Out of the Blue

Kirill Popov and Frans managed to explain to a monkey like me that Unix time turned 1 billion yesterday (signifying the number of seconds since January 1, 1970). Since the highest number a 32-bit Unix system can register is 2,147,483,647, the Unix equivalent of the Y2K problem is on track for early 2038, when, unless 64-bit time, or some other innovation comes along, the time on a whole lot of systems (including Blammo) will revert to zero (it'll be here sooner than anyone thinks--we'd better get to programming now!).

A further commemorative note: Today is the second anniversary of the Dreamcast launch, as the console system was released on the symmetrical 9/9/99. The next date of note in the Dreamcast timeline will be January 23, 2002 which will be the first anniversary of the first indications that Sega was killing the system off (story). I believe the anniversary of the death of my own Dreamcast will take place sometime this week, as it was one of those classic moments of a product dying scant moments after it's out of warranty. The anniversaries of the cancellations of all those DC games that were in progress when the DC was canned will, of course, be too numerous to mention, but the 16-month active lifespan of the system offers a different perspective on the argument that the unified architecture consoles boast is an advantage over PCs, especially since console manufacturers take a bath on each system they sell in the hopes of recouping their losses on game licensing.

Link of the Day: Why I Lost That Deathmatch. Thanks Dale.
Wild Science: National Security Nightmare (CBS). Thanks Captain Kaos[doh].

View : : :
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Deathmatch
Sep 9, 2001, 17:40
Deathmatch Sep 9, 2001, 17:40
Sep 9, 2001, 17:40

Sounds like a Gamespy "Daily Victim" minus Gabe's art. Should Fargo sue?

Cholma

unix
Sep 9, 2001, 15:45
unix Sep 9, 2001, 15:45
Sep 9, 2001, 15:45

The number you quote is for a signed integer, an unsigned integer would be twice as big so you can easily extend the life by changing the time value from an integer to an unsigned integer. I think. Hurry up and do that before it's too late.

play 'fare'
Sep 9, 2001, 13:28
play 'fare' Sep 9, 2001, 13:28
Sep 9, 2001, 13:28

...very well written.

except for the you will not fair so well in a rematch, where "fair" should be "fare". Dew knot trussed you're spell chequer two fined awl miss steaks.

-Devster

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

Re: Ads, just to revisit the old theme
Sep 9, 2001, 12:53
Re: Ads, just to revisit the old theme Sep 9, 2001, 12:53
Sep 9, 2001, 12:53

Yup, the ads are so non-invasive that I wouldn't mind more of them, if Blue's ever needs to add some.

BTW, that "Why I Lost That Deathmatch" was hilarious; very well written.

Ads, just to revisit the old theme
Sep 9, 2001, 12:12
Ads, just to revisit the old theme Sep 9, 2001, 12:12
Sep 9, 2001, 12:12

As no-one's posted anything up, I though I'd just mention a small change I've noticed in the ads here - they seem to be relevant to the people that read here now - I went all the way through to the registration process for Substance TV, before realising that I can't sign up yet as I'm not in the US... d'oh.

Still, it's good to see that the advertising is actually appealing to me now. I must also say that the increased number of ads isn't in any way annoying me - which is definitely a bonus

Congrats, Blue, you'll get the BlueJet soon.

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older