7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Evening Tech Bits
Jul 9, 2024, 14:05
Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 9, 2024, 14:05
Jul 9, 2024, 14:05

I don't think I'd ever actually seen someone thrilled with HPs policies before.

Jul 9, 2024, 11:36
Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 9, 2024, 11:36
Jul 9, 2024, 11:36

gsilver wrote on Jul 9, 2024, 11:24:
*Shrugs*

I've been happy enough with my Brother Laserjet.
Got the first back in 2006, and aside from the slight inconvenience of Brother slightly changing the outer casing of the toner cartridges, requiring me to either track down an old one that was an exact fit... or just get a new one and saw off the bit that they changed, it worked well enough until I decided that I really needed to just get one that worked over Wifi last year, and got another Brother Laserjet.

I don't print a lot of pages, and the HP Inkjets I had prior to the '06 Laserjet seemed to still run out of ink immediately. I couldn't even tell you how long it was in-between Laserjet toner cartridges, but it was quite a while.
Here’s the deal with an inkjet, you have to run multiple head cleaning cycles that waste a ton of ink if you don’t use them regularly, because the ink dries on the head - clogging the injectors. Half the time you end up having to replace the cartridge because it won’t clear up. And if you fall for the “just in time” ink subscription service you’re out of luck when a cartridge shits the bed. You can’t run down to the store for ink because your printer is permanently firmware locked into subscription only cartridges. So when faced with a prematurely dead cartridge, you are stuck dealing with HP support and waiting for the mailman to deliver your subscription replacement.

Here’s the deal with a laser printer when you don’t use it for a year. It Just Prints

“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Jul 9, 2024, 11:24
Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 9, 2024, 11:24

*Shrugs*

I've been happy enough with my Brother Laserjet.
Got the first back in 2006, and aside from the slight inconvenience of Brother slightly changing the outer casing of the toner cartridges, requiring me to either track down an old one that was an exact fit... or just get a new one and saw off the bit that they changed, it worked well enough until I decided that I really needed to just get one that worked over Wifi last year, and got another Brother Laserjet.

I don't print a lot of pages, and the HP Inkjets I had prior to the '06 Laserjet seemed to still run out of ink immediately. I couldn't even tell you how long it was in-between Laserjet toner cartridges, but it was quite a while.

Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 9, 2024, 11:24

My back is already thrown out just thinking about carrying all that water.
Impressive Thumbsup
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Jul 9, 2024, 11:12
Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 9, 2024, 11:12
Jul 9, 2024, 11:12

Instant Ink for Ink Jets isn't going anywhere, thankfully...;) The write-up was fairly clear about only the Laser Jets' Instant Toner Ink plans getting the boot. I just got a high-capacity black ink cartridge shipped to my door free of charge through instant Ink. If you live in the states and own a color Ink Jet sold in the last 3-5 years, you can't beat the deal--especially if you use the printer to print full-color pages. So much better than messing with homemade refill cartridges, or looking for deals in retail cartridges, as you will never find a better deal than Instant Ink going. I've tried!

The great thing about is that you are never charged by the amount of Ink you consume, but by the full page, instead! Premium quality full page color prints cost you exactly the same as full pages of black text @ draft quality! You can print 300/600/1200 DPI, doesn't matter. If you don't use your page allotment for a month, you can roll over up to three months! Cheapest plan is $72 per year, you pay $4.99 per month on your debit card, and billing is automagical. There are at least two more plans to pick from, offering more pages per month, etc. You can cancel at any time if you don't like it, but anyone who uses a printer even semi-regularly will find great value here.

I use an HP Office Jet Pro 8030 scanner, printer, copier, and even a fax if you need that info, btw. Bought it direct from HP/Amazon during the height of the Covid pandemic of fraud for less than half what they are going for now. Configures quick and easy on my home network, right through my 8-port home switch. Instant Ink has sent me 6 color cartridges in the past year (separate C,M,Y cartridges) and 2 large capacity Black cartridges.

Of note, if you are a long-time Ink Jet user, you know how it feels when you buy cartridges at retail only to discover that some of them have dried out and simply won't work, or else work for long! This is the second printer I've had enrolled in the Instant Ink, Ink Jet program over the past several years, and I have yet to receive a bum cartridge! Not one. I don't even think about that anymore. Before Instant Ink, I was forced to think about that a lot! What a relief.

Highlights:

* Most people today have "always on" Internet access plans, as it's become the standard. The plan reads the cartridge levels once a month, when they tally your page usage, and the beauty of the system is that they know when you are running low, and they ship you the replacement cartridges so that you receive them before the existing cartridge runs completely dry! System works great--my wife is very pleased with it as she uses the printer far more than I. All shipping charges are included in the monthly debit of $4.99! You get an email with a tracking number on the cartridges.

* Yes, you leave your printer "on" 24/7/365. Here's what that amounts to: After using the printer, the printer drops into stand-by mode in two hours automatically, which is the mode Instant Ink needs to function. Don't want to wait two hours for stand-by mode? Just hold down the power button for 5 seconds and the printer drops into standby automatically. That's all there is to it.

*HP Smart is light years better than the old HP Printer setup, which could be a real drag. Everything you need to control the printer, check on its network address, and view your cartridge capacities. Scanner, copier, and all print and fax capabilities are all handled right from Smart. Using this is so easy it's difficult to describe. Some people seem to have trouble with it because it's so much faster and capable than the old HP software. At least, that's how it looks from my end.

*The Office Jets are for home/small businesses that only need a few dozen or a few hundred pages produced in a single sitting--rapidly. If you do mass mailings (up to thousands, etc.) then that's when the beauty and utility of the Laser work horse comes into focus! This 8030 Office Jet strikes me as ideal for homes/small businesses.

*Another myth about the Ink Jet Instant Ink program is that the Ink is "cheap and inferior" to retail cartridges bought elsewhere. In several years of usage, over two separate Ink Jet printers, I have seen no evidence of this at all.

*I do not work for HP, nor do I sell their products...;) This is simply a recommendation from people who have used the Ink Jet Instant Ink for a long time. That's it. The link below shows several more plans...

https://instantink.hpconnected.com/us/en/n/web_enroll/plans/65

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2024, 11:23.
It is well known that I cannot err--and so, if you should happen across an error in anything I have written you can be absolutely sure that *I* did not write it!...;)

Jul 9, 2024, 00:08
Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 9, 2024, 00:08
Jul 9, 2024, 00:08

Narrator: "YOUR SSD IS GONNA DIE!!!!"

Me: <Shrugs, swaps another one in, PXE boots to do a reinstall in under a minute, reboot, and go right back to where I was prior to swapping out the disk>
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Jul 8, 2024, 19:23
Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 8, 2024, 19:23
Jul 8, 2024, 19:23

HP's experiment with PAAS (printers as a service) continues.
My experience when storage is failing has very few upsides, generally it's too late to back up.
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older