New id Games Announcement

AMDZone has now posted the press release officially announcing Quake IV and the untitled Nerve Software project that were unveiled at QuakeCon earlier today (story). A concept image of the gladiator character from Quake IV is also included. Here is an excerpt from the full press release:
New titles announced at the press event include Quake IV, currently in development by long-time id Software contributor Raven Software, and an as-of-yet unnamed project in development by Nerve Software. Both games are executive produced by id Software and published by Activision, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI).

"It's going to be a ton of fun to be working with the guys we know so well at Raven on Quake IV and the new team at Nerve is a real up-and-commer in the industry," said Todd Hollenshead, CEO, id Software. "With Return to Castle Wolfenstein, the new DOOM, our collaboration with Nerve, and Quake IV on the horizon, gamers have loads to look forward to."

Quake IV marks a return to id Software's trademark single-player gameplay experience through the extension of the Quake II universe, and will use the company's advanced new DOOM game engine.

The project being developed by Nerve is based on an original design by id Software. The game is still in the early stages of development with more details to be announced later this year. Nerve Software was co-founded by ex-id Software employee Brandon James.
View : : :
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Quake IV's effect on Doom 3?
Aug 11, 2001, 08:35
anon@198.26
Re: Quake IV's effect on Doom 3? Aug 11, 2001, 08:35
Aug 11, 2001, 08:35
anon@198.26

very true #7- i mean talk about taking a game and running it over and over and over and over and over and over and over.... and over and over and over and.... damn! quake was NEVER anything about single player! the single player was worse than evercrack! (there is no single player in eversuck) anyways, what they need to NOT do, is make 800 games that are like daikatana- they need to take all that time and manoey, and use it to make sure DOOM doesnt suck! even the fact that it is quake again makes me wanna poo- stop using the same damn game and be origional for ONCE!

Aug 10, 2001, 22:00
Re: Quake IV's effect on Doom 3? Aug 10, 2001, 22:00
Aug 10, 2001, 22:00

I doubt we'll see id stop developing games in-house any time soon, seems more like they're just trying to break away from their old franchises and start afresh, which is a great move, although it's been a long time coming. We'll prolly see Gray Matter develop the Doom game after this one.

Love the new Gladiator

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 01:41.

Aug 10, 2001, 21:26
anon@134.114
Re: Quake IV's effect on Doom 3? Aug 10, 2001, 21:26
Aug 10, 2001, 21:26
anon@134.114

"Quake IV marks a return to id Software's trademark single-player gameplay experience through the extension of the Quake II universe, and will use the company's advanced new DOOM game engine."

LOL..Yea the Quake series trademark has always been good single player games...NOT.

Its pretty obvious why id is doing all this contracting. They finnally realize they are a technology company. Leave it to others to make the games.

Quake IV's effect on Doom 3?
Aug 10, 2001, 20:28
Quake IV's effect on Doom 3? Aug 10, 2001, 20:28
Aug 10, 2001, 20:28

With the announcement that Quake IV will be focused on single-player I have to *seriously* wonder if we can expect an announcement soon that Doom "Next" will be re-focusing on multiplayer action. It seems a bit odd to me to think that id would be trying to extend both the Quake and Doom franchises into the single-player genre without anything focusing on multiplayer. Stay tuned...

no "Matrix-style effects"
Aug 10, 2001, 20:25
no "Matrix-style effects" Aug 10, 2001, 20:25
Aug 10, 2001, 20:25

Note that GameSpy Daily retracted their comments on the "Matrix-style effects", before that draws some Max Payne vs. Q4 *yawn* posts over to here...

-Devster

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

Re: No subject
Aug 10, 2001, 19:49
Re: No subject Aug 10, 2001, 19:49
Aug 10, 2001, 19:49

From shaknews about the nerve project

A collaborative effort was also announced between id software and the new software company of Brandon James, Nerve Software. That as-of-yet-unnamed game was
described as "multiplayer, cooperative-focused." The Nerve game is also going to use the Doom 3-engine.

My e. coli cures cancer!
Playing with yeast to help you live longer!
My e. coli cures cancer!

Quake 4
Aug 10, 2001, 19:47
Quake 4 Aug 10, 2001, 19:47
Aug 10, 2001, 19:47

While it will have a singleplayer aspect (as the PR mentioned) I suspect that they're going to put a lot into the Quake 4 mutliplayer just to please the online gaming scene which is already going off Quake 3 (and Counter Strike is too different to truly appeal to a lot of the Quake hardcore).

node

This comment was edited on Aug 10, 21:10.

Single Player Extravaganza
Aug 10, 2001, 19:40
Single Player Extravaganza Aug 10, 2001, 19:40
Aug 10, 2001, 19:40

"Quake IV marks a return to id Software's trademark single-player gameplay experience through the extension of the Quake II universe, and will use the company's advanced new DOOM game engine."

Wow. DOOM, Wolfenstein and now a single player oriented QuakeIV. If the game by Nerve turns out to be single player too, I'm going to pee my pants. This is like a 180ยบ turnaround for id, from multiplayer action to single player depth. Back to their roots, if you will.

Kudos to them not being content to just license out their engines, but to further development of their own ideas, even if they're not doing it. I wonder how much influence one Mr.Graeme Devine has had in ordering the company focus...

-Devster

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

No subject
Aug 10, 2001, 19:35
No subject Aug 10, 2001, 19:35
Aug 10, 2001, 19:35

I know, I can't wait... gives some hope to a few good games

But, can I just make one request Id?

Please, please, please ,please incorporate Cooperative mode?
-The Dude-

Vic B.
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older