Out of the Blue

Deadline reports plans for a remake of A Fistful Of Dollars, the Sergio Leone-directed classic that kicked off the "man with no name" series where Clint Eastwood starred as men who actually had names (Joe, Manco/Monco, and Blondie). I'm on record with my love for spaghetti westerns, but it's hard to imagine recreating the unusual circumstances that made these moments from the 1960s so memorable. So I don't think I'm on board for this, though contemplating it does make me realize I'm due for a rewatch of Fistful, so there's that.

Fistful of Links
Thanks Ant, Neutronbeam, and Max.

Breakfast Link

Stories
Thanks Boing Boing.

Science

Media

View : : :
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: OotB: For a literal few dollars more
Jul 14, 2024, 18:50
Re: OotB: For a literal few dollars more Jul 14, 2024, 18:50
Jul 14, 2024, 18:50

Ah, already posted.

Re: OotB: For a few dollars more
Jul 11, 2024, 18:33
Re: OotB: For a few dollars more Jul 11, 2024, 18:33
Jul 11, 2024, 18:33

Prez wrote on Jul 11, 2024, 17:08:
Factoid that is both irrelevant to the discussion and that nobody asked for: Ozzy guitarist Randy Rhoads is the person who inspired me to become a musician. I've heard better, but never more influential and formative. An absolute legend.
Great live example.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Re: OotB: For a few dollars more
Jul 11, 2024, 17:08
Prez

Re: OotB: For a few dollars more Jul 11, 2024, 17:08
Jul 11, 2024, 17:08
 Prez

Factoid that is both irrelevant to the discussion and that nobody asked for: Ozzy guitarist Randy Rhoads is the person who inspired me to become a musician. I've heard better, but never more influential and formative. An absolute legend.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jul 11, 2024, 16:50
Re: OotB: For a literal few dollars more Jul 11, 2024, 16:50
Jul 11, 2024, 16:50

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 11, 2024, 16:26:
Beamer wrote on Jul 11, 2024, 15:20:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 11, 2024, 14:47:
The Wraith is absolutely awesome in a way that only 80s B movies can be. Plus, you know, a young Sherilyn Fenn naked in it.

And a soundtrack that's like 90% Ozzy's least favorite album.
That movie is why my wife really enjoys Ozzy. Me, too, I guess, and we both love that album even if he is barely willing to talk about it.

We call that "I need money for cocaine" licensing though only Secret Loser appears in the soundtrack.

The reason Ozzy dislikes that album is because how it was mixed and his complaint is valid. The songs all do sound the same with no dynamics.

I think it's deeper than that. It was remastered once, which could have corrected that, and other albums have been remastered several times. He rarely plays songs from it, and seems to have issues with Jake Lee. I think Ozzy was barely involved in this album, and shortly after fired Lee by phone, then mentioned him I think twice in his biography.

I agree with the lack of dynamics, but think part of it is writing, which may be the issue. The songs do sound kind of the same, regardless of mixing/mastering. It's like one of my favorite albums, Cherish the Lightyears by synthwave band Cold Cave. He clearly wanted to write something big and booming, so while the songs individually are dynamic, the album itself has no quiet spaces to breath, and just hits you like a bass drum wall of death straight through. Well mixed, but the album needed a few different songs with and for different pacing.

Jul 11, 2024, 16:45
Prez

Re: OotB: For a literal few dollars more Jul 11, 2024, 16:45
Jul 11, 2024, 16:45
 Prez

Yeah Dio would have done a lot better with that album.

**Runs out of thread laughing maniacally**

Okay that was the last RJD joke I swear.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jul 11, 2024, 16:26
Re: OotB: For a literal few dollars more Jul 11, 2024, 16:26
Jul 11, 2024, 16:26

Beamer wrote on Jul 11, 2024, 15:20:
The Wraith is absolutely awesome in a way that only 80s B movies can be. Plus, you know, a young Sherilyn Fenn naked in it.

That movie is why my wife really enjoys Ozzy. Me, too, I guess, and we both love that album even if he is barely willing to talk about it.

We call that "I need money for cocaine" licensing though only Secret Loser appears in the soundtrack.

The reason Ozzy dislikes that album is because how it was mixed and his complaint is valid. The songs all do sound the same with no dynamics.

"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Jul 11, 2024, 16:04
Re: OotB: For a literal few dollars more Jul 11, 2024, 16:04
Jul 11, 2024, 16:04

Prez wrote on Jul 11, 2024, 14:57:
I just watched the trailer. That hair! Those clothes! I'm so in!

Remember how easy it was to turn a profit with movie budgets like those?
It sounded vaguely familiar, after watching the trailer on IMDB I am fairly certain I watched at some point but I don't really recall anything about it.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jul 11, 2024, 15:20
Re: OotB: For a literal few dollars more Jul 11, 2024, 15:20
Jul 11, 2024, 15:20

Jul 11, 2024, 14:57
Prez

Re: OotB: For a literal few dollars more Jul 11, 2024, 14:57
Jul 11, 2024, 14:57
 Prez

I just watched the trailer. That hair! Those clothes! I'm so in!

Remember how easy it was to turn a profit with movie budgets like those?
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jul 11, 2024, 14:47
Re: OotB: For a literal few dollars more Jul 11, 2024, 14:47
Jul 11, 2024, 14:47

"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Jul 11, 2024, 14:01
Prez

Re: OotB: For a literal few dollars more Jul 11, 2024, 14:01
Jul 11, 2024, 14:01
 Prez

I remember "Deathstalker", "Beastmaster" and "Krull". The difference being that while I loved them as a kid, I recognize them as trash now. I do enjoy "Deathstalker" in a "so bad it's good" kind of way, but that's it. "Howard the Duck" I still genuinely like, or at least I did when I last saw it in my 40's. I might had already become certifiable by that time though.

EDIT: It took some google-fu to jolt my memory on "The Wraith". I know that I saw it, but I'll be damned if I can remember anything about it. It holds up you say? I'll rewatch.

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2024, 14:14.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jul 11, 2024, 13:51
Re: OotB: For a literal few dollars more Jul 11, 2024, 13:51
Jul 11, 2024, 13:51

Prez wrote on Jul 11, 2024, 13:38:
So he was in fact an alien. And the movie was terrible. But, as Beamer mentioned, it was always on, and I always watched it.

That wasn't even the worst movie I have liked in my life. If I wasn't starting to feel so self conscious I would tell you the others, but I am getting a complex.

Another movie always on when I was a kid was The Wraith. Unlike Howard the Duck, I was thrilled when this was on, and rewatching it now, I will say it totally holds up.

Jul 11, 2024, 13:38
Prez

Re: OotB: For a literal few dollars more Jul 11, 2024, 13:38
Jul 11, 2024, 13:38
 Prez

So he was in fact an alien. And the movie was terrible. But, as Beamer mentioned, it was always on, and I always watched it.

That wasn't even the worst movie I have liked in my life. If I wasn't starting to feel so self conscious I would tell you the others, but I am getting a complex.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jul 11, 2024, 12:58
Re: OotB: For a literal few dollars more Jul 11, 2024, 12:58
Jul 11, 2024, 12:58

Blue wrote on Jul 11, 2024, 11:49:
Prez wrote on Jul 11, 2024, 09:49:
I don't remember him being one. The antagonists of the film were definitely aliens, but unless my memory is failing me he was one of those characters whose impossible existence was just accepted as how it is in the universe.

I just remembered that this was a George Lucas movie in a manner of speaking. That's funny because it's still only the 3rd worst thing he has ever done, after the prequels and the Star Wars holiday special.
Can confirm: Howard the Duck is an alien.
Also can confirm: That movie is terrible.

But one of the most interesting terrible movies ever made. Studios don't really take small swings like that anymore, let alone huge ones (though it was more Lucas taking the swing than a studio.) I mean, being interesting doesn't make it watchable, and as a kid it just made me feel bad when it was on TV (which it always was), but it's definitely interesting.

Jul 11, 2024, 11:49
Re: OotB: For a literal few dollars more Jul 11, 2024, 11:49
Jul 11, 2024, 11:49

Prez wrote on Jul 11, 2024, 09:49:
I don't remember him being one. The antagonists of the film were definitely aliens, but unless my memory is failing me he was one of those characters whose impossible existence was just accepted as how it is in the universe.

I just remembered that this was a George Lucas movie in a manner of speaking. That's funny because it's still only the 3rd worst thing he has ever done, after the prequels and the Star Wars holiday special.
Can confirm: Howard the Duck is an alien.
Also can confirm: That movie is terrible.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Jul 11, 2024, 09:49
Prez

Re: OotB: For a literal few dollars more Jul 11, 2024, 09:49
Jul 11, 2024, 09:49
 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi

Jul 11, 2024, 09:16
Re: OotB: For a literal few dollars more Jul 11, 2024, 09:16
Jul 11, 2024, 09:16

Prez wrote on Jul 11, 2024, 09:02:
I unironically like "Howard the Duck" for example. It was an awful, awful movie, but I would watch it every time it was on. Haven't watched it in a very long time however.
I've only ever seen bits and pieces, he is alien, right?
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jul 11, 2024, 09:02
Prez

Re: OotB: For a literal few dollars more Jul 11, 2024, 09:02
Jul 11, 2024, 09:02
 Prez

Guilty pleasures and movies steeped in personal nostalgia are forever exempt from criticism in an individual's case in my book. I think that the Star Wars prequels are uniquely terrible but I know many people who love them because they grew up watching them for example. I unironically like several objectively terrible things that are guilty pleasures myself. I think everyone does.

I unironically like "Howard the Duck" for example. It was an awful, awful movie, but I would watch it every time it was on. Haven't watched it in a very long time however.

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2024, 09:12.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jul 11, 2024, 08:55
Re: OotB: For a literal few dollars more Jul 11, 2024, 08:55
Jul 11, 2024, 08:55

Prez wrote on Jul 11, 2024, 08:02:
The remake question is a dicey one. Can you amply capture the brilliance of the satire and singularly unique tone of the original "RoboCop" for example? Maybe it's possible, but the actual remake was the most stark example of downgrade from original to remake that I have ever seen. And I didn't think the original "RoboCop" was the best movie ever. But it was perfect for what it was. "The Thing 2011" was worse than the original in every measurable way, making someone wonder what the point even was. Studios try to be cute by now doing the soft reboots that star the original movie's actors, like "Ghostbusters 2016", "Jurassic World Whatever the Fuck", or "Indiana Jones Dial of Destiny", but all you ever seem to get are ... well, movies like "Ghostbusters 2016", "Jurassic World Whatever the Fuck", or "Indiana Jones Dial of Destiny". I pray to god in hell or metropolis that they stop this nonsense soon.

There have been some remakes that justify their existence by being at least somewhat decent enough to share the name, but for every good remake (that we didn't need), there are 1000 horrible ones it seems. Make something new instead of trying to stand on the shoulders of giants little people.

Couldn't agree more! Except for Jurassic World Whatever the Fuck. For some reason -- and that reason MUST be the innocent little me still nudged in a time-capsule in my brain somewhere -- I like the Jurassic World movies. Yes, even or especially the ridiculous trend where the T-Rex is the anti-hero of the trilogy. And I just love Blue, the good velociraptor. And while I write this, I realize how ashamed I should be...

I understand a reason for the "standing on shoulders of giants" though, however much I hate it like you do. It's because of all the NOISE! The endless amount of tv-shows and movies that keep pouring out of streaming services like Netflix. Who the fuck cares about "Nevermore: Death Inevitable" when we have STAR WARS AND INDIANA JONES 🤘😖
Where are the adults?

Jul 11, 2024, 08:02
Prez

Re: OotB: For a literal few dollars more Jul 11, 2024, 08:02
Jul 11, 2024, 08:02
 Prez

The remake question is a dicey one. Can you amply capture the brilliance of the satire and singularly unique tone of the original "RoboCop" for example? Maybe it's possible, but the actual remake was the most stark example of downgrade from original to remake that I have ever seen. And I didn't think the original "RoboCop" was the best movie ever. But it was perfect for what it was. "The Thing 2011" was worse than the original in every measurable way, making someone wonder what the point even was. Studios try to be cute by now doing the soft reboots that star the original movie's actors, like "Ghostbusters 2016", "Jurassic World Whatever the Fuck", or "Indiana Jones Dial of Destiny", but all you ever seem to get are ... well, movies like "Ghostbusters 2016", "Jurassic World Whatever the Fuck", or "Indiana Jones Dial of Destiny". I pray to god in hell or metropolis that they stop this nonsense soon.

There have been some remakes that justify their existence by being at least somewhat decent enough to share the name, but for every good remake (that we didn't need), there are 1000 horrible ones it seems. Make something new instead of trying to stand on the shoulders of giants little people.

And I constantly get reminded of it, so let me say that yes, I am aware that 'The Thing' is itself a remake of a sci-fi thriller from the '50's. And were it not for John Carpenter's masterpiece, how many of you would have ever heard of that movie? Remakes make sense when they improve on an original movie with a unique concept but subpar execution.

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2024, 08:56.
- Mahatma Gandhi
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older