past it - team player with objectives is where its at.

I cant comment on Tribes 2 multiplayer as I only tried the single player on a, ahem, special demo, which sucked majorly so im guessing the online play sucks too since it was the weapons and look I had a problem with.

Serious Sam which I tried online once was missing some "oomph" so to speak. It just didnt feel right in deathmatch, so I would give that a miss too.

No doubt someone will flame me for what I have said but it is my views on what I have tried - Counter Strike is still the best online game I have ever played, and still is - but only just. The 1.3 version has been ruined by headshot mania, and is more newbie friendly but its still good for a laugh. When wolfenstein gets released fully, I can see that being a close runner to Counter Strike and may even overtake it if CS doesnt alter the headshot nonsense.

Need advice
Oct 29, 2001, 20:13
anon@24.4
Need advice Oct 29, 2001, 20:13
Oct 29, 2001, 20:13
anon@24.4

Hi everyone, I'm no technical expert on gaming, although I've been playing them since "Pong" back in the 70's. I'm presently addicted to TFC 1.5 right now.... I know what you're thinking, I'm a lightweight, I know :-) but it's a lot of fun. I've also had many enjoyable hours playing the online version of Mechwarrior 4. I tried Tribes 2, but thought it sucked in a major way: it's too foggy, misty, and I get my ass blown up constantly by enemies I don't even see, and can't even chat during gameplay. Does anyone else agree? Anyway, you guys seem to know a lot about first-person shooter games, and was wondering what you would recommend I try as the best FPS (multiplayer) war game on the market now. Would that be Quake 3? Serious Sam? Thanks for your help!

Re: Not much of a sniper rifle, eh?
Oct 29, 2001, 18:27
Re: Not much of a sniper rifle, eh? Oct 29, 2001, 18:27
Oct 29, 2001, 18:27

"Chasm: The Rift"

I played that game, it was a let-down quake clone.. fit quake almost to a T (it came out using what looked to be the quake engine after quake 2 was released if I recall correctly... which I'm probably not doing )

I eat pasta!

No subject
Oct 29, 2001, 03:42
No subject Oct 29, 2001, 03:42
Oct 29, 2001, 03:42

"Chasm: The Rift"

Never played it. Though, I did see it in the store.

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older