Get Shadows: Awakening for Free

GOG.com announces that with its Summer Sale* fully underway, it has launched one of its signature giveaways. Through the end of the weekend you can head over and permanently add a free copy of Shadows: Awakening for Windows to your game library. The Release Trailer from its 2018 launch has a look at the real-time tactical combat in this isometric single-player RPG. And here's the sales pitch if you need to be sold on a free game:
Shadows: Awakening is the new adventure in the Heretic Kingdoms saga. After the members of the secret council known as the Penta Nera are assassinated, their souls are consumed by the Devourers – evil demons which possess the ability to absorb the memories and personalities of the souls they acquire and materialize them as their puppets. Re-emerging into the mortal realm once again, the demonic Penta Nera continue their quest for power and immortality, but at what cost?
*Blue's News may receive a commission on sales of this item.
View : : :
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Get Shadows: Awakening for Free
Jun 22, 2024, 23:09
Re: Get Shadows: Awakening for Free Jun 22, 2024, 23:09
Jun 22, 2024, 23:09

roguebanshee wrote on Jun 22, 2024, 06:43:
MyRealName wrote on Jun 22, 2024, 05:59:
So it's available for around $2 on numerous external sites, yet it's 15x higher on steam at $30? Something's definitely fishy there.

Either those sites are able to profit on selling keys that were bought for even less than that, or they're peddling keys that are fake, stolen, or perhaps otherwise illegitimate... Or Valve are some shamelessly greedy mofos.
Those sites are all "key reseller" sites, aka market places for keys purchased in regions with lower prices (which usually means region locked), keys purchased with stolen credit cards, keys from bundles, keys handed out as review copies and any number of other methods of getting keys that don't cost (much) money.

These sites are used by various criminals to launder money, and though you can find legitimate keys on them, there's no guarantee that spending money on these sites won't help fund a criminal organisation. Several developers have openly stated that they'd rather you pirate their game than buy keys from these sites. If a key was bought with stolen credit card information, the developer could end up losing several times the cost of the game at full price in compensation & fines to the credit card company.

Yes, those are the grey market key resellers, not to be confused with the legitimate resellers whom purchase keys in bulk directly from the developer/publisher at rates likely a little bit higher than what Steam would pay out, i.e. maybe 75-80% of the expected sale price*. In general, they're still trying to make money, so they tend to not to just permanently slash the price by 90% or more... In this specific case, though, one of those legit resellers has sold keys for as low as $1 on a couple occasions, which is probably where the grey market sellers acquired most of the stock they're still trying to flip for $2-3. The legitimate discounted price looks to be around $8-10 most of the time.

*This is my assumption based on sites such as Green Man Gaming selling brand new titles for upwards of 20% off -- they're sacrificing much of their profit margin to attract sales, leaving themselves something like 5-10%.

Jun 22, 2024, 21:20
Prez

Re: Get Shadows: Awakening for Free Jun 22, 2024, 21:20
Jun 22, 2024, 21:20
 Prez

I found a link to an old video on the subject.

https://youtu.be/twor6RYVtdQ?si=_szZTfN9ckJ9WFFh
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jun 22, 2024, 21:03
Prez

Re: Get Shadows: Awakening for Free Jun 22, 2024, 21:03
Jun 22, 2024, 21:03
 Prez

In my case it was a combination of pretty sporadic usage of my card (I was constantly being bombarded by erroneous fraud alerts because I would make a purchase and then not use it again for weeks or months) and not being the most careful about monitoring usage on it. It ended up that I was on the hook for stuff that had been fraudulently charged multiple times over a month prior. It might have been more painful than it should have been given my indifference to most everything at the time, but it was a major headache. I wouldn't want someone else to go through that is all I am saying.

More importantly G2A sucks - they are shady thieves and certainly none of the revenues they see ever get to any developer, but developers do suffer due to the inevitable charge backs. Most developers would tell you that they would rather that you just pirate the game then buy through G2A.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jun 22, 2024, 16:37
Re: Get Shadows: Awakening for Free Jun 22, 2024, 16:37
Jun 22, 2024, 16:37

RogueSix wrote on Jun 22, 2024, 16:09:
DukeFNukem wrote on Jun 22, 2024, 15:45:
Ah, so the words 'de-facto' were used here to represent the implication that Valve's Steam service is in fact a monopoly in spite of it not being officially recognized as one by the United States government. Or any other government for that matter, at the moment, I guess.

Which raises the question of how that is even possible since our U.S. Government is usually on top of these things. *shrugs*

A monopoly is not illegal per se. The "US government", or its subsidiary institutions rather like the FTC, would only have to be "on top of these things" if Valve would be illegally abusing their (de facto) monopolistic status to further diminish or squeeze out any competition.

This is not even necessary for Valve because of their humongous army of fanboys and elitists (see exhibit Kxmode Wink ). Valve can maintain their de facto monopoly without (almost) any dirty tricks, or at least no tricks that are dirty enough to trigger any substantial legal action, though as some people pointed out around here, Valve did get some slaps on their wrists in certain isolated cases so it's not like they are totally immune or the innocent saints and angels as their fangirl army wants you to believe.

I didn't know this. I've been 'sk00lL3d' so thank you. Monopolies aren't illegal, monopolistic practices/schemes are what's illegal. I got it!

I'm sorry to inform the general public that vaccines DO NOT bestow upon thee eternal life. If you're around the age of 80 you need to be making your peace with God or the easter bunny. Whichever you believe in.

Jun 22, 2024, 16:09
Re: Get Shadows: Awakening for Free Jun 22, 2024, 16:09
Jun 22, 2024, 16:09

DukeFNukem wrote on Jun 22, 2024, 15:45:
Ah, so the words 'de-facto' were used here to represent the implication that Valve's Steam service is in fact a monopoly in spite of it not being officially recognized as one by the United States government. Or any other government for that matter, at the moment, I guess.

Which raises the question of how that is even possible since our U.S. Government is usually on top of these things. *shrugs*

A monopoly is not illegal per se. The "US government", or its subsidiary institutions rather like the FTC, would only have to be "on top of these things" if Valve would be illegally abusing their (de facto) monopolistic status to further diminish or squeeze out any competition.

This is not even necessary for Valve because of their humongous army of fanboys and elitists (see exhibit Kxmode Wink ). Valve can maintain their de facto monopoly without (almost) any dirty tricks, or at least no tricks that are dirty enough to trigger any substantial legal action, though as some people pointed out around here, Valve did get some slaps on their wrists in certain isolated cases so it's not like they are totally immune or the innocent saints and angels as their fangirl army wants you to believe.
-=Threadcrappeur Extraordinaire=-

Jun 22, 2024, 15:45
Re: Get Shadows: Awakening for Free Jun 22, 2024, 15:45
Jun 22, 2024, 15:45

I'm sorry to inform the general public that vaccines DO NOT bestow upon thee eternal life. If you're around the age of 80 you need to be making your peace with God or the easter bunny. Whichever you believe in.

Jun 22, 2024, 14:56
Re: Get Shadows: Awakening for Free Jun 22, 2024, 14:56
Jun 22, 2024, 14:56

de facto
/dĭ făk′tō, dā/

adjective
1. Existing in actuality, especially when contrary to or not established by law.
"de facto segregation; a de facto government."
2. In fact or in practice; in actual use or existence, regardless of official or legal status. (Often opposed to de jure.).
3 Existing in fact whether with lawful authority or not.
"a de facto state of war"
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Jun 22, 2024, 14:37
Re: Get Shadows: Awakening for Free Jun 22, 2024, 14:37
Jun 22, 2024, 14:37

DukeFNukem wrote on Jun 22, 2024, 14:19:
Thank You for the numbers. It's very good data to know about. Although, I wasn't disputing the idea of Valve not being a monopoly. I was asking what the word 'defacto' adds to the meaning as I don't really know what that adds. I've just never heard it put that way since most people already know what a monoply is. Microsoft has held that title for many moons now in the area of operating systems.

I see. I guess "de facto" is just a differentiator/qualifier to make it clear that it is not a 100% monopoly. Sure, publishers can/could choose between Steam, GOG and EGS (and a lesser extent EA who admit some 3rd parties to their store) but due to market share/presence and the distribution of sales (see GOG interview in previous post), Steam is simply the... yeah, de facto Wink ... monopoly.

Same with MS in their heyday. Yes, there were always theoretical alternatives but if you wanted to get anything "serious" done, use certain prevalent programs (nowadays called apps) and if you wanted to create files/data that were/was compatible with the rest of the PC world w/o jumping through hoops or annoyances then you factually had to use Microsoft products. Thus, "de facto" monopoly.

Jun 22, 2024, 14:19
Re: Get Shadows: Awakening for Free Jun 22, 2024, 14:19
Jun 22, 2024, 14:19

Thank You for the numbers. It's very good data to know about. Although, I wasn't disputing the idea of Valve not being a monopoly. I was asking what the word 'defacto' adds to the meaning as I don't really know what that adds. I've just never heard it put that way since most people already know what a monoply is. Microsoft has held that title for many moons now in the area of operating systems.

Jun 22, 2024, 14:00
Re: Get Shadows: Awakening for Free Jun 22, 2024, 14:00
Jun 22, 2024, 14:00

DukeFNukem wrote on Jun 22, 2024, 12:04:
I'm not sure about the emphasis on the word 'defacto' either. It's causes more confusion than clarity for me.

Welp, according to market researchers Valve is making up to $9bn revenue (2023) per year from Steam alone (they supposedly made up to $13bn total revenue in 2022, of which $10bn were from Steam).

Let's go with this $9bn number (all numbers referring to 2023 except Actiblizz which is 2022 figures):

- Valve: $9 billion (Steam alone, 1st and 3rd party revenue)
- Epic: $0.95 billion (EGS alone, 1st and 3rd party revenue)
- GOG: $0.057 billion (GOG store alone, 1st and 3rd party revenue)

♫ ... intermission... ♫

- EA: $1.7 billion - This is EA's total annual "PC & Other" revenue. EA sell games on the EA app/store (formerly a.k.a Origin), Steam, EGS, GOG so there is some overlap with the revenue of the aforementioned platforms as pure EA store/app sales data is not available. It is also possible that the 'Other' part should not be underestimated since this includes browser games and EA/EA Sports might be making quite a lot of dough from browser-based MTX.

- UbiSoft: $0.74 billion - This is Ubi's total annual PC revenue. Ubi sell games on UbiSoft Connect (formerly a.k.a uPlay), EGS, Steam, GOG so there is some overlap with the revenue of the aforementioned platforms as pure UbiSoft Connect sales data is not available.

- Activision Blizzard: $1.65 billion - This is Actiblizz' total PC revenue. Actiblizz sell games/subs on B.net, Steam, EGS, GOG so there is some overlap with the revenue of the aforementioned platforms as pure B.net sales data is not available. Let's not forget WoW here as a (still) major contributor. In fact, the 2022 report mentions explicitly that the drop in revenue from $2.32 billion in 2021 to $1.65 billion in 2022 was mostly attributed to WoW.

So, yeah, de facto monopoly confirmed, especially if you consider the overlap effects. According to an interview with GOG's managing director, when a game is released on Steam and GOG simultaneously, they (GOG) get at the very most 15% of the action IF things go really well for them, i.e. under normal circumstances you can easily say that 9/10 copies sell on Steam.
The interview is from 2019 so things might have ever so slightly shifted when a game is released simultaneously on Steam, GOG and the EGS but things certainly have not shifted in GOG's favor as their revenue has been pretty stagnant over the years (except for a year like 2020 when Cyberpunk is released, of course... then they naturally get a boost in sales). It's probably still like 9/10 copies Steam and 0.5 copies for GOG and EGS each Wink .

Jun 22, 2024, 12:04
Re: Get Shadows: Awakening for Free Jun 22, 2024, 12:04
Jun 22, 2024, 12:04

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 22, 2024, 11:06:
You are putting too much thought into this.
You should throw your back out instead, mindlessly carrying water for a defacto monopoly.
It's easier that way.

I'm confused. Are you for or against Valve and their Steam platform? The gap in pricing is a very interesting topic. Maybe, it's a strategy on the Developer's part since Valve isn't the one setting the prices anyway. And if my theory is, in fact...true, then 'MyRealName''s comment doesn't make any sense. But let's verify the theory first. Why would Valve be the one setting prices on a developers property? That's not for them to do. 1. Developer set's price 2. Valve takes their cut (30%) 3. End of story

So my guess goes something like this:
1. Developer knows Valve is more popular than 'The Beatles' and 'Michael Jackson' combined.
2. Developer sets price high on Steam where everybody checks the price because it's what people do.
3. Developer sells massive keys to other digital companies at lower prices knowing people will see this and make purchase outside the Steam ecosystem at a rate much higher than Steam purchases.
4. So, they get what they wanted in the end anyway, in a round about sort of way.
5. And the $30 sales on Steam are just icing on the cake, if someone is dumb enough to purchase at that price

I'm not sure about the emphasis on the word 'defacto' either. It's causes more confusion than clarity for me.

This comment was edited on Jun 22, 2024, 12:39.

Jun 22, 2024, 11:51
Re: Get Shadows: Awakening for Free Jun 22, 2024, 11:51
Jun 22, 2024, 11:51

Prez wrote on Jun 22, 2024, 10:55:
If you ever had your credit card stolen you would know how stressful that is trying to contest charges that aren't yours.

Maybe this is just my issuer but I have had that happen twice and both times it was relatively painless. Once, they called me up on a Sunday and asked "Mr. Burrito, are you in India by chance?" Nope. They asked me when the last time I used the card, I told them, and they scrubbed all charges that occurred after that date. Because it is my main card, they couriered a replacement card to me the next day. The second time it happened, they called me and asked if I was trying to spend $5000 at Walmart. I laughed and said "No". Since it was a business day, they just overnighted me a replacement card. I have taken that credit line with me all over the globe.

If you're in a subprime demographic and have a shitty and/or suspicious-of-you issuer, I can see how it might cause a headache though.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Jun 22, 2024, 11:06
Re: Get Shadows: Awakening for Free Jun 22, 2024, 11:06
Jun 22, 2024, 11:06

So it's available for around $2 on numerous external sites, yet it's 15x higher on steam at $30? Something's definitely fishy there.

Either those sites are able to profit on selling keys that were bought for even less than that, or they're peddling keys that are fake, stolen, or perhaps otherwise illegitimate... Or Valve are some shamelessly greedy mofos.
You are putting too much thought into this.
You should throw your back out instead, mindlessly carrying water for a defacto monopoly.
It's easier that way.
“We’ve arranged a society on science and technology in which nobody understands anything about science and technology, and this combustible mixture of ignorance and power sooner or later is going to blow up in our faces." Carl Sagan

Jun 22, 2024, 10:55
Prez

Re: Get Shadows: Awakening for Free Jun 22, 2024, 10:55
Jun 22, 2024, 10:55
 Prez

Cutter wrote on Jun 22, 2024, 01:24:
Prez wrote on Jun 21, 2024, 22:23:
I'm not familiar with any others but I would rather pay $60 for a game on Steam then give G2A a nickel. They are opportunistic thieves taking advantage of credit card theft to get rich. Definitely not for me.

And CC companies are thieves who get away with legal usury so why would you have even an iota of sympathy for them?

I don't give a two penny damn about credit card companies. If you ever had your credit card stolen you would know how stressful that is trying to contest charges that aren't yours. It might destroy your credit in the process for months before it gets straightened out. I care about the everyday joe.
- Mahatma Gandhi

Jun 22, 2024, 06:43
Re: Get Shadows: Awakening for Free Jun 22, 2024, 06:43
Jun 22, 2024, 06:43

Those sites are all "key reseller" sites, aka market places for keys purchased in regions with lower prices (which usually means region locked), keys purchased with stolen credit cards, keys from bundles, keys handed out as review copies and any number of other methods of getting keys that don't cost (much) money.

These sites are used by various criminals to launder money, and though you can find legitimate keys on them, there's no guarantee that spending money on these sites won't help fund a criminal organisation. Several developers have openly stated that they'd rather you pirate their game than buy keys from these sites. If a key was bought with stolen credit card information, the developer could end up losing several times the cost of the game at full price in compensation & fines to the credit card company.

Jun 22, 2024, 05:59
Re: Get Shadows: Awakening for Free Jun 22, 2024, 05:59
Jun 22, 2024, 05:59

Jun 22, 2024, 01:46
Re: Get Shadows: Awakening for Free Jun 22, 2024, 01:46
Jun 22, 2024, 01:46

Kxmode wrote on Jun 21, 2024, 21:17:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 21, 2024, 20:47:
GOG
$0.00
Them windmills won't tilt themselves.
no mas
I was highlighting the fact that there are other places to buy Steam games at a significantly cheaper price than the "$29.99 on Steam" you pointed out.

So what's your reply to him? He said he'd rather pay $50 than give any of them a nickel..

The Don Quixote analogy is really played out. It's not imagination to point out that Steam has better pricing outside of its platform, something many of you seem to forget.

Anyhow, you enjoy your free copy of Shadows: Awakening 👍

Jun 22, 2024, 01:24
Re: Get Shadows: Awakening for Free Jun 22, 2024, 01:24
Jun 22, 2024, 01:24

Prez wrote on Jun 21, 2024, 22:23:
I'm not familiar with any others but I would rather pay $60 for a game on Steam then give G2A a nickel. They are opportunistic thieves taking advantage of credit card theft to get rich. Definitely not for me.

And CC companies are thieves who get away with legal usury so why would you have even an iota of sympathy for them?
"Van Gogh painted alone and in despair and in madness and sold one picture in his entire life. Millions struggled alone, unrecognized, and struggled as heroically as any famous hero. Was it worthless? I knew it wasn't."

Jun 21, 2024, 22:23
Prez

Re: Get Shadows: Awakening for Free Jun 21, 2024, 22:23
Jun 21, 2024, 22:23
 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi

Jun 21, 2024, 21:17
Kxmode

Re: Get Shadows: Awakening for Free Jun 21, 2024, 21:17
Jun 21, 2024, 21:17
 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 21, 2024, 20:47:
GOG
$0.00
Them windmills won't tilt themselves.
no mas
I was highlighting the fact that there are other places to buy Steam games at a significantly cheaper price than the "$29.99 on Steam" you pointed out.

The Don Quixote analogy is really played out. It's not imagination to point out that Steam has better pricing outside of its platform, something many of you seem to forget.

Anyhow, you enjoy your free copy of Shadows: Awakening 👍
"Listen, Peter... with great horsepower comes... the sickest drifts..." - source
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older