Out of the Blue

Well, my New York Football Giants are in the spotlight with the debut of this new off-season edition of Hard Knocks. This variant on the formula is apparently not even important enough to mention on the Hard Knocks Website, though that may have to do with all the ongoing 300-IQ maneuvering of HBO versus MAX branding. I'm a fan of the series, but there's nothing very positive about being the featured team. Your dirty laundry gets aired, your mistakes are amplified, and if your team manages to look competent, it just ends up unhelpfully raising expectations. To that point, no team has ever even made the Super Bowl the season they were on the show, and overall featured teams have losing records during both the regular season and playoffs. This can't really be described as a "curse" since they choose teams based on interesting storylines, which often involve rebuilding or other problems. This describes the Giants well, so here we are. On the bright side, I think appearing now gives the team the right to veto future appearances for a while, which buys more time to avoid the far-more-intrusive training camp version of the show.

Obituary: Robert Towne: Tributes to Chinatown and Mission: Impossible writer. We just watched The Last Detail two days ago.

Hard Knocks Round-up
Thanks Ant, Neutronbeam, and Max.

Stories

Science

Media

Creature Features

Follow-up

The Funnies

View : : :
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: OotB: Exposed
Jul 6, 2024, 16:21
Re: OotB: Exposed Jul 6, 2024, 16:21
Jul 6, 2024, 16:21

Even in much better circumstances, by some age most everyone's life is, kind of.
We just learn to put condiments on it to hide the taste.

Jul 5, 2024, 13:11
Prez

Re: OotB: Exposed Jul 5, 2024, 13:11
Jul 5, 2024, 13:11
 Prez

Oh, who am I kidding. My life is 💩.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jul 5, 2024, 12:34
Prez

Re: OotB: Exposed Jul 5, 2024, 12:34
Jul 5, 2024, 12:34
 Prez

I, on the other hand, use them to hide my cynical (🙂), grumpy (🤗), pathetic (😋), boring (🤩) existence. How well am I pulling that off do you think?
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jul 5, 2024, 12:12
Re: OotB: Exposed Jul 5, 2024, 12:12
Jul 5, 2024, 12:12

Prez wrote on Jul 5, 2024, 11:32:
No. My version of self control is not having diarrhea of the keyboard and reading the room as it were. You mad?

Oh wait, lemme put a little smiley and a heart to appear less of an annoyed asshole. 😁❤️

We do use smileys too little, though! And exclamation marks! 😃 In every post I make, I'm actually extremely happy and energetic! Like that guy from time square! Love love love! Everybody's love! 🥰❤️😃
In a godless society, nothing is sacred.

Jul 5, 2024, 11:32
Prez

Re: OotB: Exposed Jul 5, 2024, 11:32
Jul 5, 2024, 11:32
 Prez

No. My version of self control is not having diarrhea of the keyboard and reading the room as it were. You mad?

Oh wait, lemme put a little smiley and a heart to appear less of an annoyed asshole. 😁❤️
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jul 5, 2024, 11:27
Re: OotB: Exposed Jul 5, 2024, 11:27
Jul 5, 2024, 11:27

Prez wrote on Jul 5, 2024, 11:05:
Xeth Nyrrow wrote on Jul 5, 2024, 00:16:
A bluesnews thread derailed in to political bickering? Say it ain't so.

Shhh! You can't say that. You have to let the keyboard warriors with no self control and plenty of obsession wear themselves out...
Is this your version of self control?

Jul 5, 2024, 11:05
Prez

Re: OotB: Exposed Jul 5, 2024, 11:05
Jul 5, 2024, 11:05
 Prez

Xeth Nyrrow wrote on Jul 5, 2024, 00:16:

Shhh! You can't say that. You have to let the keyboard warriors with no self control and plenty of obsession wear themselves out...
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jul 5, 2024, 00:16
Re: OotB: Exposed Jul 5, 2024, 00:16
Jul 5, 2024, 00:16

Jul 4, 2024, 13:49
Re: OotB: Exposed Jul 4, 2024, 13:49
Jul 4, 2024, 13:49

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jul 4, 2024, 09:26:
Edit: No wait, seriously, how in the actual fuck can you compare Trump with Hitler though? Maybe educate yourself in who the fuck Hitler was. Maybe visit some memorials in Europe. They say Auschwitz is nice this time of year. Motherfucking hell...
I've always gone more with a comparison to Mussolini as being a bit closer

Jul 4, 2024, 11:29
Prez

Re: OotB: Exposed Jul 4, 2024, 11:29
Jul 4, 2024, 11:29
 Prez

Debatepedia.com

ProCon.org

OpposingViews.com

Debatewise.com

CreateDebate.com

Convinceme.net

Debategraph.org

Woops - I did it again. I have no earthly idea why I keep doing that...
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jul 4, 2024, 10:52
Re: OotB: Exposed Jul 4, 2024, 10:52
Jul 4, 2024, 10:52

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 4, 2024, 09:37:
1badmf wrote on Jul 3, 2024, 18:32:
i will say this. Trump MUST NOT becoming president again. he's every bit 1930s hitler and must be stopped before he becomes 1940s hitler.
Amen,
Thankfully a majority of Americans agree with your sentiment.
Unfortunately, possibly not enough of them are living in the correct states to prevent it.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Jul 4, 2024, 09:37
Re: OotB: Exposed Jul 4, 2024, 09:37
Jul 4, 2024, 09:37

i will say this. Trump MUST NOT becoming president again. he's every bit 1930s hitler and must be stopped before he becomes 1940s hitler.
Amen,
Thankfully a majority of Americans agree with your sentiment.

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 3, 2024, 19:17:
An attempt to end the conversation with a troll, 1badmf? Nice try.
Nope, 1badmf is not joshing.
There are too many parallels between Adolph and donnie to be a coincidence.

“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Jul 4, 2024, 09:26
Re: OotB: Exposed Jul 4, 2024, 09:26
Jul 4, 2024, 09:26

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 3, 2024, 18:13:
ForgedReality wrote on Jul 3, 2024, 17:50:
Just putting it out there: tomorrow may be the last Independence Day in the United States...

It won't be. Let's stop with the Chicken Littling.

How does the kool-aid taste? Fucking hell, people. Pure insanity.

IF he becomes president again, 4 years or less will pass and by then the dems got their pandering heads out of their ass and finally come up with a decent plan to unite the people and beat this fucking clown. We'll look back at the fear-mongering of 2023-2024 and write books about how the media made people clinically insane.

Edit: No wait, seriously, how in the actual fuck can you compare Trump with Hitler though? Maybe educate yourself in who the fuck Hitler was. Maybe visit some memorials in Europe. They say Auschwitz is nice this time of year. Motherfucking hell...
In a godless society, nothing is sacred.

Jul 4, 2024, 09:24
Re: OotB: Exposed Jul 4, 2024, 09:24
Jul 4, 2024, 09:24

jdreyer wrote on Jul 4, 2024, 00:38:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 3, 2024, 18:20:

In the future the question will be asked,
"Where were you when America became a monarchy?"
Iranians talk about that moment in the late 70s.
I thought the Iranians were kicking out the “royals” during that time period.
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Jul 4, 2024, 09:12
Re: OotB: Exposed Jul 4, 2024, 09:12
Jul 4, 2024, 09:12

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 3, 2024, 19:17:
An attempt to end the conversation with a troll, 1badmf? Nice try.

Trump is not Hitler. Hitler believed in things. Trump believes in nothing except whatever is good for him and he couldn't give you a coherent five minutes of what that is.
A few years ago I went on a binge of WWII docs on Netflix. I highly recommend Hitler's Circle of Evil. It's still up on Netflix, maybe other places. It was scarily similar to what we're seeing happen today.
"You can either want something to be true, or you can want the truth. Pick one." - Mr. Diety

Jul 4, 2024, 01:49
Re: OotB: Exposed Jul 4, 2024, 01:49
Jul 4, 2024, 01:49

Cutter wrote on Jul 4, 2024, 00:35:
This isn't the first time, nor will it be the last, that the American pendulum has swung hard right after being on the left for a very long time. If the Dems want to win then they should stop telling people what they want and start listening to them instead. It's not rocket science.
Sorry, but when was the US EVER left? It's been center-right basically my entire life. Democrats, even when they hold power, are not the left, by any stretch of the imagination. I've never once felt represented by a president in my lifetime, and I don't see that changing. Corporations and billionaires run everything, and they will continue to do so until the collapse of capitalism.

Jul 4, 2024, 01:40
Re: OotB: Exposed Jul 4, 2024, 01:40
Jul 4, 2024, 01:40

Cutter wrote on Jul 4, 2024, 00:35:
Right or wrong your average American will still take live free or die over blind obedience any day of the week. 'Murica!

Your average American is unskilled, stupid, ill-educated and lazy. They will do everything in their power, including ignoring acting in their best interest, to avoid being inconvenienced and discomfited at all costs. To the point that they will willingly give up liberty and security for convenience and comfort.

Don't put too much faith in the average American.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Jul 4, 2024, 00:38
Re: OotB: Exposed Jul 4, 2024, 00:38
Jul 4, 2024, 00:38

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 3, 2024, 18:20:

In the future the question will be asked,
"Where were you when America became a monarchy?"
Iranians talk about that moment in the late 70s.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Jul 4, 2024, 00:35
Re: OotB: Exposed Jul 4, 2024, 00:35
Jul 4, 2024, 00:35

ForgedReality wrote on Jul 3, 2024, 23:03:
WannaLogAlready wrote on Jul 3, 2024, 20:30:
Err, Cutter, previsible take.

It's not just Trump and his probable "future convicts" choices as attendants in his tenure, or crazy Vice President choice, as he may not outlive a full 2nd presidency.

It's the free hand served the GOP for other Mitchs, Millers, etc. to crime away a democracy.

Mitch McConnell torpedoed many of Obama's projects, sunk one SCOTUS centrist judge choice, and instead stuffed it with a right wing justices zoo, and their disastrous decisions are affecting millions, and it will get worse, never fear.

And the economy ?.
Economists say that Biden measures precluded worse post pandemic effects that hurt every nation in the world.
Trump's economy was like his vaunted "in 2 weeks" health care reform.
Billionaires and millionaires tax exceptions ? They are the big donators, of course.
He rode Obama's good work, just damaging it with his dumb trade tariffs, etc.

I kind of suspect that Trump green lighted Ukraine's invasion in his closed door reunion with Putin, suspiciously unattended by officials as is the practice, and then derided the USA's experts' findings over Putin's lies, "he told me so", JFC.
Bingo. It's not just the cult leader. It's the road he paves for the real visionaries.

In which case, at worse, you may see secession of New America and Jesusland. Red states and blue states are going to go their own way regardless of who's in charge federally. The end result will be red states devoid of population entirely excepting the hardcore whackos and grifters. Congratulations, your the emperors of nothing. Economically speaking red states are fucked without the blue states carrying them and federal dollars. And those federal dollars they get only come from blue states largess - which would end. No more equalization payments and congratulations you're an emperor of a broke ass state devoid of people.

I really don't understand how people entertain these apocalyptic fantasies like the GOP is going to occupy America at gunpoint and rob everyone blind and there isn't a single thing anyone can do about it. It could never unfold like that in America. In places like Russia and China it can work by virtue of how old those cultures are and how obedience has been bred into them for centuries, if not millennia. Right or wrong your average American will still take live free or die over blind obedience any day of the week. 'Murica!

This isn't the first time, nor will it be the last, that the American pendulum has swung hard right after being on the left for a very long time. If the Dems want to win then they should stop telling people what they want and start listening to them instead. It's not rocket science.
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Jul 3, 2024, 23:03
Re: OotB: Exposed Jul 3, 2024, 23:03
Jul 3, 2024, 23:03

WannaLogAlready wrote on Jul 3, 2024, 20:30:
Err, Cutter, previsible take.

It's not just Trump and his probable "future convicts" choices as attendants in his tenure, or crazy Vice President choice, as he may not outlive a full 2nd presidency.

It's the free hand served the GOP for other Mitchs, Millers, etc. to crime away a democracy.

Mitch McConnell torpedoed many of Obama's projects, sunk one SCOTUS centrist judge choice, and instead stuffed it with a right wing justices zoo, and their disastrous decisions are affecting millions, and it will get worse, never fear.

And the economy ?.
Economists say that Biden measures precluded worse post pandemic effects that hurt every nation in the world.
Trump's economy was like his vaunted "in 2 weeks" health care reform.
Billionaires and millionaires tax exceptions ? They are the big donators, of course.
He rode Obama's good work, just damaging it with his dumb trade tariffs, etc.

I kind of suspect that Trump green lighted Ukraine's invasion in his closed door reunion with Putin, suspiciously unattended by officials as is the practice, and then derided the USA's experts' findings over Putin's lies, "he told me so", JFC.
Bingo. It's not just the cult leader. It's the road he paves for the real visionaries.
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older