19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Rumor Mill
Jun 25, 2024, 07:50
Re: Rumor Mill Jun 25, 2024, 07:50
Jun 25, 2024, 07:50

In the end, life is better if you acknowledge that climate change deniers are silly and not worth the time of day.

Jun 25, 2024, 06:34
Re: Rumor Mill Jun 25, 2024, 06:34
Jun 25, 2024, 06:34

Prez wrote on Jun 24, 2024, 21:48:
Your reality where you get to declare a post silly when he is exactly right. That reality. You don't have to agree; hell I disagree with BoP all the time. But he has never made a bad point since I have known him. Unless you are a Dr. Disrespect fan (I don't judge if you or anyone else is) why would you have anything close to a vested interest in something neither side wants to talk about? That's called gossip where I am from. I'm not into gossip.

My posts get declared trivial all of the time. I also don't care if someone doesn't care about what I care about. I'm not seeing your point in that.

Me declaring a post silly is somehow wrong, but somebody else declaring a subject trivial is right? My point is that everyone is free -- of course -- to have an opinion that a subject is trivial to them, but to engage in said subject declaring that is in and of itself... well, imo silly. Again, I barely know who Dr. Disrespect is. I recognize images of him, but that's all. I even share BoP's opinion that it's not worth my time. Instead of him, however, I instead to decide not to engage in the subject.

Imagine you're at a birthday party and you hear a group of family members talk about something you don't give a shit about. You could do two things: 1.) Let them continue, after all, they seem to care about it or 2.) Interject and tell them you don't give a shit about the subject and you don't understand why they do.

I think choice 2 is silly.

Where are the adults?

Jun 24, 2024, 21:48
Prez

Re: Rumor Mill Jun 24, 2024, 21:48
Jun 24, 2024, 21:48
 Prez

Your reality where you get to declare a post silly when he is exactly right. That reality. You don't have to agree; hell I disagree with BoP all the time. But he has never made a bad point since I have known him. Unless you are a Dr. Disrespect fan (I don't judge if you or anyone else is) why would you have anything close to a vested interest in something neither side wants to talk about? That's called gossip where I am from. I'm not into gossip.

My posts get declared trivial all of the time. I also don't care if someone doesn't care about what I care about. I'm not seeing your point in that.

This comment was edited on Jun 24, 2024, 22:21.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jun 24, 2024, 18:06
Re: Rumor Mill Jun 24, 2024, 18:06
Jun 24, 2024, 18:06

Prez wrote on Jun 24, 2024, 09:08:
Well BoP is right. I'd much rather live in his reality than yours. If you want to keep debating about something that you will never know concerning a guy who is completely unimportant and is at best an amusing distraction because of how stupid he acts, go ahead.

BoP is "right" on this? Rather "his" reality than mine? What is my reality, Prez? Have you been able to deduce that from just that comment of mine?

I haven't wasted a single second on this Dr. Disrespect fellow. I just think that BoP's point was very silly, and can be turned against him (and you) whenever you engage in a discussion someone else finds trivial. It's just such a useless comment, all the time.
Where are the adults?

Jun 24, 2024, 09:32
Re: Rumor Mill Jun 24, 2024, 09:32
Jun 24, 2024, 09:32

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Jun 24, 2024, 08:36:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 22, 2024, 15:07:
At the end of the day, does it matter? Is anyone going to die ruing the day they never learned about the administrative reason for deplatforming someone who will be, at best, a very brief and minor footnote in the history of the Internet? Probably not...unless someone needs a profound amount of therapy.

Such a silly and often expressed line of thinking. We could of course stop every and all discourse except for femine and climate change. But that's not how reality works.

It's silly to ask "Why bother wasting your time on the inconsequential"? I mean, sure, if you want to be a fishmonger, then go right ahead but that doesn't rise to the level of "discourse".

"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Jun 24, 2024, 09:08
Prez

Re: Rumor Mill Jun 24, 2024, 09:08
Jun 24, 2024, 09:08
 Prez

Well BoP is right. I'd much rather live in his reality than yours. If you want to keep debating about something that you will never know concerning a guy who is completely unimportant and is at best an amusing distraction because of how stupid he acts, go ahead.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jun 24, 2024, 08:36
Re: Rumor Mill Jun 24, 2024, 08:36
Jun 24, 2024, 08:36

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 22, 2024, 15:07:
At the end of the day, does it matter? Is anyone going to die ruing the day they never learned about the administrative reason for deplatforming someone who will be, at best, a very brief and minor footnote in the history of the Internet? Probably not...unless someone needs a profound amount of therapy.

Such a silly and often expressed line of thinking. We could of course stop every and all discourse except for femine and climate change. But that's not how reality works.
Where are the adults?

Jun 24, 2024, 08:27
Re: Rumor Mill Jun 24, 2024, 08:27
Jun 24, 2024, 08:27

Okay this escalated fast, is there any actual evidence for all of these outrageous claims or is it just, fuck it....I heard it online, so it must be true?

Jun 22, 2024, 22:31
Jim
Re: Rumor Mill Jun 22, 2024, 22:31
Jun 22, 2024, 22:31
Jim

I don't get this dude's appeal. somebody fleecing his followers with a fake NFT game.

Jun 22, 2024, 21:30
Re: Rumor Mill Jun 22, 2024, 21:30
Jun 22, 2024, 21:30

And we don't know that Twitch DIDN'T turn over evidence.

But yeah, it all depends on what it is.

You don't have to break the law (or potentially do so) to get banned. The ban bar is much, much lower than the arraignment bar

Re: IANAL
Jun 22, 2024, 20:33
Quboid

Re: IANAL Jun 22, 2024, 20:33
Jun 22, 2024, 20:33
 Quboid

That makes sense, BoP, although of course we don't know for sure.

Doc's response is vague, but - assuming it's even true - it doesn't rule this out. "nothing illegal" - so he didn't go as far as to solicit. "didn’t do anything wrong" and "no wrongdoing was found" are meaningless subjective statements that he could be using with a self-serving definition of wrong. "I was paid" is vague but if he did sue Twitch and got favourable settlement terms, it could be some sort of breach of contract because his objectionable behaviour wasn't illegal.

Of course many people have been banned on Twitch without doing anything illegal, but he had his own contract so perhaps Twitch screwed the wording on that.

The only thing that doesn't add up is the payment. Why would Twitch settle in his favour? Even if the case against them was ironclad Doc isn't going to want his DMs exposed in open court, the reputational damage would far outweigh any pay-out. Maybe Twitch didn't want the reputational damage of one of their biggest names being a creep but even then Doc had much more to lose. I don't know, maybe Twitch offered a token sum just to get the whole thing hushed up and be done with it.

Couple of notes on previous comments:
- No, Twitch DMs (Whispers) can't include pictures. They can include links so bad content can be shared.
- Do we know that Twitch didn't contact the police? Maybe they did and the police didn't find enough to pursue it.
- Why does this Conners guy refer to Whispers as "then existing"? They still exist. The Friends feature got removed, but that's tangental at best.

Jun 22, 2024, 17:58
Re: IANAL Jun 22, 2024, 17:58
Jun 22, 2024, 17:58

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 22, 2024, 15:54:
Wouldn’t Twitch be in violation of the law if it was in possession of disrespects whispers (direct messages) and failed to turnover the knowledge of attempted pedophilia to law enforcement?

Depends. If all they were doing was communicating but there was no direct evidence of solicitation (i.e. "Go to Twitchcon and we'll hook up in my hotel room") then no. Innuendos and suggestions (i.e. "Wouldn't it be great if we met at Twitchcon? You sure are pretty") are not actionable since they are free speech. Moreover, if Party A is in State 1 and Party B is in State 2, it crosses state lines and comes under Federal jurisdiction. Specifically, it falls under 18 USC 2422 and 2423. To whit:

*Knowingly persuade, induce, entice, or coerce any minor to travel between states or internationally to engage in prostitution or in any unlawful sexual activity, or to attempt to do so;

*Use the mail or any facility (including the internet) or means of interstate or foreign commerce to knowingly persuade, induce, entice, or coerce any minor to engage in any unlawful sexual activity, or to attempt to do so.

*Knowingly transport a minor between states or internationally with the intent to engage in unlawful sexual activity; or

*Travel between states or internationally for the purpose of engaging in any unlawful sexual conduct with a minor;

Being unfamiliar with Twitch, I do not know if the "whispers" feature offered the ability to send images. If not, then of course there's no ability to prosecute for the solicitation, receiving, or possession of CSAM.

Moreover, it really depends on the content of the messages and whether Twitch's (or really in this case Amazon's) lawyers felt it was worth exposing themselves to a lawsuit from Beahm if said content did not obviously and clearly qualify under the statutes. A person can say to a 16 year old girl "You can suck my cock and then I am going blast rope all over your sweet tits" because it is protected by free speech. There's no inducement or solicitation there. It's a declarative statement. However, saying "Why don't you come over so you can suck my cock so I can blast rope on your sweet tits" is inducement and solicitation.

Also, there isn't much groundwork for Beahm to sue Connors for libel since Connors did not specifically reference Beahm in his tweet. Connors used the pronoun "he" without a referent. "He" is vague enough that, taken in the entire context of Connors tweet which did not seem to link to any other discussion within itself, it doesn't even connect to Beahm as an affirmative declaration.

Then there's the matter of the settlement between Beahm and Twitch/Amazon. There could be a privacy clause that prevents both parties, and their employees, from discussing the specifics of the issue. If that is in place, then Connors probably knows he will get positively reamed in court by both Twitch/Amazon and Beahm if Connors speaks/communicates in anything more than the most vague of terms.

I know way, way too much about CSAM laws both statewide and Federally because it is part of my job. Something can be absolutely reprehensible and gross but not legally actionable in the sense that it is part of the commencement of a crime..
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

Jun 22, 2024, 17:55
Prez

Re: IANAL Jun 22, 2024, 17:55
Jun 22, 2024, 17:55
 Prez

A more pertinent question is why everyone seems to still care. He obviously did something shady or gross, and the agreement is focused on non-disclosure by both parties. Move along people - he really isn't that interesting.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jun 22, 2024, 17:10
Re: IANAL Jun 22, 2024, 17:10
Jun 22, 2024, 17:10

Jivaro wrote on Jun 22, 2024, 16:33:
I was going to ask this. And if not true, wouldn't that make the former employee liable for slander?

This. While knowing the truth would be nice we’re never going to know. Seems like Doc settled with Twitch and while banned got a nice payout. This idiot tweeting (putting in writing/ in public) just opened himself up to libel and defamation suit.

While I’m not a fan per se Doc is entertaining I’ll give him that. The only streamer I’ve ever watched and even then not often. Some of his PUBG streams were gold back in the day, now he’s streaming Elden Ring which is cool. His relevance has waned for sure.

Jun 22, 2024, 16:33
Jivaro

Re: IANAL Jun 22, 2024, 16:33
Jun 22, 2024, 16:33
 Jivaro

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 22, 2024, 15:54:
Wouldn’t Twitch be in violation of the law if it was in possession of disrespects whispers (direct messages) and failed to turnover the knowledge of attempted pedophilia to law enforcement?

I was going to ask this. And if not true, wouldn't that make the former employee libel for slander? (yes, it bothered me enough to fix the spelling)

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2024, 23:44.

IANAL
Jun 22, 2024, 15:54
IANAL Jun 22, 2024, 15:54
Jun 22, 2024, 15:54

“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Jun 22, 2024, 15:07
Re: Rumor Mill Jun 22, 2024, 15:07
Jun 22, 2024, 15:07

I think the author of the Twitch ban piece got it right. No one outside of Beahm and Twitch know concretely what transpired. Everything else is guesswork and the usual stupidity of the kangaroo court of public opinion by uninvolved third parties. Even the guy, Cody Connors, claiming to know why is just that...a claim. It is not proof and cannot be verified.

Jun 22, 2024, 14:09
Re: Rumor Mill Jun 22, 2024, 14:09
Jun 22, 2024, 14:09

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 22, 2024, 13:44:
Disrespect knows the truth and is either too embarrassed to say or just enjoys lying to his worshippers
According to the article, this is now front page news again because of a tweet last night from a former Twitch employee. The article also says Doc was creeping in a minor's DMs trying to plan a meet-up at Twitchcon. I really doubt this is the case otherwise Twitch could have saved face and been the hero in banning Doc but instead are seen as the bad guy. The Tweet sounds more like a disgruntled employee and if you want to put your foil hat on, maybe even the one who got him banned.
Cody Conners on X

Jun 22, 2024, 13:44
Re: Rumor Mill Jun 22, 2024, 13:44
Jun 22, 2024, 13:44

Disrespect knows the truth and is either too embarrassed to say or just enjoys lying to his worshippers
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older